What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Baltimore Ravens Offseason Thread*** (1 Viewer)

M

MLBrandow

Didn't see one on the Ravens, so I thought I'd start one.

Would really like some draft buzz from Raven homers. Haven't been able to get a good look at their offseason plans yet.

Questions surrounding Ray Lewis - will they let him test the market, possibly get more $$ elsewhere. Ed Reed now the de facto D leader anyway.

Further questions under center. Certainly will bring in a vet QB to compete - but who? Collins? Kitna? Those 2 remain the top of the list.

Haven't been able to get a good look at their offseason plans yet.
there are more "directions" for this team to go this year then in any other...JE brings up the Ray Lewis "situation"---to listen to Billick, everything is peachy:

"we haven't heard anything from Ray so we fully expect him in camp and to play at a high level"---yeah, right

I "expect" Ray to have lingering hammy problems as camp approaches, so that he can stage a mini-holdout....if so, it'll get ugly---hopefully a trade fo a high 2nd/1st can be worked out and accepted, opening the door to sign Bart Scott long term

alot of what the Ravens do hinge on this LB situation, as it involves alot of cap space

I doubt Chester or Jamal return @RB...look for midlevel FA/trade, plus draft of say a 2nd rounder..no link, just my gut

"Kemo" looks to be the priority keeper amongst pending FA's, as the market for fat DT's is slim

Daniel Wilcox, backup to Todd Heap, signed a 3yr deal yesterday

I'll pass along more as we get it....

I'd really like to know about the defensive plans. Do they admit defeat for the 46 and go back to the 34, where Lewis was a monster and this defense struck fear into everyone?

That will certainly influence their drafting..... and I'd like to know what any who consider themselves experts on the Ravens see the coaching staff doing with regard to the defensive scheme.

you guys should of kept Edgerton Hartwell, and cut Ray Lewis's useless ### last year
:shrug: Hartwell was no prize, either sport

but thanx for the input :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd really like to know about the defensive plans. Do they admit defeat for the 46 and go back to the 34, where Lewis was a monster and this defense struck fear into everyone?
the base "D" last year WAS the 34...the best alignment for Lewis was in the 43, when Goose and Sam Adams supplied 700 lbs of "cover" in front of Ray---with only a NT in front of him, good lines have had their way w/him, getting 2 bodies on him most games...KC Sunday night game from '04 was prime example of his frustration, as Tait & Co made Ray a non-factor in that gamebiggest problem this past year was lack of pressure...Boulware was resigned after rookie Cody went down for the year in August, but didn't provide much relief to Suggs--Thomas was the only other factor in this regard

speaking of Suggs, if he doesn't figure out how to follow coaches directions, he'll be looking for work elsewhere...he tended to "freelance" himself out of position alittle too often for Coach Ryan

more on AD...Thomas lined up in all 11 defensive positions at one time of another last season, due to injury---lack of depth and a few too many 30-somethings made this defense pedestrian last year...I'll send along more as news surfaces

you guys should of kept Edgerton Hartwell, and cut Ray Lewis's useless ### last year

Very true....but at least he is a bit younger. I'm not a Ravens hater. I'm a Skins fan, who would love to see a Beltway Super Bowl....I think the Raven's biggest problem is Billick. He seems to have taken a ###### pill the past couple of years.You guys have a lot of good pieces in place, but they don't seem to go well together, that and Jamal not wanting to run at full speed, really hurt you guys last year.

What is your thoughts on Boller?? I'm still out on a final verdict, he is (at least in my mind) approaching Harrington status, of noone knowing what he is capable of.

He showed some flashes last year, but they seemed to be after all the pressure was off him

from PFW...

In search of RB solution, Ravens may look toward draft

It looks more and more like the Ravens will be addressing the RB position in the draft. Jamal Lewis is a long shot to be back with the club after the team declined to give him the franchise or transition tag; both sides seem content to start fresh. Reserve Chester Taylor may be back because he figures to be affordable, but there’s no guarantee he’ll be re-signed, according to a source close to the club. Word is the Ravens are confident they can find a suitable young tailback with the No. 13 pick in the first round, with USC’s LenDale White and Memphis’ DeAngelo Williams among the names linked to the pick. The team has about $16 million in salary-cap space, according to PFW figures, but isn’t willing to commit too much cap space to the RB position with several key defensive players also unrestricted free agents. DT Maake Kemoeatu and LB Bart Scott appear to be the Ravens’ priorities to re-sign, the way we hear it.

03/02/06 11:15 AM

THE NEWS

The Ravens are intent on bringing in a veteran quarterback to challenge incumbent Kyle Boller, and their top option at present is Kerry Collins, according to the Baltimore Sun. Collins is a likely cap casualty for the Raiders, who must trip $23.5 million in salary by Thursday's deadline. Cutting Collins would save the Raiders about $9.2 million.

:football: Where do I begin?

QB - They're sticking with Boller for one more year hoping to get a veteran to challenge him.

OL - A pass blocking OL would go a long way to see if Boller can ever make it. The kid has all the tools but hasn't been able to get a full cast around him. Ogden and Mulitalo are getting up there in age on the left side, Flynn has no clue directing blocking assignments at C (he should move back to RG where he came from), and the right side is like a swinging gate.

RB - Jamal gone to test the waters. Might be able to re-sign once he sees the competition in free agency and draft. Chester Taylor to small to absorb pounding as every day back. Drafting White from USC should be the priority.

WR/TE - The addition of Mason last year and the drafting of Mark Clayton gives them 2 solid starters. Not alot of good WRs in this draft. Todd Heap continues to be a solid threat at TE. The recent re-signing of Dan Wilcox provides a solid corp at the position

DL - No true speed rusher at DE and DT/NT lack any penetration. Re-signing Kimo a priority to plug up the center. Need to find good DE to replace expected loss of A. Weaver.

LB - Strength of the team. Without R. Lewis, B. Scott provided solid play at MLB and will be a priority to re-sign. P. Boulware's clock just stopped ticking and that means more playing time for team MVP A. Thomas who played all 11 D positions last year. Suggs needs focus while being a force off the edge.

CB - Deon is gone. Carter is getting old. Rolles outshined McAllister who isn't playing with the same agressiveness.

S - Can you say Ed Reed? New leader of the D. A true "ball hawk". Hampered by injuries last year. Should come back strong. Demps is gone. Played with alot of heart but undersized. Safety should be a priority in free agency/draft

K/P - Word is that they re-sign Zastudil. If pressed he can place kick. Stover just keeps on going like the Energizer bunny.

Summary - Offense needs depth on OL, need long term answer at RB, final year of the Boller experiment. Offense should come around in Jim Fassels second year as O co-ordinator. Defense played strong last year missing key components in Lewis and Reed and finished in top 10 in major D categories. Adding pressure along the line could return this team to the dominant one that won SB XXXV. :football:

Very true....but at least he is a bit younger. I'm not a Ravens hater. I'm a Skins fan, who would love to see a Beltway Super Bowl....I think the Raven's biggest problem is Billick. He seems to have taken a ###### pill the past couple of years.You guys have a lot of good pieces in place, but they don't seem to go well together, that and Jamal not wanting to run at full speed, really hurt you guys last year.

What is your thoughts on Boller?? I'm still out on a final verdict, he is (at least in my mind) approaching Harrington status, of noone knowing what he is capable of.

He showed some flashes last year, but they seemed to be after all the pressure was off him
Hartwell got ~$12M to sign in Atlanta, and "cutting" Lewis would have accellerated the cap ramifications of the $19M signing bonus---they'd have had a hit of $10.84M, the remainder of the unamortized bonus......simply put, just not good business

this off season, however, would be a GREAT time to trade his butt, as the cap hit from the signing bonus = his cap number...basically, a wash

regarding Boller---f'er played the game of his life week 16, costing me $250 as I lost a dynasty league SB to an oppenet playing him by 1.10 points :rant:

...as much as I've backed him, I'm just not sure he'll ever "get it" :ph34r:

:football: Where do I begin?

QB - They're sticking with Boller for one more year hoping to get a veteran to challenge him.

OL - A pass blocking OL would go a long way to see if Boller can ever make it. The kid has all the tools but hasn't been able to get a full cast around him. Ogden and Mulitalo are getting up there in age on the left side, Flynn has no clue directing blocking assignments at C (he should move back to RG where he came from), and the right side is like a swinging gate.

RB - Jamal gone to test the waters. Might be able to re-sign once he sees the competition in free agency and draft. Chester Taylor to small to absorb pounding as every day back. Drafting White from USC should be the priority.

WR/TE - The addition of Mason last year and the drafting of Mark Clayton gives them 2 solid starters. Not alot of good WRs in this draft. Todd Heap continues to be a solid threat at TE. The recent re-signing of Dan Wilcox provides a solid corp at the position

DL - No true speed rusher at DE and DT/NT lack any penetration. Re-signing Kimo a priority to plug up the center. Need to find good DE to replace expected loss of A. Weaver.

LB - Strength of the team. Without R. Lewis, B. Scott provided solid play at MLB and will be a priority to re-sign. P. Boulware's clock just stopped ticking and that means more playing time for team MVP A. Thomas who played all 11 D positions last year. Suggs needs focus while being a force off the edge.

CB - Deon is gone. Carter is getting old. Rolles outshined McAllister who isn't playing with the same agressiveness.

S - Can you say Ed Reed? New leader of the D. A true "ball hawk". Hampered by injuries last year. Should come back strong. Demps is gone. Played with alot of heart but undersized. Safety should be a priority in free agency/draft

K/P - Word is that they re-sign Zastudil. If pressed he can place kick. Stover just keeps on going like the Energizer bunny.

Summary - Offense needs depth on OL, need long term answer at RB, final year of the Boller experiment. Offense should come around in Jim Fassels second year as O co-ordinator. Defense played strong last year missing key components in Lewis and Reed and finished in top 10 in major D categories. Adding pressure along the line could return this team to the dominant one that won SB XXXV. :football:
Where would a "No true speed rusher at DE" play in a 3-4? He would not play DE.

Hartwell got ~$12M to sign in Atlanta, and "cutting" Lewis would have accellerated the cap ramifications of the $19M signing bonus---they'd have had a hit of $10.84M, the remainder of the unamortized bonus......simply put, just not good business

this off season, however, would be a GREAT time to trade his butt, as the cap hit from the signing bonus = his cap number...basically, a wash

regarding Boller---f'er played the game of his life week 16, costing me $250 as I lost a dynasty league SB to an oppenet playing him by 1.10 points :rant:

...as much as I've backed him, I'm just not sure he'll ever "get it" :ph34r:
Hopefully this CBA mess will get figured out soon. I'd like to see you guys with another WR to compliment Mason. Oh and that's why I never bet against my Skins. The one week that I will be rooting against them, everyone will have a career game.

[Hopefully this CBA mess will get figured out soon. I'd like to see you guys with another WR to compliment Mason.
Clayton definitely showed signs of being that guy toward the end of last year. If heap can get healthy and stay healthy, they will have plenty of quality targets in the passing game. For the first time in many, many years the receiving corps is one of the few positions without a pressing need.

[Hopefully this CBA mess will get figured out soon.  I'd like to see you guys with another WR to compliment Mason. 
Clayton definitely showed signs of being that guy toward the end of last year. If heap can get healthy and stay healthy, they will have plenty of quality targets in the passing game. For the first time in many, many years the receiving corps is one of the few positions without a pressing need.
Hopefull you guys will get the Bengals and Steelers beating the hell out of each other, and you guys can slip in under the radar. Your division is getting very competitive very quickly.......You can almost rival my NFC East.

[Hopefully this CBA mess will get figured out soon.  I'd like to see you guys with another WR to compliment Mason. 
IMHO the receiving corps have one glaring need - a QB

IMHO the receiving corps have one glaring need - a QB
Boller shows some flashes of being a pretty good QB. It's just that he seems to only show that when you guys are mathematilcally eliminated from the playoffs, and there is no pressure on him. I think everyone will finally get a good look at what type of QB he is this year.

The Ravens might select Memphis running back DeAngelo Williams over Southern California's LenDale White with the No. 13 overall pick in the first round of the draft. White may be in the mold of Jamal Lewis, but Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome likes Williams' explosiveness and big-play ability, according to several team officials. -- Baltimore Sun

Baltimore Sun beat writer Jamison Hensley reports today that the Ravens are thinking about waiting to see if Steve McNair gets cut by the Titans before actively pursuing Kerry Collins or Brian Griese.

I guess Aaron Brooks could also be a possibility. Is this a valid strategy?

Linkie

Users who are viewing this thread