What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Officer’s wife fakes robbery, vandalizes own home with “BLM” graffiti (1 Viewer)

Henry Ford

Footballguy
Jussie Smollett is obviously dominating the news cycle, but you probably didn’t hear about this one (also it’s old)

https://www.complex.com/life/2016/10/cops-wife-busted-faked-burglary-black-lives-matter

A Millbury, Mass. woman, the wife of a policeman, reported earlier this month that her house had been robbed of jewelry and cash, and that the burglars had spray-painted "BLM"—a likely reference to the Black Lives Matter movement—on the outside. The only problem with this timely story? It was all made up.

Millbury police announced on Friday that they were charging Maria Daly with filing a false police report and misleading a police investigation, according to area station WBZ. Daly, police say, "robbed" her own house over money issues, and then spray-painted the graffiti in an attempt to place blame elsewhere. 

Millbury Police Chief Donald Desorcy, reasonably enough, smelled a rat from the beginning. “Something wasn’t quite right,” he told the station. “I think that was pretty obvious and as a result of that investigation, the officers did their due diligence and followed through with the investigation that we had. Basically we came to the conclusion that it was all fabricated. There was no intruder, there was no burglary.”

Just after the "robbery," Daly went on Facebook—of course—and wrote about what supposedly happened. “We woke up to not only our house being robbed while we were sleeping, but to see this hatred for no reason,” she posted.

Daly's husband, Officer Daniel Daly, has been ruled out of the investigation—the cops say he had no idea what his wife was doing.

This is not the first time people have attempted to use BLM as a scapegoat. In the fall of 2015, a Texas man claimed that Black Lives Matter activists had vandalized his truck, but police determined he did the damage himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Jussie Smollett is obviously dominating the news cycle, so you probably didn’t hear about this one:

https://www.complex.com/life/2016/10/cops-wife-busted-faked-burglary-black-lives-matter
Awful. Sounds like the police did a good job figuring it out quickly.

If the woman had been as high profile as Smollett and had gone on TV doubling and tripling down on her story and then it was found out to be fabricated, it would likely see the same attention as Smollett.

Snorkelson

Footballguy
Doesn’t matter where you fall politically, wasting LEO time is not acceptable. The fact that they try to scapegoat race on top of it makes it worse, and hopefully that comes out in their sentencing.

Henry Ford

Footballguy

If the woman had been as high profile as Smollett and had gone on TV doubling and tripling down on her story and then it was found out to be fabricated, it would likely see the same attention as Smollett.
Certainly possible. 

Maurile Tremblay

Administrator
Staff member
Burglars are generally not social activists. If you want to fake a crime, don’t throw in gratuitous details that don’t make sense. Have we learned nothing from Jussie Smollett?

Henry Ford

Footballguy
Burglars are generally not social activists. If you want to fake a crime, don’t throw in gratuitous details that don’t make sense. Have we learned nothing from Jussie Smollett?
At least she didn’t a bunch of white police officers to do it and pay them by check. 

Yenrub

Footballguy
These types of false claims are nothing new

There was Breana Harmon who falsely accused 3 black men of kidnapping and raping her down in Texas.

Although it happened in a different country the Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte made false claims about being robbed.

Harmon was given parole, I don’t recall what punishment Lochte received

jonessed

Footballguy

Smollett’s original report had tons of media, which made the reversal that much more dramatic.  The original crime here was pretty much a local story.

Osaurus

Footballguy

There was Breana Harmon who falsely accused 3 black men of kidnapping and raping her down in Texas.

Although it happened in a different country the Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte made false claims about being robbed.

Celebrity Big Brother

jonessed

Footballguy

That was stupid, but relatively harmless.  I dont believe he reported it to police.  I think the media picked up something and ran with it.

I’m not sure what kind of punishment lying to your mom should elicit.

Mr Anonymous

Footballguy
If we're on the hunt for stories of people from all walks of life and both ends of the political spectrum doing stupid things, there is no shortage of them.

GROOT

Footballguy
When the media pedals racial divisiveness and identity politics so often, is anyone suprrised?

SaintsInDome2006

Footballguy
Well there were 427 times as many hate crimes in Massachusetts as there were in Mississippi. 
I was kidding but ok. Actually genuinely Mass is a highly political state on both sides, or it was in my travels there. Also it was weird to me how such a liberal state could also be so conservative. Just strange. Just as an example from the other thread - Brazilian waitress knocks cap off Maga supporter minding his own in Mexican restaurant, guess where. Oh of course Massachusetts on the Cape.

parasaurolophus

Footballguy
I was kidding but ok. Actually genuinely Mass is a highly political state on both sides, or it was in my travels there. Also it was weird to me how such a liberal state could also be so conservative. Just strange. Just as an example from the other thread - Brazilian waitress knocks cap off Maga supporter minding his own in Mexican restaurant, guess where. Oh of course Massachusetts on the Cape.
I am kidding too. Making a point at how stupid that FBI data is. 427 hate crimes reported to the FBI in Mass. 

I know you can do basic math so that means there were how many reported in Miss.? 

SaintsInDome2006

Footballguy
A Millbury, Mass. woman, the wife of a policeman, reported earlier this month that her house had been robbed of jewelry and cash, and that the burglars had spray-painted "BLM"—a likely reference to the Black Lives Matter movement—on the outside. The only problem with this timely story? It was all made up.
I realize this is old but it is funny how the thinking is the same as Smollett. Smollett figures it would promote his career and expand his profile, and this woman figured she would steal some jewelry and make a fraudulent insurance claim. And both figured they could make the cops spin their wheels and look like fools or racist because they would seem disinterested in investigating. 

