What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Broncos vs. Chargers*** (1 Viewer)

I have mixed feeling about this. I'm a Chargers' fan, and I think that if they get in the playoffs they have a shot at doing something. But as a sports fan, I hate the idea of rewarding mediocrity on the basis of division or conference alignments. If you can't win more games than you lose, then I really don't think you belong in the postseason. Nevertheless, I'll be rooting for the Chargers this season until their next loss, whether that comes next week or Feb. 1st.

Now this is definitely a playoff game. There is zero difference between the official variety and what we've got in San Diego next weekend. Are the networks thinking of moving this game to prime time? I see there isn't even a saturday nor night game on the schedule, unless I'm wrong.

I have mixed feeling about this. I'm a Chargers' fan, and I think that if they get in the playoffs they have a shot at doing something. But as a sports fan, I hate the idea of rewarding mediocrity on the basis of division or conference alignments. If you can't win more games than you lose, then I really don't think you belong in the postseason. Nevertheless, I'll be rooting for the Chargers this season until their next loss, whether that comes next week or Feb. 1st.
The NFL wants to generate and maintain a national interest in its league. It wants to give regions equal weight. The playoff system is similar to the Electoral College in that regard. You may not like it but others argue its a hell of a lot of better than say baseball where all the focus is on Yankees and Red Sox every year, regardless of how they do.

Now this is definitely a playoff game. There is zero difference between the official variety and what we've got in San Diego next weekend. Are the networks thinking of moving this game to prime time? I see there isn't even a saturday nor night game on the schedule, unless I'm wrong.
I think we might see this bumped to the Sunday night game. We'll find out sometime tomorrow I think.

I was going to give my tickets away as a Xmas gift. Hohoho thanks to the Bills win I'm keeping the early Xmas gift. Oh and I agree with Tommygunz, the broncos likely aren't going to be a confident bUnch, Bolts should roll.

I'm a Bronco fan, and I'm sure the Broncos will be wishing for a one more win this year as their christmas present! What a sad collapse, I don't even see them winning against SD either the way they been playing. Wanting to get into the playoffs, as if. I think most of these guys should take up golfing.

I don't think I'm gonna watch.
Right now after watching this last game, I feel this same way.There is a ton wrong with the Broncos right now and SD is playing very well. It will take a miracle for the Broncos to win. :bag:
I don't think the Chargers are playing all that well. It took a miracle in KC for them to even be in this situation. Their secondary keeps getting picked apart and we aren't running the ball that well. Shut down Rivers and you shut down the Boltz.

While SD definitely has all the momentum, as a Chargers fan I'm not taking anything for granted. This is a team that's struggled twice to beat KC and once to Oakland. I hope the Bolts win in a blowout, but I think this could end up as a tight, close game.

After the debacle in week 2, the thing I've been hoping all year is, "I hope that week 17 game means something." I got my wish, now hopefully the team can come up big one more time. I definitely think the NFL moves this one to the Sunday night slot.

I don't think I'm gonna watch.
Right now after watching this last game, I feel this same way.There is a ton wrong with the Broncos right now and SD is playing very well. It will take a miracle for the Broncos to win. :football:
I don't think the Chargers are playing all that well. It took a miracle in KC for them to even be in this situation. Their secondary keeps getting picked apart and we aren't running the ball that well. Shut down Rivers and you shut down the Boltz.
I dont think Denver can shut down anyone

I can't believe that an 8-8 team could end up making the playoffs. Awful. Goodell should step in, rule that no team from the AFC West gets in and give the playoff spot to one of those AFC East teams.

This is starting to be a trend for the Jay Cutler led Broncos.

Last year all they needed to do to make the playoffs was beat the 49ers at home in week 17.

This year they need to win just 1 out of their final 3 games, and it looks like they may choke this one away too.

You can talk about being young or whine about injuries, but good teams get it done and not lose to teams like KC, Oakland and a Buffalo team that started the week on the verge of cashing in the season.

This is starting to be a trend for the Jay Cutler led Broncos.

Last year all they needed to do to make the playoffs was beat the 49ers at home in week 17.

This year they need to win just 1 out of their final 3 games, and it looks like they may choke this one away too.

You can talk about being young or whine about injuries, but good teams get it done and not lose to teams like KC, Oakland and a Buffalo team that started the week on the verge of cashing in the season.
That was two years ago - Cutlers rookie year. The night that DWilliams died.Your point still stands though.

