What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Odell Thurman Arrested (1 Viewer)

Sigmund Bloom

Footballguy
Staff member
link

Reports: Thurman arrested

By GEOFF HOBSON

September 25, 2006

Posted: 7:10 a.m.

Already serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, Bengals middle linebacker Odell Thurman was arrested early Monday on a charge of high tier operation of a motor vehicle while impaired.

According to Fox 19, Thurman, 23, failed a breathalyzer at a checkpoint on Kellogg Avenue in Cincinnati.

It's unclear how the NFL is going to handle the arrest, but clearly his return to practice scheduled for Oct. 2 is in jeopardy.

Landon Johnson may hold his value for longer than we expected... Ahmad Brooks gains value in dynasty leagues...

Last edited by a moderator:
BY MARK CURNUTTE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman was arrested at 3:05 a.m. today and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol.

Thurman was arrested in the 3800 block of Kellogg Avenue in the East End. He was brought to a checkpoint operated by the Cincinnati Police and Ohio State Patrol and submitted to a breath test.

Thurman registered a .17, which is considered a high-tier reading, said Officer Stephen Lawson of the Cincinnati Police Traffic Section.

Under Ohio law, a person is presumed intoxicated at .08 percent blood alcohol content.

Thurman was released to a sober driver, Lawson said.

Thurman was one of several Bengals players in Thurman’s 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe.

The identification of other Bengals players riding in the vehicle was not immediately available, Lawson said.

Thurman, 23, was the only occupant charged with DUI, the officer said.

Thurman is currently serving a four-game suspension for a second violation of the NFL substance abuse policy, stemming from a failed test, which was believed to be a missed test.

He is eligible to come off the suspended list and return to practice Oct. 2, one week from today.

The Bengals played their third game Sunday, a 28-20 victory at Pittsburgh, to improve to 3-0.

Thurman, under terms of his suspension, is not allowed to be in the stadium on game day. The team flew home on a charter flight immediately after the game, and Thurman was believed to have hooked up with some teammates to celebrate the victory.

The Bengals’ standing policy is to not comment on players’ legal issues until they are resolved in the court system.

If convicted, Thurman would be subject to additional NFL discipline, including a fine or longer suspension.

Thurman, 23, was the only occupant charged with DUI, the officer said.
amazing that the driver was the only person charged with driving under the influence. :loco:

Big news for us Brian Simmons owners :)

On a more serious note, Thurman better get his life in order before he's out of the league entirely.

Ugh. And I was hoping to get him back soon. Is he even worth holding onto anymore? I'm trying to remain patient but this latest incident now has me seriously considering other options.

CRH

but he would have to be convicted to face another suspension correct ? So he still may play the rest of the year after missing the next game.

This can't be a shock. Lewis not only drafted this guy, he put him onto a team that has more than its share of others like him. These guys are all going to act as enablers for each other. I still can't believe that Lewis has allowed this to happen.

This can't be a shock. Lewis not only drafted this guy, he put him onto a team that has more than its share of others like him. These guys are all going to act as enablers for each other. I still can't believe that Lewis has allowed this to happen.
I'm not talking about Thurman until I cool down. Seriously.With regard to Lewis. Lewis can't babysit these tools all day long. Lots of teams draft talent, some even with sketchier backgrounds than this. I was the first to question the Nicholson and Rucker picks mid-draft so I with you on the extent to which this has seemingly gotten out of hand. IMO, there's nobody to blame for this particular incident than Henry (if reports of him riding shotgun are true) and Thurman. I'm sure they've looked Lewis and their teammates in the eye more than once and pledged to toe the line. Witness the long "contrite" quotes from Thurman in the ESPN piece from the pre-season.

The only way that Lewis can make a statement that means anything to his team is to release both Thurman and Henry outright. Fortunately for him he's cutting a guy who's going to be suspended for a year anyway, and another guy who almost certainly will be at the rate he's going, so it won't actually cost him much IMHO. But the message needs to get delivered to his team.

This is a team that should be seriously competing for the Super Bowl - they simply can't have this garbage happening.

