What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (1 Viewer)

First what is your hcp/normal score?

I would say that for someone just coming back a fitting at a golf Galaxy/pga superstore will be just fine. Guys there have to learn on how to fit irons for loft and lie and proper shaft flex. Once you get better play more, get a more repetitive swing then you can go "full fitting" and try different weighted shafts, different head shaft combos etc

Eta : my answer for full set vs irons will vary for your goals

If you are decent enough there is no way I buy a box/full set. I leave that for beginners/first set

I would find woods you like, iron set, and whatever wedges you like

Also what budget you working with?

Last edited:

I would say that for someone just coming back a fitting at a golf Galaxy/pga superstore will be just fine. Guys there have to learn on how to fit irons for loft and lie and proper shaft flex. Once you get better play more, get a more repetitive swing then you can go "full fitting" and try different weighted shafts, different head shaft combos etc
I'm just getting back in and my handicap was double digits, so I think I'll take your advice on the basic fitting for input.

Any thoughts on clubs (brands, whole set, etc.)? Best place to buy?

I'm just getting back in and my handicap was double digits, so I think I'll take your advice on the basic fitting for input.

Any thoughts on clubs (brands, whole set, etc.)? Best place to buy?
See my edit....

Golf Galaxy or pga superstore would be my start

Exciting month here so far. My wife had a friend convince her to play - my "yeah if you ever want to play, I'd love that" and then never ever pushing it strategy has worked. She has been building excitement and we got her a beginner set of Callaway Strata and she wants to take a lesson so put her in touch with my coach and she's going tomorrow.

I'm sure we have a lot of opinions here about this being terrible, but I'm really excited. I love spending 3-4 hours out there and hanging out with her since we are often traveling during the week, so if she gets into it and it becomes more of an option on vacations, on both weekend days instead of just one...man that would be wonderful.

Number one rule I have is "I need a lot of help swinging all the clubs so I will not be offering advice."

I would also look here for game improvement irons

My two cents would be to choose hybrids for the lower irons (like 3-6). Many of the newer woods are ridiculously forgiving - I'd say Ping is leading that charge.

Exciting month here so far. My wife had a friend convince her to play - my "yeah if you ever want to play, I'd love that" and then never ever pushing it strategy has worked. She has been building excitement and we got her a beginner set of Callaway Strata and she wants to take a lesson so put her in touch with my coach and she's going tomorrow.

I'm sure we have a lot of opinions here about this being terrible, but I'm really excited. I love spending 3-4 hours out there and hanging out with her since we are often traveling during the week, so if she gets into it and it becomes more of an option on vacations, on both weekend days instead of just one...man that would be wonderful.

Number one rule I have is "I need a lot of help swinging all the clubs so I will not be offering advice."

I'd ask what is the ultimate goal with her golf game? if it's to be out there with you and have fun then when playing I'd seriously debate having her tee up all her shots no matter where she is at (other than the green). I get that most people want to play by the rules but if you're not trying to maintain a handicap and play competitive rounds then why not make it easier for yourself and imrove lies, take the ball out of the bunkers/bad rough, and tee it up in the fairway.

I'd ask what is the ultimate goal with her golf game? if it's to be out there with you and have fun then when playing I'd seriously debate having her tee up all her shots no matter where she is at (other than the green). I get that most people want to play by the rules but if you're not trying to maintain a handicap and play competitive rounds then why not make it easier for yourself and imrove lies, take the ball out of the bunkers/bad rough, and tee it up in the fairway.
This is a fantastic idea.

She also loves driving the cart LOL we'll see if she moves to walking or if half my rounds will be riding now.

She also loves driving the cart LOL we'll see if she moves to walking or if half my rounds will be riding now.
I say this respectfully - if you are holding people up let them play through.......... New players male or female don't always understand pace of play courtesy

I say this respectfully - if you are holding people up let them play through.......... New players male or female don't always understand pace of play courtesy
That is one thing I'm super unconcerned about. Similar to Joe's take upthread with teeing it up - I was taught that pace of play matters and I don't know that I've ever been caught by a group - maybe a solo when I'm in a foursome but thats about it.

The key lever is to just best ball off me until she's consistently playing for an actual score, which is what my friends had me doing when I was learning. Would you do other stuff?

Eighteen holes can be quite a bit for a new golfer. Maybe she just plays nine and then rides the rest or does something else while you play the back.

Also, play a scramble. She gets to hit just as many times but doesn't slow the pace of play if she duffs it.

That is one thing I'm super unconcerned about. Similar to Joe's take upthread with teeing it up - I was taught that pace of play matters and I don't know that I've ever been caught by a group - maybe a solo when I'm in a foursome but thats about it.

The key lever is to just best ball off me until she's consistently playing for an actual score, which is what my friends had me doing when I was learning. Would you do other stuff?
Technically what you're saying here is "scramble," ("best ball" actually refers to the best overall hole score between the two of you) but this is exactly what my wife and I do and it works. We also have an understanding that if she gets frustrated she'll just take a hole or two off and I won't say anything.

ETA: And, yeah, by the turn she's usually just hitting drives and putting once we're to the green. This lack of pressure combined with enough adult beverages makes it a really fun and relaxing experience for us because otherwise she'll get too competitive and angry as she just isn't good enough yet to play her own ball through a hole.

Also - DO NOT take early morning weekend times until you are both playing regularly ........ ;)

Fun/terrible pace of play story from this weekend:

So we are consistently running up into this group of gold ole boys on every tee box. Like we get off the green, they're still not done teeing off. Only 3 of us, 4 of them. But front nine they're like waiting for green to clear on par 4s and then from the whites/reds they hit maybe 200 yards. Ridiculous ****. By 10, I think the group in front had either not stopped for a beer or hot dog, or had left, because on ten there was a hole and a half open in front of these guys. At no point do we say anything rude, or really much of anything actually, we just keep a respectful distance off the tees each hole, don't talk when they hit, and toss out a "nice shot" or similar when they have a good one.

We get to this par 4 12th hole, which is a dog leg left, green is on a bit of a hill, water down behind it on the right side, cart path on the left continues to 13th hole.

They're on the green, we tee off, we're just taking our time like crazy now, and I'm fairly annoyed. Playing really well since like hole 7 after a rough 3-6 holes. I've got a great shot at the green, shot it at like 150 to the flag which is way up, so I'm debating an 8 or a 7, given the 7 will be more like center of the green...just in my head trying to make a good decision here.

I look up, and they're off the green. I had a pretty good drive so in an unusual turn of events, I am not away, so I look across the fairway to my buddy setting up, and he either pured the bejeezus out of one or caught a flier lie, because a beautiful shot looks like it's going to sail the green by about five yards into the water...and I rip the loudest FORE I've ever done because I see a cart top on the side of the green, by the water, opposite the cart path and it's right in the line of fire. Well, two seconds later there's a nice THUNK as the ball scores a direct hit on the cart.

Which is weird, because even I watched them clear the green, replace the flag, and can see their second cart another 50 yards away around the corner by the next tee box. Given we watched them clear, and can see the other cart, I think it was safe to assume the second cart was behind it, also in the next tee box...but this guy is just still sitting next to the green, on the downside of the hill, basically impossible to see for my playing partner. In a place where to get the cart there, he had to have driven across the green too - there's not space to drive around it to the water side.

Guy gets out and loses his mind, throws the ball in the lake off to the side, and drives over the middle of the green to the next hole. The other two guys came up and were like "how the hell was there a cart there?" which I also didn't understand.

So we play out the hole (For those who care, I chose the 7 iron, but hit it absolutely perfect, so instead of center green i was more like far side of the green about 80 feet away, but first putt got e to like 3 feet - absolutely beautiful pace, and drained the 2-putt for par!!! 8-iron woulda been a birdie putt). and make our way towards the next tee box. This is at least 5 minutes later.

THESE GUYS ARE THERE WAITING. And the old asshat gets our of the cart and just starts yelling at us. So does his partner. Says the ball hit him, losing his mind, cursing up a storm. I calmly said to the partner the key details, roughly: an apology, an ask as to why they were still greenside so long, and a quick pointing out that they weren't visible. And he goes, "Oh." Still pissed, but face gets red, quiets down a bit.

Other guy finishes yelling, my playing partner matched him - and let's just say that as two dudes in their early 30s in decent shape vs this guy who had to be at least 60, there was no fear of an altercation LOL. So when he finally finishes, I just calmly said, "Would y'all mind if we play through? Two holes open in front of you now, maybe we just avoid this situation entirely?"

That went over about as well as you could expect...except then they did not take a tee shot, drove all the way to the green (longest par 5 on course) and got far enough ahead that we didn't catch them again.

Were we in the wrong? What would you do differently?

Also - DO NOT take early morning weekend times until you are both playing regularly ........ ;)
Good call. When's the right time to feel ok going out with her? My every-week group usually goes between 8-9, which would be too early with her, and most of my weekday rounds I call up a pro shop the day before, ask when the first tee time is, and see if they'll let me go 10-15 mins before that solo and I get a 3-hr round in.

Like noon on a weekend?

Technically what you're saying here is "scramble," ("best ball" actually refers to the best overall hole score between the two of you) but this is exactly what my wife and I do and it works. We also have an understanding that if she gets frustrated she'll just take a hole or two off and I won't say anything.

ETA: And, yeah, by the turn she's usually just hitting drives and putting once we're to the green. This lack of pressure combined with enough adult beverages makes it a really fun and relaxing experience for us because otherwise she'll get too competitive and angry as she just isn't good enough yet to play her own ball through a hole.
Scramble - got it haha. Thanks :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Zow

Good call. When's the right time to feel ok going out with her? My every-week group usually goes between 8-9, which would be too early with her, and most of my weekday rounds I call up a pro shop the day before, ask when the first tee time is, and see if they'll let me go 10-15 mins before that solo and I get a 3-hr round in.

Like noon on a weekend?
i'd say anything after 11ish on the weekend..... the members/"hard core" usually go 7-10 ... at least the courses I've belonged too

I'm not saying you did this but there is nothing that drives me more insane then someone who can't wait the extra 5 seconds for me to drive away.

It also drives me insane when you sit in the cart filling out your score card do that at the next tee. Put your **** in your bag and drive off.

And don't flirt with the beverage cart girl creep-o. I don't care what movies you've seen, it ain't happening.

And you're clearly not playing league - so there's no need to line up and/or mark your two foot putt...PICK IT UP!

Like noon on a weekend?
i'd say anything after 11ish on the weekend..... the members/"hard core" usually go 7-10 ... at least the courses I've belonged too
Yep. I usually take my wife out in the afternoons.

Eighteen holes can be quite a bit for a new golfer. Maybe she just plays nine and then rides the rest or does something else while you play the back.

Also, play a scramble. She gets to hit just as many times but doesn't slow the pace of play if she duffs it.
That's someone's daughter, pal!

Fun/terrible pace of play story from this weekend:

So we are consistently running up into this group of gold ole boys on every tee box. Like we get off the green, they're still not done teeing off. Only 3 of us, 4 of them. But front nine they're like waiting for green to clear on par 4s and then from the whites/reds they hit maybe 200 yards. Ridiculous ****. By 10, I think the group in front had either not stopped for a beer or hot dog, or had left, because on ten there was a hole and a half open in front of these guys. At no point do we say anything rude, or really much of anything actually, we just keep a respectful distance off the tees each hole, don't talk when they hit, and toss out a "nice shot" or similar when they have a good one.

We get to this par 4 12th hole, which is a dog leg left, green is on a bit of a hill, water down behind it on the right side, cart path on the left continues to 13th hole.

They're on the green, we tee off, we're just taking our time like crazy now, and I'm fairly annoyed. Playing really well since like hole 7 after a rough 3-6 holes. I've got a great shot at the green, shot it at like 150 to the flag which is way up, so I'm debating an 8 or a 7, given the 7 will be more like center of the green...just in my head trying to make a good decision here.

I look up, and they're off the green. I had a pretty good drive so in an unusual turn of events, I am not away, so I look across the fairway to my buddy setting up, and he either pured the bejeezus out of one or caught a flier lie, because a beautiful shot looks like it's going to sail the green by about five yards into the water...and I rip the loudest FORE I've ever done because I see a cart top on the side of the green, by the water, opposite the cart path and it's right in the line of fire. Well, two seconds later there's a nice THUNK as the ball scores a direct hit on the cart.

Which is weird, because even I watched them clear the green, replace the flag, and can see their second cart another 50 yards away around the corner by the next tee box. Given we watched them clear, and can see the other cart, I think it was safe to assume the second cart was behind it, also in the next tee box...but this guy is just still sitting next to the green, on the downside of the hill, basically impossible to see for my playing partner. In a place where to get the cart there, he had to have driven across the green too - there's not space to drive around it to the water side.

Guy gets out and loses his mind, throws the ball in the lake off to the side, and drives over the middle of the green to the next hole. The other two guys came up and were like "how the hell was there a cart there?" which I also didn't understand.

So we play out the hole (For those who care, I chose the 7 iron, but hit it absolutely perfect, so instead of center green i was more like far side of the green about 80 feet away, but first putt got e to like 3 feet - absolutely beautiful pace, and drained the 2-putt for par!!! 8-iron woulda been a birdie putt). and make our way towards the next tee box. This is at least 5 minutes later.

THESE GUYS ARE THERE WAITING. And the old asshat gets our of the cart and just starts yelling at us. So does his partner. Says the ball hit him, losing his mind, cursing up a storm. I calmly said to the partner the key details, roughly: an apology, an ask as to why they were still greenside so long, and a quick pointing out that they weren't visible. And he goes, "Oh." Still pissed, but face gets red, quiets down a bit.