The NFL wants to generate and maintain a national interest in its league. It wants to give regions equal weight. The playoff system is similar to the Electoral College in that regard. You may not like it but others argue its a hell of a lot of better than say baseball where all the focus is on Yankees and Red Sox every year, regardless of how they do.
MLB has the same system as the NFL with division winners gaining automatic berths.

BusterTBronco said:
I can't believe that an 8-8 team could end up making the playoffs. Awful. Goodell should step in, rule that no team from the AFC West gets in and give the playoff spot to one of those AFC East teams.
You mean one of those 9-7 AFC East teams?
Uh, both the Patriots and Dolphins are already guaranteed to be at least 10-6. Nice try there though. In fact, if the Jets beat the Dolphins, all 3 could finish 10-6 with 2 of them missing the playoffs. But hey, congrats to the potential 8-8 San Diego AFC West champions.

Neither team has much defense. I'm expecting something like a 45-42 score.
San Diego has been playing much better defense since they ditched Cottrell. They still lack a pass rush though which is always a killer.

This year we almost saw an 11-5 team miss the playoffs while an 8-8 team made it. That will happen eventually. Since the NFL realigned the conferences, the odds of this happening have increased significantly. The NFL really should change the playoff structure sooner rather than later. At the very least, there's no legitimate reason for the Chargers to have a home game against the Colts.

This year we almost saw an 11-5 team miss the playoffs while an 8-8 team made it. That will happen eventually. Since the NFL realigned the conferences, the odds of this happening have increased significantly. The NFL really should change the playoff structure sooner rather than later. At the very least, there's no legitimate reason for the Chargers to have a home game against the Colts.
what you suggest be changed? No automatic playoffs for division champs? What is the purpose for divisions then? Why not lump all teams into one division?I like the fact that the division title means something and has some level of prestige.And, it's not like this has never happened before. Looking at the broncos historically (because I have their pro-football-reference.com page open), the Broncos missed the playoffs in '85 w/ an 11-5 record, while an 8-8 brown team made it. I'm sure it's happened to many other teams as well.

BusterTBronco said:
It's not going to be a great game. Chargers should win in a landslide. This Denver Broncos team has no heart, no pride, and no poise.
you forgot no defense

Am I missing something? Can't this happen this year?Miami, New England and Baltimore are all 10-5 right now. The Colts already have 1 Wild Card spot locked up. Miami, New England and Baltimore could all win next week leaving them all 11-5. If San Diego beats Denver, they'd both be 8-8 with San Diego winning the division and making the playoffs at 8-8.

Which would mean one of New England/Baltimore missing the playoffs at 11-5 while San Diego makes it at 8-8.

Or am I missing something somewhere?

You mean the Pats or the Jets who both lost to the Chargers this season? By a combined score of 78-39?

Last edited by a moderator:
BusterTBronco said:
BusterTBronco said:
Uh, both the Patriots and Dolphins are already guaranteed to be at least 10-6. Nice try there though. In fact, if the Jets beat the Dolphins, all 3 could finish 10-6 with 2 of them missing the playoffs. But hey, congrats to the potential 8-8 San Diego AFC West champions.
There is something kinda pathetic about a Bills fan whose only refuge of pride is the fact that other AFC East teams might qualify for the playoffs as a wildcard. Since you guys have never actually won anything, I guess that's all you have.
:shrug: Nice, whip out the personal attacks instead of admitting how weak it would be for an 8-8 team to make the playoffs. Of course, we all know that one of the reasons the AFC East has so many wins is that they feasted on the AFC West. And as pathetic as the Bills are this year, they managed to sweep the putrid AFC West, including the fading Broncos.

what you suggest be changed? No automatic playoffs for division champs? What is the purpose for divisions then? Why not lump all teams into one division?I like the fact that the division title means something and has some level of prestige.And, it's not like this has never happened before. Looking at the broncos historically (because I have their pro-football-reference.com page open), the Broncos missed the playoffs in '85 w/ an 11-5 record, while an 8-8 brown team made it. I'm sure it's happened to many other teams as well.
Yes, no automatic playoffs for division champs. It's a four team division -- it's pretty obvious that nondeserving teams will eventually make the playoffs in this system; i.e. the top 6 teams in the conference will all come from three divisions. It's not some far fetched scenario like it was when there were three divisions.What line would you draw? For example, if the Cards went with Leinart this year, the NFC West Champ might be 6-10. Would a 6-10 NFC West Champ really deserve an automatic berth?

What line would you draw?
I'd suggest keeping the playoff system the way it is now, with one simple caveat: teams must have a winning season to qualify for the post-season. If a team would be in a position to earn a berth but finished 8-8 (or worse), their spot would be taken by the most deserving team that didn't make the playoffs. That team would go in as the lowest seed and every other qualifying team would move up one position.

