What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official #1 pick 12 team redraft non PPR strategy thread” (1 Viewer)

Judge Smails

Footballguy
Drew the 1 hole this year. Way different as it seems I’ve drafted in the back half for the last decade. Barring injury Jonathan Taylor is the first pick for many including me. But then what? Thoughts:

- some solid RBs potentially available at the 2/3 turn, including the likes of Saquon Barkley and David Montgomery. Like the thought of those types as RB2’s. 

- WR’s here potentially include Tyreke Hill, AJ Brown, Deebo, etc. Solid but question marks on all. Definitely a drop from the big 5 WR.

- tons of WR’s in a huge WR2 tier available in the 4/5 swing and later

- the other question is when to draft a QB. 6 point passing TD league 

Biggest answer to me is determining whether WR’s at that 2/3 turn are really worth it - or are they just bigger names falling in a WR2 bucket? If the latter then I may go RB/RB/RB since I have a flex or go RB/RB/big QB. I haven’t evaluated beyond round 5 yet for where value lies. Thoughts?

Drew the 1 hole this year. Way different as it seems I’ve drafted in the back half for the last decade. Barring injury Jonathan Taylor is the first pick for many including me. But then what? Thoughts:

- some solid RBs potentially available at the 2/3 turn, including the likes of Saquon Barkley and David Montgomery. Like the thought of those types as RB2’s. 

- WR’s here potentially include Tyreke Hill, AJ Brown, Deebo, etc. Solid but question marks on all. Definitely a drop from the big 5 WR.

- tons of WR’s in a huge WR2 tier available in the 4/5 swing and later

- the other question is when to draft a QB. 6 point passing TD league 

Biggest answer to me is determining whether WR’s at that 2/3 turn are really worth it - or are they just bigger names falling in a WR2 bucket? If the latter then I may go RB/RB/RB since I have a flex or go RB/RB/big QB. I haven’t evaluated beyond round 5 yet for where value lies. Thoughts?
1. Taylor for sure.

2. Javonte, Kamara, Barkley, Zeke, Fournette, Connor are all in consideration here.  Can't think of a single other one.  Way too early for Montgomerey IMO.

3.  Almost no WR's worth taking on the 2/3 turn barring a huge fall.  Hill, Evans, Higgins are kind of the only ones. 

Wouldn't want to go RB RB RB so I'd hope Evans is still there, but I'd personally probably look at Kelce/Andrews there if one of them happens to slip.  As for QB, if it's only 4 points for a passing TD I'd probably not touch QB there and wait.  If it's 6, then Allen is definitely worth a look there if someone like Evans/Andrews/Deebo doesn't somehow fall to you.

Not a great spot to be in this year for the 2/3 turn, but you get Taylor so that makes up for it.

Hard to really plan it out though, just take BPA and always there's guys falling.

1.01- Taylor
2.12- Zeke/Connor/Javonte/Barkley/Kamara- Pick your favourite
3.01- Andrews (if he slips)/Allen (if 6 points per passing TD)/Evans (If he's there) are your best 3 options.  If none of those situations happen, then just take another of the above mentioned RB's and focus on WR/TE/QB value with your next 4 picks.

Good stuff. I think good chance that at least 2 of the 3 WR’s you listed are there on the swing. We aren’t TE mandatory so I have to rank them with WR’s. Kelce compares favorably. A consideration for sure. For me I’ve seen enough of Zeke. Line is not the same. Not many 100 yard games (5 point bonus) and he’s no cinch at the goal line anymore. I won’t draft him. I wish Williams had the job to himself. But he doesn’t. I know Connor had a big year but I don’t know -  it feels like a reach that early

Good stuff. I think good chance that at least 2 of the 3 WR’s you listed are there on the swing. We aren’t TE mandatory so I have to rank them with WR’s. Kelce compares favorably. A consideration for sure. For me I’ve seen enough of Zeke. Line is not the same. Not many 100 yard games (5 point bonus) and he’s no cinch at the goal line anymore. I won’t draft him. I wish Williams had the job to himself. But he doesn’t. I know Connor had a big year but I don’t know -  it feels like a reach that early
Fair, was just mainly pointing out options.  You're right about 2 or those 3 WR's being there, but in standard, I PERSONALLY don't like Higgins or Hill at 2.12.  If you don't have mandatory TE then I also would drop those TE's from consideration. 

Are you 4 or 6 points per passing TD?

BTW, glad to see someone else with a similar scoring system. Rare for me to see another no TE mandatory, 6 point QB, non PPR redraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. JT 100%

2.12 - Love that Lenny seems to be available here. I would not let him past the turn. 

3.01 - Seems like Higgins is my favorite of the WR here, but it's hard to take a RL WR2 as my FF WR1. Also might go TE here depending on who's available. 

That's about all I'm comfortable hashing out at this point. I don't know what ADP's gonna look like in a month, and I usually lean VBD here on out anyway. Ideally I come out of the 1st 5 rounds with 2 RB & 3 WR or 3 RB & 2 WR. 

6.12/7.01 seems like a really nice QB spot this year. Tons of value at both positions. But I'd keep an open mind for RB/WR of course. Never let a value slide past the turn.

