What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Obama's Back! (1 Viewer)

If this is the case...then I guess that the results would be the final word?

Obama had eight years culminating with little or no results....President Trump is in his second year.  I guess we'll have the final word in 2024?
Not necessarily. We may not have the final word until 2034. Or later. Hell, economists are still arguing over the causes of the Great Depression. 

Here’s what I would say: 

1. Obama began with a terrible economy. He attempted to make it recover with two large expenditures: the bank bailout, which worked, and the stimulus, which mostly failed. 

2. Other than those two big efforts, Obama interfered with the economy by tightening restrictions and by raising some taxes, and by cutting some government spending. This had the effect of hurting the economy somewhat, but it helped to protect the environment, avoid future banking catastrophes,  and bring down the annual deficit which slowed the amount of debt increase. 

3. Obama’s other big effort, Obamacare, has had no significant effect on the economy so far. (It probably will long term.) 

4. Economic growth recovered during Obama’s second term and by the end of it things were looking good. 

5. Trump has cut taxes, reversed Obama’s environmental controls, and on banking. This has had the positive effect of spurring economic growth even beyond what it was doing under Obama. It has had the negative effect of increasing the deficit and debt, hurting the environment, and eventually making a repeat of 2008 more likely. In addition, many economists believe the spurt is only short term because the real problems with our economy haven’t been dealt with: the change to automation for one, the growing need for an alternative to carbon fuels for another. For now, however we are in a boom and Trump deserves some or most of the credit. 

Thats my impression. You tell me where you disagree. 

I find it interesting that many on the right have this contempt for educated people. I do think there may be something to exposing their own insecurity about their own education and it somehow makes them feel better about themselves by saying using articulate words is condescending.

Add in the color of Obama’s skin and then this feeling is heightened.
You do realize that if it were not for those racist white people, Obama would not have gotten elected. 

I assume you are not stupid and know this already.

Has President Trump's Justice Department brought ANY charges against anyone in Obama's administration?

Hell....most of Obama's Justice Department has either quit or been fired during investigations of President Trump's campaign!

What would you expect to happen IF Jeff Sessions even made an attempt to actually investigate any part the Obama administration....you remember them...."the most transparent administration in history"?
Good posting old boss and staff same as the new boss

This is tiresome. Argue you're not a racist all you want, we don't know you. The fact of the matter is that you happily stand shoulder to shoulder with racists and accept their support. Scoffing every time someone brings it up is getting old. 
Actually, bringing it up everytime someone disagrees with you about anything that has to do with a dark skinned person is what is tiresome.

The rest of your post is a joke frankly 

I miss Obama as president. I do not miss these threads. Holy balls people. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I will take this as being directed at me since I brought up the "condescending" remark. First off, DO NOT ever accuse me of racism. Period.

The rest of your statement is ridiculous as well. I have no insecurities about people that are more intelligent than I am. In fact, I admire them. I also don't deny that Obama is far more intelligent than Trump. Trump is an embarrassment in how little he chooses to educate himself on important matters. He is simplistic in his speeches because he doesn't have a depth of understanding about most subjects. IMO, Obama comes off as condescending on many occasions as if he thinks of himself as better than anyone in the room. It's a speech pattern, a delivery and a style. Along with my VO work, I also am an AV tech for corporate events. I have seen hundreds of speeches in my 25 years in the business, from Presidents to bank CEOs to celebrities to leaders in every industry, as well as the low to mid level execs. Without even listening to the content, you can tell a lot about the person from their speaking style. If you can't see how Obama could turn people off and Trump can lift others up, content be damned, you aren't paying attention.
Your last sentence is bizarre.  Trump lifts himself up at the tallies and the people cheer.  Obama challenge and inspires others to lift themselves and those around them up. 

I think you are judging how you react and projecting that on the majority.  You are crazy wrong.  

Plus I think there are a lot of people that were not comfortable with a black president - but they wouldn't be qualified as racists (as far as hatred of minorities).

Your last sentence is bizarre.  Trump lifts himself up at the tallies and the people cheer.  Obama challenge and inspires others to lift themselves and those around them up. 

I think you are judging how you react and projecting that on the majority.  You are crazy wrong.  
That's cool. The difference is that I can see how you feel and know others feel the same way. You are not wrong and neither am I.