The only way that Lewis can make a statement that means anything to his team is to release both Thurman and Henry outright. Fortunately for him he's cutting a guy who's going to be suspended for a year anyway, and another guy who almost certainly will be at the rate he's going, so it won't actually cost him much IMHO. But the message needs to get delivered to his team. This is a team that should be seriously competing for the Super Bowl - they simply can't have this garbage happening.
I don't know that I disagree that a message needs sending to the particulars. Problem is, both of these guys have talent and when healthy are big parts of the team. Even complete goofcases like Koren Robinson get picked up by other teams. If their two main rivals in-division aren't very interested in picking up a guy like Chris Henry, they're silly.And neither of these guys are anything close to the leaders of the team. The true leaders on this team are the guys you hardly ever hear about with the exception of Carson Palmer. It's not Chad Johnson and his mouth. It's not Henry and Thurman. It's Willie Anderson and Levi Jones. It's Madieu Williams and Brian Simmons. Guys who are very active in the community and the locker room -- quietly. It's not a surprise that this team has played as well as it has with an inconsistent star quarterback, injuries across the OL, and missing parts on defense. This hasn't been nearly as big an issue inside the locker room as it has outside. I'm as :football: as anyone (clearly) about this latest issue and I wouldn't necessarily be too fussy if the team released either of these donkeys. I'm not so naive to think that things wouldn't be better with a team full of Ned Flanders types. But as a long suffering Bengal fan, I'm perfectly content with Marvin's handling of the situation thus far with the possible exception of adding Rucker and Nicholson to the mix. I am pretty interested about who else was in that SUV though. There are veteran players who have been known to hang with Thurman and Henry. I'm going to be still more fussy if they "sanctioned" this stupidity again.

As is the truth in most sports, as long as they keep winning, this won't dominate the headlines.

Rich people with too much time on their hands.

but he would have to be convicted to face another suspension correct ? So he still may play the rest of the year after missing the next game.
I do NOT believe that he would have to be convicted. It is MY understanding that if he is in the program, he cannot violate the conditions. Failing a breathalizer is probably a condition.If it is another strike, it is a yearlong suspension.Tom

I do NOT believe that he would have to be convicted. It is MY understanding that if he is in the program, he cannot violate the conditions. Failing a breathalizer is probably a condition.If it is another strike, it is a yearlong suspension.Tom
I think this is correct too.

I do NOT believe that he would have to be convicted. It is MY understanding that if he is in the program, he cannot violate the conditions. Failing a breathalizer is probably a condition.If it is another strike, it is a yearlong suspension.

Tom
I don't think alcohol is the same as drug testing failure. It would probably fall under the NFL Coduct Policy instead. http://www.nflpa.org/RulesAndRegs/ConductPolicy.aspx

I do NOT believe that he would have to be convicted. It is MY understanding that if he is in the program, he cannot violate the conditions. Failing a breathalizer is probably a condition.If it is another strike, it is a yearlong suspension.

Tom
I don't think alcohol is the same as drug testing failure. It would probably fall under the NFL Coduct Policy instead. http://www.nflpa.org/RulesAndRegs/ConductPolicy.aspx
I thought that once you were in the substance abuse program EVERYTHING becomes off limits. I am not for sure on this and GDB having 56k at work and not being able to look at the policy any time soon.

I think this is correct too.
Wouldn't KRob have a year long suspension then?

Alcohol related crimes carry different thresholds than illegal drugs do.

http://www.nflpa.org/pdfs/RulesAndRegs/Drug_Policy_2005.pdf

Pg 20:

B. Alcohol-Related Offenses.

The Commissioner will review and may impose a fine, suspension, or other appropriate discipline if a player is convicted of or admits to a violation of the law (including within the context of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement including but not limited to nolo contendere) relating to the use of alcohol. Absent aggravating circumstances, discipline for a first offense will generally be a fine of one-half (1/2) of one-seventeenth (1/17) of the amount in Paragraph 5 of the NFL Player Contract to a maximum of $20,000. If the Commissioner finds that there were aggravating circumstances, including but not limited to felonious conduct or serious injury or death of third parties, and/or if the player has had prior drug or alcohol-related misconduct, increased discipline up to and including suspension may be imposed. Discipline for a second or subsequent offense is likely to be a suspension, the duration of which may escalate for repeat offenses.
As you can see there are no set punishments. It is up to the commish.

Alcohol related crimes carry different thresholds than illegal drugs do.

http://www.nflpa.org/pdfs/RulesAndRegs/Drug_Policy_2005.pdf

Pg 20:

B. Alcohol-Related Offenses.

The Commissioner will review and may impose a fine, suspension, or other appropriate discipline if a player is convicted of or admits to a violation of the law (including within the context of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement including but not limited to nolo contendere) relating to the use of alcohol. Absent aggravating circumstances, discipline for a first offense will generally be a fine of one-half (1/2) of one-seventeenth (1/17) of the amount in Paragraph 5 of the NFL Player Contract to a maximum of $20,000. If the Commissioner finds that there were aggravating circumstances, including but not limited to felonious conduct or serious injury or death of third parties, and/or if the player has had prior drug or alcohol-related misconduct, increased discipline up to and including suspension may be imposed. Discipline for a second or subsequent offense is likely to be a suspension, the duration of which may escalate for repeat offenses.
As you can see there are no set punishments. It is up to the commish.
The question then becomes, "is puking out of the car window an 'aggravating circumstance'?"

