What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 6th pick thread....talking strategy (1 Viewer)

death of the cool

Footballguy
Well I found out yesterday that I will have the 6th pick, and within minutes I was looking at what I would be looking at for the early rounds. Feel free to share anything else you have noticed about the 6th pick in drafts.

1st round – I think the play here is defiantly to secure a RB, but the question is who? Most times Peterson, Foster, Martin are off the board…which means 2 others will be gone to make your choice easier. I do find that there is a choice here of safe vs ceiling. I think the safe play is to grab Lynch or Rice (even with the Pierce rumors), but I find myself wanting to take the swing for the fence with Charles or Spiller….either could end up the top RB in fantasy or could bust…but I have never been a play it safe type of guy.

2nd round – Here is the fork in the road….most everyone (unless taking Calvin) will have a RB1 secured at this point, but now choices will be all over the place. Do you take the elite WR like Marshall or Dez to pair with your RB1? Do you grab a strong RB2 because of the depth at WR and QB? Do you select Rodgers or Brees if they fall? What about Jimmy Graham or if Gronk starts the season healthy? Many times it is going to depend on what type of run went ahead of you…I don’t see myself taking Rodgers or Brees because of the depth at QB. I think the only RB’s I would want in the 2nd are S.jackson, Forte, or Ridley. If they are gone I will look at Jimmy Graham, and if he is gone as well an elite WR should be there.

3rd round – This will depend some on what you did last round. QB is major deep still, but I do find myself with an itchy trigger finger to grab Cam Newton….I love that kid. It may depend on how far QB’s are falling in your draft. If you didn’t grab a RB2 already, you almost have to do it this round or next to have a decent starter….here you could be looking at Murray, McFadden, Bush type. Still plenty of great WR’s if you need a WR1…Fitz, Cruz, Johnson, R.White usually go around here.

4th round- If I have passed on QB this far I usually wait another round or 2 and grab the best left. This round may still have some RB2 potential like Sproles, David Wilson, L.Bell…not bad to pair up with a RB1 and two solid WR’s.

5th round – If I didn’t pull the trigger on a top TE, this is when I start looking at Tony G, Witten and V.Davis. I don’t want to be stuck with a TEBC (Tight end by committee) where I am searching the whole year looking for a starter. QB usually still has some depth here, but keep an eye on your draft…sometimes my draft mates over draft QB’s, and then they get frustrated that the other QB’s start falling so they start drafting QB1’s as a backup just to screw teams waiting on a QB…know your league.

6th round – I usually wait no longer than this to grab a QB…you may also be at the end of the tier 2 TEs (Davis, Witten, TonyG). I usually still have lots of WR’s that I would use as a low end WR2 or great WR3, so don’t forget to also grab some potential at RB…maybe a G.Benard or J.Franklin.

If I have more time I will come back and talk some more about late in the draft…

I have the 6th pick in a new 12 team ppr work league. I'd say half know what they are doing pretty well and 1/4 have no clue. No one has done ppr besides myself.

At 6 if I go Calvin Johnson I think there would be a run on wrs but I just can't do it. I will go with whoever is left from Charles, Rice, and Richardson. With a rb in the fold it allows bpa in the next round or two.

At 19 I will take forte if available. I think I will end up with des or B Marshall here.

At 30 I will likely take my 2 nd rb. Ridley, s Jax, McFadden. I don't love it but it is what it is.

In the 4th I think I go qb. I have a feeling that there will be 7 or so gone by now, hoping forStafford. If not I would really like vjax or best rb available

Great post on your thought process. If I'm 6th I'm hoping for Charles or Spiller to fall to #6. I agree with round 2 thoughts, although my thought process is CJ2k, Graham, then Green/Dez. I'm a big fan of Cam this year, but don't think he adds much vaule in round 3 due to to the depth of the QBs this year. If Cam falls to to rd. 4 I would pull the triiger, otherwise wait till later to pick up a QB. I think round 3 is better served to pick up a RB2 or WR1 based on what your first two picks yield. Overall, I like the 6 spot this year. I don't see much difference from what I can get at #2 vs #6 RB. After the #1 slot is gone I think I would prefer to draft form the 5/6/7 slot.

I'm struggling with Round 2. Ridley, MJD or a top WR. If you go top WR, you end up with Bell, Bush, Sproles, DMC, etc.

the first part of my 12 team ppr draft at 1.06 shook out like this (1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 pk, 1 dt):

1.06 rice

2.07 j jones (really wanted c johnson but he was gone so took best value)

3.06 gore

4.07 witten

5.06 a brown

6.07 s johnson

7.06 d jackson

8.07 v ballard (dont like him much but honestly did not like really any rb3 much this year unless i got a 3rd much earlier hurting wr depth)

9.06 b pierce

10.07 m vick

11.06 cutler

was going to get a qb in the 6th round originally as i really like that pocket of value with luck/rg3/romo there, but with as well as vick has been playing felt like i had more upside with a vick/cutler combo who also have a great combined schedule.

i was also going to wait until the 8th to get olsen but cruz who i really wanted was gone and witten was screaming out to be taken.

Thanks for posting your draft results. Can you go over who was available to you in the first 3 rounds or so? What was your thought process?

Great post on your thought process. If I'm 6th I'm hoping for Charles or Spiller to fall to #6. I agree with round 2 thoughts, although my thought process is CJ2k, Graham, then Green/Dez. I'm a big fan of Cam this year, but don't think he adds much vaule in round 3 due to to the depth of the QBs this year. If Cam falls to to rd. 4 I would pull the triiger, otherwise wait till later to pick up a QB. I think round 3 is better served to pick up a RB2 or WR1 based on what your first two picks yield. Overall, I like the 6 spot this year. I don't see much difference from what I can get at #2 vs #6 RB. After the #1 slot is gone I think I would prefer to draft form the 5/6/7 slot.
It's interesting that you mentioned this about Cam,because that is how I am approaching it 2 weeks after posting this thread.

Many times now I pass on Cam in the 3rd for a WR (usually Cobb or Cruz)...if he falls to the 4th I get great value, if not...I look a round or 2 later at Kepernick or Luck.

I've done a bunch of mocks from the 6-spot (12 teams) and usually I like my team a lot better when I go RB, WR, RB than when I go RB, RB, WR. The whole top tier of receivers gets taken before 3.06. If I go WR in the second there are still several good looking RBs availabe in the third.

I've also tried Jimmy Graham at 2.07 and hated the resulting team every time. My starting WR is too weak and my 2nd-4th RBs are too risky.

There is usually a good QB available at 5.06 or 6.07. When I go RB, WR, RB, RB, WR, QB I wind up with a great starting lineup and can go best available player from there.

Mock it up and see what you like, but those are my findings.

I participate in an ESPN work league where about half of the owners are pretty savvy. I'm going into this trying to capitalize on the fact that several RB2's are ranked by ESPN higher than they should be (Bell and Bush in particular). I like the way my team looks going RB, WR, WR, RB, and then probably QB through five rounds. That leaves me something like Charles/RIce, Dez/Marsh, Fitz/VJax, Bell/Bush, Romo. I know it's a crapshoot as to what RB2 is going to be available in the fourth, but I love starting off with a top tier RB and WR combo. It also allows me to go after guys like Vereen or DeAngelo later on.

I participate in an ESPN work league where about half of the owners are pretty savvy. I'm going into this trying to capitalize on the fact that several RB2's are ranked by ESPN higher than they should be (Bell and Bush in particular). I like the way my team looks going RB, WR, WR, RB, and then probably QB through five rounds. That leaves me something like Charles/RIce, Dez/Marsh, Fitz/VJax, Bell/Bush, Romo. I know it's a crapshoot as to what RB2 is going to be available in the fourth, but I love starting off with a top tier RB and WR combo. It also allows me to go after guys like Vereen or DeAngelo later on.
I don't see Bush lasting to the 4th in a PPR. Bell would be your best best bets. Bush and Sproles have been going in the 3rd recently.

I'm leaning towards a top 6 wr if there in round 2. If not, take best available RB and come back with WR in Round 3 (Fitz, Cruz, AJ).

Picking from the number 6 spot is a little different/interesting for my league. We keep 2. I will be keeping 2 rb's (Foster & Rice). This should be a good foundation to start with. I checked all the other owners rosters and here is my best guestimate on what other players will be kept. 10 rb's, 5 wr's, and 5 qb's.

With that mix of players, there should be either a very good rb (forte, ridley, bush, cj2k, murray) or wr/te (cruz, a.j., amendola, cobb, julio, fitz, roddy). We start 3rb, 4 wr/te. 1qb, pk, def.

My question is do I secure my third starting rb position with my first pick or go wr then get a rb next like giovani, miller, bell, lacy, bradshaw, etc)

2323, I'd try to get Forte or cjohnson. After that get the stud wr as I think those other rbs are a notch below.

I just drafted out of the six hole in. 12 team PPR. Meh, I think. Could've been worse or better. Not high on Vick but went with High upside and then hopefully a high floor back up in Schaub. If Vick hits in the Kelly offense (McCoy, too), I am much higher on the team.

