What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2023 Pro Cycling Thread*** - The Vuelta will be a Primoz, Vigo, G, Remco mosh pit (2 Viewers)

Sand

Footballguy
Might as well kick this off. Been watching a bit of the spring classics. Pidcock was ridiculous in a 50k breakaway in the Strade Bianchi (and the sprint finish in the women's race was pretty awesome).

But, holy crap, in today's Tirreno Adriatico TT Ganna blew the field away - in a 12 minute time trial he won by 30 seconds - 34.5mph average. That's not human.

The best part of the year is coming - Milan San Remo, Paris Roubaix, Liege Bastogne Liege. Color me biased, but the 3 minutes up the Mur de Huy is the best cycling has to offer.

Oh, and Neilson Powless won the Étoile de Bessèges - not the biggest stage race, but a big, big victory for a USA cyclist. We have some great talent these days - Powless, Sheffield, Simmons, McNulty, and a raft of others. Great time to cheer for the US in this sport.

Last edited:
The second monument, Ronde de Vlaanderen, is this weekend.

:popcorn:
As usual Tadej was insane. Dude just gets faster. And Nielsen finished fifth, Matteo finished ninth. US is really coming up and one of those two, if they're riding, could be a surprise in Paris Roubaix. Particularly Jorgenson, who is a bit beefier than Nielson.

Paris Roubaix this Sunday!
Gotta be MVdP, right?
Wout 7/2
MVdP 4/1
Mads 11/2
Ganna 17/2
Baarle 10/1

I think Wout finally gets his - he's been unlucky in this race. I'd love to see Ganna pull a Cancellara and run away here; he has the power to do something like that and it would be awesome to see. Heart goes to Nielsen, who has every shot. Lately it's been strong support type folks that have grabbed a chance and taken off, not the favorites. He's on form and I expect to see him at the pointy end, at least.

Raining cats and dogs here, so watched some of the women's Paris Roubaix. Well worth it to watch the last 25k or so. It was really good (and I normally don't find the women that compelling).

Men's was kind of a letdown. One big crash, one flat tire (WVA), one forced off the road (Degenkolb) and this thing kind of wrote itself for the one lucky guy who didn't get taken out. C-

Men's was kind of a letdown. One big crash, one flat tire (WVA), one forced off the road (Degenkolb) and this thing kind of wrote itself for the one lucky guy who didn't get taken out. C-

I'm kind of surprised how guys can just ride away. I suppose the crashes just create so much chaos that teams can't get organized.

I'm kind of surprised how guys can just ride away. I suppose the crashes just create so much chaos that teams can't get organized.
It's that way every year. Big, strong guys with semi-infinite power just motor away. It's one of the things that makes this race so special - very different kind of riders excel here. To be fair MVdP was going to be one of the guys at the pointy end and may have won anyway. The crash and Wout's flat really took the competitive part out of it. I would have loved to see those two sprint it out in the Velodrome.

BTW, next up is Liege Bastogne Liege. In many ways my favorite. This race all centers on a brutal little climb in Huy. In this one it isn't always the pure climbers, but the explosive climbers that have a shot. Remco, Tadej, Primoz, Alaphilippe, etc. Valverde used to crush this. At 41 he finished second last year, I think. Amazing.

BTW, super huge congrats on that 40 mile run you pulled off a bit back!

BTW, super huge congrats on that 40 mile run you pulled off a bit back!
Thanks. I saw your post and haven't had time to reply

Fleche Wallone - the dominator continues to dominate. Wasn't even close. Sheesh.
And in Liege Bastogne Liege Tadej gets surgery while Remco just rides away from the field. Seriously these three or four guys are just miles ahead of the rest.

Sadly that's the end of the Classics season. On the Giro!

Last edited:
Fleche Wallone - the dominator continues to dominate. Wasn't even close. Sheesh.
And in Liege Bastogne Liege Tadej gets surgery while Remco just rides away from the field. Seriously these three or four guys are just miles ahead of the rest.

Kind of disappointing we aren't getting a Remco/Vingard/Tadei showdown in July.

I believe Remco has always aimed at the Giro this year. So we have Remco/Primoz and then Tadej/Jonas. That sounds pretty good, though all four at the same time would be awesome, I agree.

IMO, Tadej is going to destroy the TdF this year. Wins by 7+ minutes.

I believe Remco has always aimed at the Giro this year. So we have Remco/Primoz and then Tadej/Jonas. That sounds pretty good, though all four at the same time would be awesome, I agree.

IMO, Tadej is going to destroy the TdF this year. Wins by 7+ minutes.
What is the recovery timeline for an injure like his? He will be back by then, but will he be 100%?

How bad is the wrist. I watched LBL But they didn’t have any info yet.

How bad is the wrist. I watched LBL But they didn’t have any info yet.
According to this, he is out for 5 to 6 weeks with a 8 to12 week recovery timeframe... which could be pushing it :shrug:

Are we firing up a fantasy league for the Giro?

League Details

League Owner: Jaysus
League Name: GBFBG
League Code: 72343875

@cheeseypoof
@DA RAIDERS
@Nick Vermeil
@Sand
I actually had completely forgotten that it starts Saturday.

:excited:

Trying to decide if I want to get a month of GCN+ or the full year?

Will have to sign up for Peacock to watch TDF, right? Then in late August I could do another of GCN+ for the Vuelta I guess?

Annual would be cheaper per month but not really sure if it’s worth it year round. Anybody else have this dilemma or wanna sell me on GCN+?

Will have to sign up for Peacock to watch TDF, right? Then in late August I could do another of GCN+ for the Vuelta I guess?

Annual would be cheaper per month but not really sure if it’s worth it year round. Anybody else have this dilemma or wanna sell me on GCN+?
I’m pretty sure the Vuelta is still on Peacock. Besides the Giro, GCN+ is only really good for cyclocross.

I’m pretty sure the Vuelta is still on Peacock. Besides the Giro, GCN+ is only really good for cyclocross.

my first Google result for “how to watch 2023 Vuelta in U.S.”

Vuelta a España 2023 Official Broadcasters
  1. Fubo TV (USA)
  2. RTVE (Spain, Free)
  3. Peacock (UK)
  4. Cycling. today (International)
  5. GCN+ (International)
  6. FloBikes (Canada)
  7. Eurosport.
  8. SBS (Australia, Free)

my first Google result for “how to watch 2023 Vuelta in U.S.”

Vuelta a España 2023 Official Broadcasters
  1. Fubo TV (USA)
  2. RTVE (Spain, Free)
  3. Peacock (UK)
  4. Cycling. today (International)
  5. GCN+ (International)
  6. FloBikes (Canada)
  7. Eurosport.
  8. SBS (Australia, Free)
Peacock has the ASO event rights through 2029 of which Espana is (it’s also why the classics coverage sucks). Maybe they offloaded them to Fubo, but I sort of doubt it. GCN+ is definitely not though.

I'm doing monthly on GCN - the spring is good with some of the classics and then the Giro. I'll cut it off an pick back up with the Vuelta if it ends up on GCN again.

I bought Peacock as it was $20 for the year. Between cycling and the Premier League that's good value.

/in

how can we watch it?

Youtube extended highlights will be available in the evening. For the classics and many of the Tour stages last year that was 30-40 minutes of coverage. I thought it was kind of a sweet spot for catching the action. Once you dump the commercials and 50k of the Peleton keeping the break pegged between 3-5 minutes you're down to 30-40 minutes anyway.

Maybe make this a spoiler free thread until 9-10PM eastern? Or post away and stay away until you watch each day?

/in

how can we watch it?

Youtube extended highlights will be available in the evening. For the classics and many of the Tour stages last year that was 30-40 minutes of coverage. I thought it was kind of a sweet spot for catching the action. Once you dump the commercials and 50k of the Peleton keeping the break pegged between 3-5 minutes you're down to 30-40 minutes anyway.

Maybe make this a spoiler free thread until 9-10PM eastern? Or post away and stay away until you watch each day?
So what's the consensus here guys?

/in

how can we watch it?

I’m good with not posting until 9pm ET.

/in

how can we watch it?

I’m good with not posting until 9pm ET.
I agree. Majority rules.

No same day Giro posts until 9pm EDT time.

anybody else watching the TT live today?

They got these fancy spoiler tag thingys. Wow that is crazy. What are these things all about then eh?

Users who are viewing this thread