What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obamacare: Obama just straight up lied to you, in your face (4 Viewers)

Yes, USA insurance companies are doing quite well.  I just don't understand why they need to socialize their cornovirus costs.
At least for the testing part a member of Congress got the head on the CDC to invoke his powers to declare that the feds would cover all testing costs.  

Universal coverage is not the answer. It never has been the answer. Corona virus has showed us that countries with universal healthcare systems are woefully inadequate.  look at all the countries who's got the highest death rates and you'll see that they're all almost exclusively universal coverage countries.

Corona virus has put the final nail in this coffin.
Yes, USA insurance companies are doing quite well.  I just don't understand why they need to socialize their cornovirus costs.
Absolutely.  Make no mistake about it, US health insurers will profit from Covid-19.  UnitedHealth Group released its first-quarter earnings report this morning, reporting $3.4 billion in profit for the quarter on $64.4 billion in revenue (up from $60.3 billion in the first quarter of 2019.)  (https://www.unitedhealthgroup.com/content/dam/UHG/PDF/investors/2020/UNH-Q1-2020-Release.pdf)

UHG was just tabbed to administer the $30 Billion CARES Act Provider Relief Fund, meaning they will surely have a fantastic 2020. To call this the fox guarding the hen-house is a massive understatement.

UnitedHealth has begun demanding its network docs take pay reductions under threat of termination of their network agreements.  The goal is to shrink its provider network, while at the same time they continue to buy up doctor practices across the country (UHG, an insurance company and claims adminstrator, is also the largest private employer of physicians in the US).  Although insurers are waiving co-pays for testing, they are definitely not waiving co-pays for treatment.  This will be a very expensive disease to get, especially if you need a week in the ICU, and even moreso if your doc stood up to UHG and got booted from your network, unbeknownst to you and his other patients.  This used to be unthinkable, but now is quite common source of surprise billings - when your hospital or clinic is in-network but your doc suddenly is not.

Anyone who gets this disease needs to be very careful on the insurance side of things.  Probably not something you want to be focusing on as you're being admitted to an ICU, but could easily be a decision with a $10k or more implication.

I have a question for any health insurance guys who may be reading. I retired at 62 thinking I had VA health care turns out I didn't because my income was to high. I was going to try and wait it out till I turned 65 and got medicare still have a year  and 8 months till that happens.

Recently the lymph nodes on the side of my neck and my face have swollen up the one on my neck is really big. So I went to Doc and of course they want to run a lot of tests but being uninsured I just cant afford these tests. The doc suggested going to emergency room they could run all the tests and I could pay them a little at a time. I'm thinking yea right probably for the rest my life because of the costs of those things.

So my question is since I can't enroll in the ACA right now if I try to go private will they just go preexisting condition if I try to make claim after I get insurance. I went to doc today so they would see that and deny claim right?

Do I have any options? Thanks for any info appreciate it.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, Rusty.  With everything going on, things are pretty crazy in my line of work.  I think your question(s) have been answered here, but just to reiterate, you are kinda stuck here.  Well, when did you lose VA benefits?  If that was recently, you may still be within a "qualifying event window" to enroll in an ACA plan.  If that was more than say 60 days ago, then the system is set up to prevent someone from doing exactly what it is you're attempting to do (just buy coverage when you need it).  There is also talk of having another "open enrollment" window for everyone - but thus far at least in Virginia that's only happened in the group markets, not individual.

Also, someone mentioned getting a job - that wouldn't qualifying you for getting coverage in an individual ACA plan, as your income is apparently already too high for a VA plan, I doubt the extra income from stocking grocery shelves would change much of anything on that end.  If you could obtain employer sponsored (group) coverage with that employment, that's pretty much your only option now.

As to the part above that I bolded, the ACA is/are private plans.  If you go onto healthcare.gov (or a state exchange if your state has one) you'll see plans offered by private companies.  Those are "on exchange plans", but the off exchange plans are pretty much identical (might be a pricing difference, but the plans are still from private companies.  If you mean short term plans or something like that - they will most definitely either deny you a policy, or not pay anything related to anything you've already got (aka pre-exisiting conditions).

Absolutely.  Make no mistake about it, US health insurers will profit from Covid-19.  UnitedHealth Group released its first-quarter earnings report this morning, reporting $3.4 billion in profit for the quarter on $64.4 billion in revenue (up from $60.3 billion in the first quarter of 2019.)  (https://www.unitedhealthgroup.com/content/dam/UHG/PDF/investors/2020/UNH-Q1-2020-Release.pdf)

UHG was just tabbed to administer the $30 Billion CARES Act Provider Relief Fund, meaning they will surely have a fantastic 2020. To call this the fox guarding the hen-house is a massive understatement.

