What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Offensive tackle Tom Ashworth to the Hawks (1 Viewer)

nerangers

Footballguy
from boston.com

March 23, 2006 Ashworth to 'Hawks

Offensive tackle Tom Ashworth, who emerged from practice squad player to starter in four seasons with the Patriots, has agreed to terms on a deal with the Seahawks today. Ashworth’s agent, Tom Mills, confirmed the agreement in principle.

The 28-year-old Ashworth appeared in 37 career regular-season games with the Patriots (30 starts). He played in 14 games in 2005, with 11 starts. Ashworth primarily shared time at right tackle with Brandon Gorin over the last two seasons.

Ashworth had also drawn interest in free agency from the Jets, Buccaneers, Dolphins, Saints and Texans.

The Patriots –- who have Matt Light, Nick Kaczur and Gorin atop the tackle depth chart -- also kept an open dialogue about the possibility of a return. Yet likely due to their personnel already in place, the team wasn't overly aggressive.

The Seahawks are an unexpected landing spot for Ashworth, because the team has two returning tackles in Sean Locklear and Walter Jones. But Seattle lost starting left guard Steve Hutchinson in free agency and was looking for reinforcements on the line. Much of Ashworth’s pro experience has come at tackle.

EXTRA POINT: On the heels of a Thursday Providence Journal report that the Patriots were close to re-signing Stephen Neal and Troy Brown, host Michael Holley of sports radio 850 WEEI in Boston said today that the Patriots have re-signed Brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
How good of a signing this is really depends on the money...

From a pure player acquisition this is a good move for the Hawks. Ashworth will never be a Pro Bowler but he's a solid lineman who is pretty versatile. You can never go wrong with a guy like this. As for the Pats they seemed to have no interest in resigning him. At the end of last year he was the odd man out. If they resign Neal than no big deal. Yet, if they don't than here's another area where depth has become an issue.

Darn, I wanted Tampa to get him. Good move by Sea., they just got a solid backup for their most important position.

With Light coming back, they had a surplus at the position. And Ashworth was merely OK on his best days. Not a huge loss.

With Light coming back, they had a surplus at the position. And Ashworth was merely OK on his best days. Not a huge loss.
Patriots | Light progressing wellThu, 23 Mar 2006 10:42:59 -0800

Nick Cafardo, of the Boston Globe, reports New England Patriots OLT Matt Light (fibula) said he is progressing well after breaking his right fibula in 2005. "I've been working out in Foxborough every day," said Light. "I'm doing well. All that stuff is behind me."

Just a weird signing. From what I understood, Ashworth was looking for someone to back up the Brinks truck. So why not just re-sign Hutchinson?
Ashworth maybe looking for some money but there is absolutely no way he's looking for anything near what Hutch got. If he got a 4 million dollar bonus that would be very good for him.

Darn, I wanted Tampa to get him.  Good move by Sea., they just got a solid backup for their most important position.
I bet they slide him into the starting lineup somewhere.
I think he'll start at RT. If not he will be starting at LG. Whatever, this is a very good signing.

Seahawks | Ashworth agrees to terms

Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:04:48 -0800

Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports the Seattle Seahawks have agreed to terms with free agent OT Tom Ashworth (Partiots) on a five-year deal. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, but Ashworth is expected to be paid about $4.5 million in the first year.

Which lineman was this again? Fraud Protection, or Zero Liability?

After the Hutchinson contract, I'm guessing he was Fraud Protection. :)

Users who are viewing this thread