What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2014 St. Louis Cardinals Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Brady Marino said:
curta269 said:
They are having a great offseason so far!! They really only need someone that hits RH utility infielder and thats it. I don't think I have ever seen the roster being set so early. Its not even December yet. This is a good sign for us Cardinals fans!
You may chuckle, but I wonder if the Cards take a flyer on Casey McGehee, who hit 27 HRs in Japan this past year. He could be a good compliment to Adams and Carp at 1st and 3rd respectively.
Sorry... Adams is already using all the husky pants the Cards have on hand.

Michael Young seems like a guy they'd take a look at. No?
You really think he's a 3B anymore? He graded horribly there in 2013.
#### defensive replacements. This organization hasn't worried about defense for a decade. Got a guy who can maybe hit a little, but he used to be a Catcher? We can turn him into a second baseman. I know it!

Quit faking it. Either get someone who actually has a REALLY good glove and couldn't hit anything if he had Ike Turner sewn to his ### or find someone who can hit and is NEVER going to play the field.

I'll take a ####### bat off the bench for once. Can he still hit a little?

Michael Young seems like a guy they'd take a look at. No?
You really think he's a 3B anymore? He graded horribly there in 2013.
#### defensive replacements. This organization hasn't worried about defense for a decade. Got a guy who can maybe hit a little, but he used to be a Catcher? We can turn him into a second baseman. I know it!

Quit faking it. Either get someone who actually has a REALLY good glove and couldn't hit anything if he had Ike Turner sewn to his ### or find someone who can hit and is NEVER going to play the field.

I'll take a ####### bat off the bench for once. Can he still hit a little?
His power has eroded over the years to the point where he can't be relied on as a top bat off the bench anymore, IMO. He has not much more power than Descalso at this point, although he can still hit for around a fairly empty .270/.330 average/on-base.

I like the Mark Ellis signing - good fielder, a righty bat who can play if Wong has to sit against lefties, and is fine for hitting 8th if Wong isn't ready for the show at all.

So now I guess the infield question is, does Kozma make the opening-day roster if everyone is healthy? I'd think Descalso will make the team since he can play SS, 3B, and 2B for peanuts.

Carpenter 3B

Peralta SS

Holliday LF

Craig RF

Adams 1B

Molina C

Bourjos CF

Wong 2B

Bench: Ellis 2B, Descalso IF, IrrelevantButRequired C, Jay OF, Taveras CO, Robinson OF

I suppose if they want to wait on Taveras, Kozma might make the team, but that bench would make Wainwright the 3rd-bet pinch-hitter on the team, maybe 2nd-best against lefties.

Hard to complain since the starting lineup is so good and the ceiling for the rotation may not exist, but I guess liked the luxury of having four big bats for the corner outfield spots and 1B last season once Adams broke out.

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

Source: Ellis one-year deal with #STLCards worth $5.25M plus incentives.
A lot of money for a part-timer. :unsure:

Edit: He also can make $1 mil in incentives.
As long as there is no option attached, its all good. They obviously have that money in the budget for 2014 and honestly, I'm not sure where else they could spend it. The 25-man roster seems crowded and that was one piece that fit.

Yep, I like the Ellis signing. A little steep but great insurance for Wong if he struggles and needs to spend May in Memphis. He can get 300 ABs and be productive.

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

Source: Ellis one-year deal with #STLCards worth $5.25M plus incentives.
A lot of money for a part-timer. :unsure:

Edit: He also can make $1 mil in incentives.
As long as there is no option attached, its all good. They obviously have that money in the budget for 2014 and honestly, I'm not sure where else they could spend it. The 25-man roster seems crowded and that was one piece that fit.
Good points. The Cards should get outstanding value from the starting pitching, so a 1-year deal for Ellis, even overpaid a bit, is relatively harmless. It takes some pressure off of Wong this season if he needs some time to adjust to the show. And if the free-agent market really is $6MM per 1.0 WAR as it seems to be, the expectations for Ellis aren't really that high. He's not going to hit 2nd like he inexplicably did for they Dodgers. If he turns some double plays and isn't an automatic out against lefties in the 8-hole, he's doing his job.

Wainwright was named the Opening Day starter. No surprise there. Plan is to have him pitch in five spring training games, staggered to have him ready to pitch for real on March 31 against the Reds.

Carlos Martinez was named the starting pitcher for the first spring training game. Tyler Lyons will also pitch. Both guys are on Matheny's eight-man audition list for the rotation.

I'm coming around on this "hoard all the young arms" thing. Barring a complete collapse in RISP mojo, the offense will be sufficient, and the fielding should be improved, especially if Taveras shows he's ready to be the big-boy RF.

Wainwright was named the Opening Day starter. No surprise there. Plan is to have him pitch in five spring training games, staggered to have him ready to pitch for real on March 31 against the Reds.

Carlos Martinez was named the starting pitcher for the first spring training game. Tyler Lyons will also pitch. Both guys are on Matheny's eight-man audition list for the rotation.

I'm coming around on this "hoard all the young arms" thing. Barring a complete collapse in RISP mojo, the offense will be sufficient, and the fielding should be improved, especially if Taveras shows he's ready to be the big-boy RF.
Plus there's nothing wrong with having extra starters in the 'pen. For instance, no reason Lyons can't be a good lefty out of the pen. I do worry about someone like Carlos Martinez getting his development stunted by being in the pen, though.

Plus there's nothing wrong with having extra starters in the 'pen. For instance, no reason Lyons can't be a good lefty out of the pen. I do worry about someone like Carlos Martinez getting his development stunted by being in the pen, though.
FWIW, we were saying the same thing about Rosenthal being "stuck in the pen" last season. Sometimes this stuff works itself out.

Garcia's issue definitely opens a spot up, but I'm thinking Wainwright, Wacha, Lynn, Miller and Kelly is probably the starting five at this point.

Cards have signed Cuban SS Aldemys Diaz.

Yankees, Twins are among teams that passed on him. Scouting reports on him mixed. Thoughts?

Yankees, Twins are among teams that passed on him. Scouting reports on him mixed. Thoughts?
Is "mixed" Cuban for "not so good"? A lot of teams cooled on him pretty quickly. But the Cardinals are a pretty sharp organization who deserve the benefit of doubt. They must have seen enough to warrant a spot on the 40 man roster.

Is "mixed" Cuban for "not so good"? A lot of teams cooled on him pretty quickly. But the Cardinals are a pretty sharp organization who deserve the benefit of doubt. They must have seen enough to warrant a spot on the 40 man roster.
Plus, they can afford to let him get the hang of the US game by stashing him in the high minors for a while. My guess is a cup of coffee in September at the most this year, will be competing for PT next year.

Any guesses who gets that 5th spot? Martinez or Kelly?

This rotation is looking filthy. When guys like Lynn and Kelly are your 4th and 5th options, hard to not feel good about that.

My guess is that they will give Kelly the nod in appreciation for how he stepped up late last year, but Martinez is probably the long term answer.

These errors are a little unsettling.
Yesterday was nothing to worry about. Jon Jay correctly assumed he must catch anything he can get to, and it just so happened that Holliday was actually there (and not listening to Jay call him off).

The departure of Beltran makes the offense look a lot less scary, but the pitching is gonna be deadly all year. The offense was on fire early on last year and then struggled down the stretch, including much of the postseason, so hopefully this year will be the opposite. The pitching will be more than good enough to get what will probably be an average offense well into October.

The departure of Beltran makes the offense look a lot less scary, but the pitching is gonna be deadly all year. The offense was on fire early on last year and then struggled down the stretch, including much of the postseason, so hopefully this year will be the opposite. The pitching will be more than good enough to get what will probably be an average offense well into October.
I think there's a fair chance that Adams matches Beltran's OPS this season.

These errors are a little unsettling.
Yesterday was nothing to worry about. Jon Jay correctly assumed he must catch anything he can get to, and it just so happened that Holliday was actually there (and not listening to Jay call him off).
Still not worried? 4 games into the season and 4 games in a row with at least 1 error. I wonder what the record for consecutive games with an error to start the season is.

Is there any reason to think that Tavares won't play every day when he comes up? Seems like they could use some help in the OF and are even considering bringing him up before the presumed super 2 deadline, though that could be a little bit of smoke and mirrors. Either way, it seems like they want him up very soon.

Long Ball Larry said:
Is there any reason to think that Tavares won't play every day when he comes up? Seems like they could use some help in the OF and are even considering bringing him up before the presumed super 2 deadline, though that could be a little bit of smoke and mirrors. Either way, it seems like they want him up very soon.
Yes, there's reason to be concerned he wouldn't play every day.

They aren't benching Holliday, Craig or Adams. That means Taveras will not only have to hit, he'll have to hit at a rate so much better than Peter Bourjos that it makes up for the wide gap between his defensive skill set and Bourjos'.

Don't get me wrong, they wouldn't call him up to sit the bench... but he'd see regular games off (particularly against lefties) unless there is an injury.

are they really that tied to Craig?

Was kind of a late bloomer and he is hitting the ball terribly this year, it seems.
Yes. He signed a 5 yr/31 mil extension last season.

He was a career ,308/369/.518 minor leaguer and is a .298/.351/.474 big leaguer.

There was no late bloom. It was just a matter of finding a defensive home for him.

As for this season-- it was a slow start, but he's hitting .274 in May and has been making much better contact. The numbers will be there in the end.

hmm, ok, i missed that contract. thanks.

that is definitely a crowded OF.

I'm a Phillies' fan, so I don't know what it's like to even have 1 good OF.

I'm not sure Taveras stays down much after June 1st, assuming his defense in CF is fine. If it is, buh bye Jay.

It'll take Piscotty and/or Grichuk hitting like Barry Bonds for Craig's status with the team to change, at least at this point.

Brady Marino said:
I'm not sure Taveras stays down much after June 1st, assuming his defense in CF is fine. If it is, buh bye Jay.

It'll take Piscotty and/or Grichuk hitting like Barry Bonds for Craig's status with the team to change, at least at this point.
I wouldn't be so quick to write-off a career .292/.355/.399 guy that can play all three OF positions. There's room for him as the No. 5 OF.

Users who are viewing this thread