UnitedHealth has begun demanding its network docs take pay reductions under threat of termination of their network agreements.  The goal is to shrink its provider network, while at the same time they continue to buy up doctor practices across the country (UHG, an insurance company and claims adminstrator, is also the largest private employer of physicians in the US).  Although insurers are waiving co-pays for testing, they are definitely not waiving co-pays for treatment.  This will be a very expensive disease to get, especially if you need a week in the ICU, and even moreso if your doc stood up to UHG and got booted from your network, unbeknownst to you and his other patients.  This used to be unthinkable, but now is quite common source of surprise billings - when your hospital or clinic is in-network but your doc suddenly is not.

Anyone who gets this disease needs to be very careful on the insurance side of things.  Probably not something you want to be focusing on as you're being admitted to an ICU, but could easily be a decision with a $10k or more implication.
"UnitedHealth Group" is more than just their health insurance business.  They have their hands in a lot of health related fields. If just looking at the health insurance piece (their largest piece) it was $2.9B earnings from $51.1B in revenues - an operating margin of 5.7%.  Operating margins are generally higher in the first quarter of a calendar year for health insurers as they aren't yet paying huge benefits with people not yet hitting their deductibles/OOPs (for instance their operating margin the last 3 months of 2019 was only 4.3%).

Now, I understand that's a huge number - $2.9B for a quarter.  But in total they coverage about 53M people over that time.  Run the numbers, it's just under $53 per person in profit for the quarter, for what's generally their most profitable quarter.  A good rule of thumb is that a commercial carrier, on average, makes about $100-200 in profit per person per year.  They just need to cover a whole lot of people to get to those huge numbers.  And one good sized health issue (like a pandemic) wipes it all out.  I'm actually interested to see their numbers for this year with so many people delaying/canceling voluntary services - but also  the additional expenses from covid. 

ETA - on the bolded, lots of states (including my own) are putting laws in place to prevent these.  Shouldn't be up to the individual to find out if every doc in a participating facility is in fact participating.  It still happens, but this is the new hot topic the last year or two with networks shrinking to cut costs (and then, at least in theory, lower insurance costs).

Last edited by a moderator:
"UnitedHealth Group" is more than just their health insurance business.  They have their hands in a lot of health related fields. If just looking at the health insurance piece (their largest piece) it was $2.9B earnings from $51.1B in revenues - an operating margin of 5.7%.  Operating margins are generally higher in the first quarter of a calendar year for health insurers as they aren't yet paying huge benefits with people not yet hitting their deductibles/OOPs (for instance their operating margin the last 3 months of 2019 was only 4.3%).

Now, I understand that's a huge number - $2.9B for a quarter.  But in total they coverage about 53M people over that time.  Run the numbers, it's just under $53 per person in profit for the quarter, for what's generally their most profitable quarter.  A good rule of thumb is that a commercial carrier, on average, makes about $100-200 in profit per person per year.  They just need to cover a whole lot of people to get to those huge numbers.  And one good sized health issue (like a pandemic) wipes it all out.  I'm actually interested to see their numbers for this year with so many people delaying/canceling voluntary services - but also  the additional expenses from covid. 

ETA - on the bolded, lots of states (including my own) are putting laws in place to prevent these.  Shouldn't be up to the individual to find out if every doc in a participating facility is in fact participating.  It still happens, but this is the new hot topic the last year or two with networks shrinking to cut costs (and then, at least in theory, lower insurance costs).
UHC's numbers are broken down in the release.  The insurance side is doing very well,  although admittedly the growth was driven by other parts of the conglomerate.  The takeaway, which I think should be obvious to all, is that health insurers are not going to suffer financially from CV19.  Their public rhetoric will assure us that they are, above all, focused on their mission of ensuring the health and well-being of their insureds, but the focus will be where its always been - on growth and profit - and they will see this crisis as one of opportunity, not a matter of short-term sacrifice in the interests of public health.

Full disclosure - Optum and UHC are two of my biggest clients. My business would fold without them, so this is all good news for me on a purely selfish level.

Regarding state laws on out-of-network charges.  My state put one in place yesterday.  The wording, in my opinion, is not particularly helpful.  One of the conditions is that an insurer is restricted from charging out of network rates only if no in-network doctor is available.  Who decides what that means and how can anyone determine that in an emergency situation? Anyone who works in this industry knows full well - these companies are not going to give up anything due to this crisis.  Its much more likely they are working hard to use the current situation to put permanent changes in place that further protect their massive profits at the expense of our healthcare.

Users who are viewing this thread