What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2015 MLB Awards Thread (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
Nov. 9, 2015

Players Choice Awards, MLB Network, 8 p.m. ET

Nov. 10, 2015

BBWAA finalists announced, MLB Network, 6 p.m. ET

Rawlings Gold Gloves, ESPN, 7 p.m. ET

Nov. 11, 2016

Wilson Defensive Player of the Year Awards, MLB Network, 6 p.m. ET

Nov. 12, 2015

Louisville Silver Slugger Awards, MLB Network, 6 p.m. ET

Nov. 16, 2015

BBWAA Rookies of the Year, MLB Network, 6 p.m. ET

Nov. 17, 2015

BBWAA Managers of the Year, MLB Network, 6 p.m. ET

Nov. 18, 2015

BBWAA AL and NL Cy Awards, MLB Network, 6 p.m. ET

Nov. 19, 2015

BBWAA AL and NL MVPs, MLB Network, 6 p.m. ET

Nov. 20, 2015

Esurance MLB Awards, MLB Network, 8 p.m. ET
The Esurance awards appear to be baseball's version of the MTV Movie Awards

This year's winners:

CATCHER

AL: Salvador Perez, Royals
NL: Yadier Molina, Cardinals

FIRST BASE

AL: Eric Hosmer, Royals
NL: Paul Goldschmidt, Diamondbacks

SECOND BASE

AL: Jose Altuve, Astros
NL: Dee Gordon, Marlins

SHORTSTOP

AL: Alcides Escobar, Royals
NL: Brandon Crawford, Giants

THIRD BASE

AL: Manny Machado, Orioles
NL: Nolan Arenado, Rockies

LEFT FIELD

AL: Yoenis Cespedes, Tigers/Mets
NL: Starling Marte, Pirates

CENTER FIELD

AL: Kevin Kiermaier, Rays
NL: A.J. Pollock, Diamondbacks

RIGHT FIELD

AL: Kole Calhoun, Angels
NL: Jason Heyward, Cardinals

PITCHER

AL: Dallas Keuchel, Astros
NL: Zack Greinke, Dodgers

I'm blown away that Cepedes is Gold Glove caliber in LF and just brutal in CF. He was a straight-up liability out there in the Series.

AL CF is really deep right now. Cain and Pillar are both GG-worthy, but Kiermaier is probably be the best defensive player at any position right now.

Yeah, I was a little surprised about Andrelton Simmons, too. Does Crawford make more highlight reels or something visceral like that? I mean, beyond how all our lives changed that day he walked into My-T-Sharp and said, "Give me the Luis Polonia".

Love seeing Yadi and Perez win, of course. Curious to see if Perez keeps winning GGs after every team figures out you can run on him.

If the only times you saw Hosmer play was during the postseason, you might be wondering how in the hell he won a Gold Glove. He was a defensive asset all season, and it was like watching a prank video seeing him misplay grounders in the playoffs. He's got great range running down balls in foul territory, and saves a lot of bad throws.

Sign Heyward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm blown away that Cepedes is Gold Glove caliber in LF and just brutal in CF. He was a straight-up liability out there in the Series.

AL CF is really deep right now. Cain and Pillar are both GG-worthy, but Kiermaier is probably be the best defensive player at any position right now.
Should go back to 3 outfielders, who cares who the best fielding LF is, he's still not near capable of playing CF. Should be Kiermaier/Pillar/Cain IMO.

Rookie of the Year (Nov. 16)

NL Finalists:

Kris Bryant, Cubs

Matt Duffy, Giants

Jung Ho Kang, Pirates

AL Finalists:

Carlos Correa, Astros

Francisco Lindor, Twins

Miguel Sano, Twins

Manager of the Year (Nov. 17)

NL Finalists:

Terry Collins, Mets

Joe Maddon, Cubs

Mike Matheny, Cardinals

AL Finalists:

Jeff Banister, Rangers

A.J. Hinch, Astros

Paul Molitor, Twins

Cy Young (Nov. 18)

NL Finalists:

Jake Arrieta, Cubs

Zack Greinke, Dodgers

Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers

AL Finalists:

Sonny Gray, Athletics

Dallas Keuchel, Astros

David Price, Tigers/Blue Jays

MVP (Nov. 19)

NL Finalists:

Paul Goldschmidt, Diamondbacks

Bryce Harper, Nationals

Joey Votto, Reds

AL Finalists:

Lorenzo Cain, Royals

Josh Donaldson, Blue Jays

Mike Trout, Angels

If I had a ballot:

ROY: Bryant, Correa

Manager: Maddon, Hinch

Cy Young: Arrieta, Keuchel

MVP: Harper, Donaldson

What's the case for Hinch over Bannister?

Bannister's team (Rangers) won the AL West, besting Hinch's team (Astros)

The Rangers improved by 21 games over last year.

The Astros improved by 16 games.

oso diablo said:
What's the case for Hinch over Bannister?

Bannister's team (Rangers) won the AL West, besting Hinch's team (Astros)

The Rangers improved by 21 games over last year.

The Astros improved by 16 games.
Don't forget that they did it without their number one starter for the whole year and their number two starter for most of the year.

Bruce Dickinson said:

Yeah, I was a little surprised about Andrelton Simmons, too. Does Crawford make more highlight reels or something visceral like that? I mean, beyond how all our lives changed that day he walked into My-T-Sharp and said, "Give me the Luis Polonia".

Love seeing Yadi and Perez win, of course. Curious to see if Perez keeps winning GGs after every team figures out you can run on him.

If the only times you saw Hosmer play was during the postseason, you might be wondering how in the hell he won a Gold Glove. He was a defensive asset all season, and it was like watching a prank video seeing him misplay grounders in the playoffs. He's got great range running down balls in foul territory, and saves a lot of bad throws.

Sign Heyward.
Crawford is great, but I think Simmons is more sure-handed (8 errors this year!) as well as more spectacular.

The Gold Gloves selection criteria now includes a statistical component (SABR defensive index) but is still largely a beauty contest. The Braves' down season and Crawford's career year offensively aren't supposed to be considerations but there's no getting inside the heads of the voters. While you can make the case that some non-winners might be more deserving, I don't see any howlers like some GGs awarded in the past.

I had no idea at all there was also a platinum glove given to the best fielder. KK won it tonight.

I've never seen this Keirmaier fellow play, but he must be an incredible OF if he can beat out Pillar with zero complaints. Pillar is a fantastic defensive player, and it's too bad two inferior OFers get the award. He started the year in left and he was awesome there too.

I've never seen this Keirmaier fellow play, but he must be an incredible OF if he can beat out Pillar with zero complaints. Pillar is a fantastic defensive player, and it's too bad two inferior OFers get the award. He started the year in left and he was awesome there too.
UZR overrates Kiermaier in relation to Pillar but there's no problem giving it one over the other. Pillar won some Wilson inside edge based award for defensive centre fielder - of course Kiermaier won fielding bible and gold glove.Rob Neyer went into great detail here on the two of them, bottom line both very deserving.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/baseball-joe/blog/the-case-for-kevin-pillar-111215

Last edited by a moderator:
Bruce Dickinson said:
If I gave a #### at all, I would be perplexed by Kendrys Morales winning a silver slugger over Edwin Encarnacion.
The only thing I can think of is Encarnacion was ineligible as a DH because he played so many games at 1B. Their full-season production as hitters isn't even close.
It is an odd choice, because David Ortiz had a better year, by every measurable category, than Morales too.

Good for Banister. I will fully admit I was a Wash guy and wasn't crazy about Banister's style early on, but the guy did a tremendous job considering all of the injuries this year, not to mention a much improved Houston squad that you can't pad the win column with anymore.

Evan Drellich ‏@EvanDrellich · 5 minutes ago

Astros scout who drafted Dallas Keuchel was Jim Stevenson

Brewers scout who drafted 2005 unsigned 26th rd’er Jake Arrieta was Jim Stevenson

Users who are viewing this thread