What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Odd Sports Facts (1 Viewer)

Jobu

Footballguy
Some odd facts from different sports...

Major League Baseball umpires are required to wear black underwear while on the job in case they split their pants.

In the NFL, the home team must provide 36 footballs for outdoor games and 24 for indoor games.

Left-handed people are better at sports that require good spatial judgment and fast reaction, compared to right-handed individuals.

It's been said that players with brown eyes are better hitters than those with blue eyes.
Those with darker eyes can spot the white ball easier.

Wrestler Kevin Nash was once the second most recruited player out of Michigan, behind none other than Magic Johnson.

Basketball legend Wilt Chamberlain never fouled out of a game.

Many Japanese golfers carry "hole-in-one" insurance because it is traditional in Japan to share one's good luck by sending gifts to all your friends when you get an "ace." The price for what the Japanese term an "albatross" can often reach $10,000.

The NFL estimates that more than 100 children are conceived every year at tailgate parties in the Super Bowl parking lot.

Despite not playing baskeball since high school, Bruce Jenner was drafted No. 139 by the NBA’s Kansas City Kings after winning the men’s decathlon at the 1976 Olympics.

Starting in 1990, Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls never had a three-game losing streak for eight years.

Joe Gibbs is the only coach to win the Super Bowl with three different quarterbacks.

Michael Jordan’s nickname is high school was Magic, after Magic Johnson.

James Fixx, the creator of the word “jogging” died from a heart attack while jogging.

**** Hoyt and his son Rick, who is fully paralyzed, have participated in countless sporting events under the name “Team Hoyt”. The two even completed six Iron Man events together. **** first swam 2.5 miles, pulling his son in a boat behind him, then rode a bicycle over the roads for 112 miles, before pushing him in a wheelchair for another 26.2 miles.

Finland has hosted the official “Wife Carrying World Championship” since 1992. In this competition, men carry their wives as fast as possible over a long obstacle course. In the end, the winner receives his wife’s weight in beer.

In 1957 a senior woman had to be brought out of a baseball stadium after being hit in her face by a baseball. When the paramedics were carrying her out, a second ball hit her.

In 1923, a dead rider finished first in a horse race in New York. The rider suffered a heart attack during the race and the horse carried the dead body to the finishing line

Jobu

I was at a game and Benji Molina hit a triple.  

At another game, manager Gene Mauch brought in an OFer to be a fifth IF with the bases loaded in the 9th.  The first pitch after this sailed over the back stop and the winning run scored. 

In 1974, Chris Evert was the top money winner in two sports. Chris the tennis player led the WTA money list.

Chris Evert the horse, named after the tennis star won the three-year-old filly of the year award and also topped the money list.

- Derek Carr impressed many coaches and league figures when he arrived to Oakland Raiders training camp. However, it wasn’t his arm strength or scrambling ability that impressed them, it was his mind. Carr entered the camp with the entire Raiders playbook memorized, an impressive feat for a veteran, let alone a rookie quarterback. Carr’s older brother David was the first ever draft pick in Houston Texans history and has been teaching him the intricacies of NFL offenses for years. Teammate James Jones even compared him to Aaron Rodgers.

- Both Brees and Tomlinson are from Texas. They played together in a few Texas high school All-Star games in 1996. They were Heisman Trophy finalists together in 2000. Brees and Tomlinson were then drafted by the San Diego Chargers in the 2001 NFL Draft.

San Diego made Tomlinson the fifth overall selection in the first round and Brees the 32nd choice overall.

After Brees left for New Orleans, the two were again connected, as they shared the 2006 NFL Man of the Year Award for their philanthropic work.

- Calvin Johnson played with Roman Reigns during their time together at Georgia Tech. Roman Reigns is a WWE superstar, and Calvin Johnson is basically Megatron (that’s his nickname, obviously). In fact, Reigns played a little NFL football with the Vikings and Jaguars before turning to wrestling.

- KURT WARNER IS A GENEROUS MAN

Whenever the former Arizona Cardinals quarterback goes out to dinner with his family, they have a little tradition.

They anonymously pay for the meal of another dining party.

- DEZ BRYANT HAS THREE BABYSITTERS — BUT NOT FOR HIS KIDS

The 25-year-old has gotten himself in so much trouble over the years (including an incident in which he shoved his own mother) that the Dallas Cowboys had to come up with a drastic solution.

So the team hired a rotating three-man security team to watch him at all times. He is also banned from alcohol and needs to be tucked into bed by his midnight curfew.

- ERIC BERRY IS TERRIFIED OF HORSES

Equinophobia is no laughing matter.

Just ask Kansas City Chief Eric Berry, whose fear of horses is of particular concern considering his team’s mascot has four legs and neighs.

In an entertaining video, which you can see below, Berry lost his bundle after a woman rode the team’s mascot Warpaint onto the field at a home game.

“Oh hell no, they got that horse,” Berry said after first noticing Warpaint ride in, before making a beeline for the bench.

Berry’s fear is so great that he loses focus on the game and coach’s instructions while the animal was in sight

- Jason Kidd used to blow a kiss to his super hot wife, Joumana, before every free-throw. Cute, right? Well, after an extremely messy divorce, Joumana is now Kidd’s ex-wife. So he has adjusted his ritual accordingly. He still blows a kiss to Joumana, of course, but not before wiping his fingers on his ###. Now that’s contempt

- January 2nd, 1999, wild card game between Buffalo Bills and Miami Dolphins at the Pro Player Stadium. Miami’s quarterback Dan Marino had never beaten Buffalo’s Doug Flutie, who was also famous for having a brand of frosted corn flakes breakfast cereal, the ‘Flutie Flakes’. Before the game Marino burned around 500 boxes of the cereal. Final score: Buffalo 17 – 24 Miami.

- After every Kansas City Chiefs touchdown, the fanatics unite their voices singing ‘We're gonna beat the hell out of you’ while they point their fingers as arrows to the visitors. It creates an atmosphere like the away team is not going to be able to score again.

- January 3, 1999, wild card game between San Francisco 49ers and Green Bay Packers. The 49ers had lost the previous five matches against Packers, whose symbol is cheese. The city of San Francisco held its own ‘cheese party’ and the leftovers ended up being thrown into its iconic bay. Final result: Green Bay 27 – 30 San Francisco

- Moises Alou peed on his own hands to harden them

- Les Miles eats turf during games

- Jason Giambi and his teammates wear a gold thong to bust out of slumps

- Turk Wendell brushed his teeth in the dugout and chewed licorice while he pitched

- Lyoto Machida drinks his own pee every single day

- Jason Terry wears the shorts of his opponents on nights before games

- Wayne Gretzky's baby powdered the end of his stick prior to faceoff

Mark Sanchez and fiver other teammates at Mission Viejo High played in the NFL.  A seventh made the Jets out of camp and decided not to play because his wife was expecting on the west coast.

Dickie Noles was once the player-to-be-named-later in his own trade.

In September of 1987 the Cubs traded Noles to Detroit for a player to be named later. A month after he was traded back to the Cubs as compensation for the first trade. 

Last edited by a moderator:
New York Yankees pitcher Fritz Peterson was involved in a weird trade, too. He traded his wife, kids, and dog for his teammate's family.... he and Yankees pitcher Mike Kekich swapped wives, and the rest of their families too.

New York Yankees pitcher Fritz Peterson was involved in a weird trade, too. He traded his wife, kids, and dog for his teammate's family.... he and Yankees pitcher Mike Kekich swapped wives, and the rest of their families too.
It's heartwarming to know they didn't want to separate the dog from the rest of the family.

Rearrange the letters in the name Eldrick "Tiger" Woods and they spell out:

WOOED, TRICKED GIRLS.

In one of the weirder meldings of sports and popular culture, DC put out a "Superman vs. Muhammad Ali" comic book in 1978.

The plot deals with hostile aliens, but the real highlight is the butt-whuppin' Superman gets in a sparring match with the trash-talking Ali.

I was at a game and Benji Molina hit a triple.  

At another game, manager Gene Mauch brought in an OFer to be a fifth IF with the bases loaded in the 9th.  The first pitch after this sailed over the back stop and the winning run scored. 
First time hearing about either of these.

When a hockey player gets a goal, an assist, and has a fight in the same game, it's called a "Gordie Howe hat trick". 

The number of times Gordie Howe accomplished this feat in a game himself? 

Just twice, in 2,421 total professional games. 

Rick Tocchet did it 18 times. 

Steve Young....

Young recalled an interaction he had with a referee during a 1985 game vs. the Indianapolis Colts (via Peter King of MMQB.com):

Partway through the second quarter I'm in the huddle when the head referee taps me on the shoulder. 'Can I talk to you for a second?' he says. I step away from the huddle. 'Hey, listen, my daughter's going to BYU,' he whispers. Next thing I know he starts trying to convince me that I should meet his daughter. 'I'd like you to take her out,' he says.

I cannot believe this. We're in the middle of a game! 'Oh, okay,' I said. 'What's her name?' He tells me and I return to the huddle...Late in the game we're down 31-23 and I'm trying to mount a comeback. I scramble out of the pocket and take a brutal hit. It causes me to fumble just before the whistle blows to stop the play. I am lying on the ground when the defense recovers the loose ball, all but sealing our defeat. Suddenly out of nowhere a yellow flag lands next to me. The referee whose daughter is headed to BYU calls a personal foul on the defense. First down, Tampa Bay. I get up and brush myself off. Then the ref walks past me and whispers she likes Italian food.

Jerry rice is the all time leader for TD receptions after turning forty with 12. Two other players are tied for second with one apiece. Those players are Brett Favre and Tom Brady. 

Larry Fitzgerald, 29 career drops, 41 career tackles. 

UTSan Antonio Roadrunners set the record for the highest-attended game for an NCAA Division I inaugural game with 56,743 fans in attendance at the Alamodome on Sept 3,2011. They are currently ranked #15 in the football rankings less than 10 years after jumping into Div 1.

Joel Youngblood got a hit for the Mets and the Expos on the same day.
There have been baseball trades between two teams playing each other in a doubleheader where players suit up for both teams, because the trade occurred between the games.

More of an obscure baseball rule:

in MLB the umpires do not have jurisdiction until they receive the starting lines ups. In High School they gain jurisdiction as soon as they walk on the field.

The Packers continue to sucker the gullible people of Wisconsin with their phony "stock" sales, and those cheese-brained idiots fall all over themselves to participate in a $100 million scam on a regular basis. 

Ernie is the only autograph I ever got.
I met him a couple of times when I lived in Michigan. I worked for DeWalt tools at the time and he would come and do autograph sessions at Central Michigan Lumber (I think that's who they were).....

We would do a tool demo at the same time - just a way to promote the store. Anyway, got an autographed baseball from him and got to talk to him a little bit. He was a gem of a human being - one of the nicest gentlemen ever. And just to hear that voice talking - pure classic baseball man.

One of a kind, that guy.

Users who are viewing this thread