What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** 2015 Denver Broncos (1 Viewer)

Congrats, Broncos Nation. It was painful watching my Panthers lose, but I'm happy for Peyton on getting another ring. Enjoy the victory. We'll get ya next time. :boxing:

Broncos played the #1, #3, and #4 offenses in the post season. They held them to 10, 18, and 16 points, respectively. over these 3 games, they recorded 14 sacks and only allowed 7 3rd down conversions.

what a season. and what an appropriate Super Bowl in which they just grinded and the D carried them to another win just like so many other games this year.

the national media slept on Denver's D despite Denver playing how many prime time games. and the narrative going into the Super Bowl was exactly the same as it was going into the AFCCG when they apparently had no chance. people didn't catch on to that d for whatever reason. but just like the regular season, it carried Denver to a W.

how many games did Denver win this year without scoring an offensive TD? And it almost happened again yesterday.

this was a unuique season for a bunch of different reason, but it really started feeling like it could be special early on

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on a great season and another SB win. I tip my hat to the job that Elway has done. Talib? Not so much.

Broncos played the #1, #3, and #4 offenses in the post season. They held them to 10, 18, and 16 points, respectively. over these 3 games, they recorded 14 sacks and only allowed 7 3rd down conversions.
Amazing.

That was probably the 2nd most satisfying Broncos victory ever (just behind SB32, which can never be topped). :pickle:

in the playoffs, the Broncos D allowed just one passing TD - from Rothlesburger, Brady, and CamVP combined.

They also allowed just 1 rushing TD per game - none from further out than 1 yard.

The lack of respect was surprising. But we went in and punched the world in the mouth and took respect. I dont see why we cant repeat next season if that defense remains intact. Lots of outsiders making excuses for why the Panthers lost but that tends to happen after an assault. Very pleased with the outcome and the future trajectory of this franchise.

in the playoffs, the Broncos D allowed just one passing TD - from Rothlesburger, Brady, and CamVP combined.

They also allowed just 1 rushing TD per game - none from further out than 1 yard.
they were so good all season, but it seemed like they (and Miller specifically) really ratcheted it up in the postseason--especially the AFCCG and Super Bowl.

Denver's O in Super Bowl 50 produced 194 TOTAL yards, was 1/14 on 3rd down conversions, turned the ball over twice, and scored its only TD after the D recovered a fumble right around the Carolina 5--and still won. The D was ultimately responsible for the 2 TDs--both coming off Miller strip sacks. a shout out to Jordan Norwood's "Oh no! I mean Oh Yes!" punt return as well as that directly resulted in another FG for Denver.

As for Miller's performance in the AFCCG and Super Bowl:

• 2 games
  • 11 tackles
  • 5 sacks
  • 2 Forced Fumbles*
  • 1 INT*
  • 2 Tackles For Loss
  • 2 Passes Defended
  • 6 QB hits
*Von's 2 FF and 1 INT all led to a Denver TD--meaning Von's forced turnovers resulted in 3 out of Denver's 4 TDs in the AFCG and Super Bowl.

Just an incredible display by the defense down the final stretch. Prior to the ne game, the story was Denver's pass rush was going to be completely mitigated by Brady getting the ball out quickly. They hit Brady more in 1 game than any other QB had been hit in a game in 10 years. Then they turned around to face an MVP QB who the media said the likes of which Denver hadn't seen all year--and many said they had no chance of stopping. The D came out and dictated the game, tying a Super Bowl record for the most sacks in a Super Bowl en route to a dominating performance and win.

This was one of the best defenses to play in the NFL and I think a lot of Denver fans recognized that as they were beating teams basically single handedly throughout the regular season. And then they turned it up against three of the league's best offenses in the post season. Bravo.

Wade Phillips was a fantastic hire and Elway has put together a devastating mix of pass rushers, defensive backs, and stout run defenders. It was a fun year and a really fun defense.

Was listening to Cecil Lammey on the fan the other day (and today) and he and Chad Brown have both kind of swung me toward the idea that Denver would be better off letting Malik walk given the huge money he'll command and instead focusing on locking down Trevathan. Trevathan is so important to the defense given his ability as a 3 down LB. He's great against the run, has elite speed and pursuit and is among the best LB's in the league in coverage. I think that skillset is more unique and thus more valuable than what Malik brings to the table, particularly because it will come at a fraction of the cost.  

That said, I think Lammey has lost his mind as he also suggested that Denver should part ways with Talib. That, IMHO, is perhaps the worst idea I've heard in a long time. The whole of his reasoning was that it would allow Roby to shine as a starter opposite Harris (even though Roby already shines pretty damn bright as the best nickel back in football). Apparently he doesn't realize that having a guy like Roby as your nickel back is a luxury most teams could only dream of and one of the reasons Denver's defense has been so successful. With not 1, not 2, but 3 CB's that you can confidently line up man on man against the other team's top 3 receiving options, the whole defensive playbook opens up and allows a defensive genius like Wade to construct unique and aggressive schemes that would otherwise be inconceivable.

thatguy said:
Was listening to Cecil Lammey on the fan the other day (and today) and he and Chad Brown have both kind of swung me toward the idea that Denver would be better off letting Malik walk given the huge money he'll command and instead focusing on locking down Trevathan. Trevathan is so important to the defense given his ability as a 3 down LB. He's great against the run, has elite speed and pursuit and is among the best LB's in the league in coverage. I think that skillset is more unique and thus more valuable than what Malik brings to the table, particularly because it will come at a fraction of the cost.  

That said, I think Lammey has lost his mind as he also suggested that Denver should part ways with Talib. That, IMHO, is perhaps the worst idea I've heard in a long time. The whole of his reasoning was that it would allow Roby to shine as a starter opposite Harris (even though Roby already shines pretty damn bright as the best nickel back in football). Apparently he doesn't realize that having a guy like Roby as your nickel back is a luxury most teams could only dream of and one of the reasons Denver's defense has been so successful. With not 1, not 2, but 3 CB's that you can confidently line up man on man against the other team's top 3 receiving options, the whole defensive playbook opens up and allows a defensive genius like Wade to construct unique and aggressive schemes that would otherwise be inconceivable.
While I agree regarding the cornerbacks, if they found themselves in a situation where they had to keep one of those corners or a pass rusher, you keep the pass rusher, IMO.  But yeah, having three corners that good is a big part of why that D was so great this past season.  Even the best pass rushes are gonna have games, possessions, downs, etc. where they don't get pressure, and having a secondary that good that can cover makes a big difference in those instances.  As an offense going against them, it has to be frustrating knowing that even if you block well and give your QB time to throw, it is still hard for anyone to get open. 

While I agree regarding the cornerbacks, if they found themselves in a situation where they had to keep one of those corners or a pass rusher, you keep the pass rusher, IMO.  But yeah, having three corners that good is a big part of why that D was so great this past season.  Even the best pass rushes are gonna have games, possessions, downs, etc. where they don't get pressure, and having a secondary that good that can cover makes a big difference in those instances.  As an offense going against them, it has to be frustrating knowing that even if you block well and give your QB time to throw, it is still hard for anyone to get open. 
look at the GB game - Rodgers had plenty of time to run around and make throws, but he had no one open.

I think Malik is gone.  I don't think he's a transcendent talent, but he wants to be paid like one, and someone will do it.  I think Malik is a good player that looked great playing along side Wolfe, Miller, and Ware.  Let the man go get his money.  We'll take the comp pick in 2017, and it will continue to show free agents looking to resurrect their career that coming to Denver and having a great season will get them paid the big bucks.

The Broncos have been successful plugging guys into that DT role.  It was Pot Roast last couple of years and Vickerson/Bunkley were serviceable before him.  MLB has been tougher to find pieces.  Marshall/Trevathan, while not the best in the league, have been more than adequate and this is the best MLB set we've had probably since Al Wilson retired.

look at the GB game - Rodgers had plenty of time to run around and make throws, but he had no one open.

I think Malik is gone.  I don't think he's a transcendent talent, but he wants to be paid like one, and someone will do it.  I think Malik is a good player that looked great playing along side Wolfe, Miller, and Ware.  Let the man go get his money.  We'll take the comp pick in 2017, and it will continue to show free agents looking to resurrect their career that coming to Denver and having a great season will get them paid the big bucks.

The Broncos have been successful plugging guys into that DT role.  It was Pot Roast last couple of years and Vickerson/Bunkley were serviceable before him.  MLB has been tougher to find pieces.  Marshall/Trevathan, while not the best in the league, have been more than adequate and this is the best MLB set we've had probably since Al Wilson retired.
Re: Malik. I feel the same way. I stated as much in AD's mock draft thread. I'm coming around to Denver going to DL with their first pick when I previously couldn't imagine them going any direction but OL. This is a pretty weak draft for OL and a very deep class for everything defense. I think one of the Alabama DT's would be a nice replacement for Malik at a fraction of the cost and with (probably) more upside (albeit considerably more downside, too). One thing Shanny showed was that you can find OL who fit the zone blocking scheme in the later rounds and I think Elway/Kubiak will rebuild the OLine in that manner.

Re: Trevathan I don't think his importance to the defense can be understated. His pursuit led to two fumble recoveries in the Super Bowl alone. He can do everything very well, and excels in pass coverage. I think his price will be in the area of 5 years $30-35 million, something I think Denver can live with considering Malik will likely be in the 5 year $55-60 million range.

Get Ware and possibly Clady to restructure (unless it is obvious to them that Clady is done, in which case he'll be released), tender Marshall and C.J., let Ronnie walk, sign Brock regardless of cost (you can't go into a season trying to defend the Super Bowl with no clear answer at QB), franchise Von if they can't come to terms prior to the start of FA and get a deal done later (let's just hope it doesn't devolve into another DT situation). Not sure what will happen with Vasquez, as he is not a great fit for the ZBS and has battled injuries the previous two years. No matter how you slice it, he is no longer the All Pro OG he was 3 seasons ago and is not even close to playing at a high enough level to justify his current salary. So, I would think they get him to restructure or let him walk. Would be nice to get Mathis for another year, but I don't think that will happen. He got his ring, I think he'll go wherever he can get the most money considering it's likely to be his last rodeo--can't blame him for maximizing his future wealth. He was always considered nothing more than a one year rental anyway and has no reason to give Denver a hometown discount. The one guy I really wish they could keep who I don't think they'll be able to is Bruton, unless he gives them a hometown discount and is okay with staying an important role player who is just not quite good enough to crack the starting lineup. Bruton deserves to be paid and he deserves to finally earn a starting role, so I just don't see Denver being able to keep him.

Any other thoughts, hopes, expectations from my fellow Broncos fans? One thing is for certain:  this is going to be, by far, the most difficult off-season for Elway since he took the reigns. But, in Elway I trust.

On a side note, between last season and this off-season, it's amazing the talent that Denver has developed through the draft, especially in the latter rounds. The amount of talent we have had to let walk is insane. Look at any list of the top FA's from last year and this year, and you'll see Denver players at or near the top of nearly every position (last season, Demaryius at WR, JT at TE, Franklin at OG, even Irvin and Moore were near the top of the respective lists for LB and S, this season, Von at LB, Malik at DT, Trevathan at LB, Brock at QB, Bruton at S, etc.). Of course one guy you're not likely to see anywhere the top of any lists is Hillman--Ronnie ####### Hillman, good ####### riddance!

Yep, Elway has done a phenomenal job at accumulating talent, and I have faith that he will replenish once they lose a few guys to free agency, which is inevitable.  

Agreed that keeping Osweiler is key.  He is still a work in progress - he needs to learn to get rid of the ball quicker when the play looks dead in the water, although taking a sack is better than hurrying a pass and throwing a pick - but Kubiak is great with QBs and can help him get better. 

Yep, Elway has done a phenomenal job at accumulating talent, and I have faith that he will replenish once they lose a few guys to free agency, which is inevitable.  

Agreed that keeping Osweiler is key.  He is still a work in progress - he needs to learn to get rid of the ball quicker when the play looks dead in the water, although taking a sack is better than hurrying a pass and throwing a pick - but Kubiak is great with QBs and can help him get better. 
I could not agree more with this statement. In the San Diego game, when Brock was yanked and Peyton came in, the one thing that stood out immediately was just how much quicker Peyton gets rid of the ball, and on the flipside, just how long Brock holds onto the ball. The difference was like night and day. If he can remedy that, which will likely come with more game experience and learning to read the defenses and go through his progressions quicker, he could be pretty special. But even if he's not special, he's at least a relatively known commodity and by all accounts has earned the respect and trust of his teammates, and that is all that matters. They might end up overpaying a bit, but it has to be done.

Agreed.  That is something that can come with time. Flacco, for instance, has gotten a lot better over the years about knowing that you don't have to win every play; sometimes you just to chuck it for an incompletion and live to fight another down.  But like I said, the fact that he is a young guy and isn't prone to throwing picks is a good sign. A lot of young QBs panic in those situations, and that is when INTs happen. 

The year before Elway came back to the Broncos, here was your starting line-up on defense:DE Kevin VickersonNT Jamal WilliamsRDE Justin Bannan
lolup.gif
B Jason HunterLILB D.J. WilliamsRILB Mario HagganROLB Robert AyersLCB Champ BaileyRCB Perrish CoxRCB Andre' GoodmanSS Brian DawkinsFS Renaldo Hill

Oh, and FU McDaniels!!

The year before Elway came back to the Broncos, here was your starting line-up on defense:DE Kevin VickersonNT Jamal WilliamsRDE Justin Bannan
lolup.gif
B Jason HunterLILB D.J. WilliamsRILB Mario HagganROLB Robert AyersLCB Champ BaileyRCB Perrish CoxRCB Andre' GoodmanSS Brian DawkinsFS Renaldo Hill

Oh, and FU McDaniels!!
Average age: 29.8. This defense was ranked 32nd in points, 32nd in yards. 

Elway completely re-tooled the defense. Within 2 years, this D was top 5. Within 5 years, a historically great defense - best in the league, good enough to win the superbowl on it's own.

Owen Daniels and Vernon Davis are gone. The FA and draft prospects at TE are pretty thin. Am I wrong in thinking that this means an opportunity for Virgil Green? Or is there someone on the roster now that might surprise? If given a decent shot does Green have the talent to make something of it? 

Users who are viewing this thread