TBA

1. (6) LeSean McCoy - Calvin next

(Phi - RB)

2. (19) Brandon Marshall - Rodgers and D Thomas went next two

(Chi - WR)

3. (30) Roddy White - newton, manning, bowe went next

(Atl - WR)

4. (43) Eddie Lacy - David Wilson, wayne, Torrey smith next

(GB - RB)

5. (54) Jordy Nelson - decker, d Jackson Philly, James jones next

(GB - WR)

6. (67) Lamar Miller - Greg Olsen, kaepernick, and Stevie Johnson next (might've been the pick here)

(Mia - RB)

7. (78) Greg Jennings - felt good to get him after regretting Johnson; tavon Austin, rg3, monte ball, love Austin, couldn't do it with all the RBs I've taken.

(Min - WR)

8. (91) Michael Vick - after rg3 was gone, I knew Vick was my target, backed up later by dalton or Schaub, dalton taken pick before me in 11, Ingram, mendy, vereen next.

(Phi - QB)

9. (102) Fred Davis - BGE , ivory, Bernard next. Didnt think Davis would last.

(Was - TE)

10. (115) Danny Woodhead - like this pick this late, think he MIT be my rb2 on some weeks, Freddie Jacobson, gates, and kenbrell next

(SD - RB)

11. (126) Matt Schaub - felt this was a safe play this late. I ALWAYS wait on QB, this year no different. I feel like the scarcity principle really pays off if you trust your gut with other picks.

(Hou - QB)

12. (139) Bryce Brown - handcuff, and might even be a good rb3 in an offense that runs crazy number of plays

(Phi - RB)

13. (150) Roy Helu - high on him in event of injury and in a PPR

(Was - RB)

14. (163) Zach Sudfeld - sleeper?

(NE - TE)

15. (174) Randy Bullock

(Hou - K)

16. (187) New York

(NYG - DEF)

Thoughts welcomes, but figured this would help someone somewhere. Excuse typos on iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting your draft. I find great value if you go Rb,WR,WR but hate my number 2 rb. I think I'll probably go rb rb WR hoping for Charles/Richardson - C Johnson - A Johnson.

I am a bit bullish on Lacy but was very happy with my WRs at the end of the draft. I also think Woodhead is underrated.

I also just drew the 6-hole for one of my drafts Friday night. 0.5 PPR. The catch is we must start 3 WRs and a flex, so I could start 3 RBs or 4 WRs. Leagues where you must start 3 WRs are kind of foreign to me. Those of you in leagues like this, do you still hammer away early with 2 RBs and save WRs for later because they are so deep? Or are you definitely looking to get one stud WR in the first 2 rounds, and perhaps even two WRs in the first 3 rounds?

TIA

Raider Nation said:
I also just drew the 6-hole for one of my drafts Friday night. 0.5 PPR. The catch is we must start 3 WRs and a flex, so I could start 3 RBs or 4 WRs. Leagues where you must start 3 WRs are kind of foreign to me. Those of you in leagues like this, do you still hammer away early with 2 RBs and save WRs for later because they are so deep? Or are you definitely looking to get one stud WR in the first 2 rounds, and perhaps even two WRs in the first 3 rounds?

TIA
I've got many years of experience with must-start 3-WR formats, and I usually find I'm kicking myself by mid-season if I don't lock up at least one stud WR in the first two rounds. Usually it's because I don't get quite the WR quality at the top end (many other teams will take WRs earlier than you'd expect), I'll grab my 4th and 5th WRs a little earlier than normal to compensate, and I wind up leaving a bunch of points on my bench because I didn't pick the right 3 each week from a pool of 5 mostly interchangeable guys.

My only exception to a RB-WR start in such leagues are when QB scoring is so high relative to other positions (e.g. 6-pt TD's and 1 per 20 PY plus long pass TD / 300-yard game bonuses) that it makes sense to take a QB in the first two rounds. In that case I'll go RB-QB or vice versa and take my chances with hitting on depth at WR down the line.

^^^ Appreciate the feedback.

If Calvin doesn't fall to me in the 1st, I'll go RB and hope that Dez or A.J. will be sitting there in the 2nd.

In the 3wr leagues I plan one one in the 1st 3rounds and try to have my starters by round 6/7. This year there are still wr1s in round 3. I plan on filling rb in the first 2 rounds

I just drafted out of the six hole in. 12 team PPR. Meh, I think. Could've been worse or better. Not high on Vick but went with High upside and then hopefully a high floor back up in Schaub. If Vick hits in the Kelly offense (McCoy, too), I am much higher on the team.

