What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL CINCY BENGALS 2021-22 THREAD - Chase not hurt :) (1 Viewer)

Congrats fellas!  As a Steelers fan it feels weird to root for a division rival team but here I am.  I suspect the Bengals are going to be the kings of the North for quite some time so this will likely be the last time I root for them.  Enjoy the next 2 weeks!

Congrats Bengals fans. You guys have waited a long, long time. You deserve this. 

Now finish the job and either wipe that silly ####### mustache off of Kroenke’s face or that stupid beard off the face of The Rat’s son. 

:thumbup:
Considering you're a Chiefs fan, really immense class here. If we hadn't pulled this one off, I can't honestly say I'd be on the boards congratulating anyone. No way. Thanks on behalf of all Bengals fans. 👍 Good luck next year, and Mahomes' struggles today are being blown way out of proportion. He was that close to going to a third consecutive Super Bowl. That's ridiculous, and you guys are not going anywhere.

Congratulations Bengals Fans!  One of the best feelings as a sports fan is that improbable (per the odds and general expectations) run when an underdog catches fire.  Way more fun than winning a game you were "supposed to win" as favorites.  Combined with the 30+ year SB / playoff drought since 1989 (not to mention the Reds since 1990) and having a young and up and coming team, it must feel amazing.  Being a Philly fan I speak from some experience in breaking through after 30+ year droughts.  I'll be rooting for you guys in the Superbowl... but if this turns into too much of a habit I reserve the right to turn on you like I did to Brady and the Patriots after that first SB over Rams.   ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Bengals Fans!  One of the best feelings as a sports fan is that improbable (per the odds and general expectations) run when an underdog catches fire.  Way more fun than winning a game you were "supposed to win" as favorites.  Combined with the 30+ year SB / playoff drought since 1989 (not to mention the Reds since 1990) and having a young and up and coming team, it must feel amazing.  Being a Philly fan I speak from some experience in breaking through after 30+ year droughts.  I'll be rooting for you guys in the Superbowl... but if this turns into too much of a habit I reserve the right to turn on you like I did to Brady and the Patriots after that first SB over Rams.   ;)
Surely doesn’t give the feel of a one and done. As long as Burrow doesn’t go cheating Tom on the NFL I’m good with whatever happens.

Can’t take it for granted.  I think Marino went to a Superbowl his second year and never got back.  
Looks like they've got Burrow and Higgins still on their rookie deals in 2023 and Chase in 2023 and 2024.  Trey Hendrickson is signed through 2023 and 2024.  They basically get another free year or so to run it back and then it will get a little more interesting with resigning these guys but as of now they're projected to look ok on cap space.  And who knows, in the meantime maybe Burrow will marry a supermodel and he can give the Bengals a discount?

Looks like they've got Burrow and Higgins still on their rookie deals in 2023 and Chase in 2023 and 2024.  Trey Hendrickson is signed through 2023 and 2024.  They basically get another free year or so to run it back and then it will get a little more interesting with resigning these guys but as of now they're projected to look ok on cap space.  And who knows, in the meantime maybe Burrow will marry a supermodel and he can give the Bengals a discount?

Great roster situation, and I think you are gonna see some key free agent guys WANT to play here.   They are set at bookend, need to get Bates situation figured out.    Really need two stud OL in free agency.   db situation a little dicey.    This is the best their roster has looked since the Palmer/ocho/housh days

I noticed how late the Bengals will begin their offseason program, much later than everyone else and thought it peculiar but saw this in Peter Kings MMQB which explains why.

Makes a lot of sense.

===============

6. I think no one should care very much that the Bengals pushed back the start of their offseason program two weeks, to May 2. If the Bengals go 8-9 this year and fall to the floor of the AFC North with a thud, not one single person will say, It’s all because Zac Taylor pushed back the start of the offseason program two weeks.

7. I think offseason workouts have always been overrated. Not that I think they’re unimportant. They matter. But think of it this way, related to the Bengals. Cleveland and Baltimore both went home for the offseason on Monday, Jan. 10. (Pittsburgh went home a week later, after a first-round playoff loss.) The Bengals practiced for the next five weeks and played four games. So, players in Cleveland and Baltimore will have had 14 weeks between their last games and the start of the April 18 offseason program. Cincinnati will have had 11 weeks between its last game and the start of the offseason program … and the Bengals had five weeks of practice that two of the teams in the division didn’t have. In many ways, I wouldn’t have faulted Taylor if he gave his players more time off than he did. 

I’m not really that worried about the Bates situation. A safety taking a year off would be career suicide and even if he’s somehow gone I don’t think it would have a noticeable impact. 

Of course, I’d rather him play 1 more season in Cincy. 

Yes, problem as in good.

Solid on all levels of the defense. DL with Hendrickson, Hubbard, Reader, and Hill are underrated all around, none of them get enough credit for how they have been playing, not to mention we get Ossai back which should be a great addition passing downs. Logan Wilson is going to be a star, Awuzie is one of the most underrated CB in the league, but can shutdown the other teams #1, Bates is easily one of the top 5 (arguably top 3) safeties in the league. Dax Hill has been playing lights out in the 2 games so far in preseason. Germaine Pratt, Mike Hilton, Eli Apple, and Vonn Bell can hold their own.

Burrow and this offense gets all the love and maybe rightfully so, but I am absolutely loving this defense this year.

Yes, problem as in good.