Actually I’d bet there are a lot of fraudulent police reports in this country but few take the trouble to devise possible ulterior motives like this. 

SaintsInDome2006

Footballguy
I am kidding too. Making a point at how stupid that FBI data is. 427 hate crimes reported to the FBI in Mass. 

I know you can do basic math so that means there were how many reported in Miss.? 
Ha I can do basic math but not when I’m not at work, amigo... I trust your numbers though.

Da Guru

Fair & Balanced

The police are pretty good at snuffing out fake crimes.

Leroy Hoard

Footballguy
Doesn’t matter where you fall politically, wasting LEO time is not acceptable. The fact that they try to scapegoat race on top of it makes it worse, and hopefully that comes out in their sentencing.
Anyone who fakes a crime should face the same punishment as someone who actually committed such a crime.

lod001

Footballguy
You are digging to find a 2 year old racist article to try and counter Smollett's stupidity? Is that what this is about?  I'm seriously curious as to how you came across this old article and why you posted it here.

The correct move is to simply delete this thread. It's certainly not helping in any manner what so ever.

Lutherman2112

Footballguy

Mississippi doesn't report.

WDAM Investigates: Hate crime numbers don’t add up

By Mike McDaniel | February 19, 2019 at 9:50 PM CST - Updated February 20 at 8:25 AM

PINE BELT (WDAM) - It’s a case that grabbed national attention in 2015. Mercedes Williamson, 17, a transgender teenager from Alabama, was killed in George County, Mississippi at the hands of Josh Vallum. Since Vallum crossed state lines, bringing Williamson into Mississippi, he was prosecuted on the federal level under the federal hate crime law.

However, looking through 2015 hate crime statistics from the FBI, Williamson’s murder doesn’t exist. In fact, statewide, Mississippi law enforcement agencies reported zero hate crimes that year. That’s because agencies aren’t required to report hate crimes to the FBI and only 43 agencies in Mississippi participated in reporting that year. Cynthia Deitle, a former FBI agent who spent two decades with the agency, 10 of them working hate crimes, said she’s heard a lot of different reasons why agencies don’t report.

“I’ve heard everything from, ‘We don’t have hate crime here, there’s no reason to report something that’s not happening.' I’ve heard, ‘We don’t have to, someone told me somewhere in our state, I don’t think I have to.’ I’ve heard, ‘My chief didn’t make it a priority, so I don’t check that box,’” said Deitle.

Another high profile case happened in Jackson back in 2011. James Anderson was killed when prosecutors say a group of white supremacists went out looking to hurt black people.

Anderson was beaten and ran over. His attackers were sentenced under the federal hate crime law, but according to numbers from the FBI, only one hate crime happened in Mississippi that year. It wasn’t the death of James Anderson, but rather a crime on the Gulf Coast.

According to the U.S. Department of Justice, Mississippi is one of 17 states that has some type of hate crime law, but does not require data collection on those hate crimes. Looking through the last few years, there are only a handful of Pine Belt law enforcement agencies that are part of the reporting program. WDAM contacted every law enforcement agency in the Pine Belt to get a copy of their policy on hate crimes. After all those calls, we got zero policies. Not because agencies didn’t want to release them, but rather because those policies don’t exist.

terribly written laws can skew statistics.

Henry Ford

Footballguy
You are digging to find a 2 year old racist article to try and counter Smollett's stupidity? Is that what this is about?  I'm seriously curious as to how you came across this old article and why you posted it here.

The correct move is to simply delete this thread. It's certainly not helping in any manner what so ever.
1. You can’t delete threads anymore

2. It came across my social media feed and I realized it was two years old after posting

3. It was not at all a counter to anything but another example of false reporting dividing people and claiming groups are criminals who are by and large not. 

Lutherman2112

Footballguy
They reported one hate crime for all of 2017. One. I pointed out in another thread some of the other absurdities in the data. 
That was kinda my point, no data.

I'm of the opinion that violent crime is hate crime and judges should mull over motivations when they consider sentencing.

Widbil83

Footballguy
The President trolls all day and it shouldn’t be covered?

This is how he won the nom and then the job. He is like a pig in #### when trolling.

He gets the headlines, then gets to complain about the coverage. 

Trump trolling about The Oscars and Harry Reid this morning :lol:

Definitely the media’s fault though.
I was responding to you saying 95% of identity politics fills Trumps day, when it’s actually the media who is obsessed with identity politics 24/7. 

Widbil83

Footballguy

This story being revived is kinda like the Democrat greatest hits, they can show a white person being racist and drag law enforcement trough the mud at the same time.  Perfect!

zftcg

Footballguy
Can we seriously stop with the "Here's a story that's vaguely similar to another story and therefore proves ___" crap? The counterexamples never prove anything, and they certainly never convince anyone to renounce all their prior hypocrisy. All you get is a bunch of people saying, "That's different because ..." and then we end up with so much verbal masturbation.

I don't care that some white lady faked a crime and tried to blame BLM, and I wouldn't care if she did it in 2019 or 2016. She was wrong independent of anything Jussie Smollett did, and vice versa. Everyone agrees they're both horrible people. So what exactly are we arguing about?

Users who are viewing this thread