What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official 2015 College Football Thread *** (3 Viewers)

Freshman to lead the Sooners this year. Belldozer still just a gimmick!

BREAKING: Knight Named OU Starting QBNORMAN, Oklahoma - Sources have confirmed that Trevor Knight will be named OU's starting quarterback for the 2013 season.

The announcement is expected to come either Tuesday evening or Wednesday.

Knight has excelled during summer and fall preseason camp and is considered a dangerous runner and terrific passer who can make all the throws. The redshirt freshman has consistently made big plays with his arm but also his legs, something OU has not had in the Stoops era except in the year before Jason White tore up a knee.

OU worked on a lot of option football in the spring and although Knight excited the coaches with his dynamic playmaking, he was too inconsistent at that time to be named the starter.

Since fall, insiders confirm he's clearly outplayed junior Blake Bell, the presumptive starter.

Some insiders believe Knight is the best prospect the Sooners have seen since Sam Bradford.

I had felt all along it would be a difficult thing for the staff to go with anyone other than Bell. But after a source with knowledge told me yesterday that Knight was the guy, I upgraded my percentage of it happening from 20 to 51 percent. Now, inside sources say the announcement is imminent—not Friday or Saturday.

Going with a redshirt freshman over a popular junior who has paid his dues is dicey. It's sure to concern highly-touted younger QBs in the system—true freshman Cody Thomas, Kendal Thompson and a local hot-shot commit. But Bob Stoops knows that making tough decisions is absolutely mandatory, regardless of unfortunate consequences. With an unproven defense, scoring as many points as possible is the priority.

And the coaches are convinced that going with the surprising starter with loads of upside is in their best interest.

The Landry Jones style offense is out. A new mobile QB is in. Sooner fans hope the new man under and new offensive mentality is the difference between Knight and day.
http://www.news9.com/story/23200041/breaking-knight
Awesome. So glad they have the balls to go through with this.

Gamecocks and Aggies to be first game on SEC Network in 2014

South Carolina will begin its rivalry with Texas A&M and open the SEC Network along the way on Aug. 28, 2014.

The Gamecocks will play the Aggies, their new permanent crossover opponent from the SEC West, in Williams-Brice Stadium in the first game televised by the conferences fledgling 24-hour television network, the school announced Wednesday as the SEC released its 2014 football schedule. The SEC Network will go on air on Aug. 21, 2014.

They changed the rivalries? Why didn't they just pair A&M with Mizzou?

eta: Nevermind. I figured it out. Mizzou and Arkansas wanted each other as rivals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Freshman to lead the Sooners this year. Belldozer still just a gimmick!
As an outsider that doesn't care if OU wins or loses, I'm disappointed by this news.
Care to elaborate?
Just referring to personal entertainment value. I wanted to watch Belldozer.
Yeah he is pretty fun. I'd bet that he'll still get in quite a bit around the goalline. Knight is supposedly an extremely entertaining player, he's faster/more mobile than Bell (just not nearly as large) and he's a much better thrower. I think OU's offense will be more versatile and more fun to watch with Knight at the helm. They aren't a threat to win this year so might as well get the young kid with more upside and more eligibility left some experience. I'm very happy about this news.

I'm not very familiar with Paul Myerberg's work but he's doing some pretty detailed analysis at USA Today on this years crop of teams. A buddy of mine sent me the link to Michigan...he's has several left to unveil, but there are a lot out there to read that he's already done.

Link
Wow, he has my attention. Looks like I found my reading material for the next 10 days...

GQ 'Nick Saban: Sympathy for the Devil'

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/sports/201309/coach-nick-saban-alabama-maniac

"Saban tucks into the corner of a wingback armchair and seems, if not relaxed, at least more at ease. He's in control now. He has limited external factors. I've been told that Saban enters every meeting, however trivial, with a sense of purpose, and in short order he makes clear that the purpose of our meeting is to set the record straight about Nick Saban the man. For one thing, Nick Saban doesn't enjoy being compared to the devil. He doesn't think it's funny, perhaps because it hits too close to home.

"It used to upset me," he says. "I would come and say to my wife, 'I'm not like that at all. Why do these guys say I'm that way?' And she would say, 'You ever watch yourself in a press conference?' You can blame the other guy for saying it, or you can look at yourself and say, 'I must have contributed to this.'"

And yet Saban, now entering his seventh season at Alabama and soon to be a grandfather, insists that the caricature of him as Lucifer in a headset no longer applies.

"I think I'm pretty misunderstood, because I'm not just about football," he tells me. "I'm kind of portrayed as this one-dimensional person who—this is everything to me." He gestures toward the football building around him. "I almost feel like I'm not that way at all.""

Travis Haney ‏@TravHaneyESPN 2m

Source said NCAA investigators questioned Manziel on Sunday for nearly 6 hours. It's unclear whether additional questioning is necessary.

Travis Haney ‏@TravHaneyESPN 4m

BREAKING: NCAA officials met Sunday with Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel, a source familiar with the investigation told me Monday.

@BFeldmanCBS: BREAKING Johnny Manziel met w/ NCAA & denied allegations he took money for signing autographs

The NCAA knows they're SOL on proving anything related to Manziel getting paid. They were probably hoping to get him to lie about something they could prove in that long session, a la Justin Blackmon.

"Saban tucks into the corner of a wingback armchair and seems, if not relaxed, at least more at ease. He's in control now. He has limited external factors. I've been told that Saban enters every meeting, however trivial, with a sense of purpose, and in short order he makes clear that the purpose of our meeting is to set the record straight about Nick Saban the man. For one thing, Nick Saban doesn't enjoy being compared to the devil. He doesn't think it's funny, perhaps because it hits too close to home.

"It used to upset me," he says. "I would come and say to my wife, 'I'm not like that at all. Why do these guys say I'm that way?' And she would say, 'You ever watch yourself in a press conference?' You can blame the other guy for saying it, or you can look at yourself and say, 'I must have contributed to this.'"

And yet Saban, now entering his seventh season at Alabama and soon to be a grandfather, insists that the caricature of him as Lucifer in a headset no longer applies.

"I think I'm pretty misunderstood, because I'm not just about football," he tells me. "I'm kind of portrayed as this one-dimensional person who—this is everything to me." He gestures toward the football building around him. "I almost feel like I'm not that way at all.""
Isn't it Bama haters calling him this? Dude can recruit, coach 'em up and win. Who wouldn't want that? :shrug:

"I think I'm pretty misunderstood, because I'm not just about football," he tells me. "I'm kind of portrayed as this one-dimensional person whothis is everything to me." He gestures toward the football building around him. "I almost feel like I'm not that way at all.""
Isn't it Bama haters calling him this? Dude can recruit, coach 'em up and win. Who wouldn't want that? :shrug:
Auburn and LSU are pretty big fan bases.

He catches a lot of flack for the perceived recruiting practices....I'm sure that's part of it as well. When you're on top everyone's trying to knock you down.

He catches a lot of flack for the perceived recruiting practices....I'm sure that's part of it as well. When you're on top everyone's trying to knock you down.
I get that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but nobody's even leveled anything scandalous at him, have they? It's not like Finebaum's show airs up here in Yankee-land.

I get that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but nobody's even leveled anything scandalous at him, have they? It's not like Finebaum's show airs up here in Yankee-land.
Not sure what you mean here but Finebaum would be the last place to go to find out negative things about Alabama (best I can tell). There's a lot of national controversy of recruiting that he catches heat for. I don't think any of what he does is illegal...that wasn't the point of my comment. My comment was trying to explain why Saban has a disconnect with others on "who he is". Reality is, none of the haters KNOW him....they just pass judgment based on his actions and his winning and it's tough to step back and do a self evaluation of your own actions in a competitive job like his.

Saban gets incorrectly slammed for leaving LSU to go to the NFL and then back to the SEC after 2 years.

Reality is, when at Miami, he wanted Drew Brees; but the doctors shot him down....he got Culpepper instead and then took the best job available in college.

Dude knows what he's doing

Wait, Auburn is starting a juco transfer at QB this year?

I think I've read this script before. Totally on the Nick Marshall bandwagon.

The USA Today countdown has Georgia at #6. At the bottom of the article:

Who is No. 5? This team once went 0-11, scoring only 12 total points in the entire month of September (four games).

I know this one. South Carolina was coming off a horrifying 1-10 season and Lou Holtz was the new coach. We opened up at NC State in a Tropical Storm and lost 0-10

Went to Georgia and lost 9-24, came home and lost to East Carolina 3-21 then went to Mississipi State and lost 0-17.

That was some ugly football.

@LopezOnSports: The NCAA will announce its recommendation on Manziel play or no-play on Wednesday, according to an A&M source.

@LopezOnSports: The NCAA will announce its recommendation on Manziel play or no-play on Wednesday, according to an A&M source.
Maybe a slap on the wrist. The NCAA is afraid of the SEC. They will punish some FCS school instead.

Maybe a slap on the wrist. The NCAA is afraid of the SEC. They will punish some FCS school instead.
No idea if that's true, but I'd imagine there's only one school in the SEC that would prefer to see Manziel take the field this year.

Attendance and ratings will be fine without Manziel. A&M last won the mediocre B12 15 years ago. Surely, nobody involved with the SEC wants to see them take down the mighty SEC in their 2nd season in it.

No idea if that's true, but I'd imagine there's only one school in the SEC that would prefer to see Manziel take the field this year.

Attendance and ratings will be fine without Manziel. A&M last won the mediocre B12 15 years ago. Surely, nobody involved with the SEC wants to see them take down the mighty SEC in their 2nd season in it.
Bama wants revenge WITH Manziel playing. It's an easy road to LSU if he doesn't.

Per tusconcitizen.com: Coach Rich Rodriguez has mentioned that All-American running back Ka’Deem Carey could face playing-time punishment for a couple of offseason incidents, but he’s not likely to discuss it publicly before the NAU game.

:popcorn:

Monroe, LA OT Cam Robinson....the #1 overall player on 247 and #1 overall on their Composite....will announce on Friday between LSU and Alabama.

The LA natives seem a little restless.

Monroe, LA OT Cam Robinson....the #1 overall player on 247 and #1 overall on their Composite....will announce on Friday between LSU and Alabama.

The LA natives seem a little restless.
Yes we are. LSU has the potential for a monster draft class next year, and of all of our 5*s, this guy has been the hardest to read. Bama just got a commitment from a WR that is good friends with Robinson, so everyone here is concerned that it might have influenced CR.

I'm only a little concerned. I think that if he was going to commit to Bama, he would wait until later. We will see. I think that this is going to be the first step in landing the #1 class next year, that will include Fournette, and Dupre.

Users who are viewing this thread