You just can't know the answer until you get there. If a value WR slips to the 2/3 turn, you need to jump on them. I wouldn't reach for a dude there. FWIW, I don't think Deebo or Tyreek makes it to 2.12. I'd plan on not having those options, and if one slides, yay, you have a no-brainer. 

But you'll have some excellent RB options for sure. Definitely keep your head on a swivel - IMO, that 2-3 turn may just be the most important picks drafting out of the 1-hole.  

For the 2/3 turn I would rely on a combined draft board. Put in the work to create a combined draft board then take the guys you have at the top that are remaining for your pick. If you put in the work then the picks should be easy.

For the 2/3 turn I would rely on a combined draft board. Put in the work to create a combined draft board then take the guys you have at the top that are remaining for your pick. If you put in the work then the picks should be easy.
Sorry but the response, doesn't answer the question- I was asking what people thoughts on doing this would be. Do they think it is a viable stack? Is it not going to work? Those types of things. The way I am seeing mocks done, those 3-4 are available at the 2/3 turn. Saying just use a combined draft board doesn't put any thought into identifying variables and takes on possible lineups.

Sorry but the response, doesn't answer the question- I was asking what people thoughts on doing this would be. Do they think it is a viable stack? Is it not going to work? Those types of things. The way I am seeing mocks done, those 3-4 are available at the 2/3 turn. Saying just use a combined draft board doesn't put any thought into identifying variables and takes on possible lineups.
But it does answer your question also. The goal is to get the player you think will score the most points when it's your turn to pick. A combined board factoru f in all positions will point to the player you think is best to take when it's your turn to pick. If a "stack" pick is the top of the board then do it.

I wouldn't take a player just to stack or not take him to stay away from a stack.......especially at the 2/3 turn. Take the player you think is the best. That gives you the best chance to succeed.

But it does answer your question also. The goal is to get the player you think will score the most points when it's your turn to pick. A combined board factoru f in all positions will point to the player you think is best to take when it's your turn to pick. If a "stack" pick is the top of the board then do it.

I wouldn't take a player just to stack or not take him to stay away from a stack.......especially at the 2/3 turn. Take the player you think is the best. That gives you the best chance to succeed.
This is my #2 rule of any basic draft. #1 of course is to show up at the right place for the draft.

my mistake. I thought since you had posted right after mine it was answering me. I guess it just seems like using a combined draft board is the "flavor of the week" type
Flavor of the week? I have been doing this for over 35 years and the combined draft board is far and away the best approach to a successful draft. Too many people going into drafts that try and plan out a position for every round or forcing a stack or ????? usually end up missing value and torpedo their draft right from the start. A draft is fluid and being able to react and not miss value is key to winning. Putting in the time and effort up front is the best way to adjust to the draft.

my mistake. I thought since you had posted right after mine it was answering me. I guess it just seems like using a combined draft board is the "flavor of the week" type
Flavor of the week? I have been doing this for over 35 years and the combined draft board is far and away the best approach to a successful draft. Too many people going into drafts that try and plan out a position for every round or forcing a stack or ????? usually end up missing value and torpedo their draft right from the start. A draft is fluid and being able to react and not miss value is key to winning. Putting in the time and effort up front is the best way to adjust to the draft.

I’ve been playing fantasy for a thousand years and I’m not exactly sure what you mean by a “combined draft board”. Can I get a readers digest version please?
ETA: is it like having multiple logical paths to follow depending on if you go WR/WR at the 2/3 turn, for example?

I’ve been playing fantasy for a thousand years and I’m not exactly sure what you mean by a “combined draft board”. Can I get a readers digest version please?
ETA: is it like having multiple logical paths to follow depending on if you go WR/WR at the 2/3 turn, for example?
I assume it’s having one ranking list for all positions instead of having a cheat sheet with ranks for each position separately.

I assume it’s having one ranking list for all positions instead of having a cheat sheet with ranks for each position separately.

oh ok. That makes sense. Um, doesn’t everyone have something like that going into a draft? :|

oh ok. That makes sense. Um, doesn’t everyone have something like that going into a draft? :|
Sure but many don't follow it and stick to a rigid plan that they must take RB/RB/WR/TE/QB in that order. So you force a position and miss value opportunities.

If you put in the time up front then you should trust your board and just go with the top guy. Don't force positions.

What he said.

Sure but many don't follow it and stick to a rigid plan that they must take RB/RB/WR/TE/QB in that order. So you force a position and miss value opportunities.

If you put in the time up front then you should trust your board and just go with the top guy. Don't force positions.
100000%

I have my rankings but always have scenarios like “if X Y or Z drop to me at the 2/3 turn, then I’ll take them since I feel good that A B or C will be there at the 4/5 turn”. But I think/hope that’s just common sense of problem solving, tiers, ADP, position scarcity, and logic that everyone reading this board probably does by gut instinct, if not formally written on a draft sheet.

Speaking of which, if Javonte isn’t there at the 2/3 turn, but Tyreek, Evans, KAllen are, then I’m likely going WR/WR at the 2/3 turn since I don’t mind picking my RB2 from the likes of Dobbins/Jacobs/Mitchell at the 4/5.

And (to continue 1st pick strategy)…

I usually wait on QB til after the 8th but if one of the top 6 QBs is still there at the 7/8 turn, I think I’m fine with starting the run on the last remaining top 12 QBs since I expect that looooong 7th round out and 8th round back is going to be all QBs all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread