What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2013/2014 NHL Regular Season Thread*** (1 Viewer)

The Anaheim Ducks acquired center Mathieu Perreault from the Washington Capitals in exchange for forward John Mitchell and a fourth-round pick.
Sad to see MP85 go because he always was a fan favorite but someone had to be moved for cap space to fit Wilson onto the roster and he was the odd man out.Latta and Carrick also made the team which surprised some around here.

I was a little surprised the Bolts sent Drouin back to the Halifax in the juniors but if he wasn't going to be playing that much it would be better for his game to get major playing time to develop even more.

Just posted a new thread, missed this one. Rud please delete that one.

Hawks roll through preseason at 4-0-2, Nordstrom and Smith make the NHL, some were surprised that Stanton didn't stick and Kostka did. As the #8 D-man I don't think it matters a whole lot and likely has more to do with who would be more likely to clear waivers. Hawks will carry 8 defenders to start the season which is interesting since Hossa still isn't practicing with the team. Brookbank and Kostka are #7 and 8 Dmen, barring injuries both of them should be in and out of the lineup to rest Rozsival.

I would expect to see Piri and Morin called up regularly through out the season, esp with Hossa's injury history of late and Handzus towards the end of his career.

Starting lineups should be similar based on lines at practice but I think the 3/4 lines will be interchangeable for the most part. I wouldn't be surprised with Kruger and Handzus moving back and forth between lines either.

I hope Crawford can stay healthy because Khabibulin hasn't looked great, although he's not seen the ice with the full Hawks D in front of him.

Bickell-Toews-Kane
Sharp-Handzus/Kruger-Hossa
Saad-Shaw-Smith
Bollig-Kruger/Handzus-Nordstrom

Seabrook-Keith
Oduya-Hjalmarsson
Rozsival-Leddy

Crawford

Khabibulin

Rangers to win 55 games and go on to win the Stanley Cup. You heard it here first.

Please refrain from ridicule until after they lose 7 of the first 10 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice to see the Hawks return almost everyone instead of having a yard sale. Loved Bolland but can't see him staying healthy. Stalberg's speed was nice but he was too one-dimensional IMO. Hated to see Frolik go, great PK'er, just had the wrong contract. It was a luxury having Emery as the backup and understand him wanting a shot at starting.

Interested in seeing what Bickell can do with Toews/Kane for 82 games. Hope Hossa can get healthy and stay that way. Was kind of expecting Piri or Morin to make the team instead of an 8th D. Love the top 3 defensive pairings. Go Hawks.

It's nice to see the Hawks return almost everyone instead of having a yard sale. Loved Bolland but can't see him staying healthy. Stalberg's speed was nice but he was too one-dimensional IMO. Hated to see Frolik go, great PK'er, just had the wrong contract. It was a luxury having Emery as the backup and understand him wanting a shot at starting.

Interested in seeing what Bickell can do with Toews/Kane for 82 games. Hope Hossa can get healthy and stay that way. Was kind of expecting Piri or Morin to make the team instead of an 8th D. Love the top 3 defensive pairings. Go Hawks.
Piri wasn't very impressive from the games that I saw, Morin was a suprise and Hayes is sooo slow. And yeah that 8th D is odd with Hossa already ailing. I think you'll love Nordstrom, seems to be taking Frolik's roll but is more physical.

LET'S GO ISLANDERS !!!

Not hoping for the playoffs this year - expecting it.

Strome, Donovan & Reinhart are close to NHL ready - wouldn't be surprised to see 2 out of 3 make the team from the start.

Finley has already been waived to make room.

Nabokov is OK - worried about his backup Poulin and the 20-25 games he'll get. They really need to find an eventual replacement for Nabokov.

LET'S GO ISLANDERS !!!

Not hoping for the playoffs this year - expecting it.

Strome, Donovan & Reinhart are close to NHL ready - wouldn't be surprised to see 2 out of 3 make the team from the start.

Finley has already been waived to make room.

Nabokov is OK - worried about his backup Poulin and the 20-25 games he'll get. They really need to find an eventual replacement for Nabokov.
I remember Poulin was fantastic during his first cup of coffee in the NHL 2 years ago. Looks like he hasn't regained his form from then after his season ending surgery that year though. I could still see him being a competent backup for the year though.

Any thoughts on the hybrid icing rule? Looks like it's going to get approved.

I don't mind it for the relatively few times that it comes into play in a given game. I've been watching it in the college game for a while, but I would think some of the faster, more aggressive forechecking teams might lose some of their edge.

Aaron Rudnicki said:
GTBilly said:
Is this the year that Tavares becomes a elite superstar? I'll hang up and listen.
I thought he did last year. Top 3 in MVP voting is elite IMO.
Okay, let me rephrase. Can/Will he threaten/win for Richard or Ross?

Brock Nelson, Griffin Reinhart & Matt Donovan make the team.

Strome does not - probably the first call-up once PMB gets hurt

The Anaheim Ducks acquired center Mathieu Perreault from the Washington Capitals in exchange for forward John Mitchell and a fourth-round pick.
Sad to see MP85 go because he always was a fan favorite but someone had to be moved for cap space to fit Wilson onto the roster and he was the odd man out.Latta and Carrick also made the team which surprised some around here.
I haven't been paying much attention this offseason. What will our typical lines look like?

No idea what to expect from the Canucks this year (failing, yes I know, har har). More healthy than they've been in the last few years and Bobby w/ a chip on his shoulder. Expectations are lower, so pressure is lower, I'd think. Maybe they can surprise? Be fun finding out.

Flyers to sign Hal Gill after his camp tryout, you can never have enough speed on your blue line. :mellow:
How has Emery played so far in the preseason?
Like the never ending goalie search in Philadelphia will continue. He's been ok, it has more to do with the team in front of him, he won't be going 17-1 this season. I predicted over the summer that Laviolette wouldn't see Christmas, if they continue their preseason play into the start of the season, he might not see Halloween. :hotseatalert:

No idea what to expect from the Canucks this year (failing, yes I know, har har). More healthy than they've been in the last few years and Bobby w/ a chip on his shoulder. Expectations are lower, so pressure is lower, I'd think. Maybe they can surprise? Be fun finding out.
Torts is going to make the Sedins and Loungo fold like cheap folding chairs.

Flyers to sign Hal Gill after his camp tryout, you can never have enough speed on your blue line. :mellow:
How has Emery played so far in the preseason?
Like the never ending goalie search in Philadelphia will continue. He's been ok, it has more to do with the team in front of him, he won't be going 17-1 this season. I predicted over the summer that Laviolette wouldn't see Christmas, if they continue their preseason play into the start of the season, he might not see Halloween. :hotseatalert:
Yeah he had it pretty good with the Hawks D last year, still hope he has a good year. Really like him and his intensity, wish he stayed with the Hawks.

So is Center Ice actually going to be carrying Flyers' feeds from CSN Philly this year? I thought they had closed the terrestrial loophole but the feeds were still absent last year (at least on DTV). I'm seeing multiple channels for Flyers games on the Center Ice schedule (except for the first couple games vs Canadian teams).

Kessel 8 years 64 million, pretty much assures the Leafs are at least a playoff contender for the foreseeable future.
When are they going to learn. Isnt this what the whole lockout was about. Money doesnt matter, the 8 year contracts are crazy

I haven't been paying much attention this offseason. What will our typical lines look like?
Should look something like this.

Johansson-Backstrom-Ovechkin

Erat/Laich-Grabovski-Brouwer

Chimera/Erat-Fehr-Ward

Volpatti-Latta/Beagle-Wilson

Laich is no lock to play tonight so if he sits I see Erat sliding up from the 3rd line to the 2nd and Chimera could either be knocked down to the 4th line or sat.

D

Alzner-Green

Erskine-Carlson

Hillen-Oleksy

Carrick

The 3rd pairing could also get a shuffle with Carrick getting the nod here.I can't imagine they brought him in at his young age to sit and watch.

After the interesting dealings of the offseason, the Bruins will have plenty of different looks up front.

Iginla slides into Horton's spot on the "top" line with Eriksson on the "second" line where Jagr was at the end of the season. The third line will have Soderberg and Reilly Smith alongside Chris Kelly where Seguin and Peverley used to be. Not surprisingly, the lone unchanged unit should be the "Merlot" line.

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla

Marchand-Bergeron-Eriksson

Soderberg-Kelly-Smith

Paille-Campbell-Thornton

I will be curious to see how the defense lines up, but this is how it looked at the end of the preseason:

Chara-Boychuk

Seidenberg-Hamilton

Krug-McQuaid

Bartkowski-Miller

We're #1! Yay!

According to oddsmaker Bovada, Peter Laviolette is the NHL head coach most likely to be fired first this season. The odds are 2/1. Joining him on the list are Flames coach Bob Hartley (5/2 odds), Hurricanes coach Kirk Muller (3/1), Wild coach Mike Yeo (4/1) and Jets coach Claude Noel (9/2).

After the interesting dealings of the offseason, the Bruins will have plenty of different looks up front.

Iginla slides into Horton's spot on the "top" line with Eriksson on the "second" line where Jagr was at the end of the season. The third line will have Soderberg and Reilly Smith alongside Chris Kelly where Seguin and Peverley used to be. Not surprisingly, the lone unchanged unit should be the "Merlot" line.

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla

Soderberg-Kelly-Smith

Paille-Campbell-Thornton

I will be curious to see how the defense lines up, but this is how it looked at the end of the preseason:

Chara-Boychuk

Seidenberg-Hamilton

Krug-McQuaid

Bartkowski-Miller
Thought this was interesting

‏@mc79hockey 40m
It's weird how BOS had to punt two highly skilled young guys in a row because they couldn't figure out how to fit them into the room.

Lucic-Krejci-Iginla

Soderberg-Kelly-Smith

Paille-Campbell-Thornton

Chara-Boychuk

Seidenberg-Hamilton

Krug-McQuaid

Bartkowski-Miller
Thought this was interesting

‏@mc79hockey 40m
It's weird how BOS had to punt two highly skilled young guys in a row because they couldn't figure out how to fit them into the room.
Assume they're talking about Kessel and Seguin.

No doubt they're highly skilled, but I guess the fact that their games don't fit the Bruins system has been rehashed to death.

Add in any outside "issues" (i.e. Kessel's perceived "softness", Seguin's maturity), and there you go.

JaxBill said:
We're #1! Yay!

According to oddsmaker Bovada, Peter Laviolette is the NHL head coach most likely to be fired first this season. The odds are 2/1. Joining him on the list are Flames coach Bob Hartley (5/2 odds), Hurricanes coach Kirk Muller (3/1), Wild coach Mike Yeo (4/1) and Jets coach Claude Noel (9/2).
Should be free money. Rud needs to add that into the wagering thread.

Glad the Leafs spent all that money on Kessel and traded for another goalie. Their defense still is terrible.

Has CBC shown Mrs. Reimer and Mrs. Phaneuf yet?

the banner has been hung from the rafters with care , the Anthem has been sung and the Hawks score early. Happy HOCTOBER

Users who are viewing this thread