Why did you feel the need to bring up race today?
Not sure what you're asking me. I only responded to other posts on the topic. 

I stand shoulder to shoulder with racists? :lol:

Joke
I'm confused. Is your argument that Trump is not supported by white supremacists and the alt-right? You are on the same side as the racists in this country, deal with it. They love Trump and have for years. Openly. Justify it however you want but at least do it with your eyes open. 

I'm confused. Is your argument that Trump is not supported by white supremacists and the alt-right? You are on the same side as the racists in this country, deal with it. They love Trump and have for years. Openly. Justify it however you want but at least do it with your eyes open. 
I stand shoulder to shoulder with Trump?

When? Where? How?

Plus I think there are a lot of people that were not comfortable with a black president - but they wouldn't be qualified as racists (as far as hatred of minorities).
You don't have to be violent or outright hateful to be racist. Anyone who fit your description of "not comfortable with a black president" is racist. Period. There don't need to be ####### lynchings to figure out who is racist.

I stand shoulder to shoulder with Trump?

When? Where? How?
Oh, are you one of those posters who supports and defends the things Trump does and his policies but doesn't consider himself a Trump supporter? Or am I mixing you up entirely and forgetting you're actually anti-Trump? What are you getting at with this playing dumb act. You know exactly what I'm saying and how it relates to what you choose to post here. 

The Nation of Islam supported Obama. They are racist. Anyone that supported Obama is racist.

See how silly that sounds?

FTR, Cowboyfan8 is neither a racist nor a Trump supporter. He is a traditional conservative who tends to believe that much of the criticism against Trump is partisan, hysterical, over the top and misguided. (He’s wrong.) 

Obama had eight years culminating with little or no results.
By the most popular measure trotted out there by Trump supporters (401Ks) the result under Obama was well over a 100% increase in value of those types of accounts during his tenure.  Personally, mine was almost 150%.

It's a really stupid measure to determine success, but Trump supporters are hell bent on using it, so use it. :shrug:  

You don't have to be violent or outright hateful to be racist. Anyone who fit your description of "not comfortable with a black president" is racist. Period. There don't need to be ####### lynchings to figure out who is racist.
Right.  I am just saying that I think many of those people would not consider themselves racist because they don't feel hate for minorities in their day to day.

That's cool. The difference is that I can see how you feel and know others feel the same way. You are not wrong and neither am I.
Agreed - I objected to this part "you aren't paying attention" but just reread it.

But again I would question if Trump actually "lifts" anyone up.  

Anyhow, back to the topic: Obama was at Anaheim today with a bunch of local candidates, among them Harley Rouda, who is seeking to defeat Dana Rohrabacher. 

I like Harley a lot. He’s a pro-business Democrat. I got to meet him last year at the gun control rally we had in Huntington Beach just after Parkland. I got to talk to him briefly, shook his hand. I gave him $200 a few months ago after he secured the nomination. Hopefully this appearance with President Obama puts him over the top.  :thumbup:

Probably already covered, but how funny is it that the administration is concerned over Obama's impact on Donny Two Scoops....just from these speeches?  :lol:  

Right.  I am just saying that I think many of those people would not consider themselves racist because they don't feel hate for minorities in their day to day.
I think you're probably right about that, which is part of the problem. The lack of self-awareness and ability to fool themselves. 

umm, that's racist, dude.

Edit:  I see you've responded to this.  

Probably already covered, but how funny is it that the administration is concerned over Obama's impact on Donny Two Scoops....just from these speeches?  :lol:  
Smell the panic?  

Headlines on Fox News:

Failed Obama attacks successful Trump in bitter swan song

Obama tries to demonize Trump voters, following Hillary's losing strategy

Obama is facing what many in national security have been facing for some time, and that is whether to adhere to norms & traditions which are so important or to break one, which requires reticence and deference to the current president, to protect the multiple others which are being violated daily by that president. It’s not easy. He also faces the fatigue issue in which voters are resistant to what they have already put behind them. Love or hate him or meh for many Americans Obama is supposed to be done, retired. 

Its all part of the conundrum of Trump where his breaking norms forces others into breaking them to defeat him and where some of the most prominent leaders who could oppose him are bound up in past tendencies. Tough calls for all but as for myself the speech I saw was terrific and refreshingly... normal.

