What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Elden Ring Thread - Tips, Tricks, Builds... Calling it now - 2022's Game of the Year. (2 Viewers)

I beat Godrick finally. You would think I’d want to get far away from this castle by now but I’m still exploring it. Ive got over half of it killed off so I can wander freely and get the mental footprint for how it’s laid out for the next time. I’m weird like that.

Those pesky birds are easily taken out with throwing projectiles. Something I have been using a lot of lately since I’m melee only at this point with this character. 

there's a bell that's not too hard to get that will sell you the ones you need.  pretty sure you might have already passed the location
I don't think the 7+ is there but there are single 7 8 and 9s you can find. I have Black Knife, Luthal and Mimic all to 10+ without the bell bearing. Plus the Archer one at 9+

You can also farm 7 and 8s from the jellyfish on the frozen lake.

Last edited by a moderator:
I beat Godrick finally. You would think I’d want to get far away from this castle by now but I’m still exploring it. Ive got over half of it killed off so I can wander freely and get the mental footprint for how it’s laid out for the next time. I’m weird like that.

Those pesky birds are easily taken out with throwing projectiles. Something I have been using a lot of lately since I’m melee only at this point with this character. 

You should probably consider acquiring some sort of ranged option, like a bow or something if you don't want to use spells.  Having that option at your disposal is incredibly helpful in lots of places.  I definitely wouldn't say that it's mandatory, but it's a really nice quality of life enhancement when you're out exploring and just want to get from point A to point B without being set on fire by that guy standing on the cliff opposite the bridge you need to cross.

You should probably consider acquiring some sort of ranged option, like a bow or something if you don't want to use spells.  Having that option at your disposal is incredibly helpful in lots of places.  I definitely wouldn't say that it's mandatory, but it's a really nice quality of life enhancement when you're out exploring and just want to get from point A to point B without being set on fire by that guy standing on the cliff opposite the bridge you need to cross.
Im just trying to decide on a ancillary skill. Not sure it matters in this game if you just have every skill eventually anyway if you level enough. 

Ive been crafting and using fire pots and throwing knives until then.

Im just trying to decide on a ancillary skill. Not sure it matters in this game if you just have every skill eventually anyway if you level enough. 

Ive been crafting and using fire pots and throwing knives until then.

radahns bow is pretty good if you can wait on it. i only used a longbow for a long time.  didn't get anything good ranged until almost mid game

So I made my way up the tree roots to get to the final boss of this underground area.  Ah.  Not one, not two, but three NPCs.  First one at a time, and then all three at once.  Totally unfair and unbalanced.  In my favor.

For, you see gentle reader, I have now have Mimic Tear Spirit Ashes +6, and while one of me would struggle with three NPC invaders, me and my little buddy absolutely wrecked these guys.  I haven't seen a noble spirit slapped around like that since last night's Oscars.  If that's what the mimic tear can do after being nerfed, I struggle to think of what this thing was like pre-nerf.  What was it doing, just soloing bosses?

I made it a point to go get this last night. I was using Luthal the Headless +5, and got my Mimic to +5 just to test them. Mimic is definitely better - keeps enemy aggro much better. I then filled in the upgrade items I needed to take it to +10. Have not yet encountered a boss with him, but am looking forward to it. 

I can't get over how large the underground area is in this game.  At first I thought Siofra River was kind of a stand-alone area, almost like a DLC or something.  Now I realize how that area and places like Ainsel River, the Ancestral Hunting Grounds, Uhl Palace, Deeproot, Nokstella, and so on are all connected to one another.  And having finally looked at a map, I see now that there are a few more places down there that I haven't even gotten to yet.  This is like a whole game's worth of material that's just hidden away down there.

Once again, you just have to tip your cap to the way FromSoft designs their worlds and introduces you to them.  99% of players are going to find that little elevator that takes you Siofra River very early in the game, and probably get run off by the first couple mobs of enemies (I sure did).  When you get a little stronger, you can come back and spend a few hours cleaning out that whole region and it's like "Hey, that was pretty fun -- I'm glad they included that weird one-off area in the game."  Then like 40 hours later you find yourself right back in that same place after working your way through a totally different dungeon and learning that what you thought was a stand-alone area was really just one part of a much larger enterprise.  

Just took down the academy. Stupid magic nerds got what was coming to them. 

Ive finally hit a groove where I can just confidently hack slash and dodge my way through almost everything. Feels so much better than #####footing around every corner terrified for my life. 

Or I just have 40 vigor.  :football:

Ive finally hit a groove where I can just confidently hack slash and dodge my way through almost everything. Feels so much better than #####footing around every corner terrified for my life. 

I decided long ago I'm not playing that game with then. Farmed for runes to become OP and just clear out an area so I can look around in peace. 

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

To me, this is the essence of Souls games. At some point, you stop fearing everything and just confidently fight. And if you die (and you know you will), you get right back there and hit em again. Or just go somewhere else. But either way, once you get that confidence, that's when Souls really gets addicting. 