but i see no reason to think the commish would give a lesser penalty... thurman has been a real bonehead lately... ironically, the new commish reportedly just had a talk with CIN to remind them that they had greater responsibilities & were representing league as well city & team...

given that, & as a new guy it might send bad message (its not really THAT bad to get drunk & drive) & precedent to be lenient for a new commish... i would be surprised if a stiff penalty isn't enforced, which could increase the chance he doesn't avoid a one year unpaid vacation on the league office... this would be a significant setback to his career, obviously...

* just bizarre that the "designated driver" was twice legal limit (you should see the OTHER guys).

Last edited by a moderator:
I quickly gobbled up Thurman off the waiver wire when his previous owner dropped him after the 4 game suspension was announced. Felt pretty "sharky" about it, thank you very much. Now I'm faced with the dilemma of knowing when to "hold 'em" and knowing when to "fold 'em". This is a 12 team, heavy IDP scoring league. I don't really need to keep this bum, since I already have 4 solid LBs (start 3) and good depth. But I sure hate to unload him, considering the numbers he put up last year as a rook. But if Lewis has completely soured on him, it doesn't look like his prospects (at least as a Bengal) are that good. Ugh!

Thurman was reputedly driving O'Neils car because he was in even worst shape. Sorry, but I'm not ready to throw the guy under the bus for that one.

In the grand scheme of things, and in his own strange way, Odell was stepping up to help his friends. Yes he is an idiot, but driving another guy's car after celebrating "his" teams victory - while still on suspension - suggests that Thurman IS a member of the team, and took one for the 'posse.'

That, combined with the absence of a Koren Robinson smack-down, will have Odell maintaining a place on my bench for the near future. Too many FFBers are too willing to pile on when things get rough. There is a big difference between being an idiot, and truly being a bad character. We who watch from the sidelines are usually not in a position to know the difference.

Thurman was reputedly driving O'Neils car because he was in even worst shape. Sorry, but I'm not ready to throw the guy under the bus for that one.
:lmao: Seriously? He couldn't call for a cab? So let me get this right. Drunk driving is OK if you are driving your friends that are more drunk than you? :shock:

:lmao: Seriously? He couldn't call for a cab? So let me get this right. Drunk driving is OK if you are driving your friends that are more drunk than you? :shock:
Did I say that? No. Read it again.

Thurman was reputedly driving O'Neils car because he was in even worst shape. Sorry, but I'm not ready to throw the guy under the bus for that one.In the grand scheme of things, and in his own strange way, Odell was stepping up to help his friends. Yes he is an idiot, but driving another guy's car after celebrating "his" teams victory - while still on suspension - suggests that Thurman IS a member of the team, and took one for the 'posse.'That, combined with the absence of a Koren Robinson smack-down, will have Odell maintaining a place on my bench for the near future. Too many FFBers are too willing to pile on when things get rough. There is a big difference between being an idiot, and truly being a bad character. We who watch from the sidelines are usually not in a position to know the difference.
Pardon me, but bull.If you watch the arrest video, you'll see a guy who can't follow directions, can't walk a line or recite the alphabet, and apparently isn't even coherent enough to beg for his NFL life other than to say he's driving a couple of other Bengals home.Taking one for the posse by driving impaired is not an option in any life situation. It's even more ignorant less than 48 hours after a lecture from the commissioner and after being given multiple second chances by your teammates and coaches. IMO, he's lucky to have gotten off with just a traffic stop. I'll never, ever understand how Leonard Little still suits up every week but Thurman's night could've ended similar to Little's some years ago. There's no question that Thurman is an idiot, but IMO Thurman easily crossed the line from "being an idiot" to "being a bad character" as soon as he got behind the wheel. This coming from a guy who sat in his Thurman jersey during the game Sunday. :bag: And, yes, I'm still :hot:

I am in no way condoning what he did, or implying that it is acceptable. I am saying, however, that we FFBers are rarely in a position to properly judge people based on 'news.'

For example, as a Bills fan I have had to listen to/read 'experts' tell me for 3 years about JP Losman's 'attitude problem' and how he wasn't a team player. FFBers constantly parroted this finding of fact. All along I looked at this kid and thought the exact opposite. The scary thing is, though, that people are so quick to jump on these band wagons - and in the absence of real information.

Thurman is a different case, of course, because he is obviously a fcukup. He is immature, and did a bad thing by driving drunk. He has show himself to be an idiot. I am simply calling for people to have some perspective. And I have an extreme aversion to dog-piles. If you know something, fine. If you don't, then start using your own head and stop borrowing everyone else's.

I am in no way condoning what he did, or implying that it is acceptable. I am saying, however, that we FFBers are rarely in a position to properly judge people based on 'news.'For example, as a Bills fan I have had to listen to/read 'experts' tell me for 3 years about JP Losman's 'attitude problem' and how he wasn't a team player. FFBers constantly parroted this finding of fact. All along I looked at this kid and thought the exact opposite. The scary thing is, though, that people are so quick to jump on these band wagons - and in the absence of real information.Thurman is a different case, of course, because he is obviously a fcukup. He is immature, and did a bad thing by driving drunk. He has show himself to be an idiot. I am simply calling for people to have some perspective. And I have an extreme aversion to dog-piles. If you know something, fine. If you don't, then start using your own head and stop borrowing everyone else's.
Thanks for the clarification. The way your first post sounded you almost came off as condoning his behavior.

I am in no way condoning what he did, or implying that it is acceptable. I am saying, however, that we FFBers are rarely in a position to properly judge people based on 'news.'For example, as a Bills fan I have had to listen to/read 'experts' tell me for 3 years about JP Losman's 'attitude problem' and how he wasn't a team player. FFBers constantly parroted this finding of fact. All along I looked at this kid and thought the exact opposite. The scary thing is, though, that people are so quick to jump on these band wagons - and in the absence of real information.Thurman is a different case, of course, because he is obviously a fcukup. He is immature, and did a bad thing by driving drunk. He has show himself to be an idiot. I am simply calling for people to have some perspective. And I have an extreme aversion to dog-piles. If you know something, fine. If you don't, then start using your own head and stop borrowing everyone else's.
Wouldn't Thurman's track record up to this point be considered "real information". I understand the point you're trying to make regarding Losman and a perceived attitude problem, although it's not really relevant here. Perceived attitude and off the field incidents are two different things. I don't think it's piling on when fans or even the media are quick to criticize guys like Thurman or Chris Henry. You want us to have perspective? How bout Henry and Thurman gain some?

I'm glad to hear that "taking one for the homies" is not a legal defense to drunk driving for you, but you'll forgive me if I don't trip all over myself to otherwise defend a guy who is so stupid as to have put himself into that situation with as much on the line as he did professionally, to speak nothing of the risks to himself, his passengers and his fellow drivers from driving in the condition he was in. He's a moron.

I think we can all agree what Thurman and Henry have done so far is just plain stupid and ignorant and a waste of God given talent. Now we need to know what the consequences of these actions will be. If any homers get some information, please post - as an owner of Thurman and Henry. :cry:

Tom
LB Thurman's Suspension Extended To A YearNational Football League News Wire - [Full Article]

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman will not get on the field this season. Already serving a four-game suspension, Thurman had that ban extended to a year by the NFL on Wednesday, two days after his arrest on DUI charges. The team was notified by the NFL of the extended suspension due to Thurman's violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

So, how does the Cincy LB situation shake out now? Odell is gone. Pollack and AJ Nicholson are on IR....so....

Simmons MLB

Jeanty SLB

L. Johnson WLB

Any chance Ahmad Brooks breaks into the lineup? Is he next on the depth chart now?

So, how does the Cincy LB situation shake out now? Odell is gone. Pollack and AJ Nicholson are on IR....so....Simmons MLBJeanty SLBL. Johnson WLBAny chance Ahmad Brooks breaks into the lineup? Is he next on the depth chart now?
Caleb Miller is next on the depth chart. He's already filling in for Simmons a series or two per game. And Jeanty injured a foot in practice this week and will be listed as questionable on the injury report.But Brooks is the guy you want to keep you're eye on. He'll have to adjust a bit, but he may prove too talented to keep off the field. Once the Bengals are sure he's not going to kill them in a big game with a bunch of rookie mistakes, he's probably going to play. Where and how much is the question. He may play the easier to learn SLB spot early like Pollack would've. Rush the passer and take on blocks while hopefully pursuing the play at times as well. Simmons and Johnson are the two best cover backers on the team anyway, so that would work fine. If Jeanty goes down for an extended period, there really isn't a good fit at SLB on the roster. Caleb Miller is 225 in pads and Simmons would wear down. My guess is that Landon Johnson moves to the strong side this week if Jeanty can't go and Miller plays middle with Simmons back at the Will.We'll see how it plays out.

Users who are viewing this thread