What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2019 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread*** Hope Springs Eternal? (2 Viewers)

Josh Bell ---> Nats 

Eddy Yean & Wil Crowe ---> Pirates

Sounds like Crowe is just ok but this Yean kid sounds like he has some real upside.
He'll develop serious arm injury, languish in the minors or if by some miracle he makes it to the bigs and does well he will be traded to another team as he enters his prime.

This ownership isn't even attempting to hide the fact that they have zero interest in fielding a competitive team.  It's all about the Benjamins.

This ownership isn't even attempting to hide the fact that they have zero interest in fielding a competitive team.  It's all about the Benjamins.
Well the line now is they are in a rebuilding phase which obviously is needed since they've completely blown up the team.  I could even buy it considering all of the front office and managerial changes but the problem is we have seen this cycle many times over the last 30 years.   

Even if they somehow manage to put together a contender years from now the window will be open for a very short time before they blow it up and start all over.

It sucks to be a Pirates fan

Taillon traded to Yankees. Didn’t realize he was already 29. Some intriguing arms in return.

Looks like they are actually doing a pretty good job rebuilding farm system. 

Still a ways to go.

Who is the top prospect next year?  The Bucs have all but guaranteed that they will finish last place this year.  Hopefully there is a generational talent and the Bucs can sign him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is the top prospect next year?  The Bucs have all but guaranteed that they will finish last place this year.  Hopefully there is a generational talent and the Bucs can sign him.
Finish in last place?  If they play a 162 game schedule they might not win 50 games

Musgrove and Tallion returns were solid, in my opinion. Got some nice arms in return and Hudson Head and Canaan Smith could be solid. 

Musgrove and Tallion returns were solid, in my opinion. Got some nice arms in return and Hudson Head and Canaan Smith could be solid. 
If it ensures that they're the worst team in baseball for like the next 3-4 years, I'm good with it.  :shrug:  

If it ensures that they're the worst team in baseball for like the next 3-4 years, I'm good with it.  :shrug:  
I think that’s the only way they will build a contender. The big issue with ownership is investing in international classes and draft picks. If they decide they will only draft players who will sign below slot it will never get better. They need to spend their money the next 3 years in the amateur ranks. (A relevant example is Padres and Hudson Head, they took him in the third round and gave him 3 million to sign I believe).

Astros had just as bad a team years ago, and they built the team through draft. 

I think that’s the only way they will build a contender. The big issue with ownership is investing in international classes and draft picks. If they decide they will only draft players who will sign below slot it will never get better. They need to spend their money the next 3 years in the amateur ranks. (A relevant example is Padres and Hudson Head, they took him in the third round and gave him 3 million to sign I believe).

Astros had just as bad a team years ago, and they built the team through draft. 
At first I was upset that they were purging the entire team.  But now that I think about it rationally, it's definitely the right approach.  Pirates fans have suffered enough.  If this is the only way to eventually field a contender, so be it.

Highest salaries in baseball for 2021:
1. Bauer $40m
2. Trout $37.1m
3. deGrom/Cole $36m
5. Strasburg/Greinke/Arenado $35m
8. Scherzer $34.5
9. Verlander $33m
10. Price/Machado $32m
12. Kershaw $31m
13. The Pittsburgh #Pirates $30m

pretty messed up that 12 players have higher salary in 2021 than entire team.

it’s hard to believe that MLB and the players union are okay with this 

This team is going to stink monkey balls this year but Hayes could be the next star.  From what we've seen last season and through spring training, this guy looks like such a disciplined hitter. Only bright spot in an otherwise mockery of a team.  Go Buccos!!!

This team is going to stink monkey balls this year but Hayes could be the next star.  From what we've seen last season and through spring training, this guy looks like such a disciplined hitter. Only bright spot in an otherwise mockery of a team.  Go Buccos!!!
I was at the game today. A four hour nine inning game in 30 degree weather was an interesting experience. My feet are still numb from the cold.

Hayes jacked that Hendricks pitch over 400 feet into a strong, heavy cold wind. Under normal circumstances that ball is bouncing on Waveland Avenue. He looks the real deal.

Frazier had a torrid spring, and he continued on today. He was squaring everything up. 

When do we sell him for AA prospects that never pan out? Next Summer?

Meanwhile Glasnow, Cole and Musgrove all pitching like Cy Young candidates in the early going.  It must be a dream for talented pitchers to leave Pittsburgh.  

1-161 is a real possibility 
No that’s not possible but I think there is a real possibility that they don’t surpass 40 wins (which would make them one of the worst teams in the modern era).  Without Hayes, they don’t have a single decent player on the roster.  

No that’s not possible but I think there is a real possibility that they don’t surpass 40 wins (which would make them one of the worst teams in the modern era).  Without Hayes, they don’t have a single decent player on the roster.  
I have faith, they can do it!!! 

Just kidding but they are really bad.  They will give the 1952 Pirates (.273 winning percentage) a run for their money I bet.

fred_1_15301 said:
Meanwhile Glasnow, Cole and Musgrove all pitching like Cy Young candidates in the early going.  It must be a dream for talented pitchers to leave Pittsburgh.  
Musgrove with a no hitter going tonight.  You just can’t make this #### up.   :lol:  

Joe Musgrove just pitched a no hitter lol.  Honestly I always knew he had the talent to be an ace but was hindered by this inept organization.  Good for him.  He will most likely become the best pitcher in baseball this season (next to Cole of course).  #### this team.  

Through 3 weeks, this team actually isn’t a complete embarrassment.  Shocked at their resiliency so far (though I know it won’t last).

Long way to go in this season but I like what I'm seeing right now.  This team already has the worst run differential in baseball.  The only team that I legitimately think has a shot to take away our first overall pick is Baltimore.  But I think that's a stretch.  They have a fair bit more talent than we do.  

The Archer trade set this team back 5 years.  That winning streak was the worst thing that could have happened that season.  May not have mattered, because the Pirates probably would not have spent money to put the young talent over the top in the future seasons, but that trade started a chain reaction that has led to today.  

#1 overall pick and crickets in here.

Apparently the Pirates drafted 4 guys ranked in the draft's top 32.  Hopefully they sign them all and don't mess them up . . . . 

All indications are that the Buccos crushed the first two round of the draft.  Maybe we have a real GM and scouting department.  Now we just need to make sure we actually develop these guys, keep them when in their prime, and add pieces to fill out a contending roster when the time comes . . . . .

All indications are that the Buccos crushed the first two round of the draft.  Maybe we have a real GM and scouting department.  Now we just need to make sure we actually develop these guys, keep them when in their prime, and add pieces to fill out a contending roster when the time comes . . . . .
None of this is going to happen

Signed all four (4) of the "first round talent" guys now.  

Supplemental 2nd-rder Lonnie White signs w/@Pirates for $1.5 million (pick 64 value = $1,050,300). Pennsylvania HS OF, plus raw power, plus-plus speed, good CF instincts. Penn State WR recruit. @MLBDraft

The draft and moves this season are what will set the table for contention 3-5 years from now . . . .

Leeroy Jenkins said:
These guys good prospects?  Seems not as great as some of those Yankees, Mariners, and Mets packages that were floating around. 
Does it really matter?  Any that pan out will be traded for prospects.  Those that don’t will be cut and become stars with another team or out of baseball.

It’s rinse snd repeat with this team. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it really matter?  Any that pan out will be traded for prospects.  Those that don’t will be cut and become stars with another team or out of baseball.

It’s rinse snd repeat with this team. 

Maybe the new regime will be smarter.  Team blew it in 2015 and then made everything worse with the Archer trade.  After that, there was no option other than total tear-down and rebuild.

Maybe the new regime will be smarter.  Team blew it in 2015 and then made everything worse with the Archer trade.  After that, there was no option other than total tear-down and rebuild.
I hope so but I believe the problem is with the ownership more than management.  As you said they had the opportunity to open up the wallet in 2013-2015 to make a serious push but didn't.  Even in 2018 they could have at least tried to make a run.

Nutting doesn't care about fielding a competitive team or not.  The only chance the Pirates have is if most of these prospects hit at the same time and they get lucky with a few journeyman veteran free agents. 

Otherwise the Pirates will trade players that pan out as they near arbitration in order to get new prospects and keep the payroll down.

I think the management is much better, I always felt like Neal wasnt sure how to run a solid baseball program, especially from a talent development perspective. The talent we did find, we squandered by putting square pegs in round holes (see Glasnow, Meadows, Cole, etc...), outside of a magical run 2013-2015, it's been a moribund ride.

Glad to see Ben Cherington having good success committing to a plan and following through thus far, but still a long way to go since the returns from the draft & this trade deadline will take years to manifest. I'm willing to give Ben the benefit of the doubt, but I dont think we're going to be contending until 2024 at the earliest. Going to get alot darker before the sun begins to shine again. Buckle up for some piss poor baseball the next few years.

How are there 3 major league teams with a worse record than the Pirates?  I seriously don't know how that's even possible.  

Users who are viewing this thread