What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Thread (1 Viewer)

Unbelievable. They were told to evacuate. Will be interesting to hear the circumstances that led to the deaths.
But then who would post all these great videos we are getting on Twitter? I told my wife that last night, for all these "oh my gosh, these videos are horrific" we see, somebody was standing there taking it. They ain't all Ring camera's.
I would imagine that a lot of the folks who stayed were older, had health issues, and leaving their home and driving somewhere was scary enough that they decided to stay.

Any word on storm surge on the east side? We have some family in the Daytona area that are out of reach, hopefully because of outages and not flooding ...

I'm just south of Daytona. Lots of rain and still coming down. We started getting a new band of the storm about 2 hours ago and its still blowing pretty good and raining. The river is over the road where I'm at and our dock is under. Tide is also high right now which isn't helping. Have seen a few boats off their hooks free floating down the river today.

I'm just south of Daytona. Lots of rain and still coming down. We started getting a new band of the storm about 2 hours ago and its still blowing pretty good and raining. The river is over the road where I'm at and our dock is under. Tide is also high right now which isn't helping. Have seen a few boats off their hooks free floating down the river today.
Stay safe gb

Still having big gusts, but the rain bans seem to be easing up. Over in Daytona it's STILL pouring and really strong winds like we were having here earlier this am. 50-60 mph

My Dad (85) and step-Mom (80) are in Venice and Englewood respectively (Dad is in a rehab center). Too stubborn to evacuate :angry:

House and Step-Mom are safe. No significant damage, but a lot in their neighborhood in shambles. No power or water since about 2pm yesterday.

Dad is in better shape as the rehab facility have generator power. Some roof damage and small leaks are all he's reporting.

What a nightmare, but thankful they are OK...

This happens every year. Hell, even multiple times a year as there's a whole season of annual hurricanes. Why do so many people keep living there? I know the weather's good the rest of the time and there's no income tax, but are the injuries, death, and damages worth it to keep suffering through this every late summer?

they are showing pictures of sanibel and it just looks like a total loss absolutely horrible
Where are you seeing these? We go over year to north Captiva which is right next to it. Can’t find images yet of how bad it is there.
I searched "hurricane Ian" on YouTube and there are local news stations with livestreams. They're doing helicopter flyovers showing the Sanibel causeway destroyed, roads flooded, boats stacked on top of each other, and a couple homes on fire.
Stayed in Sanibel a few yrs ago & just loved it. Unbelievable

This happens every year. Hell, even multiple times a year as there's a whole season of annual hurricanes. Why do so many people keep living there? I know the weather's good the rest of the time and there's no income tax, but are the injuries, death, and damages worth it to keep suffering through this every late summer?
Why do people live where there are earthquakes or tornadoes or blizzards? There is dangerous crap just about everywhere. Maybe hurricanes are the worst but you also get a lot of warning and if you live inland it’s usually not a big deal.

My in-laws were just told they may not be able to go back to their condo for 12 months. They're in Ft. Meyers Beach right up against the beach. One of their neighbors stayed and took a pic of the parking lot during the hurricane, you could just see the tops of a few cars/SUVs, figure the water was 6ish feet deep or so just rushing through the 1st floor/lobby. Guess the damage is pretty bad if they're saying possibly a year.

For most people, especially those who don't live in a barrier island, the impact is minimal, just loss of power. This will not directly stop people retiring to The Villages and elsewhere from states such as NY, Ohio, and Michigan. And it won't stop many companies and pre-retirement age people relocating from NY, CT, IL, etc, to a lower tax warmer climate state. Increased home owners insurance and the increased cost of buying and renting could slow down the migration.

they are showing pictures of sanibel and it just looks like a total loss absolutely horrible
Where are you seeing these? We go over year to north Captiva which is right next to it. Can’t find images yet of how bad it is there.
I searched "hurricane Ian" on YouTube and there are local news stations with livestreams. They're doing helicopter flyovers showing the Sanibel causeway destroyed, roads flooded, boats stacked on top of each other, and a couple homes on fire.
Stayed in Sanibel a few yrs ago & just loved it. Unbelievable
what is worst about this is i understand that bridge is the only way in and out so i would be those houses are not going to get the attention they need to be saved they need to be dried repaired etc and how can that happen when the only road in and out is gone scary stuff

Why do people live where there are earthquakes or tornadoes or blizzards? There is dangerous crap just about everywhere. Maybe hurricanes are the worst but you also get a lot of warning and if you live inland it’s usually not a big deal.
True, I live in earthquake country and there's always risk of "the big one". But we don't get 6/7/8 richter scale quakes in major cities every year. But it's like clockwork in FL, and every dang year people need help recovering... and then they move right back to the same place for it to happen all over again year after year. Why do that to yourself?

True, I live in earthquake country and there's always risk of "the big one". But we don't get 6/7/8 richter scale quakes in major cities every year. But it's like clockwork in FL, and every dang year people need help recovering... and then they move right back to the same place for it to happen all over again year after year. Why do that to yourself?
My mom has a lil vacation house in Cape Coral. Just a little cottage 2 miles inland. It had very little damage, and her attitude now is, pfft, see? We'll be fine.

It isn't like the same people are getting destroyed each storm, and keep coming back. And the ones that don't are all like, nah, we are good where we are.

People want to believe what they want to believe. I cannot believe there is still building of towers going on in Miami and such.

I would imagine that a lot of the folks who stayed were older, had health issues, and leaving their home and driving somewhere was scary enough that they decided to stay.
Yea I struggle with this. I was reading a few tweets about folks that stayed & now need rescued, etc. So difficult to judge because everyone's situation is different. I get angry about it but then I think if somebody gave me a day or two's notice and said you gotta get out, I'm not sure what I would do. I'm very much the "it won't be that bad" guy.

I know it's pretty devastating down there now and I'm hoping loss of life is minimal. Stuff can be replaced and rebuilt. Hopefully better than before, good luck to everyone in the middle of this mess.

The lack of information coming out of Fort Myers Beach is really scary.
Agree. I watched it most of the last two days from the Cape Coral Fox feed. I couldn’t fathom being in something like this, then to have that storm surge.

My uncle’s SIL lives in Cape Coral and lost everything.

But it's like clockwork in FL, and every dang year people need help recovering... and then they move right back to the same place for it to happen all over again year after year. Why do that to yourself?
I’ve lived in coastal Florida most of my life and have never once even lost power due to a hurricane. It can be horrendous and obviously people are having their lives ripped apart today, but it’s not as common as you are making it.

And the answer to why people do it is because it’s beautiful here. I’ve been to the Midwest in April…..APRIL…when it’s gray and 20 degrees and I ask why do people do that to themselves. It’s just all about where you want to live.

That said, I may have had enough of the beauty. It is tiring to stress over these things.

Yes.

I dont know about every year. The last major hurricane to hit FL was Michael in 2018, Irma in 2017, and then none since Wilma in 2005.

Yea I struggle with this. I was reading a few tweets about folks that stayed & now need rescued, etc. So difficult to judge because everyone's situation is different. I get angry about it but then I think if somebody gave me a day or two's notice and said you gotta get out, I'm not sure what I would do. I'm very much the "it won't be that bad" guy.

I know it's pretty devastating down there now and I'm hoping loss of life is minimal. Stuff can be replaced and rebuilt. Hopefully better than before, good luck to everyone in the middle of this mess.
It's coming your way GB after taking a little time to organize itself in the Atlantic.

If you have been regaining any faith in humanity lately, check out some of the people who went outside yesterday with various flags in the hurricane, for a little Instagram fame.

For most people, especially those who don't live in a barrier island, the impact is minimal, just loss of power. This will not directly stop people retiring to The Villages and elsewhere from states such as NY, Ohio, and Michigan. And it won't stop many companies and pre-retirement age people relocating from NY, CT, IL, etc, to a lower tax warmer climate state. Increased home owners insurance and the increased cost of buying and renting could slow down the migration.
That's what I figured. If one can afford the financial risk and brace for the inconvenience of down utilities, go for it, I guess. But it seems that many can't afford it yet choose to take the hit every year anyway.

I have lived my whole life here 65 years. There have only been 3 hurricanes that have directly affected me Donna, Charlie and Irma. Ian really was only an inconvenience to me. Not to say I wasn't worried .

The secret is to live inland. I have been thinking about buying a place on Cedar Key and still will if I can find the deal I want. Barrier islands are beautiful there is nothing like island time. The thing is you have plenty of warning. If you live on a barrier island then evacuate when you are told and you won't face death.

I would never live anywhere else. I couldn't imagine having to wake up in the morning and dig myself out of my driveway because 6 feet of snow fell overnight.

I dont know about every year. The last major hurricane to hit FL was Michael in 2018, Irma in 2017, and then none since Wilma in 2005.

Not to jinx anything, but with climate change the general trend should be tropical storms go poleward earlier. This actually makes Florida in a lot of ways less likely to see major systems. This was a freak one that recurved back. Sahara cruisers long term should go towards NC/SC and worst case NYC and GOM storms should keep hitting LA/TX. This year was a little funky in that there was so much sand kicked out of Africa that it disrupted the season to some extent.

Son's ground-floor apartment in Winter Park is already ankle-deep, with a lot more rain in the forecast. Fortunately his sister has a 2nd-floor apartment in the same building, so boy and dog have safely relocated. This likely will get his ratty-*** sofa replaced at least.
Another concern is our daughter's car. She moved it to get away from trees, and also to a bit higher ground, but she cannot see it from her apartment now. Also the boy's dog has nowhere to potty.
I would think in the aftermath of a large hurricane, the world is your potty :shrug:
Well, yes but trying to avoid wading through sewage- and possibly gator-infested waters.

It's coming your way GB after taking a little time to organize itself in the Atlantic.
I know :excited: and I'm not leaving!! Freakin' hypocrite, ain't I?

Filled up the gas can, grabbed a fresh bottle of propane and ran the generator this weekend. Prepped and ready!

Filled up the gas can, grabbed a fresh bottle of propane and ran the generator this weekend. Prepped and ready!
I should really look into a generator but man...paying that sort of coin and it just sit there "in case" pains me.

This is the last hurricane season I don't have a generator and portable AC unit.

Seeing quiet generators I like anywhere from $350 - $900. Got some research to do before buying next spring.

I should really look into a generator but man...paying that sort of coin and it just sit there "in case" pains me.
Yea my wife keeps after me to get one but after seeing Fort Myers I am just hauling *** any time one of these things are pointed at us.

Still haven’t heard from my parents and received this notification…

“The Fort Meyers airport remains closed due to flooding, damage to airport facilities, and poor road conditions. We plan to resume flights on October 7, the current facility reopen date. We appreciate your patience as our teams work hard to recover from this unprecedented weather event. Our travel waiver provides flexibility to adjust your plans, including a refund if preferred. To view your options, visit the My Trips section on the United app or https://fly.united.com/vZxXKt. Thank you for your understanding as we work to resume service. Confirmation Number: O6PZ0L”

was supposed to fly into Ft. Myers on 4 Oct

I live here because I hate dealing with 5 months of gray days and purple nights, because the Great Lakes decided to not let us see the Sun from October to March. I live here because I’m sick of having to stay inside for weeks at a time because it’s hazardous to my health to walk around without bundling up like Ralphie’s younger brother every time. I live here because I’d rather deal with too much heat than not enough of it. I’ll gladly take my chances with the odd hurricane or two. I’m getting my solar panels ready to go, putting in a battery bank, and then I won’t have to worry about a storm knocking out power.

I live here because I hate dealing with 5 months of gray days and purple nights, because the Great Lakes decided to not let us see the Sun from October to March. I live here because I’m sick of having to stay inside for weeks at a time because it’s hazardous to my health to walk around without bundling up like Ralphie’s younger brother every time. I live here because I’d rather deal with too much heat than not enough of it. I’ll gladly take my chances with the odd hurricane or two. I’m getting my solar panels ready to go, putting in a battery bank, and then I won’t have to worry about a storm knocking out power.
I’m considering the solar panel route…now more than ever.

I got a portable invertible generator. Powers one AC unit, water pump, lights & kitchen. Depending on the set up of your panel, electrician costs will vary, but shouldn't be outrageous. I've never used it once :lol: I'm also underground power and my grid is the same as a firehouse, so in the few instances I've lost power, it's priority one for FPL and comes back quick.

On the topic of pool pumps from yesterday, ran my today for the first time in a few days and the thing was loud as hell :kicksrock: It's from 2016, so I guess whatever. That, a mailbox, small soffit leak, some landscaping items, I can't complain, maybe $3kish to fix all of it. Storm was weird in Palm Beach, Tuesday night storm was like hell, Wednesday all day quiet until evening and then really windy last night. All in all, can't complain here in comparison to other parts of the state.

Kind of unsettling with limited news flow out of the Fort Meyers area, hoping for the best, but sadly expecting the worst. Really don't understand why people wouldn't evacuate. If you have a new house with either impact windows, new roof, shutters, generator, etc and there is no storm surge threat, I guess I can understand bunkering down. When you factor in the threat of flooding, you have to evacuate. If water is coming through 1) you're in danger & 2) not much you can do. The I'm not leaving mentality is strange to me, and I'm a fairly hard-headed individual.

I’m considering the solar panel route…now more than ever.
You can go on Tesla's website, enter your address and get an estimate for panels or a solar roof instantly.

My Tesla Solar Roof estimate... $312k :lmao: Hard pass. Panels are more reasonable.

ETA: And one thing to take into account when looking at the solar roof, the tax incentives are nonsense. The credit is only for the solar shingles, so their savings estimate is bogus.

Id love to move to FL. Maybe some day

Users who are viewing this thread