TBA

(Chi - WR)
I'm struggling with this pick. I don't expect Rodgers/Brees/P Manning to be available in my draft in the 2nd at the 6 spot but if one of them falls the point differential between QB and RB/WR is too large to ignore (barring injury of course).

Completely changed my strategy tonight due to wanting to secure a good RB2. Also liked the value in Graham. Took a QB earlier than I had planned, but was pleased with the WR's that fell to me (could have gone Cruz/Romo instead of Ryan/Torry). ESPN draft with all owners present.Charles

CJ2K

Graham

Ryan

Bowe

T Smith

Garçon

Vereen

Andre Brown

J Gordon

V Brown

Hopkins

Cutler

Bucs

Ravens

Akers

TBA

(Chi - WR)
I'm struggling with this pick. I don't expect Rodgers/Brees/P Manning to be available in my draft in the 2nd at the 6 spot but if one of them falls the point differential between QB and RB/WR is too large to ignore (barring injury of course).
I never, at least in the seven years in this league, have drafted a QB prior to round 8. Is a mix of "guppies and sharks" and I always know someone of value will fall. I believe Vick is that guy this year, which a quality, high floor back up to follow. I feel that by trusting the FBG strategy of stacking up on other positions early the QB I take late will be good enough. IMO, Marshall, White, Nelson in a three WR league is very strong. McCoy and Lacy /Miller is strong as well. I can live without a top QB in this scenario. Just my two cents.

TBA

(Chi - WR)
I never, at least in the seven years in this league, have drafted a QB prior to round 8. Is a mix of "guppies and sharks" and I always know someone of value will fall. I believe Vick is that guy this year, which a quality, high floor back up to follow. I feel that by trusting the FBG strategy of stacking up on other positions early the QB I take late will be good enough. IMO, Marshall, White, Nelson in a three WR league is very strong. McCoy and Lacy /Miller is strong as well. I can live without a top QB in this scenario. Just my two cents.
I wised up and passed on QB in the 2nd. Went RB/RB/WR/RB.

Completed my 12-team draft (6 pts for passing TDs) on Saturday. Went in intending to take Charles/Spiller/McCoy at 1.06, and hopefully Dez, AJ Green or Brandon Marshall at 2.07.

1.06 Jamaal Charles

2.07 Dez Bryant

3.06 Peyton Manning

4.07 Darren Sproles

5.06 Reggie Wayne

6.07 Shane Vereen

7.06 Cecil Shorts

8.07 Bernard Pierce

9.06 Kenny Britt

10.07 Joique Bell (was hoping for Greg Olsen or Jared Cook here)

11.06 Tyler Eifert

12.07 Bears D

13.06 Josh Freeman

14.07 Matt Bryant

15.06 Shonn Greene (ugh)

16.07 Zac Stacy

17,06 Mikel LeShoure

18.07 Rob Housler

Not bad, but could have used a better TE and more WR depth.

I had the 6th pick in a standard redraft league where passing TD’s = 6 points. Starting lineups 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 1Flex, 1kicker and 1 defense/special teams. This draft was held before week 4 preseason games (so before Andre Brown got injured). My draft went like so:

1.06 – Doug Martin -he fell to me as Brees was drafted 4th overall, coming into the draft I was debating McCoy or T-Rich in this spot. Most likely would have went T-Rich but I couldn’t pass up on Martin here.

2.07 – MoJo – the rest of the picks before this were RB heavy and MoJo was the best available in my mind. I was originally targeting Dez Bryant, Forte or Chris Johnson but they were all gone. Aaron Rodgers was available to me but I passed.

3.06 – Jimmy Graham – couldn’t pass up on the value here

4.07 – Lamar Miller – pretty happy with him in my flex position

5.06 – Danny Amendola – I am not wild about this pick, especially as my WR1 but I do have Graham also

6.07 – Andrew Luck – I could have taken G Bernard here and had a chance at either Luck or Kaepernick on the way back. I think I made a slight mistake here

7.06 – Shane Vereen – bench depth and bye week fill in

8.07 – Tavon Austin – I don’t really like this pick but I went with a potential wildcard (I still need a viable wr2 however)

9.06 – Kenny Britt – my WR2 to start the season

10.07 – Michael Floyd

11.06 – Justin Blackmon – since I consider my WR to be weak I loaded up on potential late season guys like Blackmon and Austin

12.07 – Shonn Greene

13.06 – Tampa Bay – they play the Jets week 1

14.07 – Greg Zuerlein

So there you have it. I could have had G Bernard and Kaepernick instead of Luck and Vereen and while I don’t like my starting WRs very much I consider drafting Graham to be on par with an elite WR1.

Users who are viewing this thread