What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

# of Snaps/game Stat (1 Viewer)

NumbCruncher

Footballguy
I am starting to get that itch to run through my own analysis/predictions of the up coming season, and game averages are misleading for injury prone players easing their way back into a lineup, developing rookies, and backups getting the opportunity to start. Play averages would seem to be a more useful stat when comparing players, especially when looking at handcuffs and other backups deep in drafts. The fact that it isn't readily available like baseball's plate appearances is kind of baffling.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

NumbCruncher

I am starting to get that itch to run through my own analysis/predictions of the up coming season, and game averages are misleading for injury prone players easing their way back into a lineup, developing rookies, and backups getting the opportunity to start. Play averages would seem to be a more useful stat when comparing players, especially when looking at handcuffs and other backups deep in drafts. The fact that it isn't readily available like baseball's plate appearances is kind of baffling.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

NumbCruncher
Have you tried FootballOutsiders?

Have you tried FootballOutsiders?

They have a great site, but they track a player's NFL value per opportunities. It is interesting to note that Larry Johnson and Lamont Jordan had more significant roles in 2005 vs 2004. Johnson's value per play basically stayed the same, while Jordan dropped from being an excellent backup to Curtis Martin to being a very average RB. I have also found that Twominutewarning.com lists each players opportunities. I am more interested in seeing how many opportunities does a player get per number of plays he is on the field. For instance a top WR posts terrible numbers. Was it because he was injured and had limited snaps (production per play would still be avg)? Was it due to the defense shutting him down (production per play would be drastically down)? This would also help in analyzing IDPs.

NumbCruncher

They have a great site, but they track a player's NFL value per opportunities. It is interesting to note that Larry Johnson and Lamont Jordan had more significant roles in 2005 vs 2004. Johnson's value per play basically stayed the same, while Jordan dropped from being an excellent backup to Curtis Martin to being a very average RB. I have also found that Twominutewarning.com lists each players opportunities. I am more interested in seeing how many opportunities does a player get per number of plays he is on the field. For instance a top WR posts terrible numbers. Was it because he was injured and had limited snaps (production per play would still be avg)? Was it due to the defense shutting him down (production per play would be drastically down)? This would also help in analyzing IDPs.

NumbCruncher

While I would admit that would be a very interesting thing to study, I don't recall ever seeing it out there. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Users who are viewing this thread