Obama misses the spotlight

or prepping for a new book, or making millions from speaking engagements .... I guess the left needs someone to rally around, it wasn't Hillary

Obama misses the spotlight

or prepping for a new book, or making millions from speaking engagements .... I guess the left needs someone to rally around, it wasn't Hillary
Fortunately, no one on the left has given Hillary a second thought in about two years.

Obama is facing what many in national security have been facing for some time, and that is whether to adhere to norms & traditions which are so important or to break one, which requires reticence and deference to the current president, to protect the multiple others which are being violated daily by that president. It’s not easy. He also faces the fatigue issue in which voters are resistant to what they have already put behind them. Love or hate him or meh for many Americans Obama is supposed to be done, retired. 

Its all part of the conundrum of Trump where his breaking norms forces others into breaking them to defeat him and where some of the most prominent leaders who could oppose him are bound up in past tendencies. Tough calls for all but as for myself the speech I saw was terrific and refreshingly... normal.
Why do these "norms" even exist?  Just because one is done being President doesn't mean they lose their right to voice their opinion.  I've never understood this concept.

I will make this bet with anyone who wants to make it.  For every time Obama speaks out during the rest of the Trump Presidency, I will give them $1.  For every time Trump speaks out during the administration that follows him, you give me $1.  Anyone want to take me up on this wager?

I will take this as being directed at me since I brought up the "condescending" remark. First off, DO NOT ever accuse me of racism. Period.
People that support someone who has engaged in demonstrably racist statements and actions, who surround themselves with racists and support other racists are racist.  People that defend, justify, and support racists are racists.  If you don’t want to be called a racist, you should think about distancing yourself from blatant racism.

Unusual for a former prez to rip on the current and normally would be pretty uncool. But then we have the unusual current situation with the little child in the White House.

Pretty delicate position Obama puts himself in by doing this but he’s decided he’s not going to sit and listen.

I’d guess there’s a not much of a net gain if you just look at votes since the mouth breathing wing portion of Trump fans get exicited on bashing Obama. 

I have many co-workers, neighbors, family members, and a few friends who are racist but not a one of them thinks they're racist.  Once in a while, they'll go on a rant about s, muslims, Mexicans, etc. but still claim not to be racist but just telling it like it is. 

a co-worker is convinced black people are lazy.  He works with a couple black guys who seem alright and he likes them and that proves he's not racist.  he views the black people he works with as 'one of the good ones'.  a female co-worker got married a few years back and didn't invite anybody from work because she was worried about some of her co-workers and the fact that there would be multiple black people at her wedding.  I had conversation with a co-worker after Trump was elected and after some back and forth we got onto Trumps racism.  the co-worker first denied Trump was a racist.  I pointed out he was sued for discrimination and went through that story.  My co-workers comment was then something along the lines of 'well maybe I wouldn't want black people in my building either', at which I then had to point out that would make him racist.  he scoffed.  just because he doesn't want to live next to black people doesn't make him a racist.  :mellow:

I was at a high school football game a couple weeks ago where we were playing a school that has predominantly Muslim kids.  some of the comments I heard from our crowd were cringe inducing, things like calling Homeland Security and stuff. I believe none of these people view themselves as bigoted. 

I find it interesting that many on the right have this contempt for educated people. I do think there may be something to exposing their own insecurity about their own education and it somehow makes them feel better about themselves by saying using articulate words is condescending.

Add in the color of Obama’s skin and then this feeling is heightened.
:goodposting:  I was told it didn't used to be like this, but as long as I've been alive it has been. I wasn't around for the pre-Limbaugh days.

ConnSKINS26 said:

Ohh you didn't know? Cowboysfan8 voted for Hillary and was a D.

I love that story

This is a bit of a non-sequitur - but I really did not want to start a new thread on Obama.

But, I have been absorbing some Hamilton content over the last few days, and came across the time when the cast spent the day at the White House.  The held a workshop during the day with a group of High School students, and then performed the show at the White House that night.

The First Lady Delivers Remarks at "Hamilton at the White House" Workshop

President Obama Welcomes the Broadway Cast of "Hamilton"

Just watching both Obama's made me realize that we were lucky to have them as First Family, and it may be a long time before we see another first family with that level of humanity, warmth, and genuine caring.

Users who are viewing this thread