What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (2 Viewers)

I think @gump also is doing it?
Yes! I'm at about 4 months in now...will reiterate what @belljr said, and will stress for me that my goal was to get some flexibility back, as i've always had a lot of rotation in my swing. 5'9" 155 pounds when i played in HS/College...up to 180/185 now and have been trying way too hard for years to rotate, or just not rotating. Now I feel like my core/back/shoulders are lubed up and I'm free again to turn. And confidence in and focus on that is keeping my swing more in tact as a whole, and i'm hitting it harder, higher and straighter. My workouts are heavily focused on Rotation Power.

Golf forever is not a swing trainer, it's an exercise program, sure you take some swings with it as you progress but on the whole I consider it an exercise program. I spent one day doing 30 minutes of nothing but hip stretches and man I was sore lol. I picked it up in November? And fiddled here and there but once the new year hit been pretty consistent 3 times a week for the most part. I still do the recommend programs and haven't really "picked my own". A little about me for background. I'm 51. I am 5'9" When I graduated from college, I weighed 180lbs an I was a solid low body fat in shape 180 and was working out 6 days a week. I played baseball and ice hockey into my 30s and started taking golf seriously after college. Then family, work kids, car accident, injuries happened, I stopped playing sports as much and got up to 205. I was still kind of working out but not as much. I stopped going to the driving range etc. Then COVID hit, I stopped coaching and I really let myself go. Put on another 20 stopped working out completely and hurt my back and hip again. My golf game suffered. So 2023 I decided to rededicate my fitness/diet. I was looking for something golf centric

The reason I tell you all this is to let you know I'm no stranger to the gym, working out, being in shape etc. I've started very slowly and light by design and will ramp up probably in another month. To me it's totally been worth it. I've enjoyed it immensely. Watching JT get a quick workout in using it was like OK....

I didn't exercise for probably close to 2 years so I definitely didn't want to push it.

All I can tell you it feels like it's been worth it for me. Today was the first round I've played since using it for 2 months and I 100% noticed a difference. I was stable, able to turn better and just generally felt comfortable more than I have over the past 3 years.

I'm a 7 hcp index fwiw

If you have any specific questions feel free

My .02 ymmv
I understand it's an exercise program, and should have worded it differently - that's what I was looking for, whether or not the exercise part was worth it and if you were definitely seeing improvement as far as flexibility. Our backgrounds are pretty similar other than me having a few years on you and being a 13hcp instead of a 7 like you are. I'm far enough along on my "get in shape" plan to be within 10 lbs of my goal weight, but looking to focus on mostly stretching and flexibility. Do you do most of your flexibility exercises in the gym with the trainer/cable thing, or do you follow the program at home? Are weight workouts included in the exercises or is it all body weight w/the trainer/cable?
so in the app you pick what equipment you have. The options are swing trainer, bands, dumbbells, foam roller, excercise ball..... then they pick specific workouts. Its usually half stretch then half "power" training. Some have been nothing but stretching. You can also just pick and choose which workouts you want to do.

I do everything in my basement - the swing trainer comes with a door attachment, 2 bands (light - medium) , 2 handles and weight balls to put in the end. I already have foam roller, weight bench, kettlebells BUT I only use the bands/bar and roller.

The only workout I can't do in my basement so far is when you do full swings with the bar.

So one exercise routine I like involves the swing trainer bar attached to cable which is attached to door. you start on floor and do roational excercises, then stand, then presses with lunges etc etc. You control how easy or hard my hand placement on the handles and tension you put on the band
Thanks - that's exactly the info I was looking for. Between you and Gump giving positive testimonials, I think I'll give it a shot, as the benefits you're both seeing are exactly what I'm looking for.

Sunny day here in Oregon today and played 9 holes at a nice course. Shot a 45, but actually hit the ball really well and I am pretty happy. Tough greens but I literally didn't make a putt all day. All gimmies. I missed 6 or 7 easy 6-8 foot putts for par. It was comical how bad I was at putting. 3 putted 3 times.

Almost holed out my second shot on a 375 yard par 4. Drove down the middle 275. Hit a pitching wedge that stuck 1 foot away from hole. Thank god I didn't need to putt it!

Just heard on Fox Sports radio and had to go look it up. People are just looking for a reason to be angry these days.
Cringed when I saw that this morning. Not an offended cringe, a "Social media will have a heyday with this." cringe. :rolleyes: Funny how easy that is to predict.

played a terrible front 9 today with 3 double bogeys and 3 3 putts for a 44, quit caring on the back 9 since i was 9 over and shot a 39. i struggled with my drives, irons, wedges and putts all day so i think i’ve turned a corner with my game when a bad round is an 83

Just checking in to say I'm six weeks away from Bandon Dunes. Got our caddies set up, etc. Trying to play six rounds on five different courses in three days. Pray for my back if that's your thing.
Ibuprofen, Tens Unit, Icy Hot type patches of your choice and a morning prayer! Hit ‘em long and straight!!

Just checking in to say I'm six weeks away from Bandon Dunes. Got our caddies set up, etc. Trying to play six rounds on five different courses in three days. Pray for my back if that's your thing.
Ibuprofen, Tens Unit, Icy Hot type patches of your choice and a morning prayer! Hit ‘em long and straight!!
Are you in my office reading the list that I started putting together this morning??????

Big three-day member guest this week. Trying to not get overly excited and lose sleep/focus on work. Also trying to figure out what to do at the gym this week as I want no soreness going into Thursday.

How do you all prep for the "bigger" tournaments you play in?
As for practice, I focus on lag putting, and specifically two putting from distance. It allows you to nail down speed and practice short ones. Depending upon format, it could all come down to putting. I play a game with myself where I can't leave until I two putt from 5 different locations at 35' or greater.

Get sleep, and do lots of stretching and flexibility. My back tends to tighten up and my swing gets shorter throughout each round, so my focus is on core leading in to a multiday tourney. During the tourney, don't drink too much. Eat well - including snacks and hydration on the course. Apart from that, it's all about soaking in the moment and enjoying myself. I play my best when I'm grateful to be playing and don't beat myself up over bad shots or bad holes. Good luck!
No chance I’m following your advice on not drinking too much as I “always play better when [I’m] wasted,” but love the rest! Thanks for the input. Did stretching, core, and got great sleep this week.
77 - 80 - 79 (playing as a 6 handicap).

Unfortunately my partner didn’t have his best stuff. Still made some money and am rewarded with a massive hangover today but great week all in all.

Weird day today. Bit chilly (53 or so avg temp for the round).

Best day off the tee I've ever had. Fairway after fairway (77% FIRs...and even then I think the missed were basically all the par 3s). Also got some serious distance. Few practice sessions and focusing during rounds on it and I'm getting a beautiful flight with a nice little draw. Still not much clubhead speed but we'll see if I can keep em fairly long and straight maybe I can work on that next.

Same time...worst day chipping I've had in at least a year. Just constantly sliding the club under the ball. Maybe it's a winter thing with like every lie being super tight. So I end up at my usual rough score. Basically wasted all the great drives, whereas usually I'm hitting nice approaches and great chips to recover from **** driving.

Putting was average (greens pretty meh condition anyway) to below average...but made harder by the constant source of never being near the pins.

Most importantly: first round ever played entirely on one ball!!!!!!!!!!!

One of these days I'm gonna put it all together. Between playing and/or practicing at least weekly (should be more if I really will be better), I've been making huge strides.

One ball is a GREAT feeling when you're first learning the game. Big step. Congrats.

Got the first round of the year in today at baywood greens. Obviously bad conditions and some parts of the course (a green, the signature island fairway and a handful of tee boxes) were still shut down, but I still consider it "real golf" (by non posting season standards).

Lousy front 9 due a couple of lost balls and lack of course knowledge (put a par 5 semi-layup into a pond that I couldn't see) but good back 9. Shot a 40 with 3 or 4 realistic birdie chances.

Just a week and a half until my course opens (praying for no snow at this point)

Fully on board with the workout program. Overdid it Saturday so a little sore. Was a little all over on the front but the ball was hit solid. Hit a couple real bad wedges that I got rid of the last round. Just decelerated sod farms.

So I shot 46 but put it together on the back for a 37 . overall very pleased

Played today. Was striping my little three-quarter punch driver. That's proving to be more and more useful and consistent.
Putted really well again.
Opened bogey-bogey with some bad luck and then rattled off five straight pars. Yanked a couple wedges on 8 and 9, leading to a bogey on 8 and an ugly double on 9 after fluffing my chip from a tough spot. So 5 over on front.
Bogeyed 10 and then rattled off four straight pars before another ugly double thanks to another yanked wedge followed by another fluffed chip.
Made a solid bogey on 16 after a drive into the water.
Went to 17 needing a birdie to give myself a chance at a birdie on 18 for 79.
122-yard par 3. Pin is in middle of severely sloped green. My approach wedge is solidly 130. So I figure I'll hit over the flag into the slope and let it roll back down the hill.
Well, I pured one right on line and into the slope. Sits there for a second and then starts coming back down, slowly. There was some jumping up and down time and everyone screaming, but alas, it ended up about four inches left of the hole, pin high. Damn.
But I'll take the birdie. Unfortunately, hit drive just into first cut on the right on 18, but that's enough to force me to whack it off trees the whole way in. So I end up with bogey and 81.
79 still eludes me...

Played today. Was striping my little three-quarter punch driver. That's proving to be more and more useful and consistent.
Putted really well again.
Opened bogey-bogey with some bad luck and then rattled off five straight pars. Yanked a couple wedges on 8 and 9, leading to a bogey on 8 and an ugly double on 9 after fluffing my chip from a tough spot. So 5 over on front.
Bogeyed 10 and then rattled off four straight pars before another ugly double thanks to another yanked wedge followed by another fluffed chip.
Made a solid bogey on 16 after a drive into the water.
Went to 17 needing a birdie to give myself a chance at a birdie on 18 for 79.
122-yard par 3. Pin is in middle of severely sloped green. My approach wedge is solidly 130. So I figure I'll hit over the flag into the slope and let it roll back down the hill.
Well, I pured one right on line and into the slope. Sits there for a second and then starts coming back down, slowly. There was some jumping up and down time and everyone screaming, but alas, it ended up about four inches left of the hole, pin high. Damn.
But I'll take the birdie. Unfortunately, hit drive just into first cut on the right on 18, but that's enough to force me to whack it off trees the whole way in. So I end up with bogey and 81.
79 still eludes me...
I don't know whether to give you the like or cry emoji :)

I will say my new swing flops and bunkers are all of a sudden an issue, where they used to be stronger parts of my game. Even today I just hit everything too far

i went 39/49 today. i hate golf
See - if you flip it like what happened to me you'd feel more positive :)
I've had time to reflect on what went wrong on the back 9 and I should have been playing smart golf and going for the middle of the greens as opposed to going at flags. Pin positions were tough and small misses on the wrong side were penal; the worst part is I play this course every other weekend and I should know these greens much better. It's crazy how much the mental game goes up as the handicap goes down :wall:

I don't know if it's old age but my green reading is not as good as it used to be. It was a pride of my game. Most of my misses have been bad reads not putts

I don't know if it's old age but my green reading is not as good as it used to be. It was a pride of my game. Most of my misses have been bad reads not putts
I've been really trying to study the green as much as possible on the walk up. That can net you some really important info.
Well yeah. I mean I know how to read a green, even dabble in aimpoint here and there, but I'm definitely over playing breaks or reading them badly :)

Anyone played with oversized grips?

I think I like standard for irons but midsize for woods. I just bought a used club stuff a jumbo and it feels like a tennis racket.

Midsize seems like the Goldilocks Zone for wood grips.

Anyone played with oversized grips?

I think I like standard for irons but midsize for woods. I just bought a used club stuff a jumbo and it feels like a tennis racket.

Midsize seems like the Goldilocks Zone for wood grips.

I bounce between mid and standard with extra wrap

My brother, despite being a pretty big guy at 6'3ish and 200 lbs, has tiny little baby hands. Its hilarious. Any time it gets brought up, anyone who hasn't seen them up-close is like "oh yeah sure...whatever Jake". Then he holds them up to some 5'5 girl and they're BARELY bigger and everyone has a good chuckle.

I've always thought it would be hilarious if i could snag his clubs from the bag room, have them re-gripped with JUST enough extra wrapping so that its not noticeable at a glance and see what happens. Unfortunately, he uses white grips, so brand new ones would be really obvious just by looking at them. :kicksrock:

And no, I do not know if OTHER parts of his body are also freakishly small. He swears up and down that is NOT the case (as that is obviously the follow up question that everyone asks).....

i went 39/49 today. i hate golf
See - if you flip it like what happened to me you'd feel more positive :)
I've had time to reflect on what went wrong on the back 9 and I should have been playing smart golf and going for the middle of the greens as opposed to going at flags. Pin positions were tough and small misses on the wrong side were penal; the worst part is I play this course every other weekend and I should know these greens much better. It's crazy how much the mental game goes up as the handicap goes down :wall:
Nah you just needed whisky at the turn.

Bought a 2-PW set of surprisingly good condition early 1980s Wilson Staff FG-17 irons off Facebook Marketplace for $60. The grips have been on them for at least 30 years so will need to be replaced, but should be fun to mess around with. Butter knives compared to most modern irons.

Guy selling them was probably in his late 70s early 80s. Had a storage garage full of old clubs and bags. I picked them up over my noon hour, but would have loved to browse around a little longer. Also bought a 90s Odyssey putter.

Had our first Coast Guard tourney of the year today and I went 45/42, with my 12-handicap playing I'll be in the running to win the thing. First 3 holes I played 1 over and then we played the next 5 holes in a hailstorm, made for some interesting golf, and putting was an adventure. No one was going low over that hour, but I preferred the hail to rain as it wasn't as sticky wet as it could have been. I was actually pretty happy with the 42 as the back 9 had a steady wind in the 15-mph range with some gusts over 20.

Oh, and I took Zow's advice and had a whiskey and a beer at the turn and that helped with warmth and distance.
There's a fine line. I know when I crossed that line when my long lag putts are horrible. Then I know it was too much whiskey :)

Going to be mid 50s the next couple of days in eastern Nebraska. I won't make it to the course, but I'm going to setup the net and mat outside. Will be nice to get some swings in after a long layoff.

Really enjoyed golf today in spite of some brutal wind. 60-70 outside over the course of the round. I was playing bogey golf through 8...but kinda fell apart from there. Sam ball through the front 9, lost like 1 per hole for the next 5 holes. Still did decently though (97 overall) including dropping a 40 foot putt to birdie 18 which felt amazing.

Little under the weather and was tired, so honestly feel great about how it went. I'm going to have to learn course management, but my drives and irons are both WAY improved vs when I look back a year ago. Unfortunately my chipping is letting me down after being my strong suit for so long. Today I had too many that i struck great, but my plan for where to hit it was a dumb plan. Or at a critical moment it would be one of my like 5 bad iron strikes - all 5 were when i needed to just hit good one (e.g., par 3 tee shot, or over water, or a narrow fairway).

Really glad i picked this up. Lot of fun and getting a lot better. The driver in particular has been fantastic (for me) last like 4 times out. Better flight, better distance, mostly not slicing - had a couple toe-y fades but even those were playable in rough.

By the end of this year I want to consistently be in the 80s. That would mean in fall 2021 when I picked it up, i was in the 110s and probably worse because I was scrambling with people and randomly dropping and all that and was on the white tees...right now I'm consistently in the high 90s, even though the group I play with has chosen the blue tees, and even in the last couple months it's 90s with a higher % of good strikes vs 90s with misses that still go pretty straight and don't hurt that much.

If I can get to a handicap of like -17 by end of 2023 I'll feel really proud.

What is the best hcp in your group?

If it's not below say 10 and your tees are your normal red, white blue black none of them should be playing blue....

* I obviously don't know your yardage of your course or par but just my opinion

• Thanks
Reactions: Zow

If it's not below say 10 and your tees are your normal red, white blue black none of them should be playing blue....

i’d hope they are from the that out them around 6300 yards

I think I understand what you are saying. That's why I put the **

My home course whites are ~ 6300. They have a new blue white combo that I like.

I think I understand what you are saying. That's why I put the **

My home course whites are ~ 6300. They have a new blue white combo that I like.
yeah, no idea on elevation or slope but if they are hitting 5 irons plus into most greens then they are on the wrong set with those handicaps. i play out whites at royalty 6300 yds but can play the blue tees at 6600 yds and maybe only lose about 4 strokes as my short game is solid.

Blues at our most common course are 6290, with a 70.5 rating.

Whites are 5825, 68.7 rating

I think a couple of us should play from whites (probably me included) but we've also got a lot of length off the tee. Like 3 of us consistently find fairways at 250-300 yards.

I do gain a lot of strokes on the whites. Like probably 10 (when I play with my other buddy we play whites, he's not even close - struggles to get the ball in the air, likes to just be out and have a beer or five, etc). Because I'm on the low end of our distance off the tee but on the high end with shortgame. It's just that as I learn a lot is also changing. Like since November I've probably gained 50+ yards off the tee and all my irons are getting way more consistent and like 5-10 yards farther.

I figure I care most about having a consistent baseline to see if I'm getting better, so I'm tracking score + a count every round of "bad strikes" + # of putts + fairway accuracy. Open to ideas of other things to try!

All his shots on 17 and 18, but for the drive on 18, were ****ing nails.

I was rooting for Spieth and then Rory, but honestly I think I enjoyed how much this relative no-namer stepped it up after an awful triple with a ball ob by like an inch or two. I say this because I've completely imploded myself in my club championship the last two years when I was "in it" after similar circumstances where I had a ball go ob by like a millimeter (we had to use a laser gun to try to confirm) and had a ball just mysteriously disappear after what seemed like a perfectly fine tee ball into a blind shot.

Playing in a Stableford scoring tournament this weekend. I've played in it once or twice before, but I'm still trying to decide the best strategy. I believe the play is to be overly aggressive (one year I cashed despite poor play because I made two eagles the final round) but I'm open to input.

Below is the scoring. The way it works with handicap is that you start with a net score of 36, then subtract your handicap. For me, this will likely be 6 so my target score is 30 the the goal of obviously going over that (in other words, a + score is actually good in this format).

• 0 Points – Double Bogey or Worse (Two strokes or more over par)
  • 1 Point – Bogey (One stroke over par)
  • 2 Points – Par.
  • 3 Points – Birdie (One stroke under par)
  • 4 Points – Eagle (Two strokes under par)
  • 5 Points – Albatross/Double Eagle (Three strokes under par)

Playing in a Stableford scoring tournament this weekend. I've played in it once or twice before, but I'm still trying to decide the best strategy. I believe the play is to be overly aggressive (one year I cashed despite poor play because I made two eagles the final round) but I'm open to input.

Below is the scoring. The way it works with handicap is that you start with a net score of 36, then subtract your handicap. For me, this will likely be 6 so my target score is 30 the the goal of obviously going over that (in other words, a + score is actually good in this format).

• 0 Points – Double Bogey or Worse (Two strokes or more over par)
  • 1 Point – Bogey (One stroke over par)
  • 2 Points – Par.
  • 3 Points – Birdie (One stroke under par)
  • 4 Points – Eagle (Two strokes under par)
  • 5 Points – Albatross/Double Eagle (Three strokes under par)
Is this a one day or two day event? If it's one day then I'd go balls to the walls but if it's two days I think I'd be more conservative the first day and try and go middle of the greens with my approach shot and not chase flags and then on day two adjust depending on the standings. Is there a side game skins happening as well? If so then I go full balls to the walls both days and chase the skins while not worrying about the scorecard as it will work itself out. Super jealous, our bay area winter has been wet and golf has been sporadic so I'm seriously jonesing for a normal round.

Users who are viewing this thread