What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official - 2024 Major League Baseball Thread - Royals Stink Now Since I Posted About It. I Suck At This *** (8 Viewers)

Gunnar had a heck of a game against the Yankees last night and it was only the 4th inning.

Per MLB.com "Here were Henderson’s stats heading into the fifth: 4-for-4 with two singles, two home runs, five RBIs and three runs scored."

Let's Go O's!
I keep waiting for the bottom to drop out but, even though they're around .500 over the last 30-some games, they keep chugging. The starting pitching has been far better than I thought they'd be, but they have to get some middle relief help because I don't see that continuing.
Yes, middle relief has been painful at times. When the bats are hot they can put up lots of runs but without middle relief holding the lead they have to out slug teams sometimes. That definitely won't hold up.

My son and I were watching the Reds game (bigtime Reds fan since I was a kid, moved to Cincinnati in the 80's, graduated from UC in the 90's) and I have to say De La Cruz stealing 2nd, 3rd and home was incredible. Hand to heart, my son said "I'd lose my mind if he stole home" right before he stole home. . . we both lost our minds! :)

As great as they’ve been, I think people may forget that the Braves don’t even have their top two starting pitchers right now. If Fried and Wright get healthy and get back, they’re going to be that much better.

I’m not sure if I’m just not as connected to sports as I used to be and so I’m mid-reading things, but it feels like he’s not getting nearly the respect and attention he deserves. What he’s doing is insane.

As far as sports are part of society, part of me thinks he's worthy of a few minutes on the national nightly news at some point. Not only is he an international player, he's doing something nobody but Ruth has ever done.

He's so enormous without any hype that I can see. Maybe we are both disconnected from sports in some way. Judge winning the MVP last year so handily (okay, he led Ohtani in Fangraphs WAR and 60 HRs with testing for amphetamines and steroids is quite incredible) is indicative that maybe he's not quite getting the respect he deserves. (Though to do what Judge did is quite remarkable. It just seems like there's a flat feeling to Ohtani's hype.)

eta* Really, Ohtani is simply Ruthian, and you don't see it more than once a century.

eta2* That's a really long way of saying that I agree with you. Feels like this should be a bigger story than it is.
Should be a way bigger story, I agree. Being on the west coast doesn’t help

I think if he was a NYY it definitely would be

Yep West Coast non-Dodger is the issue. Even if he was in Chicago he'd be getting a ton more press. East Coast bias is real...they just don't stay up to watch him play a game that starts at 10:30 pm their time.
I think the language barrier is a thing too. Harder to emotionally connect to a guy that doesn’t speak your language. And he doesn’t make up for it with a whole lot of flair like an Ichiro or Acuna does.

I mean....Mike Trout had been the best player in baseball for 10 years. He could walk around in a mall in any large city and be unbothered. It's bizarre to me how anonymous and invisible players for LAA are in the world of sports.
In Trout’s case, he strikes me as the type of guy that is happier without anyone recognizing him.

But even East coast guys don’t seem to get THAT much love overall. Judge got a lot of attention last year, but even that seemed a bit more subdued than I expected from a NYY. What other stats are really getting attention? Acuna is getting some, but he’s also having an historic season so far (first guy to ever have 20 HR, 40 SB, and 50 RBIs before the break) and outside of a few highlight videos, does anyone in the general public care?

I remember as a kid being obsessed with guys like Ricky Henderson, Griffey, Bo Jackson, Big Hurt, Pedro, Randy Johnson, Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Maddux, etc Is there excitement around anybody today like there was 20-30 years ago?

Maybe it’s just that baseball really has completely lost kids and they’re way more obsessed with the NBA and NFL and MLB is a distant 3rd if that.

I just returned from a store and saw a big box of Julio Rodriquez cereal so I think there are some fans of MLB left in this world.

(When I think about it, sure Rutschman is popular locally but Justin Tucker must be 10x moreso, and Lamar is reaching godlike status)
Rutschman is the biggest local MLBer since Ripken. Machado was (relatively) huge, but I think Adley has passed him already. But you're right - Lamar Jackson is the closest thing to Cal, Jr since Cal, Jr in these parts.

Adley has the IT Factor is droves.

All-Star game comes to town.

Home Run Derby tonight. Pete Alonso going to take it home.

MLB shouldn't have rules in place that lock them into the matchups. They got home town guy going against Alonso in round one which is stupid.

MLB shouldn't have rules in place that lock them into the matchups. They got home town guy going against Alonso in round one which is stupid.
This is once again MLB stepping on their dongs. That should be the final for crissakes. Or at least set up the bracket so it's possible.

MLB is so effing dumb its amazing they make money.

This is once again MLB stepping on their dongs. That should be the final for crissakes. Or at least set up the bracket so it's possible.

MLB is so effing dumb its amazing they make money.
Yep. I was looking at why they have it set up like this and they actually have rules in place for this like it is important 😂

Should have tossed any rules they had in place out when this matchup came out.

Best BP pitcher vs the worst BP pitcher ever there with Rodríguez/Alonso

I read on twitter this afternoon that the Polar Bear's BP pitcher had to be replaced last minute due to an injury. I wasn't sure if it was a hoax, but in retrospect betting on the hometown kid would have made a bunch of sense.

Best BP pitcher vs the worst BP pitcher ever there with Rodríguez/Alonso
This is more important than most people think. Having a pitcher that throws hard enough to give some power and able to hit the same spot every time at the same speed is critical. Every year guys are eliminated because their pitcher is terrible and it has nothing to do with the hitter.
Yup. Also in the first round Rodriguez's pitcher was not only accurate, but had a quick release - many more opportunities. Alonso's old man pitcher was almost taking a full windup - besides being all over the place, it cost Alonso a lot of precious seconds. Rhythm is everything for these guys - they can all launch it.

Yup. Also in the first round Rodriguez's pitcher was not only accurate, but had a quick release - many more opportunities. Alonso's old man pitcher was almost taking a full windup and, besides being all over the place, cost Alonso a lot of time.
The time thing can be good and bad. You can tire a lot quicker if the pitches are coming in too fast and it could hurt you late. You need the guy to keep a nice rhythm more than anything. Too fast can be just as bad as too slow.

Yup. Also in the first round Rodriguez's pitcher was not only accurate, but had a quick release - many more opportunities. Alonso's old man pitcher was almost taking a full windup and, besides being all over the place, cost Alonso a lot of time.
The time thing can be good and bad. You can tire a lot quicker if the pitches are coming in too fast and it could hurt you late. You need the guy to keep a nice rhythm more than anything. Too fast can be just as bad as too slow.
Yeah, probably true. Maybe Rodriguez's pace got him tired in the second round. At least guys can take a few pitches if they're coming in too quickly, but too slow costs when you're trying to catch up. I guess there's a right balance somewhere in between.

Vlad just killed one of those kids in the OF 😮
No idea why those kids are out there. One of them is going to get killed some day
I would have taken the chance when I was 12 If this were a thing!

No idea why those kids are out there. One of them is going to get killed some day
Oh yeah, me too

I wouldn’t let my daughter out there when she was 12 though lol

Oh yeah, me too

I wouldn’t let my daughter out there when she was 12 though lol
Put em in football helmets 😀

Users who are viewing this thread