What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Elden Ring Thread - Tips, Tricks, Builds... Calling it now - 2022's Game of the Year. (1 Viewer)

Right. Early on it should be easy because you have your upgraded stuff from your first play through. But by the time you hit end game of NG+, the bosses are upgraded but you haven’t upgraded your character at the same pace. 
Maybe.   Guess  we will see

Right. Early on it should be easy because you have your upgraded stuff from your first play through. But by the time you hit end game of NG+, the bosses are upgraded but you haven’t upgraded your character at the same pace. 
I saw a speed run earlier on new game plus.  Guy went through the whole game in 28 min

Okay, I just hit level 68.  Not sure how many hours I've put into this game, but I just made it to Volcano Manor yesterday.  I also crossed over from Altus Plateau to Mt. Gelmir and stumbled upon the Shaded Castle.  I think I'm about halfway through that area, but I needed to take a break because I patiently whittled down three tough enemies by isolating them as much as possible and patiently took them out one by one, only to get sloppy when the last one was down to his last molecule of HP and got myself stun-locked and killed for absolutely no reason at all other than impatience. 

I'm getting more confident by the day that this is my new favorite game of all time.  I just can't get over how well-constructed this world is and how well-constructed some of the individual "levels" are, like Stormveil, the Academy, this castle I'm in, some of the tunnels I've explored, and so on.  I need to add the disclaimer that I am a huge fan of the Souls franchise, so maybe it's not shocking that I really, really like this game.  But Elden Ring is pretty much exactly what I wanted from "Dark Souls, only open world instead of semi-linear."  This game is stellar.

You can look at the map and just tell where interesting things are likely to be hidden.  And you can figure out how to get where you want to go without the game putting a little waypoint in your face.  

I watched a video a few days ago of a guy riding his horse from the starting area of the game all the way to Volcano Manor without fighting anything.  It is mindblowing that you can do that in a game like this.  I mean, this map is absolutely huge, and it doesn't feel like even a square inch of it is just filler.  It's all there for a reason.

How did the developers know that I would be just the right level when I hit Mt.Gelmir to find this castle fun and challenging?  As opposed to finding it too easy or overwhelming?  I just encountered it kind of randomly but it feels like it was placed in the game for me specifically.  That is top-shelf game design. 

Yes, I agree - this game is an absolute masterpiece. It's everything us Souls fans loved, dialed up to 11, but also somehow made incredibly accessible for those new to the series. I've read plenty of posts on Reddit/forums from guys who never enjoyed a Souls game, but really like this one. 

The open world is incredible, and so detailed. The horse... omg, the horse. It's so much fun to use. We're totally spoiled for horse riding in any other game.  

The addition of the open word to the Souls formula has made an incredibly fun "build" game as well, beyond anything the previous games gave us. I've spent many game sessions just riding around, going to places well above my level, collecting items I wanted for my build. But no matter how strong you get, you're still  going to be challenged.   

Best game ever for me? It's in the conversation. 

Finally took down Commander Naill so now have all areas open.  Had to bump up my intelligence from 60 to 70 so I could burn him and his 2 guards down with "Comet Azur". Put down "Terra Magica" used my Physick of "Magic-shrouding cracked Tear" and "Cerulean Hidden Tear". Took him down to 25% health and killed both guards with my first shot. Summoned my wolves rolled off to the side and burned him down with a second Comet Azur. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious how did you beat her?

I had to rebuild my guy.  Built 2 scimitar +25, one with bleed and another with chill.   Went dual wield and totally offense
Mimic and Borealis Mist/Glintstone Breath(I think that is the name)and Swarm of Flies. Took me a few tries with this setup but once I got it down the first phase of her never touched me.

So since mimic tear has been nerfed there is a new number one summon.

Black knife tiche
Just started trying to pick that up last night. Boss fight is tough for a mage since it jumps around alot. No sure how much longer I'll keep at it since the developers have already shown they have no problems swinging the nerf bat for PvE. Already have a level 9 Lhutel and a great ghostwort  in the bank.

Just started trying to pick that up last night. Boss fight is tough for a mage since it jumps around alot. No sure how much longer I'll keep at it since the developers have already shown they have no problems swinging the nerf bat for PvE. Already have a level 9 Lhutel and a great ghostwort  in the bank.
Got this guy up to +6 and I just use him and the wolves exclusively.  (Wolves are better for stagger, Lhutel is better for tanking). I'm going to hang on to my ghostwort so I've got the materials to upgrade some of the late-game ashes later on, but these are working just fine for me for the time being.

Got this guy up to +6 and I just use him and the wolves exclusively.  (Wolves are better for stagger, Lhutel is better for tanking). I'm going to hang on to my ghostwort so I've got the materials to upgrade some of the late-game ashes later on, but these are working just fine for me for the time being.
Same spirits I'm using. The wolves where a much better choice on Commander Naill.  They keep his attention better for me to set my casting.

need2know said:
Nice.   By far the most challenging boss.    I like her weapon.

Switched back to my full mage setup. Im having more fun with that. Just took out Dragonlord Placidusax. There was some great visuals heading into the fight.

need2know said:
I saw a speed run earlier on new game plus.  Guy went through the whole game in 28 min
Sadly not the case. Breezed through second playthrough.  Just a few hours over 3 days.

Man. You guys are out of control. I’m still stuck on Godrick. I can hulk smash most things except bosses. I have summoned in NPC help but after they die and the boss focuses on me I can only last so long. 

Ive fought him helping others in co-op about 20 times. Most times we get him to just below half and only once did we defeat him - however the host died and we didn’t get the runes. 

Man. You guys are out of control. I’m still stuck on Godrick. I can hulk smash most things except bosses. I have summoned in NPC help but after they die and the boss focuses on me I can only last so long. 

Ive fought him helping others in co-op about 20 times. Most times we get him to just below half and only once did we defeat him - however the host died and we didn’t get the runes. 
Are you on ps5?   I would be honored to help ya

When you summon help it will increase the bosses health and I don't think helpers do as much damage.  But I know im.better than some npc

There's a path around the castle.  Maybe do that and pick up items that can make you stronger. Go to some of the rune farming spots.

Messed around in Mt. Gelmir a little bit, mainly just by exploring outside Volcano Manor.  First, let me say a hearty #### you to those spider-hand enemies.  Second, well there isn't really a second thing I suppose.  The spider-hand things need to die.

I did manage to get the tear that eliminates FP consumption temporarily, but I'm about 20 levels away from being able to cast the comet spell that everybody seems to use with that tear.  My INT is 34, so I've got a little ways to go there, and also my VIT is only 29 so I need to pump that too.  I was sitting at 20 VIT for a very long time and it finally dawned on me that there was a causal relation between that and enemies constantly one- and two-shotting me.

Where do you find all of the Smithing Stones?
Somber or reg?   Man just yputube it.  But the way to go is to find the bells so you can buy them from the weird ### chick's at the roundtable.  Unlimited stones.  Except the final ones.  There are only a few of those on each playthrough

Working my way through Stormveil Castle.  Holy #### is it huge.  I think I am getting close to Godderick (?) as I just slayed the lion sub boss.
This is a confusing level, but unfortunately you have a ways to go before the main boss still.  

I found Stormveil disorienting at first, but I really like this particular level now.  It allows for a few different approaches depending on whether you want to methodically pick your way through a normal-ish route or whether you're okay YOLOing it through some very heavily defended areas.  You obviously took the heavily-defended route :)  

Has anyone got this to work on PC? I've heard it's unstable. Guess I'll stick to Path of Exile for now. 

I think most of the issues were with higher end current gen graphics cards for whatever reason.

I have a 1660 Super and besides 2 or 3 crashes in 45+ hours, zero issues.

This is a confusing level, but unfortunately you have a ways to go before the main boss still.  

I found Stormveil disorienting at first, but I really like this particular level now.  It allows for a few different approaches depending on whether you want to methodically pick your way through a normal-ish route or whether you're okay YOLOing it through some very heavily defended areas.  You obviously took the heavily-defended route :)  

Yeah, I killed the three giants and then the door wouldn't open.  I guess I missed something.

I think you need to kill Godrick - then you'll be able to open the doors. 

I thought Godrick was through the doors but I ran into him somewhere else and killed him.  Now the doors open and I restored Godrick's great rune.

What now?  Does this grant access to other parts of the map?

I thought Godrick was through the doors but I ran into him somewhere else and killed him.  Now the doors open and I restored Godrick's great rune.

What now?  Does this grant access to other parts of the map?
Go back to grace point "Godrick the Grafted". Go through the doors to the north. Go left, down the stairs in the room look left side, jump down head out into the next area. Follow path to the left to next grace point "lake facing cliffs"

80 hours in.  Killed Radahn today without realizing that I was even in his castle until toward the end.  For some reason, I thought he was going to be the main boss in the capital city, but obviously that isn't the case.  Piece of cake at level 75 or whatever I was at the time.  I spent most of the rest of the day advancing a few NPC quest lines (Sellen, Ranni) and made it to the first grade in that underground city that the comet opens up.  

If I were starting over, I wish I had known to pump Vitality more.  This game plays a lot better when you get VIT > 30 and you aren't constantly getting one-shot by half the enemies you come across.  I put too much into INT too early thinking that this was going to be like Dark Souls or Bloodborne in terms of how scaling works.  Instead, the overwhelming majority of your extra damage comes from upgrading weapons, not leveling up.  It's better to put those levels into HP, FP, and endurance with just enough into the other stats to use your weapon of choice and case the spells you like.  Even now, my two main weapons are just at C scaling -- my rapier is +18 and I got a claymore up to +16 I think.  

One thing I wish this game would do is give us some kind of crude journal. Just names and places would be fine. 

I always liked the Souls formula of not giving much away and minimal quest help / no map markers, but in an open world like this, a little help would be appreciated. Just a scratchpad journal with the place I'm supposed to meet that dude or whatnot. 

Black Knife Tiche 

Finally got this, this morning. Thanks YouTubers. Found a video that had my toolbox and showed how to use it. Burned him down with a buffed Comet Azur. 

That underground city that opens up after you kill Radahn is nuts.  That feels like a complete game-worth of content that just gets dropped on you by surprise.  That's a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much.  I beat a couple of bosses but haven't explored the whole area yet, so I think I still have more stuff to do.  

Speaking of exploration, this area is a good illustration of why I'm doing this run mostly blind.  There is another "legendary" boss in that region that I didn't know existed.  It was easy, but it dropped what certainly seems like a useful talisman that restores some FP with every kill.  I also love how you can work your way back to Siofra Well by dropping down in spots (did this by accident just by poking around and following helpful messages).  If there's one thing FromSoft knows how to do, it's build worlds that fit together logically. 

Really enjoying my claymore.  The rapier was nice, but it was completely useless against shielded enemies.  The claymore laughs at shields.  And running this thing two-handed is just a fun playstyle compared to hiding behind a shield.  The drawback is that I had to equip an Arsenal talisman to equip it without fat-rolling, even in light armor.  I need to fix that by trading down to a lighter shield than the brass shield, just a basic "break glass in case of emergency" shield.  Haven't gotten around to it yet. 

It looks like my job for tonight is to get the mimic tear ashes.  I continued working my way down what seemed like the "main path" after the Ancestral Woods, but I should have hopped off to follow a slightly different route.  I had made a note to come back to that branch in the path anyway.  Glad I didn't forget about it.  (I thought this was going to be a reward for beating a particular boss -- it wasn't, which is why I got curious and Googled it).   

IvanKaramazov said:
That underground city that opens up after you kill Radahn is nuts.  That feels like a complete game-worth of content that just gets dropped on you by surprise.  That's a bit of an exaggeration, but not by much.  I beat a couple of bosses but haven't explored the whole area yet, so I think I still have more stuff to do.  

Speaking of exploration, this area is a good illustration of why I'm doing this run mostly blind.  There is another "legendary" boss in that region that I didn't know existed.  It was easy, but it dropped what certainly seems like a useful talisman that restores some FP with every kill.  I also love how you can work your way back to Siofra Well by dropping down in spots (did this by accident just by poking around and following helpful messages).  If there's one thing FromSoft knows how to do, it's build worlds that fit together logically. 

Really enjoying my claymore.  The rapier was nice, but it was completely useless against shielded enemies.  The claymore laughs at shields.  And running this thing two-handed is just a fun playstyle compared to hiding behind a shield.  The drawback is that I had to equip an Arsenal talisman to equip it without fat-rolling, even in light armor.  I need to fix that by trading down to a lighter shield than the brass shield, just a basic "break glass in case of emergency" shield.  Haven't gotten around to it yet. 

Get the turtle shield

So I made my way up the tree roots to get to the final boss of this underground area.  Ah.  Not one, not two, but three NPCs.  First one at a time, and then all three at once.  Totally unfair and unbalanced.  In my favor.

For, you see gentle reader, I have now have Mimic Tear Spirit Ashes +6, and while one of me would struggle with three NPC invaders, me and my little buddy absolutely wrecked these guys.  I haven't seen a noble spirit slapped around like that since last night's Oscars.  If that's what the mimic tear can do after being nerfed, I struggle to think of what this thing was like pre-nerf.  What was it doing, just soloing bosses?

So I made my way up the tree roots to get to the final boss of this underground area.  Ah.  Not one, not two, but three NPCs.  First one at a time, and then all three at once.  Totally unfair and unbalanced.  In my favor.

For, you see gentle reader, I have now have Mimic Tear Spirit Ashes +6, and while one of me would struggle with three NPC invaders, me and my little buddy absolutely wrecked these guys.  I haven't seen a noble spirit slapped around like that since last night's Oscars.  If that's what the mimic tear can do after being nerfed, I struggle to think of what this thing was like pre-nerf.  What was it doing, just soloing bosses?

He hit harder.

Even after being lowered and comparing him to supposedly better summons like black knife I still like mimic better.

BTW at this point you could easily get him +10

BTW at this point you could easily get him +10
Thanks.  I picked up a Great Glovewort (or whatever it's called) recently, but otherwise I don't have anything to get me beyond +7.  I think I may have overlooked some stuff, and I know I still need to get to Ainsel River.  Sounds like that should be next on my itinerary.

Thanks.  I picked up a Great Glovewort (or whatever it's called) recently, but otherwise I don't have anything to get me beyond +7.  I think I may have overlooked some stuff, and I know I still need to get to Ainsel River.  Sounds like that should be next on my itinerary.

there's a bell that's not too hard to get that will sell you the ones you need.  pretty sure you might have already passed the location

Users who are viewing this thread