Solid on all levels of the defense. DL with Hendrickson, Hubbard, Reader, and Hill are underrated all around, none of them get enough credit for how they have been playing, not to mention we get Ossai back which should be a great addition passing downs. Logan Wilson is going to be a star, Awuzie is one of the most underrated CB in the league, but can shutdown the other teams #1, Bates is easily one of the top 5 (arguably top 3) safeties in the league. Dax Hill has been playing lights out in the 2 games so far in preseason. Germaine Pratt, Mike Hilton, Eli Apple, and Vonn Bell can hold their own.

Burrow and this offense gets all the love and maybe rightfully so, but I am absolutely loving this defense this year.
I don't know specific players on the Bengals D, but I DO know that Eli Apple is warmed over garbage.

Haven't seen them yet but I don't get the struggles on offense.
Bengals did what was needed and invested in the offensive line so I thought the beatings Joe had taken would lesson but it 'seems' he's still getting bashed.
They have the QB, RB, O-Line, WRs complete with the stellar offensive rookie of the year and what looked like a solid defense.
Sure, some expected SB hangover or regression but...
It is early in the season, lots of games to be played and they are only a game behind in the division and I think they will turn it around, but they need to protect Burrow.

I think the lack of any playing time at all with 4 new linemen was a really bad idea. They need to gel and fast. It hasn't just been the line but I think that's been a major factor. Collins has looked awful - like Bobby Hart level awful. I sure as hell ain't giving up on this team and they have shown a lot of heart in coming back from behind in these games but the slow starts cannot keep happening.
-QG

That was a rough one to watch yesterday. O-line has certainly had their problems, but not all the sacks are their faults. Burrow needs to do a better job of either working up into the pocket to throw or getting rid of the ball. He tends to hold on too long, when a veteran would have already thrown it away. That is better than making it 2nd or 3rd and long killing the drive.

I thought for sure the defense would show up yesterday, but Cooper Rush in the first half made them look like swiss cheese. They did a better job in the 2nd half up until the game winning drive. It was like they forgot how to defend that last drive.

Stating the obvious but I would say week 3 against the Jets is a must win if I have ever seen one. Follow that up with a quick turn around game against the Dolphins on Thursday night then the Ravens. Ugh, we could be staring at a 1-4 start to the season.

Killer injury to Chase. 4-6 weeks at least.

They teased interest in OBJ in the offseason. They will need a reliable WR3. I’d say they need to make a trade or pursue OBJ. Burrow needs another weapon to get to playoffs.

I can see us maybe swinging a trade for a guy like Mims from the Jets or Marshall from the Panthers. Jets could be the rare player for player swap with their OL injuries perhaps a swap of disappointments - Mims for Carman - would be a fit.

Really not a lot of cap room to work with for some of the bigger names out there. Marquez Callaway is another guy in the right salary neighborhood.

-QG

I can see us maybe swinging a trade for a guy like Mims from the Jets or Marshall from the Panthers. Jets could be the rare player for player swap with their OL injuries perhaps a swap of disappointments - Mims for Carman - would be a fit.

Really not a lot of cap room to work with for some of the bigger names out there. Marquez Callaway is another guy in the right salary neighborhood.

-QG
I would take that deal in a heartbeat. You are correct. A player for player makes most sense and Carman is an obvious chip - if anyone wants him.

Killer injury to Chase. 4-6 weeks at least.

They teased interest in OBJ in the offseason. They will need a reliable WR3. I’d say they need to make a trade or pursue OBJ. Burrow needs another weapon to get to playoffs.
I might be stupid, but I say they are fine. Higgins and Boyd is still a very solid 1-2, and after that, next man up. The other WR's on the roster made it onto an NFL roster for a reason. Of course it wouldn't hurt to add one though. Someone very cheap like QG is suggesting. OBJ could be too much of a distraction. More of a 2000s Bengals thing to do.

I don't think the Panthers would want to take on that much dead money by trading Moore. I think that's probably too drastic a move on the Bengals side in terms of the contract mouths to feed coming up as well.

-QG

I might be stupid, but I say they are fine. Higgins and Boyd is still a very solid 1-2, and after that, next man up. The other WR's on the roster made it onto an NFL roster for a reason. Of course it wouldn't hurt to add one though. Someone very cheap like QG is suggesting. OBJ could be too much of a distraction. More of a 2000s Bengals thing to do.
If it turns out Chase is really only looking at 4-6 weeks I agree that Higgins and Boyd can hold the fort down. Burrow's rookie season he put up solid numbers with a rookie Higgins, Boyd, and no Chase. Ten games before his injury and he had 5 games over 300 yds (including a 400 yd game) and 4 games with at least 2 TDs (2 of those were 3 TDs). Their O-line is better now than then. Hurst has been solid, they don't have much after that though.

I would love to see them add OBJ but I doubt the contract would work out because he is probably looking for something long term and they don't really need him long term at the price he wants. I could see OBJ swallowing a bit of ego to play with fellow Tigers Burrow and Chase on a Super Bowl caliber team.

Marshall is an interesting option though. That 2019 LSU team was an offensive juggernaut with Burrow, Jefferson, Chase, CEH, and Marshall contributed as well. He would be cheap to acquire and probably have more chemistry and ability to produce with Burrow than the rotating door of mediocrity he has seen at Carolina in the last year and a half.

After looking at some of the chatter, I don’t think they will deal for a WR unless they can unload Carman. I do feel they will do something. As long as we get someone that would be above Thomas, Morgan, and Taylor on the depth chart, I would be happy.

This is also a great time for Evans to step up.

Not a bad remaining schedule for them, good idea to take care of it now so he is ready for the stretch run and playoffs. Currently I don't see any game remaining in 2022 where they won't be favored, then they get Buff and Ravens at home to start 2023. KC on 12/4 would be nice but not essential.

Users who are viewing this thread