What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official Dallas Cowboys Draft Talk/Results ** (1 Viewer)

cowboyz

Footballguy
1. Bobby Carpenter, Ohio State, OLB

2. Anthony Fasano, Notre Dame, TE

3. Jason Hatcher, Grambling, DE

4. skyler green, LSU, WR

5. Pat watkins, FSU, FS :excited:

6. Montavious Stanley, Louisville, NT

7. Pat Mcquistin, Weber, OG

8. EJ Whitley, Texas Tech, OT

1. Well, pick number 1 was great. I got a little worried after gosselin had the cowboys missing on all the 3-4 olbs.

2. JJ says they're going to the 2TE set, so fasano was pretty necessary. Watching Notre Dame, this was the only guy i thought was decent. IMO, Brady will be a bust. he misses so many throws when guys are wide open due to the genuis of charlie weiss. JJ also said they missed out on colledge from boise state. So that makes sense, add another TE since the RT is going to need blocking help, but still need to be able to threaten upfield vis a vis Dan Campbell. Ron Jaworksi also said this the best pick of the draft. :unsure:

3. Jason Hatcher. No idea, never heard of him. Some other blogs have stated he could be richard seymour. :lmao: BP seems to have good drafts when getting the small schools, so who knows.

4. Skyler Green. Parcells really likes LSU. green should give them better field position. seems to go in line with his importance on special teams, keeping keith davis, getting boiman. fasano and now green. BP on the call to him, also mentioned jokingly to practice throwing. randle el part 2 :excited: and to come join his homies :lmao:

5. Pat Watkins. Finally got the FS, and didn't have to draft him in the 3rd.

6. Reading some draft reports, he doesn't have a great motor, needs motivation. Listening to his interview though, it seems like he's an enthusiastic guy. :lmao: mms://bluestar.wmod.llnwd.net/a627/o1/stanley_interview_043006.wma

7. Dallas ticket radio is confused, there's a paul. so pat and paul might be twins. did dallas or the raiders screw up :lmao:

8. seems like a local boy that JJ convinced BP to draft

For the rest of the draft:

FS: watkins or simpson

NT: watson hopefully

G/OT: Scott, O'Callaghan, Giles

although, i'm willing to bet none of those will be picked by the cowboys, and they're looking at more jason hatchers.

also, I hate the buffalo bills :rant: the eagles draft picks were supposed to go to the bills and they completedly screwed up

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason Hatcher, DE

Grambling State

OVERVIEW

Hatcher is a vastly underrated talent in the mold of New England Patriots standout Richard Seymour. Like Seymour, Hatcher might be better suited for an end position in a 3-4 scheme, or he could bulk up and shift inside to tackle in a 4-3 alignment. The two-year starter shuttled between offense and defense for several games during the 2003 season before settling in at weakside defensive tackle as a junior.

The 2005 season saw Hatcher earn national honors. He was an All-America and All-Southwest Region selection, totaling a career-high 71 tackles (49 solos). He ranked seventh in the nation with 11 quarterback sacks and fourth with 21.5 stops for losses. He totaled 17 pressures with two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble. He also blocked a kick.

Hatcher appeared in 28 games, earning 17 starts for the Tigers. He recorded 117 tackles (65 solos) with 17 sacks for minus-136 yards and 33.5 stops for losses of 173 yards. He registered 24 quarterback pressures and blocked three kicks. He recovered two fumbles, caused another and deflected three passes.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a developing frame with long limbs, good strength, big bubble, wide waist and solid upper body muscle development...Can add more bulk to his frame with no drop-off in quickness...Has a quick short area burst to collapse the pocket and give chase in attempts to flush the quarterback out...Uses his hands with force to separate...Has the strength to stack and control at the line of scrimmage...Quick enough to stand up or line up in a two-point stance...Has patience while containing to shut down the reverse...When he stays low in his pads, he is very tough on tight ends and can hold his own vs. tackles in attempts to shed...Can jolt and stun ball carriers on impact as a hitter... Has an effective spin move to slip off the outside shoulder of tackles...Has very good leaping ability and times his jumps to deflect passes or block kicks at the line of scrimmage.

Negatives...Lacks loose hips, but shows good straight-line speed to close...Needs to stay lower in his pads, because when he gets high in his stance, he struggles to shed and can be neutralized by a physical double team...Shows good hand usage, but sometimes sticks to blockers too long...Has only adequate ability to diagnose the play, but is quick to attack once he locates the ball...When he comes off the ball at a high pad level, he leaves his chest too exposed to prevent the blocker from locking on...Can lose leverage because of his adequate knee bend and hip snap.

Hatcher is a tall athlete with long limbs, good bubble, adequate upper body muscle development and a frame that can carry at least another 15-20 pounds of bulk with no loss in quickness. He shows good balance and acceleration, coming off the snap with the suddenness needed to gain advantage. He is capable of standing up or playing in a two-point stance and uses his hands effectively to gain advantage coming off the snap.

Hatcher shows the speed to explode into the backfield, but appears a little stiff in his hips when trying to slide down the line. He can get by blockers quickly when he uses his hands to generate rip and swim moves, but when he gets too high in his stance, he struggles to disengage. He is effective at recognizing blocking schemes and plays as they develop, showing the patience needed while containing to shut down the reverse.

Hatcher is strong at the point of attack and can hold his own in one-on-one confrontations, but can get into trouble when he raises his pads and fails to knee bend. He has the functional strength to defeat blocks, but is not a two-gap type that can easily split double teams. He has good hand usage to separate, but will stick to blockers too long at times. He has the quick first step and strength to handle tight ends and hold his own vs. tackles. When working in-line, he demonstrates the hand jolt to discard blockers and the strength to shed, but only when he uses his hands to rip through holds.

Hatcher is best when playing off the line. He lacks loose hips and does not generate the sustained burst to be effective dropping off into the second level. He moves well through traffic, but needs to do a better job of taking angles to the ball when operating in space. He can jolt and stun a ball carrier on impact, but must improve his hip snap and roll to put more pop behind his tackles. He will generally wrap tackle, but will get a little careless with his arms and let a few runners get away.

As a pass rusher, Hatcher has a natural feel and good strength to collapse the pocket. He has the ability to dip when turning the corner, demonstrating a better spin move when coming off the edge than when working in-line. He closes flat down the line and flashes enough burst to flush out quarterbacks. He has the backside speed to run down passers and shows good urgency in his chase and attack.

Hatcher has only two good seasons of college football under his belt and will need time to develop. He is an effective edge rusher who needs to stays lower in his pads. He must improve his lateral range and while he shows good effort, he does not have the technique to consistently split double teams. In a 3-4 system, he could be an effective end, if lined up on the weak side. He might be better suited for tackle in a 4-3 alignment due to a lack of loose hips, but will have to bulk up if shifting to an interior position at the next level.

AGILITY NOTES

Campus: 4.86 in the 40-yard dash...390-pound bench press...500-pound squat...326-pound power clean...33.5-inch vertical jump...33 ½-inch arm length...10-inch hands.

Combine: 4.82-second 40-yard dash. ... 28 reps at 225 pounds. ... 35 1/2-inch vertical jump. ... 9'5" broad jump.

CAREER NOTES

Emerged as a blue chip prospect during his senior year...His 11 quarterback sacks ranked seventh in the NCAA Division 1-AA ranks in 2005...Finished fourth in the nation with a career-high 21.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage as a senior.
The word is, that the Cowboys have been drafting BPA (Best Player Available) and I don't have a problem with that.Here's a note:

Rick Gosselin, whose Top 100 rankings have been BY FAR the most accurate each season, ranked Carpenter 18th overall, Fasano 54th overall and Hatcher 88th overall. We took Carpenter 18th, Fasano 53rd and Hatcher 92nd -- almost exactly where they should have gone.
What can you say. :shrug: Edit to add: How does one, "Lack loose hips"? Could someone explains this to me. And if you have loose hips how do you unloose them? Is it irreversable? How do one aquire loose hips? Does it run in the family? Do one need to take medication while suffering from loose hips? :popcorn: :loco:

I am more pleased with the off season moves that gave us the ability to take BPA so that we didn't have to reach on a WR or a T that has injury concerns, which a lot of these big named tackels did.

I like the TE addition, I was really worried about losing Campbell.

The DE may be a steal. I heard several analyst saying this guy was super under rated and is a beast but a little raw. He just needs to be coached.

I am pretty pleased, not excited about these picks, nothing too exciting, but we got better and I am interested to see what we do today.

Dallas never has exciting drafts

they are snoozefests

Parcells refuses to draft anyone who plays offense

they should've at least drafted Winston Justice or McNeil to help plug the never ending hole in our O-Line that Rob "Turnstyle" Patiti provided last season

I am more pleased with the off season moves that gave us the ability to take BPA so that we didn't have to reach on a WR or a T that has injury concerns, which a lot of these big named tackels did.

I like the TE addition, I was really worried about losing Campbell.

The DE may be a steal. I heard several analyst saying this guy was super under rated and is a beast but a little raw. He just needs to be coached.

I am pretty pleased, not excited about these picks, nothing too exciting, but we got better and I am interested to see what we do today.
When you are picking where they were, it's pretty hard to screw up. Just take the BPA and how can anyone cry foul. I would have liked to see them move up and take a shot at a name player, but who exactly? Their draft was meh, predictably, and I have no problem with it.

i think hodge and jaworksi also said aj hawk didn't have loose hips either. meaning they can't turn and cover. seems like a big deal for a linebacker, but who cares for a de. it's not like he's going to be dwight freeney.

i bet matt leinart has loose hips from his ballroom dancing class. he's going to need it having his head on a swivel with the arizona oline.

Dallas never has exciting drafts

they are snoozefests

Parcells refuses to draft anyone who plays offense

they should've at least drafted Winston Justice or McNeil to help plug the never ending hole in our O-Line that Rob "Turnstyle" Patiti provided last season
No, both of those guys had injury concerns. We learned our lesson with that when we passed up Joey Porter to draft Solomon Page, who had back problems, just like McNeil. McNeil has some kind of spine problem. Justice had character issues. And Pettiti isnt the starter, Fabini is. Pettiti is there for depth and he got some good experience last season.

My problem with Hatcher is they could have had him later. There's no way to prove that, but I'm extremely confident he would have fallen another round, at least another round.

The first problem with Fasano is Tony Scheffler and Leonard Pope. I think they drafted Fasano because he looks like Bavaro. Seriously. Scheffler and Pope have so much more potential. They have five TEs on the roster. Parcells has a TE fetish and this was a luxury pick that will not be much help. If they find their safety and NT on the 2nd day, then great. They are desperate on the OL whether they know it or not. They have an overwhelmed center. A fat LT coming off of knee surgery. An aging guard with back and neck problems. Two mediocre free agency additions.

As Ridgelake has pointed out very nicely, the OL held this team hostage last year. It was terrible. They think they addressed it in FA. I don't. I just see more of the same mediocrity and stop gaps. They won in the 90s with dominance up front, and this was the draft to take a shot at recreating that. Pittsburgh and Seattle have two of the very best OLs in the business and they ended up in the last game. Parcells just doesn't emphasize those guys. He thinks he can coach them up. It isn't working because he's limited by the talent he has. I fully expect them to take a couple OLs today. Then I expect it to be very obvious later that they should have taken a couple yesterday.

Last years draft looked good on paper and turned out great. This years draft is confusing and will turn out that way.

hather said the saint were going to take him with the 2nd pick in the 4th round. so dallas wouldn't have gotten him

My problem with Hatcher is they could have had him later. There's no way to prove that, but I'm extremely confident he would have fallen another round, at least another round.

The first problem with Fasano is Tony Scheffler and Leonard Pope. I think they drafted Fasano because he looks like Bavaro. Seriously. Scheffler and Pope have so much more potential. They have five TEs on the roster. Parcells has a TE fetish and this was a luxury pick that will not be much help. If they find their safety and NT on the 2nd day, then great. They are desperate on the OL whether they know it or not. They have an overwhelmed center. A fat LT coming off of knee surgery. An aging guard with back and neck problems. Two mediocre free agency additions.

