What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Elden Ring Thread - Tips, Tricks, Builds... Calling it now - 2022's Game of the Year. (1 Viewer)

Okay, I cheated and used a rune farm to get about 7 levels. :bag:

There are just some bosses I can't beat. I think I spent 3 hours yesterday dying to the Godskin Apostle in the Windmill town. Man, that was frustrating. Even using my wolves, this guy just wastes me every time. I tried using bleed weapons because that is what he is supposedly weak to, but he has such a variety of attacks, it is hard to get in and get out without being crushed. I even tried the back stab and then run methods to no avail. I am 103 hours in and I am 14% complete---uggghhh.

I have resolved I will never finish this game and this is just a time filler until Diablo comes out.

From your earlier posts, you seem to be playing "heavy". Maybe consider a respec if you are far enough into the game.

I never had good success in these games with straight hand to hand, and always went to a faster / roll style of play. Spellsword style always worked best for me, and was most fun. Mage with Moonveil Katana = pretty lethal.

I am definitely very tankish in my play-style, which isn't a good fit for this game. It took me six hours to beat that boss. I tried so many strategies until I settled on the sneak up behind him, conjure my wolves and then get in as many hits as I could before jumping out of the way and running. But even this strategy failed over and over because he would throw some skull thing at me as I ran away.

The final effort where I got the win was just epic. Sneak in, wolves deployed, got lucky with a great sword knock down, dive away and heal. Go back in while one-two wolves still alive, hit and hit and run, heal. Wolves dead. He is right at 50%. I run and let him agro down and go to his little spot. Sneak up behind and hit him as much as I can and run, run run. Heal. rinse and repeat a couple times. I am down to my last heal and he is down to probably three hits left. I run in the wrong direction and I am now in the town crouched down behind some building hoping he calms down and goes back to his spot, BUT NO!! He literally falls right on top of me!! I about pissed myself and started mashing buttons and killed him somehow. I was sweating and exhausted as this battle took over 20 minutes.

Now I am guessing you all are looking at this going--he is doing everything wrong and yep, I am, but this was a great, fun battle. I don't think since the early days of PC gaming with Ultima have I thought about a game when I wasn't playing it and how I could get over a challenge.

I am definitely very tankish in my play-style, which isn't a good fit for this game. It took me six hours to beat that boss. I tried so many strategies until I settled on the sneak up behind him, conjure my wolves and then get in as many hits as I could before jumping out of the way and running. But even this strategy failed over and over because he would throw some skull thing at me as I ran away.

The final effort where I got the win was just epic. Sneak in, wolves deployed, got lucky with a great sword knock down, dive away and heal. Go back in while one-two wolves still alive, hit and hit and run, heal. Wolves dead. He is right at 50%. I run and let him agro down and go to his little spot. Sneak up behind and hit him as much as I can and run, run run. Heal. rinse and repeat a couple times. I am down to my last heal and he is down to probably three hits left. I run in the wrong direction and I am now in the town crouched down behind some building hoping he calms down and goes back to his spot, BUT NO!! He literally falls right on top of me!! I about pissed myself and started mashing buttons and killed him somehow. I was sweating and exhausted as this battle took over 20 minutes.

Now I am guessing you all are looking at this going--he is doing everything wrong and yep, I am, but this was a great, fun battle. I don't think since the early days of PC gaming with Ultima have I thought about a game when I wasn't playing it and how I could get over a challenge.
You didn’t say but that guy seemed easier on horseback, as many of the minor bosses seem to. If you sprint in and they aren’t starting to wind up when you get semi close, you can swipe as you go by.

This is a great feeling in this game. Congrats on finally winning. Now go get some better summons!!

Also, yea, you are sort-of playing "wrong" for your build. If you are tanky and heavy, you should be blocking and constantly at the bosses feet, circling behind him/etc (most bosses anyway). Not sneaking and hit and running.

To me, that's the big key to this (and any Fromsoft) game - play to your build. If you are a tank, then tank - get your big shield, and get right in there. If you are fat rolling because of encumbrance, don't even bother - you're just going to take hits. If you are lightly-armored, fast and dodgy, then hit and dodge - don't trade hits. I see dodge guys get greedy and always take a big hit because they just had to make one more attack. And for any playstyle, having a weapon that properly scales with your main stats is a big deal.

This is a great feeling in this game. Congrats on finally winning. Now go get some better summons!!

Also, yea, you are sort-of playing "wrong" for your build. If you are tanky and heavy, you should be blocking and constantly at the bosses feet, circling behind him/etc (most bosses anyway). Not sneaking and hit and running.

To me, that's the big key to this (and any Fromsoft) game - play to your build. If you are a tank, then tank - get your big shield, and get right in there. If you are fat rolling because of encumbrance, don't even bother - you're just going to take hits. If you are lightly-armored, fast and dodgy, then hit and dodge - don't trade hits. I see dodge guys get greedy and always take a big hit because they just had to make one more attack. And for any playstyle, having a weapon that properly scales with your main stats is a big deal.
This is so me..I typically play a ranger/magic style. Damage from a distance....and ALWAYS get greedy and it costs me 99.9999% of the time :lmao:

This is so me..I typically play a ranger/magic style. Damage from a distance....and ALWAYS get greedy and it costs me 99.9999% of the time :lmao:

That hit a little close to home for me too. :lmao:

That hit a little close to home for me too. :lmao:

heh, yea, when I said "I've seen guys..." - I really meant "me" too. I learned, but it's still really hard. The boss will attack, I dodge, get an opening, get two good attacks in and think I have time for a third... and then get crushed for half my health bar. Oops.

So I finally got to Lynedell, and I’m getting beat around again and can’t even find a point of grace. I’m at level 65 but I’m reading recommended for that area is 100+? I also couldn’t defeat Radahn. Do I just need to farm runes and keep leveling up?

"He's only got a sliver of health left -- I should just jump in there, land a couple of blows, and finish this thing."

[stares at respawn screen]

"Ah well, maybe next time."

I thought of this thread several times yesterday during my (unsuccessful) attempts to beat Radahn. Had him down to a sliver of health twice but got greedy. That double overhand smash hurts.

So I finally got to Lynedell, and I’m getting beat around again and can’t even find a point of grace. I’m at level 65 but I’m reading recommended for that area is 100+? I also couldn’t defeat Radahn. Do I just need to farm runes and keep leveling up?

I’ll check in a minute but I think I’m at a much higher level and I’m struggling a bit with Radahn.

ETA- Yeah, I’m level 74 atm.

Look into the slumbering dragon farm or the bird farm.

I am following “fighting cowboy’s” walkthrough this, my second time through these areas.

Last edited:
The answer is almost aways yes lol

Anybody got any tips for Radahn? Strafe him with rot arrows and let the summons do their thing (and re-summoning them when they die)?

I can’t get past his second phase.

Arise, ye Tarnished!

I just started playing 3 weeks ago. 90+ hours in and this is easily the best game I have ever played. This is the first FromSoft Soulslike I have ever played and I was so intimidated to play it, but I'm so glad I did.

I think I cried a couple tears of joy when I realized the enormity of Stormveil Castle. I may weep openly as I take my first steps into the Capital Leyndell this weekend.

Omega tank build. Great Spear + Great Shield, stand and fight me! Out in the world I am jouster supreme.

I killed Radahn while atop Torrent 95% of the fight. The other 5% was spent summoning cooperators. Levéed my lance and charged for the kill shot. Epic stuff.

I started my playthrough due to friend hype about the DLC. I am hoping to get a sneaky DEX run in before June after I fully exhaust this first playthrough. Timer might be tight, I still die to a lot of stupid stuff lol.

Still one of the best games I've played. The world design in particular is fantastic. The only problem is that it's so huge that I can't really wrap my mind around replaying it, whereas I can rip through Dark Souls in a couple of weeks pretty easily.

Still one of the best games I've played. The world design in particular is fantastic. The only problem is that it's so huge that I can't really wrap my mind around replaying it, whereas I can rip through Dark Souls in a couple of weeks pretty easily.

I sold my Xbox and the only game I really care to play is this. I winced as I did a system reset.

I’m sure my save will be on the cloud or something but if I go back I would likely need to restart because I have no clue where I’m at/what’s left.

I shall return one day as a reward. Need all my spare time to start a new business.

I don't think an All Bosses run (or Most Bosses) would be too bad now that I know the gameplay loops, how to level efficiently and would 100% be following a guide

I don't think an All Bosses run (or Most Bosses) would be too bad now that I know the gameplay loops, how to level efficiently and would 100% be following a guide
That's a pretty good point. I never really looked for a way to level up besides doing all the side dungeons and stuff, because I wanted to experience as much of this game as possible in my first run. If there's a convenient farming spot besides the bird thing toward the end, that would speed things up a lot.

That's a pretty good point. I never really looked for a way to level up besides doing all the side dungeons and stuff, because I wanted to experience as much of this game as possible in my first run. If there's a convenient farming spot besides the bird thing toward the end, that would speed things up a lot.
Some early game farms I know about are trolls in Limgrave, the Vulgars by Gurranq and then Caelid has some more stuff where you run through and let the enemies all fight each other.

My typical new game pattern is to do the boulder XP farm for a few dozen levels, then once I have beaten the first castle and can access the bird farming area, I do that for a TON of levels.

This game is much more fun when you don't have to worry about dodging and can tank a few hits without immediately dying.

Elden Lord. I used Great Spear + Greatshield for the entire playthrough, even Malenia.

I can't believe how incredible the endgame and optional endgame was. They started closing off the world rather smoothly, the dungeons somehow kept getting better, and the boss battles were some of the freshest video game design I have ever witnessed.

It's the GOAT. My desire to instantly want to start up NG+ might mean it will become my favorite over time.

Those duels with the Haligtree Knights on the way to the Roots were the peak of all dungeons for me, and of course: the Goddess of Rot herself. What a fight! The music, the seamless flow of her animations and the realization that I was in a bonafide DPS race, it's all just perfect.

It was the first FromSoft Soulslike I had played, and the first single-player game that requires over 30 hours of play that I have finished in well over a decade.

Last edited:
My favorite parts about this game

1. Open World gameplay done right
2. Build path variety
3. Side dungeons
4. Endgame bosses

As great as the side dungeons were, they are not every-time replay content for me. I need it to be fresh in mind, the puzzles are going to stick with me for a while. Recursive catacombs in both Leyndell and Mountaintops were revelations.

My favorite parts about this game

1. Open World gameplay done right
2. Build path variety
3. Side dungeons
4. Endgame bosses

As great as the side dungeons were, they are not every-time replay content for me. I need it to be fresh in mind, the puzzles are going to stick with me for a while. Recursive catacombs in both Leyndell and Mountaintops were revelations.
Yeah a huge amount of my enjoyment from this game came from just getting on my horse, riding around until I found something to do, and then doing that thing. Sometimes it turns out to be a 15 minute side quest, and sometimes it's a multi-hour diversion that went totally differently than I expected. That was awesome, but I don't think you can recapture that on a second run.

Users who are viewing this thread