What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (4 Viewers)

This is interesting. So let's say I drive the fairway (hooray!). But my second shot I dead pull left, and it ends up in some water. Near the water is a bunch of trees between point of entry and the hole. My options are:

A) drop within two clubs of where it went in, in any direction

B) drop farther back along the path from where I hit it to the water, even if I want to go back like 40 yards to avoid the trees, knowing I have a club that can cover that 40 and now I have a clean shot at the green

is that right?
Not quite.

You can either take stroke and distance.....  i.e. rehit from where your last spot was, but assessed a penalty stroke.

or 

drop anywhere on the line behind the hole and the point of entry... also with a penalty stroke.  So, if you hit it straight left into the water, but the grass around the water is long and you don't want to drop there, you can draw an imaginary line between the hole and your point of entry, then extend it past your point of entry and drop anywhere on that line, not on the line between your shot and the point of entry.  So, in that case the only way to avoid those trees would be to re-hit from the previous spot.

b) drop anywhere backwards as long as the spot it crossed the hazard is between you and the ball. Meaning you would be hitting "over that spot"
I think I'm getting it. Except for b here:

So I drop is anywhere along the line from where I hit, to where it entered hazard, OR do I drop anywhere on a straight line from where it entered directly backwards away from the green?

Not quite.

You can either take stroke and distance.....  i.e. rehit from where your last spot was, but assessed a penalty stroke.

or 

drop anywhere on the line behind the hole and the point of entry... also with a penalty stroke.  So, if you hit it straight left into the water, but the grass around the water is long and you don't want to drop there, you can draw an imaginary line between the hole and your point of entry, then extend it past your point of entry and drop anywhere on that line, not on the line between your shot and the point of entry.  So, in that case the only way to avoid those trees would be to re-hit from the previous spot.
Ok, so it's not the line from my hit to the hazard, it's a line directly away from the green, starting at where the ball entered the hazard?

So in my example, i could go backwards so that a club would reach a high enough point to go over said tree before it would hit the tree, but I can't go back towards where i hit from as I originally suggested?

This is interesting. So let's say I drive the fairway (hooray!). But my second shot I dead pull left, and it ends up in some water. Near the water is a bunch of trees between point of entry and the hole. My options are:

A) drop within two clubs of where it went in, in any direction - 

B) drop farther back along the path from where I hit it to the water, even if I want to go back like 40 yards to avoid the trees, knowing I have a club that can cover that 40 and now I have a clean shot at the green

is that right?
A) NO CLOSER TO THE HOLE

B) As long as the spot that the ball crosssed the hazard is directly in front of you

C) rehit from where your original shot was

Ok, so it's not the line from my hit to the hazard, it's a line directly away from the green, starting at where the ball entered the hazard?

So in my example, i could go backwards so that a club would reach a high enough point to go over said tree before it would hit the tree, but I can't go back towards where i hit from as I originally suggested?
Yes.  Exactly.  You have the option to take relief on a line between your point of entry and the hole.

Here's a great visual.

In your example - option C is probably preferred.... REHIT from the original spot with penalty :)

ok, i’ve been struggling lately for some reason so what do i decide to do on saturday? move back a tee box… welp low and behold i proceed to play 10x better. i only drive the ball about 220 in the air but i felt so much more feee off the tee box because i knew i couldn’t reach my usually danger zones. shot my best round of the year even with a triple on the first hole (hit a bomb into a hazard :bag:  after saying i couldn’t reach it) sunday moved back up a tee box at our sunday course and had a so so round but then replayed it with one of my buddies and we played the tips which add 662 yards, 1 par and 8 bogeys with 10 putts on the back 9 before my buddies back got sore and we called it a day. also played the replay 9 barefoot, man was it freeing, i may play more afternoon rounds like that in the future. 

Best putting day ever today (28 putts) and 11 holes of par or bogey. But 7 monster blowups. And some very close calls saved by excellent chips. 6 1-putts too. 

This game is very fun. It's weird - I'm still scoring upper 90s/low 100s, but the # of good to great shots is going up consistently. I just still have some where things go crazy sideways PLUS I score accurately now (I used to mulligan the cap out of stuff) and hit correctly (like take my medicine and pop back on the fairway instead of picking it up nd dropping it there and continuing onward when I was learning early on.

Two weeks ago was garbage. Hurt my back last week.

Played pretty great this morning - except for putting. Hit many fairways and short irons were really good for me.

I've come to really love playing early morning golf. Started at 6 this morning and was done just before 9. Fast play is fun play.

Played yesterday and I am starting to figure out how to hit my driver.  First few holes I sliced which was strange because I wasn't doing it on the range.  I figured out I was standing too close to the ball creating an outside in swing path.  Finished strong and had 4 pars in 9 holes and could have been 6 pars but for 2 missed 8 foot par puts.  An early triple and double derailed my score but 43 or 7 over for 9 holes was pretty good for me.  One of these days I will get through a round avoiding the 1 or 2 hole blow up holes.

Played yesterday and I am starting to figure out how to hit my driver.  First few holes I sliced which was strange because I wasn't doing it on the range.  I figured out I was standing too close to the ball creating an outside in swing path.  Finished strong and had 4 pars in 9 holes and could have been 6 pars but for 2 missed 8 foot par puts.  An early triple and double derailed my score but 43 or 7 over for 9 holes was pretty good for me.  One of these days I will get through a round avoiding the 1 or 2 hole blow up holes.
The bold is the biggest difference between being a 20 handicap and a 10. Gotta avoid blowups. 

Made another eagle today. Same hole as a month ago.  Got a LITTLE lucky with my 2nd shot (snuck a hybrid through the trees on the 2nd dogleg) and ended up just short of the green. Changed from my 54 to my 60 at the last second and rolled in a nice chip from like 15 yards.

Felt REALLY good at golf.

Then I yanked my next shot into the driving range net, had to punch out and ended up making a double on the next hole.

Golf sucks.

Still shot another good round despite not driving the ball great. Just feel like one of these days everything is gonna come together and I'm gonna fire like a 77. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Made another eagle today. Same hole as a month ago.  Got a LITTLE lucky with my 2nd shot (snuck a hybrid through the trees on the 2nd dogleg) and ended up just short of the green. Changed from my 54 to my 60 at the last second and rolled in a nice chip from like 15 yards.

Felt REALLY good at golf.

Then I yanked my next shot into the driving range net, had to punch out and ended up making a double on the next hole.

Golf sucks.

Still shot another good round despite not driving the ball great. Just feel like one of these days everything is gonna come together and I'm gonna fire like a 77. 
... and follow it up with a 94. :lmao:  

First time I shot par (I had only been playing a little while and was a double digit handicap still) it was a back nine where the heavens opened and everything went correctly. Eagled two par 5s and also made a hole in one on a par 3. I couldn't ####### miss. Had like 22 putts, didn't lose a ball, etc. 

I left so happy/cocky about my game. Challenged my then much better BIL the next day. First swing I pump a ball OB, make an 8, and didn't break 95. 

Bandon Dunes trip completed. One of the few hyped experiences that met expectations. 

Amazing customer service, immaculate courses, great part of the world.

The price tag is a shock but they have it dialed in down there in Bandon. 

Arrrgggghhh. Played great off the tee. Good putting (not great). Generally good second shots...but awful chipping. Like I totally forgot how to do it. Between that and all my distances being off because I'm hitting irons properly now and they all go farther than I'm used to, I'm hitting more good strikes than ever but scores are static.

Bandon Dunes trip completed. One of the few hyped experiences that meet expectations. 

What was your schedule (how many rounds? How many days?) and how was the weather?

I absolutely can't wait to go (ideally with my dad and brother...maybe brother #2 if he gets into the game....which seems unlikely) but I do worry a little bit.

I would REALLY want to play all 5 courses (6th on the way) plus the preserve and I kinda think we'd have to go for 5 days to do that. I could probably gut out a 2 round day if needed (although 36 with no carts might be rough) but my dad (despite walking 135+ rounds a year with a pull cart) probably could not. (especially in tough weather) 

I walk and carry for 90% of my rounds...so maybe a caddy would make it light work for me. Dont know. Not sure I've ever tried to walk 12 miles in a day.

Also, I really dont like playing in the wind, so I do worry that one or 2 rounds on the oceanside courses (basically everything but Trails) would be let downs if the gusts just gave me no shot of playing well. 

I think I'd just have to go into the rounds (at least the windy rounds) with low expectations and just enjoy the walk. Its hard for me to do that...as I was so bad at golf for so long. Now that I'm decent, I'm almost always out there grinding trying to post my best score.

Bandon Dunes trip completed. One of the few hyped experiences that meet expectations. 

awesome. We are 8 months away. Any recommendations or advice? We are playing 36-27-18-18 to play all the courses 

What was your schedule (how many rounds? How many days?) and how was the weather?

I absolutely can't wait to go (ideally with my dad and brother...maybe brother #2 if he gets into the game....which seems unlikely) but I do worry a little bit.

I would REALLY want to play all 5 courses (6th on the way) plus the preserve and I kinda think we'd have to go for 5 days to do that. I could probably gut out a 2 round day if needed (although 36 with no carts might be rough) but my dad (despite walking 135+ rounds a year with a pull cart) probably could not. (especially in tough weather) 

I walk and carry for 90% of my rounds...so maybe a caddy would make it light work for me. Dont know. Not sure I've ever tried to walk 12 miles in a day.

Also, I really dont like playing in the wind, so I do worry that one or 2 rounds on the oceanside courses (basically everything but Trails) would be let downs if the gusts just gave me no shot of playing well. 

I think I'd just have to go into the rounds (at least the windy rounds) with low expectations and just enjoy the walk. Its hard for me to do that...as I was so bad at golf for so long. Now that I'm decent, I'm almost always out there grinding trying to post my best score.
We drove down from Seattle on a Wednesday and played a course that day. If flying into the little airport that is near there, that is dicey or at least plan a couple hour buffer. We picked up two guys and were literally changing in the parking lot to make our time due to delays.

We then played the next 3 days and did the 13 hole Preserve course and the Punchbowl putting course after rounds on two of the days.

Then drove home on Sunday.

We did not play Sheep Ranch...just not enough time for us. All courses were awesome. 

I personally wouldn't play 2 of the big courses in one day. 

Two of the guys had caddies every day, me and the other guy did it for one. They had the same guy each day which was cool - I would def recommend their guy, Joe (has been there for 20+ years) and our guy was cool as well - Jason aka "Hump".

We got lucky with weather and had wind only one day at it wasn't crazy for there, but definitely had an impact. Wind could definitely be a major factor so pray to the wind Gods! Nothing you can do so just have a good attitude I think, which it sounds like you got going. It is very beautiful.

They keep you moving there, pace of play is no joke, but you are literally on cliffs for many holes so you get to take it in.

If I missed anything hit me up!

awesome. We are 8 months away. Any recommendations or advice? We are playing 36-27-18-18 to play all the courses 

I feel like this setup is ideal.  Get the "bad day" out of the way first before you're too gassed. Maybe follow it up with the easiest walk the next day (apparently Sheep Ranch). Apparently Trails is the hardest walk (although it generally has the least wind)

If I'm going there (as an East Coast guy who obviously can't do it on a whim) I'm playing all 5 courses....period.  If I had to skip one (Based on the videos I've watched) I think it would be Old Mac.  They all look awesome...but that one just seems like the course I'd like the least. I think Sheep Ranch looks freaking awesome.

Can't wait to get there someday.

Definitely hit up the practice area. It's a sweet setup. It is in a separate location but <5 mins from each of the courses (not sure about Sheep Ranch that's the one I didn't play, I think it's maybe a touch further away).

36 is a big number so be ready! Course aren't super hard to walk but are long. I'm sure you are aware but get your steps in now so you are ready  :lol:  I had my push cart am in ok shape and was pretty sore after 4 days.

The food in the bar / pub at Bandon Dunes was good, you can just walk in there. We ate there twice. We stayed in Bandon off property and ate at a couple ok spots there. If you are on the grounds you prolly won't go into town but if you do lemme know.

The Preserve is sweet you will enjoy that on day 2 and Punchbowl at Pacific Dunes is a must do after your round. I'd make a trip to that after one of your 18 hole days for sure.

I feel like this setup is ideal.  Get the "bad day" out of the way first before you're too gassed. Maybe follow it up with the easiest walk the next day (apparently Sheep Ranch). Apparently Trails is the hardest walk (although it generally has the least wind)

If I'm going there (as an East Coast guy who obviously can't do it on a whim) I'm playing all 5 courses....period.  If I had to skip one (Based on the videos I've watched) I think it would be Old Mac.  They all look awesome...but that one just seems like the course I'd like the least. I think Sheep Ranch looks freaking awesome.

Old Mac was a crazy set up. You hike up over this ridge on the 3rd hole (that you have to also drive over from the tee box) and then can see pretty much the entire course laid out in front of you. We had the hardest conditions and played the worst there but it was very cool.

Didn't do Sheep Ranch I will get this one in next time.

Would have a hard time choosing one to drop if I couldn't get them all in again. Old Mac I did like the least but prolly because conditions weren't the best and I shot the worst so not Old Mac's fault :lol:

You have 8 months to learn a knock down shot. You’ll want this in your bag 

Bandon Dunes trip completed. One of the few hyped experiences that met expectations. 

Going in April. Can't wait. Any dos or don'ts?

ETA: Sorry, see you already did that. I'll keep reading!

We're scheduled to do 36 holes for three straight days. That might be too ambitious, but they said we could drop one no problem if we felt it was too much. I live pretty close, but other guys are flying in for trip of a lifetime, so we're going to play everything or die trying.

torrey pines south this morning, hopefully i got my bad round out of my system yesterday. saturday played in my league and played great, may have been slightly hungover yesterday which lead to the #### round but woke up rested and ready to hack it up 

Definitely hit up the practice area. It's a sweet setup. It is in a separate location but <5 mins from each of the courses (not sure about Sheep Ranch that's the one I didn't play, I think it's maybe a touch further away).

36 is a big number so be ready! Course aren't super hard to walk but are long. I'm sure you are aware but get your steps in now so you are ready  :lol:  I had my push cart am in ok shape and was pretty sore after 4 days.

The food in the bar / pub at Bandon Dunes was good, you can just walk in there. We ate there twice. We stayed in Bandon off property and ate at a couple ok spots there. If you are on the grounds you prolly won't go into town but if you do lemme know.

The Preserve is sweet you will enjoy that on day 2 and Punchbowl at Pacific Dunes is a must do after your round. I'd make a trip to that after one of your 18 hole days for sure.
 Thanks- so there is just a single range/practice area, each course doesn’t have one? 

Going to make on site dinner res when I can, I think we may taxi to the casino one night but otherwise won’t leave the property.

Planning to get a caddy for the 36 hole day,  and just rent a pull cart for the rest. Starting on Old Mac day 1, can’t wait! 

Thanks- so there is just a single range/practice area, each course doesn’t have one? 

Going to make on site dinner res when I can, I think we may taxi to the casino one night but otherwise won’t leave the property.

Planning to get a caddy for the 36 hole day,  and just rent a pull cart for the rest. Starting on Old Mac day 1, can’t wait! 
Yep one huge practice area. If you have a car is very short ride to the other courses. Think for peeps on property there are shuttles.

Very nice practice area to practice every shot you can think of.

We didn’t make rez for the Pub at abandon Dunes, I’d make ‘’em for the restaurants though. 

Enjoy!

Welp finally was able to check Torrey south off my bucket list and it lived up to the hype. They had just hosted a pro/am over the weekend so the rough, while not as deep as the pga tour times, was gnarly and the pin positions border line insane. Saturday and Sunday were both overcast with a bit of a fog bank at the coast but Monday morning we were greeted with blue sky's and just a hint of wind. The views were incredible which helped ease the pain of the slow pain going on out there, the marshal finally showed up when we were on 15 and said he had found the slow group (about 4 groups ahead) and had told them to speed up. I am fortunate enough to get the resident rate so at $65 plus $21 for a cart felt like a steal but 2 12oz beers from the beer cart cost $21 so they got some bucks back from us. Golf wise I played so/so, first time in years where I didn't have a single par which really pissed me off as I missed probably 9 par putts. 4 doubles and 14 bogeys on a course that played a little long for me from the Green tee's has me ready to go back down there and try and redeem myself, plus I still need to play the north course now.

I'm not a good golfer (current index is 19.3), but i was playing my best golf 3-weeks ago with scores consistently <90.  Then I got COVID.  Was out of commission for about 2 weeks and then went on vacation.

Since getting back everything has gone to the dumps.  I'm hitting 40 yard bombs off the tee.  Can't find the fairway.  Putts are way too short or way too long.

When you guys get off like this what do you do to reset?  What drills?  How long?  What is your routine? 

I'm not a good golfer (current index is 19.3), but i was playing my best golf 3-weeks ago with scores consistently <90.  Then I got COVID.  Was out of commission for about 2 weeks and then went on vacation.

Since getting back everything has gone to the dumps.  I'm hitting 40 yard bombs off the tee.  Can't find the fairway.  Putts are way too short or way too long.

When you guys get off like this what do you do to reset?  What drills?  How long?  What is your routine? 
it becomes mental pretty quick. Go to the range and focus on making good contact. Start with half swings to find your plane and work up to a full swing. The putting thing is probably just rust, work on a smooth consistent stroke on the practice green

Club Mine New
D 10.5 10.5
4h 24 -
5i 27 -
6i 30 25
7i 34 28.5
8i 38 33
9i 42 38
PW 46 43
GW - 47
AW 50 -
SW 54 -
LW 60 -

I'm so excited. Clubs are being shipped to the fitter for final check and for my pick up. 

6-7-8-9-PW-GW, Driver, Putter are what I ended up with. In the month since, I've really significantly improved consistency with irons, and now I may play a couple rounds and decide to stick a 5 iron on there too (lol). But the new irons are way stronger lofted (I think that stronger is the right term), so my new 6 is lofted like my 4H. Not sure how that's going to change with the distances and such.

Given how much stronger the lofts are AND how I'm hitting the ball a lot farther lately anyway, I'm very excited that I get 3 one-hour track sessions to get distances, and also I think this means i will keep my current AW (which is 50) and my SW and LW (which if I had 14 clubs I'd take out, but sometimes it's really helpful in the sand when i need maximum loft and i can open the face on it on top of the loft). 

Any advice from all you experts on clubs I may want to add? I believe I have room for 3 more, thinking one is my 4H leaving two. Please don't say fairway woods - it's on my list of things I need to learn how to hit properly, and I think I'm going to need a lesson from a pro on it because I haven't been able to figure it out on my own yet after I did one iron lesson and it's led to a ton of improvement. So I'm aware of that. This is more of a "in a world where I'm not using woods, are there 2 clubs you'd be on the lookout for?"

97 today from the blues. Really consistent bogeys and doubles, only one big blowup on a par three. Also had 4/4 absolutely smashed awesome 3-woods, and this was the first time I'd put a 3-wood back in the bag after doing some practice. Felt great.

Whisky. 

For those interested in seeing Bandon - tomorrow and Saturday on Golf Channel they are playing the US Juniors on the Bandon Dunes course 3-5pm (PST). 

Earlier this week Patrick Cantlay’s little bro, Jack, shot a 28 on the front 9. That’s pretty good. 

man this game drives me crazy, started with back to back doubles then settled down with a bogey followed by 3 pars and a birdie only to close out double, double on the front 9. Missing on the wrong side of the hole really cost me as did showing up just in time for my tee time (couldn't help it as I went straight from work) so I was not overly upset with a 44 on the front 9. I was 4 over on the back 9 (tougher 9) and then decided to hit 3 wood off the tee on 18 which is a dog leg right part 5 and usually a 3 shot hole for me. Welp, sliced my 3 wood for the first time all day OB and then say #### it and hit driver off the tee and of course end up in a perfect spot to go for the green in 2 which I then duff :bag:  but put my 5th just over the flag and had a disappointing 2 putt for my only double on the back 9. Pretty happy with a 86 at this particular course, Indian Valley Golf Club, 5 doubles had me pissed off but hopefully tomorrow afternoon it goes better out there. 

I am terrible at putting.  In my last 27 holes I have three putted 8 times.  Is it a thing to get fitted for a putter?  I haven't bought a new putter in 25 years and probably need to switch it up.
Absolutely.  I used to be a HORRIBLE putter.  I'm talking 40+ putts per round.  3 putting from 15 feet wasn't unusual at all.

I got lucky and one day was in a Golfsmith and just randomly picked up a weird looking putter - and made 5 10 footers in a row with it.  Bought it on the spot.  Rife Trinidad.

Long story short, it's a center shafted putter and my brain just works a lot better with that visual framing.  I got huge immediate results and spent the next couple seasons tooling around with different options within the center-shaft domain.

I've been gaming a Rife Barbdos (center shaft mid-mallet) now for about 8 years and I am averaging 31.6 putts per round for 2022 (and been in that zip code since the swap).  It's not really about face-balancing either, although I am pretty close to a straight-back-straight-through stroke, it's just the visuals.  I've tinkered around with a ton of center-shaft putters and get consistent results from all of them.  Cleveland, Scotty Cameron, a few different Rife, heck even a Callaway Solaire (ladies' putter) all work well.  I actually gamed the Solarie for about 6 months.

I also have cut all my putters to 33" and I like the lighter swing weight that results. 

Knew it was coming. Happened today. 76 including a 37 on the back (by far the harder side). My best round ever by 3 shots.

Just that magical day where everything was working. Only made 1 birdie but just barely made any mistakes all day.  10/14 fairways (with 2 being extremely narrow misses that really didn't matter. Only hit 7 GIR but barely missed a bunch (really only 1 "bad miss") and chipped to kick in range pretty much any time I missed a green. Only 1 3 putt.

Feels pretty damn awesome. Could have easily been level par on the back (which would have been my first ever even par side). Hit a chip on 16 that looked perfect the whole way and just wiggled an inch left at the very last moment.

Caught 1 or 2 luckyish breaks (including a semi-skulled 9 iron on 18 that held the green) just played so solid all day.

New forum new club update: I have to learn how to swing properly now that I can actually swing the driver fully. But man when i hit it right it goes. Had a 280 yard drive down the middle of the fairway on a par 4. It was incredible. But I also hit fewer fairways overall LOL.

The clubs are longer, and stronger lofted, so they GO too when i make a good strike. But the 6 is like the length of my old 5 or 4 so it's something i gotta work on hitting properly now again.

New putter is super different on weight, the ball comes off the face way softer but does put a good roll on it. I'm legit considering going to a mini-golf course (with my wife, for fun) with it and bringing my own ball and learning how to pace it lol.

My driver was the most consistent part of my game in the not too distant past, and my approach shots were terrible. Now, I've completely flipped that around. Throwing darts with my new wedges but all over the place with my driver. I'd sure like to check all the boxes one day, if just for four glorious hours like @TLEF316 .

So back from hiatus. First round back I was this close to quitting after 9. Had an ok back.

Went to range just as bad. Farting around in yard, then had a click I've had my hands too high and toe down all year

Shot -1 on the front!!! Plus 3 on the back. Made a few long putts but also missed 2 putts inside 3 feet. 😡 ...... Had to scramble a bit on the back but man did it feel good

man oh man, started off birdie, birdie, par, bogey, par :banned: finished bogey, bogey, birdie, bogey for a +1 on the front 9!!! by far my best 9 ever and then the back 9 :kicksrock: got myself into some dumb situations but still carded an 80 but with a double at 18 :bag: i love and hate golf

Users who are viewing this thread