What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official - 2024 Major League Baseball Thread - Mahomes is Better At Baseball Than Jose Abreu*** (9 Viewers)

So Red Sox trade away Sale and Verdugo this off-season but signed Giolito to a 40m deal. What a horrible off-season.
Sale will be 35 in March and hasn't had an ace-level season in a while. Maybe he's still got one in him, but you could say the same for Giolito, who's 5+ years younger, more durable, and was really good from 2019-21.

Verdugo's nothing special. Selling him low to the Yankees was a bit odd, but buying low on Tyler O'Neill kinda evens that out. Grissom is very promising and a nice return for Sale.

I wouldn't call that horrible by any stretch. They seem to be spending with the luxury tax in mind, so that's a concern, but the moves themselves are fine.

I'm curious to see how the Braves use Sale. He's had trouble staying healthy but showed spurts of his old effectiveness last year. If he's amenable to it, modern pitching staff usage gives a bunch of options that may be better than taking your chances at 5 innings every 5 days. He started as a closer for the White Sox a couple of months after college and could be a late innings weapon in his late career.

As for Giolito, the Giants have done a bunch of those two year starting pitcher deals with an opt-out. They don't involve much commitment for the team but the best case scenario is the guy signing somewhere else next winter.

Pouring one out for Michael Brantley who announced his retirement today at age 36.

He went from a PTBNL in the C.C. Sabathia trade to a solid contributor on a bunch of good clubs in Cleveland and Houston. He seemed like a good dude; I'm glad he finally got a ring with the Astros even though he wasn't active in the 2022 post-season.

Injuries sapped his value in his 30s but he was still productive when healthy. When a player retires with a .298 career BA, the logical assumption is his average fell off during his decline. That wasn't the case for Brantley--his career BA was never over .300 except for a September cup of coffee in his age 22 season. .298 was as close as he ever got to the milestone.

His B-R comps include a bunch of familiar names.
  1. Shannon Stewart (943.4)
  2. Gregg Jefferies (937.2)
  3. Jeff Cirillo (919.2)
  4. Sean Casey (919.2)
  5. Frank McCormick (912.6)
  6. Marlon Byrd (911.2)
  7. Darin Erstad (910.8)
  8. Daniel Murphy (909.8)
  9. Mike Greenwell (907.3)
  10. Pete Fox (905.5)

Giants send Mitch Haniger back to Seattle along with Anthony DeSclafani for a rehabbing Robbie Ray.

Haniger's Giants career was brief and forgettable. Tony Disco has had trouble staying healthy.

Ray is a mystery package behind door #2. He probably won't pitch before mid-season but has the highest ceiling of everyone in the trade. It's definitely a high risk maneuver on the Giants' part.

Giants send Mitch Haniger back to Seattle along with Anthony DeSclafani for a rehabbing Robbie Ray.

Haniger's Giants career was brief and forgettable. Tony Disco has had trouble staying healthy.

Ray is a mystery package behind door #2. He probably won't pitch before mid-season but has the highest ceiling of everyone in the trade. It's definitely a high risk maneuver on the Giants' part.
What’s the high risk? Diminished future payroll flexibility? Doesn’t seem like that’s a huge issue for SF.

What’s the high risk? Diminished future payroll flexibility? Doesn’t seem like that’s a huge issue for SF.

Fair point. They're just taking on salary and aren't giving up much of anything.

Ray was a high variance pitcher before the injury although he seemed to have solved his command issues. There are two downside risks. One is he can't recover from TJS and takes up payroll space for three years. The other is he impresses in his partial 2024 season and decides to opt-out.

Man they gonna bury Wander Franco under the jail. DR authorities allege he paid the 14 year old mom’s off so he could continue raping her daughter with the mom allegedly knowing. Just shoot them both.

Man they gonna bury Wander Franco under the jail. DR authorities allege he paid the 14 year old mom’s off so he could continue raping her daughter with the mom allegedly knowing. Just shoot them both.

And yet they let him out of jail. Gotta wonder if he's going to flea with all his money at some point.

And yet they let him out of jail. Gotta wonder if he's going to flea with all his money at some point.
He’s probably got really good lawyers. I kinda wonder if he could pull an OJ and get away with it.

His MLB career is over regardless. Teams aren’t touching Bauer and this is like a thousand times worse.

He’s probably got really good lawyers. I kinda wonder if he could pull an OJ and get away with it.

His MLB career is over regardless. Teams aren’t touching Bauer and this is like a thousand times worse.

He'd probably be better served by using his money as bribes to get off with a light sentence than to become an international fugitive.

There are two downside risks. One is he can't recover from TJS and takes up payroll space for three years. The other is he impresses in his partial 2024 season and decides to opt-out.

I'd say that either of these two options are more likely than the one that Giants fans want .. that he pitches well in his partial season and opts in. If he plays out his current contract, he will be 35 when it is done, but not likely to cash in when he signs a new contract. Or at least not cash in as well as a 33 year old pitcher who had a good half-season.

There are two downside risks. One is he can't recover from TJS and takes up payroll space for three years. The other is he impresses in his partial 2024 season and decides to opt-out.

I'd say that either of these two options are more likely than the one that Giants fans want .. that he pitches well in his partial season and opts in. If he plays out his current contract, he will be 35 when it is done, but not likely to cash in when he signs a new contract. Or at least not cash in as well as a 33 year old pitcher who had a good half-season.

The last two years of Ray's contract are for $25M. That's basically the same AAV as Sonny Gray and Aaron Nola got this off-season. I'd expect Montgomery to slot in around that figure as well.

If the Giants get a half season from Ray and he walks, they'll at least get a compensation pick out of it and they'll be out from $15M of Haniger's 2025 salary. Farhan also gets another 40 man roster slot to play with which is probably the main reason he made the deal in the first place :rolleyes:

The last two years of Ray's contract are for $25M. That's basically the same AAV as Sonny Gray and Aaron Nola got this off-season. I'd expect Montgomery to slot in around that figure as well.

If the Giants get a half season from Ray and he walks, they'll at least get a compensation pick out of it and they'll be out from $15M of Haniger's 2025 salary. Farhan also gets another 40 man roster slot to play with which is probably the main reason he made the deal in the first place :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm hoping that Farhan is looking for a job at that point. I know, not likely, but still.

Bauer will sign somewhere for a cheap one year deal. I'm kind of hoping the Yankees go after him

Dodgers sign Teoscar Hernandez to a 1-year $23.5M deal ($8.5M deferred until 2030-2039). Another great get for LA, made possible with all that crazy deferred $ for Ohtani.

No they can't. The Dodgers make $335 million dollars a year just in their TV contract.

This is what's driving the spending disparity this offseason. The Dodgers' huge local broadcast deal runs until 2039 and importantly was made with the parent company of Charter rather than a LLC. While a lot of clubs see their local media revenue stream in jeopardy because of the implosion of the Bally/Sinclair regional sports networks, the Dodgers have long-term certainty even as cable declines. Charter itself would have to go into bankruptcy for the payments to stop.

Regularly filling the biggest stadium in the league doesn't hurt either.

Dodgers have outspent all other teams so far this winter. Combined.
Shrewd GMing.

I'm geographically required to hate the Dodgers but I have to admit their organization is very impressive. They perennially have a top ten farm system in spite of poor draft position and some trading off of prospects. They don't seem to lose many trades although they wouldn't need Teoscar if they held on to Yordan Alvarez.

I'm geographically required to hate the Dodgers but I have to admit their organization is very impressive. They perennially have a top ten farm system in spite of poor draft position and some trading off of prospects. They don't seem to lose many trades although they wouldn't need Teoscar if they held on to Yordan Alvarez.
They should have a great farm system since they probably spend 10 times the money on scouting and player development than any other team. And if they miss on players, they can go buy a few.

The Athletic had an article about 40 year old FA Joey Votto and his desire to keep playing. He has given zero consideration to retirement and is literally waiting by the phone for a call.

Even as bad as his year seemed, he still put up a 99 OPS+.

His hometown Blue Jays would appear to be a good fit. He could spell Vladdy against a tough right-hander every now and then, as well as DH'ing.

The Athletic had an article about 40 year old FA Joey Votto and his desire to keep playing. He has given zero consideration to retirement and is literally waiting by the phone for a call.

His hometown Blue Jays would appear to be a good fit. He could spell Vladdy against a tough right-hander every now and then, as well as DH'ing.

There are a bunch of unsigned 1B/DH types out there. Teams are valuing guys who can play multiple positions to provide flexibility to optimize L/R matchups and be able to cycle regulars through the DH spot.

I read that. While I like the guy it seems baseball is telling him it’s time to retire. That article made it sound like he still feels he has something left, but in all reality does he? Other than a veteran presence?

James Paxton just go $12M. He's 35 and has pitched 21 innings since 2020. :loco:
So the 96 innings he pitched last year in Boston don't count?

$11m for a starting lefty for a year is fairly standard these days. LA needed a lefty with Kershaw not healthy until mid season and may or may not be back.
2nd year removed from TJ, could end up being a solid signing. Could be a waste.

yeah, I whiffed on the Paxton stat as I was just glancing at BR briefly. :bag:
Either way, very underwhelming 2023, after 2+ years of nothing. Good on him for getting this much money, to me seems like garbage though. Hasn't been good in 5 years now, and well on the wrong side of 30.
To quote Buster Olney:
"James Paxton is 35 years old; it’s been five years since he threw 100 innings in any season; he had a 4.50 ERA last season, allowing 18 homers in 96 IP. And he got a $12m base salary from the LAD, plus incentives."
hot, stinky, garbage

yeah, I whiffed on the Paxton stat as I was just glancing at BR briefly. :bag:
Either way, very underwhelming 2023, after 2+ years of nothing. Good on him for getting this much money, to me seems like garbage though. Hasn't been good in 5 years now, and well on the wrong side of 30.
To quote Buster Olney:
"James Paxton is 35 years old; it’s been five years since he threw 100 innings in any season; he had a 4.50 ERA last season, allowing 18 homers in 96 IP. And he got a $12m base salary from the LAD, plus incentives."
hot, stinky, garbage
I didn't realize he was 35 when I saw the signing. But LA has always liked a reclamation project for the backend of the rotation. I don't hate it. And with the asinine use of "bullpen games" these days, it may not matter.

You can never have too much starting pitcher depth and Paxton has been good when healthy. It allows the Dodgers to shift to a six-man rotation if they want to and keep Yamamoto on routine and protect some of their young arms.

Even if Paxton doesn't last the whole year, he can hold down the fort until Dustin May or a deadline addition (or Kershaw) comes as reinforcements.

MLB network about to carry the HOF announcement live.
Beltre (duh)
Mauer (meh)
Helton (meh)

No arod, Wagner, sheffield, Jones, manny

The hof voting is stupid
You must be from Minnesota? J/K Is Mauer a 1st ballot HOF? Debatable. Is he a HOF player. Yes. He won not one, but 3 batting titles as a catcher! He would have eventually moved to first base regardless of the concussion IMO, the concussion just sped things up. His numbers also slid after the concussion but were still respectable. I will never understand Twins fan angst with him. They were screaming before the contract extension that he would be just another Twins player that would not stay and leave for more money. After he signed they were screaming he was making too much money. I am glad to se he was viewed differently by National writers, because if it was Minnesota people only, he probably would not have gotten in.

Users who are viewing this thread