Other guy finishes yelling, my playing partner matched him - and let's just say that as two dudes in their early 30s in decent shape vs this guy who had to be at least 60, there was no fear of an altercation LOL. So when he finally finishes, I just calmly said, "Would y'all mind if we play through? Two holes open in front of you now, maybe we just avoid this situation entirely?"

That went over about as well as you could expect...except then they did not take a tee shot, drove all the way to the green (longest par 5 on course) and got far enough ahead that we didn't catch them again.

Were we in the wrong? What would you do differently?
Drove over the green in the cart? Excuse me? What backwater place is this? I would've focused more on that than a ball hitting them.

Playing TPC Harding Park on Friday, I doubt we get tournament conditions but I'm expecting the rough to be even more penial than normal with the LPGA international crown tourney coming 3 weeks later. I've held off playing there for a while but I think my short game is finally dialed in and I won't get overly frustrated out there. Hopefully the wind cooperates and isn't blowing hard.

Handicap holding firm at 12.8 and have really started to play smart golf :wall: minimizing the big numbers and really working on just hitting fades with my driver and drawing my irons. I've also quit going at flags, center of the green and 2 putt par/bogey instead of short siding myself and bringing doubles into play. Ecco Biom 3's are worth the money.

Best round yet this morning! It's amazing what being focused and serious about things can do, plus being able to play at your own pace.

Shot a +19 91. I recognize that's not good, writ large, but it's good for me. Putted fantastic - only one 3-putt, and made 18/19 putts under 7 feet. Irons were working, my 54 wedge was finally back to how it used to be (was my best club all last year and the year before) and got me a few up and downs for bogey or par. Also made a couple adjustments: 1) go at middle of greens instead of pins, I'm not so good as to just go right at every pin, 2) consistent swing thought of balance in legs and rotate vs lean. Both things helped a ton.

Total round from tee-off to off the 18th green was 2:47. Nothing better than going with nobody in front to slow me down and just playing at a natural pace (walking too, btw!).

Lots of room to improve too. only 43% of fairways (I really need to figure out the driver - I've started to gain distance but a slice is creeping in which has never been my miss), 34 putts (could easily be lower with some better approaches for more 1-putt chances vs like 40+ foot lags), no birdies, and only 22% GIR.

Also played some of my best golf if my life today. Huge tournament with thousands on the line and my partner got so hammered he couldn’t stand up on the first box.

We were down six at the turn but I singlehandedly tied it on 18 with a snaked forty footer downhill. We lost on home 22. My partner’s score mattered on exactly one hole. I shot 76 and gave them everything I had.

5-yr-old's game update...started playing our big boy course in Feb with weekly 9-hole rounds, now have played our 1st 18-hole round. He's legitimately broken 50 (49) from his tees (2133 yards), putting everything out. He can hit every green in reg except 3 holes...2 long par 5s and a long par 3...but getting closer every week.

VIDEO: Rotation and contact is really good...need to work on finishing on his left foot.
I remember when I was that flexible
No kidding...I'm watching closely and trying to copy. He was actually stopping at parallel but then we agreed he should just try to crush it...for now at least.

Also played some of my best golf if my life today. Huge tournament with thousands on the line and my partner got so hammered he couldn’t stand up on the first box.

We were down six at the turn but I singlehandedly tied it on 18 with a snaked forty footer downhill. We lost on home 22. My partner’s score mattered on exactly one hole. I shot 76 and gave them everything I had.
I would be so pissed at a friend for that.

Yeah, its not ideal

My brother and I played in a year long 4 ball tournament a couple of years ago. Got to the semi-finals against 2 older guys (and we were giving them some strokes) and we were down 2 at the turn.

Then the better of the 2 had one too many and it all hit him on the 11th green. Long challenging par 3 so both of us hit mediocre shots. Dude was greenside and all he had to do was chip and 2 putts to push the hole. Instead, he blows his chip off the back. Still in ok shape but then....while starting to wobble, he nearly misses the putt back into the green and the ball only goes about 8 inches. We won the hole, it pissed his partner off something fierce (throwing him on tilt) and we proceeded to win the next 5 holes to close them out on the 16th green.

Of course, we lost on the 18th hole of the finals to a net eagle...... :wall: and then didn't qualify last year :kicksrock:

played harding park this morning, it’s always fun to play courses that have hosted major events. The rough was the most penal rough i’ve ever been in and the fairways were no more than 40 yards wide. They’ve moved them in and shagged them out getting ready for the lpga event in a few weeks. they also moved around some tees and had 1 greeen closed. I shot a 40 on the first 9 with 2 doubles mixed in after some poor tee shots and getting stuck in the rough. I was pissed going into the back 9 as i should have been 2 over and not 4, what an idiot I am :wall: as the back 9 dominated me and I forgot how to chip. 49 on the back with no short game to be found, golf sucks but it was a nice walk at least

So, and I wouldn’t have believed this except I saw it happen to another guy, apparently he had some recovery IV thing before our first competitive round where the IV reacted badly and sent him to space. I thought he was just sneaking hard alcohol but apparently some people react badly to the IVs.

What’s frustrating is that he had just played somewhat normal we’d be 2-1 right now and due to tiebreaks likely in our flight’s championship.

The Keisers are going to build a Bandon style resort an hour outside Denver. 2 courses already planned (Core/Crenshaw for one and their former assistant is building the other) with room for 6 at some point.

Pretty amped about this. We're already planning to go to Bandon in 2025 but this would obviously be MUCH more convenient. The site looks awesome and my brother lives in Colorado (so it would give me a better excuse to visit)

The Keisers are going to build a Bandon style resort an hour outside Denver. 2 courses already planned (Core/Crenshaw for one and their former assistant is building the other) with room for 6 at some point.

Pretty amped about this. We're already planning to go to Bandon in 2025 but this would obviously be MUCH more convenient. The site looks awesome and my brother lives in Colorado (so it would give me a better excuse to visit)
My golf groups also all over this and excited about it.

Played a few times this week. Getting better at avoiding blowup holes that kill my score. On Saturday shot a 7 over 43 and hit the ball really well but couldn't make a putt. I had 21 putts. Today I shot a 6 over 42 on same course, with 17 putts. Windy day today which screwed up several approach shots that I hit well, just didn't choose right club.

Only 1 double bogey on Saturday and none today. Driver is much more consistent, hit 6 of 7 fairways today. Hit green on 3 of last 4 par threes. Pretty soon I am going to have things go my way and will shoot in the 30s.

My golf groups also all over this and excited about it.

Obviously you dont get the coastal aspect (which is a huge part of the appeal of Bandon). But you still get huge dunes (which I'm sure they'll set up to play firm and fast) and I'm sure the mountain views will be spectacular. The travel is 10 million times easier with Denver being such an easy place to get to. Add in the fact that the weather will probably be more cooperative (far less chance of "blow you off the planet" wind) and this will probably be an absolute home run.

Who the hell knows when you'll actually be able to get in there. I'm sure every golfer who doesn't want to wait 2 years for Bandon or Sand Valley is thinking the same thing. And with "only" 2 courses at first, tee times will obviously be at a premium.

I’m playing as a sub in a marin county league, they play 9 holes every tuesday and one of two courses. i subbed tuesday night and they gave me as a 10 handicap for 9, the other 3 were 18’s. Needless to say they were terrible but i par’d the first and then had a ******** kick off a tree and tripled the second. even with that triple I won the hole and then played the rest of the front 9 1 over. Definitely one of my better front 9’s on that course but they play the white tees and not the blues which shortened it about 200 yards. i’m ready for summer roll out on drives and trying to shoot even par on a side, 1 over is my current low 9 the day i shot 79. next round i’m sure i’ll shoot 48 out there :wall:

Well good new bad news so far this year.

Bad
Started out with a couple monsters numbers to start the season.
Back is flaring up, had to cut out my golfforever until i finally go to a doctor - not hitting the ball as far because of it also topping/thinning shots because I can't turn through the ball

That being said the Good
On a whole playing a lot more consistent
Not my old good swing but I'm scrapping together numbers that are clustered 79-83 are my last 5 rounds. And many of those rounds its 3 or 4 skulls/tops that cost me, or for some reason my putter lets me down.
Scrambling a lot more but recovering well
Bunker game has been lights out since i made an adjustment

That is all

Last edited:
Well good new bad news so far this year.

Bad
Started out with a couple monsters numbers to start the season.
Back is flaring up, had to cut out my golfforever until i finally go to a doctor - not hitting the ball as far because of it also topping/thinning shots because I can't turn through the ball

That being said the Good
On a whole playing a lot more consistent
Not my old good swing but I'm scrapping together numbers that are clustered 79-83 are my last 5 rounds. And many of those rounds its 3 or 4 skulls/tops that cost me, or for some reason my putter lets me down.
Scrambling a lot more but recovering well
Bunker game has been lights out since i made an adjustment

That is all
What'd you adjust?

Users who are viewing this thread