What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2013 World Series Thread Red Sox v Cardinals*** (1 Viewer)

Who wins?

• Red Sox in 7

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Red Sox in 6

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • Red Sox in 5

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Red Sox in 4

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Cards in 7

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Cards in 6

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • Cards in 5

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Cards in 4

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
Game 1 St. Louis @ Boston Wed, Oct 23 7:30

Game 2 St. Louis @ Boston Thu, Oct 24 7:30

Game 3 Boston @ St. Louis Sat, Oct 26 7:30

Game 4 Boston @ St. Louis Sun, Oct 27 8:00

Game 5 Boston @ St. Louis Mon, Oct 28 7:30

Game 6 St. Louis @ Boston Wed, Oct 30 7:30

Game 7 St. Louis @ Boston Thu, Oct 31 7:30

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is any change or updates to the starting pitchers, just let me know and I'll change the OP. Looks like Allen Craig will DH for the Cards, which is huge. Shelby Miller a possible in game 3 or 4???

I would think they have to go with Miller over Lynn.
I don't know much about Kelly, I'd like to hear why Miller hasn't been more a part of the postseason. Lynn is a crazy talent, just seems to be erratic. Reminds me of Scherzer two years ago.
Miller's arm is tired. He's more than 20 innings over his career high. If this wasn't the postseason, he would probably be shut down.

Craig being healthy enough to contribute is a big deal for this team. They sorely miss his bat in the middle of the lineup.

Craig being healthy enough to contribute is a big deal for this team. They sorely miss his bat in the middle of the lineup.
Kirkjian said Craig will be healthy enough to DH in Boston and pinch-hit in St. Louis, but probably won't be agile enough to field a position.Even a part-time Craig is huge news. Now Shane Robinson doesn't have to be the DH, and the Cards will have a real pinch-hitter for the NL-rules games.

For you Cardinals fans who don't follow the AL... Red Sox fans are like that guy at the office who was a virgin at 27-28, then finally gets his first girlfriend, and now he won't shut up about how much he's getting laid.

Well, I'll be the first to admit when I was pretty wrong, and I severely underestimated (maybe a bit of overestimation of the Dodgers too) the Cards. I did not no way expect that kind of pitching performance by Wacha for sure, and even Kelly and Lynn pitched very well.

Depending on how the series opens up, the games at St Louis will either feature Ortiz on the bench, or Ortiz at first and Napoli catching??? Either one is a big negative for the Red Sox.

And if the Cards get Craig back at DH that is gonna help sure, although he hasn't played in a bit so I wouldn't expect a monster middle of the order bat, but Craig always seems to hit well with runners on base which is big.

Beltran is just big in the playoffs.

I will not underestimate this Cardinals team again. For results of this poll, I went with Red Sox in four, but it wouldn't surprise me if it took them 5 games. Red Sox seem to hit fast balls really well, and I expect Wainwright to be big, I don't see the rest of that rotation being as good. Sox bullpen is very good, and all the Cards relievers do is throw it really ####### fast. Sox defense is still a plus. Precedent already been set for a Sox sweep, no reason not for history to repeat itself.

Some of you folks sound jealous or something with all your Red Sox hatred. Every team has dooshy fans. Boston probably has more than most, but they also have a huge following of intelligent, interested, dedicated die hards that follow the team from around the globe (and that contingent is probably the largest of any fan base).

I imagine icon coming in here and acting like a fool doesnt help things though :kicksrock:

Some of you folks sound jealous or something with all your Red Sox hatred. Every team has dooshy fans. Boston probably has more than most, but they also have a huge following of intelligent, interested, dedicated die hards that follow the team from around the globe (and that contingent is probably the largest of any fan base).

I imagine icon coming in here and acting like a fool doesnt help things though :kicksrock:
This forum is shtick/entertainment for me for baseball purposes. I prefer other spots for more "serious" baseball talk.

There are a couple guys here who provide pretty solid analysis but generally speaking the baseball IQ is pretty low across the board here.

I've already admitted that I'm just jealous (of both teams).

This forum is shtick/entertainment for me for baseball purposes. I prefer other spots for more "serious" baseball talk.

There are a couple guys here who provide pretty solid analysis but generally speaking the baseball IQ is pretty low across the board here.
:goodposting: I come to these boards for entertainment, not for any kind of intellectual analysis or whatever. ####, I have a day job that has nothing to do with sports. Why would I want to get into the nitty-gritties of it?

Some of you folks sound jealous or something with all your Yankees hatred. Every team has dooshy fans. New York probably has more than most, but they also have a huge following of intelligent, interested, dedicated die hards that follow the team from around the globe (and that contingent is probably the largest of any fan base).
Fixed to represent any Yankee fan, circa 2000-2009. It's what happens when your team gets good. You acquire a bunch of bandwagoners, which brings the overall quality of your fans down a peg or five.

For you Cardinals fans who don't follow the AL... Red Sox fans are like that guy at the office who was a virgin at 27-28, then finally gets his first girlfriend, and now he won't shut up about how much he's getting laid.
Except his first girlfriend is Shakira, so he unfortunately has lots to brag about

and on cue icon and johnny show up making things worse by acting like they are above this place.
Above the place? Hardly. I love this forum including the baseball side... But if you're taking things seriously enough that my shtick is affecting your opinion of Red Sox fans as a whole.... Well... I can't help ya :lol:

Except his first girlfriend is Shakira, so he unfortunately has lots to brag about
And it's not so much "girlfriend" as in "I slipped a mickey in her drink and touched a boob before I was beaten by her security".

Lots of negativity in these threads, not sure when that became the norm... This should be a great series, maybe we can discuss its potential, examine the issues, etc?

I can speak well to the Sox, will need others to help with the Cards. The issue of Craig was brought up above, is there any other point of discussion for them?

For the Sox, here's a couple:

-Rotation: I think it goes Lester/Lackey/Buch/Peavey. Buch/Peavey back to back has a chance to tax the bullpen but so be it... It is possible Lackey and Buch flip, but I doubt it

-Roster: Morales did not exactly cover himself in glory. I think he is off the roster, replaced by Thornton. I also hope to never see Thornton make an appearance

-Starting 9: First, Bogaerts is the new 3B. You may see Middlebrooks on late as a defensive replacement, but the rookie has claimed the starting spot. Drew will remain at short throughout, his glove has saved plenty of runs to cover up his noodle bat.

-1B in the NL: Ortiz will start all 3 games I expect, facing righties, Napoli to the bench.

Comparing the two:

-The Sox have a decent edge I think with home-field advantage and a legit DH who is healthy. Craig may play, but you have to assume he will be at least a little rusty at best. That is a pretty good advantage.

-Cards have the better catcher, no doubt. I think the Sox will need to back off their steal / hit&run attempts or they will be running into too many outs

-Boston's bench is *much* deeper than St Louis, and this could really show itself in the NL park with the pitcher changeouts.

Just as in the ALCS, I think the home field advantage is important, and I like the Sox to win in 6.

and on cue icon and johnny show up making things worse by acting like they are above this place.
Jesus moops stick together with the righteous .Some of us still bear the pain of Bucky ####### Dent. I make no apologies for being a Red Sox fan.

And it's not so much "girlfriend" as in "I slipped a mickey in her drink and touched a boob before I was beaten by her security".
I think you misunderstood me, I was saying the Sox DO have something to brag about. Winning two WS and being in a third, and winning in 04 in about the most dramatic way imaginable, gives you plenty of reason to brag. At some point, they may have been a 28 year old virgin. But now, they're banging Shakira. I'd brag too. :shrug:

Lots of negativity in these threads, not sure when that became the norm... This should be a great series, maybe we can discuss its potential, examine the issues, etc?

I can speak well to the Sox, will need others to help with the Cards. The issue of Craig was brought up above, is there any other point of discussion for them?

-Rotation: I think it goes Lester/Lackey/Buch/Peavey. Buch/Peavey back to back has a chance to tax the bullpen but so be it... It is possible Lackey and Buch flip, but I doubt it

-Roster: Morales did not exactly cover himself in glory. I think he is off the roster, replaced by Thornton. I also hope to never see Thornton make an appearance

-Starting 9: First, Bogaerts is the new 3B. You may see Middlebrooks on late as a defensive replacement, but the rookie has claimed the starting spot. Drew will remain at short throughout, his glove has saved plenty of runs to cover up his noodle bat.

-1B in the NL: Ortiz will start all 3 games I expect, facing righties, Napoli to the bench.

Comparing the two:

-The Sox have a decent edge I think with home-field advantage and a legit DH who is healthy. Craig may play, but you have to assume he will be at least a little rusty at best. That is a pretty good advantage.

-Cards have the better catcher, no doubt. I think the Sox will need to back off their steal / hit&run attempts or they will be running into too many outs

-Boston's bench is *much* deeper than St Louis, and this could really show itself in the NL park with the pitcher changeouts.

Just as in the ALCS, I think the home field advantage is important, and I like the Sox to win in 6.
With the way they've been pitching, the Cardinals rotation looks an awful lot like the Tigers these days. Except they then have a bunch of young flamethrowers who don't give up hits coming out of the pen. They aren't as good as Detroit offensively, but that's with the Tigers at full health. I think the Sox are going to have problems with the Cardinal bats. Bunch of tough outs in this lineup, though it is lacking a Miggy/Pujols/Papi type.

I like Cards in six, though it admittedly be wishful thinking.

Comparing the two:

With the way they've been pitching, the Cardinals rotation looks an awful lot like the Tigers these days. Except they then have a bunch of young flamethrowers who don't give up hits coming out of the pen. They aren't as good as Detroit offensively, but that's with the Tigers at full health. I think the Sox are going to have problems with the Cardinal bats. Bunch of tough outs in this lineup, though it is lacking a Miggy/Pujols/Papi type.

I like Cards in six, though it admittedly be wishful thinking.
The Tigers O was really toothless with Miggy hurt . No such luck with the Cards especially with Craig coming back. Should be a fun series

I'm Helltoupee and I'm a lifelong Sox fan

Top 3 favorite players all time

1-Jim Ed Rice

2-Fred Lynn

3-Pedro
SameTed Williams (though never saw him play) is my personal fave... Always has been. Have been #9 in every organized sport since I started playing.

Boggs, tek, trot, pedroia are other more current favorites I've loved watching.

Anyone else working on scoring tickets to the Series?

I can do either Game 1 or 6. Tickets are ridiculous right now but they will come down close to game time. If anyone has insight into getting reasonable prices I am all ears. At the current prices a flight to St Louis and hotel would be cheaper considering the difference in prices at the two parks

Lifelong Sox fan here. Not sure where the hate comes from. I remember when everyone hated the Yankees, which was right and just.

Can't even do a top three Red Sox players of all time. Too much love, too many great players.

I miss watching Pedro Martinez pitch.

I think the Cards have the overall advantage re: the DH, with Ortiz either having to sit or displace Napoli (and pick up a glove) in STL. A plus-hitter, even a somewhat-rusty one, is a luxury that the Cards have.

The disadvantage for STL is that they're apparently going to use Kelly over Miller, who is incredibly good at home. I think Waino's the best pitcher in either rotation, but Kelly and Lynn might be the two worst. But Boston only has one competent-or-better lefty to throw at STL, whereas LA had two.

Starting Gomes over Nava against righties seems crazy to me. Also Boston missed a great situation to PH Carp for Drew and then bring Middlebrooks in, and missed it. Morales was a gas can, but Morales is an obvious LOOGY. He's been absolutely obliterated by righties, and Farrell left him in against Martinez which seems like an indefensible move, esp. with Workman ready. Boston's supposedly a pretty sophisticated team in their front office, they were out ahead of a lot of others a decade ago and they have two WS to thank in large part because they embraced a paradigm shift, which makes it even more amazing that such dunder-headedness is allowed to run rampant in the dugout.

STL does very well against righties, but Boston smashes them. Far and away beyond any other team in MLB this season, and STL has no lefty starters. I don't think that Farrell will even be able to fuck this up.

Sox in 6.

Users who are viewing this thread