Yes, no automatic playoffs for division champs. It's a four team division -- it's pretty obvious that nondeserving teams will eventually make the playoffs in this system; i.e. the top 6 teams in the conference will all come from three divisions. It's not some far fetched scenario like it was when there were three divisions.What line would you draw? For example, if the Cards went with Leinart this year, the NFC West Champ might be 6-10. Would a 6-10 NFC West Champ really deserve an automatic berth?
if division winners are not automatic playoff entry, then the division crown means nothing. That significantly decreases the importance of intra-divisional games and the drama these games hold.For example - here is a game between an 8-7 and 7-8 team that means a heck of alot - enough to get it's own thread a week in advance. It means something. Meaningful games in December make the NFL tick.

what you suggest be changed? No automatic playoffs for division champs? What is the purpose for divisions then? Why not lump all teams into one division?I like the fact that the division title means something and has some level of prestige.

And, it's not like this has never happened before. Looking at the broncos historically (because I have their pro-football-reference.com page open), the Broncos missed the playoffs in '85 w/ an 11-5 record, while an 8-8 brown team made it. I'm sure it's happened to many other teams as well.
if division winners are not automatic playoff entry, then the division crown means nothing. That significantly decreases the importance of intra-divisional games and the drama these games hold.For example - here is a game between an 8-7 and 7-8 team that means a heck of alot - enough to get it's own thread a week in advance. It means something. Meaningful games in December make the NFL tick.
The division crown will mean something in most years in most divisions, when the division winner isn't a bad team. And when a bad team wins a division crown, that's great evidence that that division crown means nothing.What do you think about my Cardinals question? Would you be comfortable with a 6-10 playoff team?

Going to be a great game...the Chargers are showing up, the Broncos will be slinging.

Dusting off the Alworth jersey and heading to the local watering hole for this one.

Meaningful games in December make the NFL tick.
If you want meaningful games in December, then you really should get rid of the automatic division berths. See the 2008 Arizona Cardinals, the 2007 Tampa Bay Bucs, etc. This 4-team, 4-division structure has created more meaningless games than ever before.

what you suggest be changed? No automatic playoffs for division champs? What is the purpose for divisions then? Why not lump all teams into one division?I like the fact that the division title means something and has some level of prestige.

And, it's not like this has never happened before. Looking at the broncos historically (because I have their pro-football-reference.com page open), the Broncos missed the playoffs in '85 w/ an 11-5 record, while an 8-8 brown team made it. I'm sure it's happened to many other teams as well.
I'd argue that the regional rivalries and meaningful regular season games that divisional play helps create is more important over the long run than the occasional 9-7 team getting in over a 10-6 team in another division. You can always argue strength of schedule is the difference between teams with records that are close, so it's not like record is the definitive determinant between two teams. If the Broncos had won today, but lost next week against the Chargers (8-8) to finish 9-7, I still think San Diego was the better and more deserving team.

I disagree. I like automatic home games for division champs. Division titles should have meaning, and I think it benefits the NFL for fans in every region to have home playoff games. The NFL is going to be able to market playoff football to the Southwest via the Cardinals, ans possibly the Chargers. The Broncos are more Rockies but cover a region as well.

BusterTBronco said:
The Chargers crushed both the Pats and Jets (and lost 17-10 to the Dolphins in Miami) so that undermines your righteous indignation a bit IMO.

Denver tends to show up when no one expects them to. I think the game will be decided by 7 points or less and could go either way. Those expecting a San Diego blowout might be disappointed.

If any Charger fans have an extra ticket that they need to get rid of for something less than an arm and a leg, I'm your guy.

Otherwise, looks like I'll be craigslisting it this week, and paying 3X face for nosebleeds. :shrug:

Meaningful games in December make the NFL tick.
If you want meaningful games in December, then you really should get rid of the automatic division berths. See the 2008 Arizona Cardinals, the 2007 Tampa Bay Bucs, etc. This 4-team, 4-division structure has created more meaningless games than ever before.
And if a Jets team that "deserves" to make the playoffs more than a crappy SD or DEN team..... here's an idea; beat one of them during the regular season and then you won't be on the bubble in the first place. Seems like a pretty elegant solution to me.Chase, honestly there just isn't much separating these teams that barely make the playoffs and barely miss the playoffs. Just like every year. Just like in every sport. No matter the divisional alignment or rules to get in.

Users who are viewing this thread