As Ridgelake has pointed out very nicely, the OL held this team hostage last year. It was terrible. They think they addressed it in FA. I don't. I just see more of the same mediocrity and stop gaps. They won in the 90s with dominance up front, and this was the draft to take a shot at recreating that. Pittsburgh and Seattle have two of the very best OLs in the business and they ended up in the last game. Parcells just doesn't emphasize those guys. He thinks he can coach them up. It isn't working because he's limited by the talent he has. I fully expect them to take a couple OLs today. Then I expect it to be very obvious later that they should have taken a couple yesterday.

Last years draft looked good on paper and turned out great. This years draft is confusing and will turn out that way.
So basically you think everything Dallas did in the off season and thus far in the draft was in error? I'm guessing you are not a Cowboys fan and are trying to stir the pot. I disagree with all of your analysis. I like Fasano since Campbell was lost. We didn't need a down field TE since we have Witten. Fasano is a sure handed route runner who will be Bledsoe's safety valve if the defense covers TO, Glenn, and Witten deep. Add that he is a great blocker and this will make it tough on defenses since they will not know when to cover Fasano(like Campbell). I have read nothing but good stuff on Hatcher though I have not heard of him until yesterday. You cannot have enough def lineman especially ones who can disrupt(like Hatcher). The FA acquisitions tell me they didn't want to get rookies starting on the OL like Petitti had to last year. The BC pick is golden as he provides run support on the other side of Ware. I'm good with the first day. I expect we will continue to take the BPA today at each pick. Probably a S and/or a def tackle. Also, there will be more free agents as these rookies are signed and teams cut vets to get under the cap. We will be looking solid heading into Week 1.

So far, I'd give Dallas a b+. I like picks 1 and 2. I'm scratching my head over Hatcher.

Carpenter was who I guessed Dallas would take. So he's solid and will be a strong contributor, making a bookend to Ware.

Fasano, I like. He gives Dallas a threat at the TE/FB position. Now, Dallas lines up with TO/Glenn/Witten/JJ/Fasano in their base offense. It is very balanced and every position is a threat to the defense.

Both of these two picks should start or at least see significant time next year. Other than NT, I don't think there would be any other position where that would have been the case, baring injury. So these picks were made to be significant contributors in 2006.

Fasano versus Pope or Scheffler probably came down to blocking. Fasano is a good blocker. Pope is not. I just don't know about Scheffler.

I am a bit miffed that Dallas didnt take McNeil. They traded back and missed him. I do wonder if this will come back to haunt them in time. Again, McNeill would not have likely played next season, while Fasano will, but long term, I wonder....

I'm going to have to trust Tuna on the DE pick. I'd never heard of him. It really smacks of BPA as DE is the deepest position on Dallas' team. Hopefully the guy will be a player. We'll see. Parcells knows a hell of a lot more than I do on these things.

As of right now, the 4th round is going on. At pick 122, Pat Watkins and Oshinowo are both still on the clock. I really hope Dallas takes one at 125. I'm leaning towards Oshinowo as Dallas does need a NT.

Skyler Green looks like a decent pick here. He is used to returning kicks and would be a natural fit to take over in that spot. I didn't know he was SEC special teams POY. Not bad. :thumbup:

Skyler Green looks like a decent pick here. He is used to returning kicks and would be a natural fit to take over in that spot. I didn't know he was SEC special teams POY. Not bad. :thumbup:
With him and Tyson Thompson back there....could be dangerous.

Pat Muthf*cken Watlkins...

highlight reel

copy & paste into browser

java script:void(window.open('http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/sports?ch=396337&cl=401525','playerWindow','width=793,height=608,scrollbars=no'));

NFL.com has him as a tweener b/t safety and OLB, he is no way an OLB...then they go on to say one of his weaknesses is his long legs hinder his ability to change direction quickly, then in the next line they say how he is surprisingly good at moving his hips to cover tightends...then they say how he isn't a good tackler and misses way too many tackles...im sorry but i cant remember Pat ever missing tackles, one of the best open field tacklers i've seen at FSU.

Witten broke his jaw in 2003. Missed 1 game, his only missed game of his career.

Skyler Green, lets hope the guy can return kicks and punts. I doubt he'll play as a WR.

I'm really happy with Watkins. In the 5th no less. YEEEEHAWWWW. !

6.13 - 182

Montavious Stanley

Height: 6-2

Weight: 314

40 Speed: 5.20*

Position: Defensive Tackle

College: Louisville

Stanley is a very solid pick. I was hoping for Oshinowo, but he went 1 pick ahead of Dallas.

But Stanley should be a solid NT, exactly what Dallas needed. He should provide the last piece in the remake of the Dallas front 7. In two years, they have added Ware, Spears, Canty, Ferguson, Carpenter, Ayodele, Burnett, Ratliff, and Johnson. With this draft, they now add Stanley and Hatcher. Thats a lot of talented, big, strong atheletes. I would not want to be an offensive lineman in the NFC East for the next few years. These guys are going to be a handful. As a Cowboy fan, I am really excited about that. :)

Listen to the dallascowboys.com draft talk. They are so confused as to who pat and paul mcquistan is. at first they thought they were the same guys.

Stanley is a very solid pick. I was hoping for Oshinowo, but he went 1 pick ahead of Dallas.

But Stanley should be a solid NT, exactly what Dallas needed. He should provide the last piece in the remake of the Dallas front 7. In two years, they have added Ware, Spears, Canty, Ferguson, Carpenter, Ayodele, Burnett, Ratliff, and Johnson. With this draft, they now add Stanley and Hatcher. Thats a lot of talented, big, strong atheletes. I would not want to be an offensive lineman in the NFC East for the next few years. These guys are going to be a handful. As a Cowboy fan, I am really excited about that. :)
Ridge, with 0-line still a problem, and with no decent youth added, I cannot be happy about this draft. I think it was terrible. Just terrible. Stanley is a running joke at Louisville for getting exhausted and pulling himself out of games. Hatcher was a monumental reach. The lesser McQuistan wasn't real interested in the NFL like his brother, and there is no comparing the two. This is a lazy, raw, slow draft for Dallas. I'll be surprised if Green makes the team. He had a rough go at the Senior Bowl practices and bailed out with a minor injury that he called a hamstring pull. It wasn't. I think he just had his feelings hurt. Fasano was a luxury pick a round early that they couldn't afford. Kosier and Fabini are pretty much journeyman as far as I'm concerned. Allen is gone. Flozell is great, but he's got his problems too. They were "held hostage" by the O-line, and they will be again. Rivera is damaged goods. Johnson barely manages and he needs help. He's pretty much overwhelmed at center. They have a dozen OLs on the roster and I'd trade 7 of them for one good one. This team was vastly improved on draft day last year, and we knew it. Not this year. Fred Matua just went to the Lions. It's not fun to watch a team in max protect because the coach has a stupid OL philosophy.

EJ Whitley. Another OL with limited athleticism when a physical beast like Montgomery was available. Who knows, but this is Petitti all over again without the strength or weight problem. He can't play tackle in the NFL and that's what they called him? Please. Dallas has been asleep since round 2.

much better options at OL and they take a bunch of stiffs

i think they could have done better at every pick.

Did anybody else think that Winston Justice would have been an okay pick in the 1st? I would have felt a lot better about the O-line with Adams and Justice anchoring that tackles. What do you guys think--would Justice have been too much of a reach?

hes the guy i wanted in the first

when Dallas saw him still there @ 35 i have no idea why they didnt make a move up.

i doubt any OT could come in and beat fabini. you draft olineman to play 2-3 years down the road, not next year.

i doubt any OT could come in and beat fabini. you draft olineman to play 2-3 years down the road, not next year.
Several rookies had excellent seasons last year. Khalif Barnes and Jammal Brown were studs. Justice will probably be a stud. Fabini won't. Even if Justice didn't beat out Fabini, we know one injury can decimate this line with no depth. Justice was the right pick. When the Eagles swooped it gave me nausea.

Several rookies had excellent seasons last year. Khalif Barnes and Jammal Brown were studs. Justice will probably be a stud. Fabini won't. Even if Justice didn't beat out Fabini, we know one injury can decimate this line with no depth. Justice was the right pick. When the Eagles swooped it gave me nausea.
This is my thought--not only do the Cowboys not strengthen a weak point, but then the guy goes to a division rival. Ugh. :bag:

And just like that Carolina nabs Montgomery. Unreal. Could have had Matua and Montgomery in the 7th and added some quality depth and future studs to the OL. And they draft two guys they'll leave in Thousand Oaks instead.

Stanley is a very solid pick.  I was hoping for Oshinowo, but he went 1 pick ahead of Dallas. 

But Stanley should be a solid NT, exactly what Dallas needed.  He should provide the last piece in the remake of the Dallas front 7.  In two years, they have added Ware, Spears, Canty, Ferguson, Carpenter, Ayodele, Burnett, Ratliff, and Johnson.  With this draft, they now add Stanley and Hatcher.  Thats a lot of talented, big, strong atheletes.  I would not want to be an offensive lineman in the NFC East for the next few years.  These guys are going to be a handful. As a Cowboy fan, I am really excited about that. :)
Ridge, with 0-line still a problem, and with no decent youth added, I cannot be happy about this draft. I think it was terrible. Just terrible. Stanley is a running joke at Louisville for getting exhausted and pulling himself out of games. Hatcher was a monumental reach. The lesser McQuistan wasn't real interested in the NFL like his brother, and there is no comparing the two. This is a lazy, raw, slow draft for Dallas. I'll be surprised if Green makes the team. He had a rough go at the Senior Bowl practices and bailed out with a minor injury that he called a hamstring pull. It wasn't. I think he just had his feelings hurt. Fasano was a luxury pick a round early that they couldn't afford. Kosier and Fabini are pretty much journeyman as far as I'm concerned. Allen is gone. Flozell is great, but he's got his problems too. They were "held hostage" by the O-line, and they will be again. Rivera is damaged goods. Johnson barely manages and he needs help. He's pretty much overwhelmed at center. They have a dozen OLs on the roster and I'd trade 7 of them for one good one. This team was vastly improved on draft day last year, and we knew it. Not this year. Fred Matua just went to the Lions. It's not fun to watch a team in max protect because the coach has a stupid OL philosophy.
:confused: Well we now hear the Saints were poised to take hatcher had the Cowboys passed, so i don't know how monumental a reach it was if two scouting departments were looking at him at that spot.

The Green comments are just silly. He was the Special Teams Player of the Year in the SEC, is the perfect type of WR to play in the slot and is a homerun threat returning. He is the pefect type of guy to take a chance on in day 2.

This is my thought--not only do the Cowboys not strengthen a weak point, but then the guy goes to a division rival. Ugh. :bag:
With all of the character questions surrounding Justice, I can see why the Cowboys (and 30 other teams) decided to pass on him. TO will be enough of a problem without a rookie turd in the locker room.

CC, I'll agree that last year's draft was spectacular. We knew it immediately. I'd give this draft about a B.

Carpenter and Fasano will be immediate contributors. I don't think any other position would have done that, outside of NT.

I'm very happy about Watkins in the 5th.

The rest of the picks are :shrug:

I'd have liked more than 2 seventh round OTs to address the Oline. These guys probably are just camp bait. I do suspect that the DE will be pretty good. We needed an NT, so maybe the out-of-shape guy will get a little Tuna love and become something. We'll see.

With all of the character questions surrounding Justice, I can see why the Cowboys (and 30 other teams) decided to pass on him. TO will be enough of a problem without a rookie turd in the locker room.
Can anyone give me a Cliff's Notes version of the scoop on this guy? All I've heard was that it was a "prank that went horribly wrong". :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread