What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2019 CINCY BENGALS THREAD - We are in the sunken place (1 Viewer)

Sheesh, dude threw for 300+ with a TD and no INTs and 2 days later gets benched on his birthday. Happy birthday Red Rifle indeed.

Sheesh, dude threw for 300+ with a TD and no INTs and 2 days later gets benched on his birthday. Happy birthday Red Rifle indeed.
There's really no reason to announce he's getting benched after the bye week other than to signal to every team in the league that he's available.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Glurge of thoughts on a rare news-worthy Bengals fan.

At 0-8 the Finley move is logical - not that Andy should shoulder the blame (and Taylor emphasized it wasn't about that) but with two rookie quarterbacks on the roster and the fact that they are in line to be able to draft a franchise QB in the upcoming draft it's time to give these two the opportunity to show what they can do.  Basically Finley has a chance to play them out of that spot for a top QB - which will be an uphill climb.  If Finley falters (and possibly even if he doesn't) there's probably a decent chance that Dolegala may get his turn as well - maybe in the last couple of games.  They kept him on the roster (as opposed to trying to sneak him onto the practice squad) for a reason - he really could be another Romo-type that comes out of the undrafted ranks to do something (some good reads out there about him).  It sucks that it happened on Andy's birthday - but it would have sucked to just send Finley out with the ones at practice tomorrow without saying anything - just awful timing.  I'm sure they would have done it yesterday but the NFL doesn't like that sort of news breaking on Mondays I think.  Dalton is a class act through and through and I hope he lands somewhere that's a good opportunity for him.  I've joked about it but if Brady leaves New England he does have certain traits (super quick release being one) that could appeal to Darth Belichick (and we know he loves ex-Bengals).

Perhaps the news was dropped to see if some team bit with any outrageous offer but the bottom line Dalton's contract is such that it is incredibly tradeable and if some reason that doesn't work out they can cut him with $0 in dead cap money.

Was a little surprised Cordy Glenn wasn't moved - but perhaps the pure fiasco of his conflict over his concussion situation served to scare teams off or convince them the Bengals will just cut him - which they very well might.  That said if Glenn is willing and able to play he'd be an upgrade over John Jerry (maybe not much of one but an upgrade nonetheless and a young QB can use any help he can get on that line).

AJ Green not getting traded wasn't a surprise at the end of the day.  Just look at Marvin Lewis if you want to know how loyal this ownership can be to certain people and the fact of the matter is AJ's idol is Larry Fitzgerald and he has stated how he'd like to stick it out with one team the way Fitzgerald has for so many years with the Cardinals even through thick and mostly thin.  He doesn't want to go.  Unless the Bengals low-ball him stupidly like they did with Whitworth I think he'll be back and signed.  In his case I am totally fine with that.  They need to add a ring of honor if for the fact of him alone.  Heart and soul.

I have a feeling with Eifert they didn't want to take just anything and again with a young quarterback (and definitely having a young QB starting next year vitrtually anyway you slice it) having a safety blanket like Eifert is absolutely worth it.  And it wouldn't entirely surprise me if Eifert, like Green, shows some loyalty as the team has stuck with him through all the injuries.  I can imagine that he might not be gone even after this year - if they can get him on decent terms they can just as soon plug other holes in the draft - they sure have enough.

As far any other players - there weren't all that many hot rumors even and when you consider how little happen Monday may have been by and large an exercise in blowing smoke.  Certainly nothing new there.

But seeing Finley out there will be something different an interesting that's for sure.

Who Dey

-QG

They might want to make a move back to Dalton and actually develop the youth they have at other positions besides QB. 

With that high of a pick the Bengals are probably taking a QB, and Finley does not look like the guy from what we have seen in games. 

They might want to make a move back to Dalton and actually develop the youth they have at other positions besides QB. 

With that high of a pick the Bengals are probably taking a QB, and Finley does not look like the guy from what we have seen in games. 
I wish Finley would show some promise.  Chase Young will dominate for years.  Would be great to be able to pick him.  Looks like Burrow is most likely pick.  

I wish Finley would show some promise.  Chase Young will dominate for years.  Would be great to be able to pick him.  Looks like Burrow is most likely pick.  
I think I would take Young and then see what falls to the 2 01 at QB.  It seems to be a deep QB class.  If that doesn't work out, you can probably get one of the studs in 2021.  Might have all 3 of Tua, Trevor, and Fields available in 2021. 

Unfortunately with this ownership it feels like infinite rebuild. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I would take Young and then see what falls to the 2 01 at QB.  It seems to be a deep QB class.  If that doesn't work out, you can probably get one of the studs in 2021.  Might have all 3 of Tua, Trevor, and Fields available in 2021. 

Unfortunately with this ownership it feels like infinite rebuild. 
Not the worst idea ever

Nothing is decided yet with 2 brutal teams left, but it's looking good for Burrow.  

The Dalton contract was always well-structured and the Bengals could benefit from that this offseason.  They would save 17.7M under the cap if they release him and it's possible they could still trade him for a day3 pick.  Most likely, he will get released if the Bengals land Burrow.

As if they didn't already have unlimited money to try to sign AJ Green, Dalton off the books would make that even more true.  Besides Burrow, they could also be adding a healthy Jonah Williams.  So you'd be going into next season with a possibility of Burrow throwing to Green, Boyd, Ross, ATate, Mixon, Eifert? and then adding Jonah to the OLine. 

That still leaves defense and multiple OLine positions, but the entire rest of the draft and FA (lol) to fill some of that.  Pratt may have been a hit in last year's draft, but in either case the LB group is disgusting.  That needs addressed with at least 1 starter somehow.  The defensive line looks promising for at least another year.  You have a good mix of productive vets hanging on somewhat to prior form rotating with young guys who look good.

At the end of the day, I expect 1 starting FA OL and 1 FA LB to be added to be at least stopgap starters and then a bunch of picks rds 2-7 in those areas.  I think next year's team will probably look at lot like the teams who had the last 2 #1 QBs (cardinals and browns).  An offense that will look dangerous and exciting and a team that will flash being relevant, but not really a true contender.  A lot hinges on what we get from Green or if he's even here.  I do have hope that Burrow is even better than Baker/Kyler and he can elevate the offense to where we can hide deficiencies by teams being afraid to blitz and/or the defense getting to play from ahead and be a passable defense in the same way the Chiefs defense is.    

Nothing is decided yet with 2 brutal teams left, but it's looking good for Burrow.  

The Dalton contract was always well-structured and the Bengals could benefit from that this offseason.  They would save 17.7M under the cap if they release him and it's possible they could still trade him for a day3 pick.  Most likely, he will get released if the Bengals land Burrow.

As if they didn't already have unlimited money to try to sign AJ Green, Dalton off the books would make that even more true.  Besides Burrow, they could also be adding a healthy Jonah Williams.  So you'd be going into next season with a possibility of Burrow throwing to Green, Boyd, Ross, ATate, Mixon, Eifert? and then adding Jonah to the OLine. 

That still leaves defense and multiple OLine positions, but the entire rest of the draft and FA (lol) to fill some of that.  Pratt may have been a hit in last year's draft, but in either case the LB group is disgusting.  That needs addressed with at least 1 starter somehow.  The defensive line looks promising for at least another year.  You have a good mix of productive vets hanging on somewhat to prior form rotating with young guys who look good.

At the end of the day, I expect 1 starting FA OL and 1 FA LB to be added to be at least stopgap starters and then a bunch of picks rds 2-7 in those areas.  I think next year's team will probably look at lot like the teams who had the last 2 #1 QBs (cardinals and browns).  An offense that will look dangerous and exciting and a team that will flash being relevant, but not really a true contender.  A lot hinges on what we get from Green or if he's even here.  I do have hope that Burrow is even better than Baker/Kyler and he can elevate the offense to where we can hide deficiencies by teams being afraid to blitz and/or the defense getting to play from ahead and be a passable defense in the same way the Chiefs defense is.    
You went into the season without AJ Green and without your first round pick.  Like tying your hands behind your back heading into the year.

It is looking like the Bengals get the top pick and will get a boost at the QB position plus OT Jonah Williams plus AJ Green and don't forget WR John Ross III was out for most of the season and he looked really good the first two games when he was healthy.  Mixon is one of the best RBs in the league.  The offense could be incredible and the D-Line and secondary are solid.

Bengals could be a big surprise team next year. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread