What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Thread (1 Viewer)

Mjolnirs

Footballguy
The Season starts June 1st.

2022 Names
Alex
Bonnie
Colin

Danielle
Earl
Fiona
Gaston
Hermine
Ian

Julia
Karl
Lisa
Martin
Nicole
Owen
Paula
Richard
Shary
Tobias
Virginie
Walter

Last edited:
Before it became Alex, the system dumped over 10 inches of rain over much of south Florida.

Some flooding scenes in Miami's Little Havana and when the clubbers leave the night spots at 5am and party girl is a trooper pushing her boyfriend's BMW. Tow trucks made a killing on vehicles stalled in street flooding.
Wow, hadn't seen any of that on TV.  It is something how much these things can dump before and after the name threshold.

Re, Party Girl:  Put the camera down and help.   :lol:  at the two girls just walking away.  I'm sure it was a bit more difficult to move once they opened the doors and let water inside.

Before it became Alex, the system dumped over 10 inches of rain over much of south Florida.

Some flooding scenes in Miami's Little Havana and when the clubbers leave the night spots at 5am and party girl is a trooper pushing her boyfriend's BMW. Tow trucks made a killing on vehicles stalled in street flooding.
Thankfully we built our house on the underground limestone ridge that runs down the SE coast of Florida from Miami. We are at 14' above sea level so don't have any issues with flooding. Despite the huge amount of rain that we got, it drained pretty well so we didn't have any flooding in Coconut Grove. 

Track the Tropics disagrees with what the GFS is predicting currently. Maybe too much Saharan dust :lol:  

GFS still has it as of this morning.  Pushed it into middle of the following week though so now in the wish casting zone.   It won't really take much to get a monster in the GOM, Texas really needs something to cruise right over corpus and dump on west Texas or fire season going to get super bad.

So glad I got the 175 mph impact- resistant windows. Not hoping anything comes Tampa way, but happy I don’t have to put up or take down the panels I used to have. 

How do the hurricane hunters fly safely into the storm? Are they going above it and then dropping in?

For the most part by navigating into storms over water rather than land is substantially safer for many reasons.

Secondly is they fly really strong airframes that can take quite a bit of abuse. They do drop instruments at times.

South Florida checking in here. This hurricane season has been very mild to say the least. Waiting out the last few weeks of the season to see if we have any late development.

South Florida checking in here. This hurricane season has been very mild to say the least. Waiting out the last few weeks of the season to see if we have any late development.
Shhhhh......
SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!! :gang1::pirate:
Come on....just one small hurricane this year? Like a Cat 2 or something? I didn't make all of these preparations for nothing...

Keep them away from Central FL and you can have as many as you like.

Shhhhh......
Come on....just one small hurricane this year? Like a Cat 2 or something? I didn't make all of these preparations for nothing....
As much as I would like to test out my new 175-185 mph impact resistant windows, I think I’m good with not wanting one of those on my doorstep.

Shhhhh......
Come on....just one small hurricane this year? Like a Cat 2 or something? I didn't make all of these preparations for nothing...

Keep them away from Central FL and you can have as many as you like.
Lol. Good luck with that.

I moved into our newly built house in October 2019 and would like to at least take it for a test run. I saw the amount of cement, rebar and concrete block that went into it and need to know if it can at least withstand a Cat 2 or Cat 3 first before deciding to bunker down in a Cat 4 or Cat 5. I mean that's just being practical.

Shhhhh......
Come on....just one small hurricane this year? Like a Cat 2 or something? I didn't make all of these preparations for nothing....
As much as I would like to test out my new 175-185 mph impact resistant windows, I think I’m good with not wanting one of those on my doorstep.
Don't look at the GFS run around the 10-day/240 hour mark then....

I moved into our newly built house in October 2019 and would like to at least take it for a test run. I saw the amount of cement, rebar and concrete block that went into it and need to know if it can at least withstand a Cat 2 or Cat 3 first before deciding to bunker down in a Cat 4 or Cat 5. I mean that's just being practical.
Most the time if your inland most homes do ok. Maybe lose a few shingles maybe some trees which is OK as long as they fall away from your house.
I just hate being without power. Last one that came through we lost power for 10 days. Spotting a Duke energy truck was as rare as spotting a skunk ape down here.

Most the time if your inland most homes do ok. Maybe lose a few shingles maybe some trees which is OK as long as they fall away from your house.
I just hate being without power. Last one that came through we lost power for 10 days. Spotting a Duke energy truck was as rare as spotting a skunk ape down here.
We are about 1/2 mile from the water but at 14' above sea level on a natural limestone ridge that runs through the area. Most of our power is above ground so losing electricity is expected. I do have a generator but it's only used to run some lights/fans/re-charge phones, etc. We do have a large LP tank that we can use for cooking on the grill if needed.

The last one we were threatened with was Irma back in September 2017. We ended up evacuating to Panama City and then drove back home after it passed. Didn't have power for 3-4 days after we got back but made due. It's still hot as hell down here this time of year but the city drove around passing out ice and we had plenty of food and gas for the generator so it was ok.

My first hurricane season. Just moved from the Midwest to the Panama City Beach area. Really wish our builder spent the extra coin on impact resistant windows. I know hurricane Michael in Oct. 2018 really drilled this area, but I'm not sure of the last major hurricane prior to that. Hmmm, maybe I should've done a little more research prior to buying a new house 0.4 miles from the Gulf. At least we're not in a flood zone, but it's not like our land is really high from the coast's elevation. Like Senor said, lots of overhead power lines in our neighborhood. I'd expect plenty of power outages, I guess.

My first hurricane season. Just moved from the Midwest to the Panama City Beach area. Really wish our builder spent the extra coin on impact resistant windows. I know hurricane Michael in Oct. 2018 really drilled this area, but I'm not sure of the last major hurricane prior to that. Hmmm, maybe I should've done a little more research prior to buying a new house 0.4 miles from the Gulf. At least we're not in a flood zone, but it's not like our land is really high from the coast's elevation. Like Senor said, lots of overhead power lines in our neighborhood. I'd expect plenty of power outages, I guess.
My sil has lived in Ft. Walton Beach for years and she really never has been impacted by one. That's in your neck of the woods. Mexico Beach got obliterated not to long ago and that's not that far from you. I think it's just the luck of the draw.

Yes, Fort Walton Beach is an hour west. Mexico Beach is an hour east of us. Like you said, Mexico Beach was obliterated by Hurricane Michael (Oct. ‘18), they still haven’t rebuilt much as far as beachside houses/properties yet. That’s the same one that hit Panama City Beach (but not nearly as bad). Luck of the draw indeed.

You realize 98L got on the notification virtually at the exact same time you posted this right?

98L is only a couple days from forming. The storm which I suppose becomes the "H" named storm from that point could go damn near anywhere. This is not great news because forming storms on a Friday don't tend to get the news cycle attention, and by Monday if this is going somewhere and big there won't be much time to do much evac. I can't recall something like this situation before.

"This morning's 12z SHIPS forecast is literal weenie fuel for #98L. It's certainly not every day you see it explicitly forecast a category 4 hurricane for an invest (), let alone show a maximum potential intensity this high"

For the record the max intensity it forecasts here is 173. So yeah.
Would Hurricane Hermine be pronounced “Her-mine” or “Her-mean”?
don't know. i've been saying Her-miney in my head, but 2nd guess is Hair-mean.

Users who are viewing this thread