What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Chargers 2023 Thread - Had A VERY Nice Season *** (1 Viewer)

I can't judge the Eric Kendricks signing, but many seem to think that, at the same price, he's a better short-term (1-2 years) prospect than Tranquill. And he's probably cheaper. (We'll see what Tranquill signs for.)

I'm assuming none of Stick's contract is guaranteed? So he could just be a training camp body with an outside shot at a roster spot...

I read at BFTB that he got a $152.5K signing bonus and $1M guaranteed. Not sure that was in addition to the bonus or inclusive of the bonus. Probably the latter.

Seems to me that they see him as the QB2.

I don't blame Ekeler for wanting a market-price extension. (Rumor is he wants at least $12 million per year?) I also don't blame the Chargers for not wanting to spend that much at the RB position. It'd be great to get a second-rounder for him. Otherwise, I think the best strategy is to let him play out his contract and become an unrestricted free agent in 2024. (Maybe they could promise not to tag him in 2024 in exchange for not holding in.)

I very seriously doubt any team would trade a 2nd for him and then give him a top 5 RB contract. I don’t think him having permission to seek a trade is going to yield the result he seems to be hoping for.

Busy couple of days (as it is for all teams).

Pipkins gets a 3 year deal. What a turnaround he completed last season. I hope that he can maintain and improve his play level, and that he's not getting paid for one anomalous season.

Filer released. He wasn't a plus last year, so I think it'll be an upgrade letting Salyer move in to that spot (assuming Slater is healthy and can resume at LT). With that, the starting OL should be good.

Sarrell re-signed, he needs to improve, but it's a good price for a backup with some upside.

Dicker re-signed, he earned it. Again, I hope he can sustain his play level (and improve on it in terms of playoff performance), and this isn't an anomalous season reward. I'd imagine this means the end of Hopkins on the Chargers at some point. Tough break for him, he didn't do anything to lose the job besides getting hurt and opening the door for Dicker.

Morgan Fox re-signed, he was a good part of the interior line rotation, again I hope he can maintain the level he rose to last season.

Adderly retires after 4 seasons. Not sure how easy he'll be to replace - I suppose the plan is for an internal promotion. What does this do to the cap, and does it make it any more likely that they can keep Tranquill, or does Adderly's money have to go to another DB to keep that unit in shape?

I'd imagine this means the end of Hopkins on the Chargers at some point.

$1.1M of Hopkins' 2023 salary becomes guaranteed tomorrow. If they don't release him before that, I would have to assume they are going to keep him and release Dicker at some point. It doesn't make sense to waste $1.1M+ on a "competition" based on what we saw last season. Plus, Hopkins has a $5.5M cap hit in 2024, whereas Dicker will still be under team control for much less. I will be annoyed if they don't release Hopkins within the next 24 hours.

Adderly retires after 4 seasons. Not sure how easy he'll be to replace - I suppose the plan is for an internal promotion.

IMO it was a given that Adderley wasn't going to be back, given the cap challenge and the fact that he never really played up to expectations. There has been a lot of speculation that the Chargers will sign John Johnson, who was just released by the Browns and started for Staley on the 2020 Rams. I assume it depends on his price tag.

What does this do to the cap, and does it make it any more likely that they can keep Tranquill

I think Tranquill is gone unless he gets humbled by the market and is willing to come back for less than Kendricks, and I don't see that happening.

$1.1M of Hopkins' 2023 salary becomes guaranteed tomorrow. If they don't release him before that, I would have to assume they are going to keep him and release Dicker at some point. It doesn't make sense to waste $1.1M+ on a "competition" based on what we saw last season. Plus, Hopkins has a $5.5M cap hit in 2024, whereas Dicker will still be under team control for much less. I will be annoyed if they don't release Hopkins within the next 24 hours.

Adderly retires after 4 seasons. Not sure how easy he'll be to replace - I suppose the plan is for an internal promotion.

IMO it was a given that Adderley wasn't going to be back, given the cap challenge and the fact that he never really played up to expectations. There has been a lot of speculation that the Chargers will sign John Johnson, who was just released by the Browns and started for Staley on the 2020 Rams. I assume it depends on his price tag.

What does this do to the cap, and does it make it any more likely that they can keep Tranquill

I think Tranquill is gone unless he gets humbled by the market and is willing to come back for less than Kendricks, and I don't see that happening.
Was Dicker locked in or can another team still poach him?

Was Dicker locked in or can another team still poach him?

He was an ERFA, and the Chargers signed him. They could release him with zero or minimal dead cap, so that part would be fine. But IMO the combination of price and performance means they should be keeping Dicker, not Hopkins.

Norton is a big, strong, tough guy who can be a fine (though inconsistent) run-blocker. He'll never be a good pass-blocker. No team should want him as a starter, but he can be worth a roster spot for a cap-strapped team as an aspirationally average backup.

Storm Norton signed by the Saints. Oh no.

I guess whatever blackmail materials he had on whoever in the front office have expired.

Parham, Scott re-sign with the Chargers.

Tranquill signs with the Chiefs, 1 year $5M. Something seems off there.

I’d still like to see the reunion with Dalton Schultz. Herbert would love him, and he’s a good fit. Better than Parham & Everett. Not the quickest, but runs good routes, finds holes in the zone & consistently presents the QB with a big sure-handed target.

Makeitso.gif

I’d still like to see the reunion with Dalton Schultz. Herbert would love him, and he’s a good fit. Better than Parham & Everett. Not the quickest, but runs good routes, finds holes in the zone & consistently presents the QB with a big sure-handed target.

Makeitso.gif

They don't have the cap space for it, and this is a deep draft for TEs. I expect them to draft a TE within the first 3 rounds, probably in round 2.

Fehoko signs with Pittsburgh. Interior DL seems thin again, and it wasn't spectacular to start with. Will they use draft picks on this position?

DeAndre Carter signs with the Raiders. Lotta holes opening up on the fringes of this team. I don't think it can all be addressed via the draft.

Chargers 2023 Roster Thoughts: Post-Free Agency, Pre-Draft

Needs​

Seeing that position breakdown makes it easy to identify how the 12 combined roster spots for draft picks and free agents should be allocated. In no particular order, the team needs the following:

• 0-1 QB - I assume they will roster 3 QBs
  • 2-3 WRs - will they keep 5 or 6? if they roster a QB3, probably only 5
  • 1 TE
  • 1 depth IOL, who needs to be able to play center
  • 1 depth OT
  • 1 Edge
  • 2 IDL
  • 1 ILB
  • 1 CB
  • 1 S

Action Plan​

Here is a possible action plan:
  1. Use 1.21 to draft Edge
  2. Use 2.23 to draft TE
  3. Use 3.22 to draft WR with speed
  4. Use 4.23 to draft IDL
  5. Use 5.22 to draft IOL who can play center
  6. Use 6.23 to draft CB
  7. Use 7.22 to draft QB3
  8. Re-sign Guyton to complete the WR group
  9. Sign John Johnson to start at safety
  10. Sign veteran free agent IDL
  11. Sign veteran free agent OT
  12. Sign best UDFA ILB available
If it were me, I would also release or trade Murray to clear ~$2.3M in cap space, which I would use to sign KVN. But I don't think the team is going to do that.

As for my list, this is obviously just one possible plan out of a huge number of possibilities. To comment on a couple variations:
  • If they wanted to bring Callahan back, I would be in favor of that, and would switch the 6.23 pick to IDL or OT, eliminating one of the free agent needs.
  • If they wanted to bring KVN back even without releasing Murray, I would be in favor of that, and it would replace my #12 item in this list.

I posted that just before the news that the Chargers re-signed Clapp. So take away one roster spot and one need and use 5.22 on IDL or OT.

Might they need to consider taking a shot at another RB?

If they can (a) draft Bijan at #21 AND (b) make a draft day 1 trade of Ekeler for a 3rd or high 4th round pick, then yes. Otherwise, NO.

They have spent 4 picks in the past 3 drafts on Kelley, Spiller, Rountree, and Horvath. They cannot keep burning draft capital on RBs... it is one reason they have such a challenge with depth right now.... and they haven't even given Spiller a chance yet. They should trust Moore and a healthier OL to improve the running game without needing different RBs.

Has any NFL team ever drafted 2 players of the same position from the same school within the first 4 rounds before?

I’m surprised you guys haven’t drafted a TE yet — are you going to re-sign Everett? Is Parham gonna be his replacement?

Editing this post throughout the draft, will wrap up with day 3 results later today/tonight: 2023 Draft Rankings/Discussion

Through 5 rounds, I don't think this has been a very good draft.
Always appreciate your analysis GB. I hate the Davis pick and can't believe we didn't draft a TE. Given that it was Moore who won the battle of which WR to choose in round 1, I think it's confirmed that Staley better take this team deep into the playoffs or he's going to be looking for a job.

I really don't understand about half the picks they did. It's hard to know anything at this point, all speculation, but I do like the Tuli, McFadden, and Matlock picks at least.

Any feelings about the UDFA crop?

Tough schedule. Unlikely they can back their way into the playoffs, they'll actually have to play consistently good/great football to be successful this year. Good test for this squad.

Ekeler in camp. Will be interesting to see what Moore does with him, and what this offensive line achieves in terms of giving him room to run.

A few details coming out about Herbert's extension.

5 years, $262.5 M.

$218 M guaranteed.

$100 M paid in year 1 of the contract.

2024 cap hit goes from $29.5 M to roughly $19 M (no idea why).

Seems like what they had to do to keep him here.

Assuming he plays the full contract, the Chargers will have him for 9 (8?) years in his prime. If they can't win a super bowl over that span (and they've already wasted his 3 cheapest years), the owners should be showered in boiling oil until they agree to sell the team.

5 years, $262.5 M.

$218 M guaranteed.

Assuming he plays the full contract, the Chargers will have him for 9 (8?) years in his prime. If they can't win a super bowl over that span (and they've already wasted his 3 cheapest years), the owners should be showered in boiling oil until they agree to sell the team.
Ask Dan Marino how hard it was to win a Super Bowl…..that’s a terrible outlook Charger fans.

You have a franchise QB the Dolphins gifted to you.

Only one QB has thrown more TD’s in his
First three seasons than Herbert.

Dan Marino.

What I would give to have those Marino years back…..we always had a chance, always competed and won a ton of football games.

Titles? You can only hope the team can stay healthy and have everything break right.

Herbert will be the least of the Chargers concerns In the quest for a title. It’s all about what’s put around him and the defense holding up their end of the bargain.

Meantime my Dolphins will be looking yet again very soon for another franchise QB. I have no faith that Tua can ever stay healthy for an entire season.

Herbert was a no brainer pick and my team (and Washington in hindsight) blew it again.

And yes I own a powder blue Herbert jersey….I loved that kid coming out of college.

Mancrush.

5 years, $262.5 M.

$218 M guaranteed.

Ask Dan Marino how hard it was to win a Super Bowl…..that’s a terrible outlook Charger fans.

Dan Marino.

What I would give to have those Marino years back…..we always had a chance, always competed and won a ton of football games.

Titles? You can only hope the team can stay healthy and have everything break right.

Herbert will be the least of the Chargers concerns In the quest for a title. It’s all about what’s put around him and the defense holding up their end of the bargain.

Meantime my Dolphins will be looking yet again very soon for another franchise QB. I have no faith that Tua can ever stay healthy for an entire season.

Herbert was a no brainer pick and my team (and Washington in hindsight) blew it again.

And yes I own a powder blue Herbert jersey….I loved that kid coming out of college.

Mancrush.
Wanting our team to finally win a championship during the tenure of one of the currently best QBs in the NFL is a terrible outlook? Sorry, I don't follow.

5 years, $262.5 M.

$218 M guaranteed.

Dan Marino.

Mancrush.
Wanting our team to finally win a championship during the tenure of one of the currently best QBs in the NFL is a terrible outlook? Sorry, I don't follow.
No blaming ownership.......they have made a lot of great moves. First of all......they paid the right guy (Herbert) and they have been surrounding him with good talent on the offensive side of the ball.

I guess my point is...enjoy the journey with this bright young star regardless of the results.....because I think you are all gonna get a great career outta Herbert and a lot of great memories. I do think he will win a title too BTW. He is that special. Consider me a closet Chargers fan. I am a huge Justin Herbert supporter.

5 years, $262.5 M.

$218 M guaranteed.

Dan Marino.

Mancrush.
No blaming ownership.......they have made a lot of great moves. First of all......they paid the right guy (Herbert) and they have been surrounding him with good talent on the offensive side of the ball.

I guess my point is...enjoy the journey with this bright young star regardless of the results.....because I think you are all gonna get a great career outta Herbert and a lot of great memories. I do think he will win a title too BTW. He is that special. Consider me a closet Chargers fan. I am a huge Justin Herbert supporter.
I give them zero credit for giving him an extension - you'd have less than 2 functioning brain cells not to.

Ownership since Dean took over has been pretty bad. Had Miami taken Herbert instead of Tua, the Chargers franchise would probably be bottom feeding right now.

Spiller, Dotson, Davis all looked really good tonight on offense. Offensive line had a nice game too. Grain of salt cause the Rams were 2, 3, 4 string on D from the open.

Stick looked better than I've ever seen him.

Johnston did drop what should have been a long gain. He was under duress but he had both hands on it and should have had it. Solid game otherwise.

No one really stood out on D in a good way. Lots of issues with the DBs. They better clean that up as some of the culprits are slated for playing time in the regular season.

Roundtree released. It'll be interesting to see what transpires among the RBs in the remaining pre-season games. @Just Win Baby figures Dotson will be odd person out. If he shows like he did Saturday in subsequent games, it'll be tough to stash him on the practice squad. I'm hoping he can be average or better on special teams and they can ditch Horvath. They can never have enough game speed, and Dotson seems to have some. A year from now, they may very well want to have this guy around if/when Ekeler moves on. Still, it was just one game against a bad defense. Hopefully he can be successful against stiffer competition the next few weeks.

Spiller looked good too. No confusion play wise, ran decisively with some power. Would be a nice compliment to Ekeler and Kelly if he can keep it up.

Telesco's perception of reality is...different:

"Said Telesco: "I didn't feel that [the culture issue]. I didn't feel it during the season. I didn't even feel that during the [playoff] game.""

:unsure:

"Said Telesco: "I didn't feel that [the culture issue]. I didn't feel it during the season. I didn't even feel that during the [playoff] game.""

He needs to get his "feelers" checked then. I felt that second half coming like a bad shoe drop. I knew it was coming. For some reason the Chargers make every game an adventure. Not sure why. I just wait for the punt return for a td or an interception or fumble at the goaline or the inevitable field goal as time expires...I just do. :shrug:

He needs to get his "feelers" checked then. I felt that second half coming like a bad shoe drop. I knew it was coming. For some reason the Chargers make every game an adventure. Not sure why. I just wait for the punt return for a td or an interception or fumble at the goaline or the inevitable field goal as time expires...I just do. :shrug:
In that particular game, the idiotic Bandy jet sweep on third and like 3 was the moment I knew they were in trouble. That was the McCree event in that contest.

Random musings as we head toward the final cuts.

Dotson looked better to me than Spiller. Granted, some of Dotson's time was against the 3' 4, 5s, but he still looked better. Seemed like Spiller didn't get much time this last game.

There are a couple of depth pieces on oline that played well. I hope the staff is willing to give up on guys like Sarrel and others who've proved over several years they aren't capable.

Stick's pocket awareness is awful for someone who's been playing qb this long. Duggan isn't good. He can tuck and run and that's about it. Any game they'd have to fill in for Herbert will be a likely loss, not even game manager skills there. They should be looking outside for a QB 2 that could give them a chance if Herbert had miss a game or two. They won't do this and will probably blow 2 roster spots on guys who can't help them win.

Lots of depth on D. Some hard choices to make. Woods played well this preseason. I hope they keep Clark on the roster, while not great, he looked the best of the guys who are competing for that last idl spot.

Henley showed flashes, but also looked lost at times out there. Should have had another pick and was lucky to hold on to the one he got. Still, good potential there.

I liked the ways they were experimenting with getting Davis the ball. They need to keep doing that in the regular season, take advantage of his speed and game breaking ability.

Kemp has been cut. Hope he makes it to the practice squad, I thought he looked good this preseason.

Random musings as we head toward the final cuts.

Dotson looked better to me than Spiller. Granted, some of Dotson's time was against the 3' 4, 5s, but he still looked better. Seemed like Spiller didn't get much time this last game.

There are a couple of depth pieces on oline that played well. I hope the staff is willing to give up on guys like Sarrel and others who've proved over several years they aren't capable.

Stick's pocket awareness is awful for someone who's been playing qb this long. Duggan isn't good. He can tuck and run and that's about it. Any game they'd have to fill in for Herbert will be a likely loss, not even game manager skills there. They should be looking outside for a QB 2 that could give them a chance if Herbert had miss a game or two. They won't do this and will probably blow 2 roster spots on guys who can't help them win.

Lots of depth on D. Some hard choices to make. Woods played well this preseason. I hope they keep Clark on the roster, while not great, he looked the best of the guys who are competing for that last idl spot.

Henley showed flashes, but also looked lost at times out there. Should have had another pick and was lucky to hold on to the one he got. Still, good potential there.

I liked the ways they were experimenting with getting Davis the ball. They need to keep doing that in the regular season, take advantage of his speed and game breaking ability.
I’m pleasantly surprised with the entire RB room and run blocking so far. Have to agree that Davis has some potential so I’m less down on that draft pick than I was when they pulled it.

Backup QB is a hole but this team is done if Herbert has to sit for any extended length of time.

I’m glad they made it out of preseason without major injury. (Fingers crossed). Bring on Miami.

My comments by position group:
  • Offense
    • QB
      • Herbert and Stick are obvious locks for final 53
      • I hope Duggan is waived to practice squad, but not counting on it
    • RB
      • IMO Ekeler, Kelley, and Spiller are the only 3 to make final 53, and IMO all are locks
      • I disagree that Dotson looked better than Spiller... he had two good runs against 3rd+ string guys on the Rams, one of the worst teams in the league this year, many of whom won't even make an NFL practice squad... in the next game, he had 2 drops and blew a pass blocking assignment... he is a UDFA who flashed a little and should make the practice squad, nothing more, nothing less
    • FB
      • I expect Horvath to make it as a core special teams player even though Moore has not typically used a FB much on offense
    • WR
      • Allen, Williams, Johnston, Palmer, and Davis are obvious locks
      • If they keep Duggan, I think they go with 5 WRs... but I would probably go with just 5 anyway (not including Guyton, who will be on PUP)... if they keep a 6th WR, it would probably be Doss, and then he will almost certainly just be inactive on gamedays, so what's the point?
    • TE
      • Everett, Parham, and, yes, McKitty are locks... just can't see the front office and coaching staff agreeing to give up on 3rd round pick McKitty after 2 seasons, even though he has played poorly... maybe next year
      • It seems likely they will keep a 4th TE, presumably Smartt, though personally I think Kampmoyer is a better addition to the top 3 than Smartt is
    • OL
      • These guys are locks: Slater, Zion, Linsley, Salyer, Pipkins, McFadden, Clapp, and Sarell... yes, even though Sarell has looked awful, I think they will refuse to give up on him at this point
      • I think they will keep 9, and I think Bailey is the 9th guy, and Jaimes gets waived, possibly to end up on the practice squad
  • Defense
    • Edge
      • One of the easiest position groups... they will keep 4, and all are obvious: Bosa, Mack, Tuli, Rumph
      • The Chargers had a few others who played well in camp/preseason (Kemp, Farmer, and Shelby, in particular), expect at least 2 of them to end up on the practice squad
    • IDL
      • Assuming Ogbonnia will start on PUP, IMO they will keep 6 others
      • Johnson, SJD, Fox, and Matlock are locks, leaving 2 positions for Clark, Hinton, and Williams
      • I would choose Clark and Williams and try to get Hinton to the practice squad
    • ILB
      • Suddenly, this position group looks much stronger than in the recent past... Murray and Henley have played well in camp/preseason, and so did Niemann and Obgongbemiga when given their opportunities
      • All 4 of them plus Kendricks are locks, and I don't think there is anyone else to seriously consider
    • CB
      • Jackson, Davis, Samuel, Taylor, and Leonard are locks
      • I think there is a decision point about keeping a 6th CB or a 5th safety... I would keep Cam Brown as the 6th corner, but I suspect the team will go the other way; if so, I hope Brown makes it to the practice squad
    • S
      • James, Gilman, and Woods are locks, and I think Layne probably is also, even if only for special teams
      • I suspect the team will keep Webb as its 5th safety instead of keeping Brown as the 6th corner; if not, I assume Webb will end up on the practice squad
  • Special Teams
    • Harris and Scott are obvious locks
    • Dicker has been the obvious choice over Hopkins since before the league year began in March, and he still is... if they cannot trade Hopkins and have to waive him, they just threw away $1.1M in cap space this year (or next year via rollover)
This is a deep and seemingly healthy team. One of the strongest I can remember in my 20 years of following the Chargers.

If this team doesn't suffer major injuries, it should be a contender to win the division and contend for a Super Bowl. Again, barring major injuries, I'm expecting 12 regular season wins at minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread