What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Odd Data Situation ATT/iPhone X (1 Viewer)

glvsav37

Footballguy
Since we got our new iPhone X's we have been going over our data limit.  We thought for sure it was our teen daughter and told her to cut out streaming stuff when not on wifi. 

Yesterday we got another notification from ATT about being close to our limit, so we started looking into the data usage.

Turns out we are seeing some chunks data being consumed on each phone, all at the same exact time, 3-4 times a day each, and all using cellular data. The kicker is that its happening when we are normally home and within good wifi range. 

We are assuming it is an update of some sort happening, but don't understand why its using cellular data, and what app or service it is that would be on all 3 phones?

I am going to call ATT, but wanted to see if any of the iPhone experts had any ideas first. 

i have a question sort of related to that if my phone is on both data and wifi does it just use the wifi or will it still use data if the wifi is crappy or taking too long or something thanks brohans take that to the bank 

Since we got our new iPhone X's we have been going over our data limit.  We thought for sure it was our teen daughter and told her to cut out streaming stuff when not on wifi. 

Yesterday we got another notification from ATT about being close to our limit, so we started looking into the data usage.

Turns out we are seeing some chunks data being consumed on each phone, all at the same exact time, 3-4 times a day each, and all using cellular data. The kicker is that its happening when we are normally home and within good wifi range. 

We are assuming it is an update of some sort happening, but don't understand why its using cellular data, and what app or service it is that would be on all 3 phones?

I am going to call ATT, but wanted to see if any of the iPhone experts had any ideas first. 
Dumb questions, but are you sure everyone is connecting to WiFi and/or is your WiFi working correctly?

Try turning cellular data off on the phones and see when/if the phone sends a message telling you to turn it in for an app to function 

This happened to our phones years ago. I searched the Internet and found a solution. I can't remember exactly what I did. Sorry GB. If i can remember, Ill reach out

Turn off Wi--Fi Assist in settings.  
I'll try that, but:

How Wi-Fi Assist works

With Wi-Fi Assist, you can stay connected to the Internet even if you have a poor Wi-Fi connection. For example, if you're using Safari with a poor Wi-Fi connection and a webpage doesn't load, Wi-Fi Assist will activate and automatically switch to cellular so that the webpage continues to load. You can use Wi-Fi Assist with most apps like Safari, Apple Music, Mail, Maps, and more. 
These updates seem to be happening when we are home. My office is literally 10 feet from my modem. It would be strange if it was a signal strength issue. 

Unrelated but my wife's phone was using huge chunks of data for navigation for a few months. She was using the nav thru Android auto but it should not have been such a heavy amount. We never did find out why.

My usage spikes primarily when my phone is being used as a hotspot and is connecting to one of my kids ipads.

We do this on long trips so they can watch netflix, but when we get home sometimes the ipads still default to connecting to my phone.

Not sure if you use your phone as a hotspot, or have other devices in your home like ipads or anything else that would use it, but it's a place to look.

Users who are viewing this thread