To me, this is the essence of Souls games. At some point, you stop fearing everything and just confidently fight. And if you die (and you know you will), you get right back there and hit em again. Or just go somewhere else. But either way, once you get that confidence, that's when Souls really gets addicting. 
Exactly. There's not a mob or boss in this game I fear. I can still get overwhelmed if I don't pay attention. Boss fight just takes learning their moves and down they go. I get more enjoyment in exploring the world then a scribed boss fight. If you're a Dragon and we cross paths your time in the game has come to an end.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

40 Vigor is a big deal, and I made a serious error by sitting there at 20 for a very long time.  

You know this of course, but in other Souls games it's very important to pick a damage stat -- strength, dex, int, or faith usually -- and start pumping that early along with vitality and endurance.  This game is totally different.  Weapon scaling is almost nonexistent for a very long time, so all your damage increases come mainly from leveling up your gear, not your stats.  Also, you don't really need all that much endurance even for melee builds and certainly not for anybody who has a ranged combat option.  The biggest thing you can by far to improve your outcome in the early- and mid-game is to pump your vigor up to 40 for your 1450 HP.  I would have had an easier time with the first third or so of the game if I had realized that earlier.

Holy ####--this is an unbelievably big game with so  much to do.  It is much harder than any game I've ever played before and because of that, I am really thankful that it's easy to farm runes.  If not, I think I'd be done with the game.  The bosses are so tough.  I just offed Godfrey (after getting my soldiers ash to +6) and then faced Margott.   I used the soldiers again but only got through half of his HP.  <sigh>  

Still haven't beaten the Fat ******* on the bridge or Astel, Naturalborn of the void.

Holy ####--this is an unbelievably big game with so  much to do.  It is much harder than any game I've ever played before and because of that, I am really thankful that it's easy to farm runes.  If not, I think I'd be done with the game.  The bosses are so tough.  I just offed Godfrey (after getting my soldiers ash to +6) and then faced Margott.   I used the soldiers again but only got through half of his HP.  <sigh>  

Still haven't beaten the Fat ******* on the bridge or Astel, Naturalborn of the void.
Yeah think I'll be doing a few more hours of rune farming to level up. I also need to do some sacred tear farming so my flasks do a better job of replenishing my bars.

So I haven’t been able to play in very long stretches but even if I only play an hour or two every day I always get something accomplished. Raise a level. Finish an area, new weapon, ash or just beat a boss. 

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
So I haven’t been able to play in very long stretches but even if I only play an hour or two every day I always get something accomplished. Raise a level. Finish an area, new weapon, ash or just beat a boss. 

That's what I tend to do on weeknights.  Sometimes I sit down to play knowing that I won't even clear whatever dungeon I'm starting but I just want to put a dent in it and finish it off over the course of two or three brief evening sessions.

Ok, here's one of those things you Souls veterans will appreciate.

I was fighting the two Tree Sentinels that guard the capital outskirts. On my 5th or 6th try (I keep doing stupid stuff), and using the summons that has quickly beome a favorite  - Nightmaiden and Swordstress puppets. 

Anyway, I kill one, and they have whittled down the other pretty good. 3 on 1 now, easy win.  I cast a spell (rocks) but get caught on a pillar just as he jumps...and he gets me. But as the words YOU DIED appear and the screen starts fading out, my girls are still fighting, and just before it fades I see "ENEMY FELLED" 

Yes! I remember from previous games that was a legit boss kill, and sure enough, it was here. Only drawback was I didn't get runes for the kill. But no biggie (I did get the spoils). That was really cool. 

re: the summons.

I have Mimic Tear +10, Nightmaiden and Swordstress puppets +10, and Luthal +9. The two girls are easily the best in most situations.

In a previous attempt at the two Tree Sentinels, they killed one on their own, and still had 2/3 HP.  Mimic Tear is good too, but I find the AI to be weird sometimes (I guess because of all the possibilities), but these two wannabe Doms just rip into bosses, surrounding them and attacking with swords and whips. 

Luthal took me from fairly early in the game until I finally got the Mimic. Very good early/mid game summons. 

Ok, here's one of those things you Souls veterans will appreciate.

I was fighting the two Tree Sentinels that guard the capital outskirts. On my 5th or 6th try (I keep doing stupid stuff), and using the summons that has quickly beome a favorite  - Nightmaiden and Swordstress puppets. 

Anyway, I kill one, and they have whittled down the other pretty good. 3 on 1 now, easy win.  I cast a spell (rocks) but get caught on a pillar just as he jumps...and he gets me. But as the words YOU DIED appear and the screen starts fading out, my girls are still fighting, and just before it fades I see "ENEMY VANQUISHED" 

Yes! I remember from previous games that was a legit boss kill, and sure enough, it was here. Only drawback was I didn't get runes for the kill. But no biggie (I did get the spoils). That was really cool. 
Mimic would have helped you win that one

Anybody have any tips on dealing with the Leyndell Knights in the Capital?  Im running a lvl 102 sorcerer build and these guys are just wrecking me in one shot any time i get near them

plus their shields completely stop any spell i throw at them

re: the summons.

I have Mimic Tear +10, Nightmaiden and Swordstress puppets +10, and Luthal +9. The two girls are easily the best in most situations.

In a previous attempt at the two Tree Sentinels, they killed one on their own, and still had 2/3 HP.  Mimic Tear is good too, but I find the AI to be weird sometimes (I guess because of all the possibilities), but these two wannabe Doms just rip into bosses, surrounding them and attacking with swords and whips. 

Luthal took me from fairly early in the game until I finally got the Mimic. Very good early/mid game summons. 
I don't need to do this very often, at least not yet, but occasionally you can "program" the Mimic Tear by intentionally unequipping weapons that you don't want it using.  You can also un-memorize some spells that figure to be worthless.  (Do you really need Glintstone Arc for that boss fight?  No?  Then why give it the Mimic as an option?)  

For example, there's a boss later in the game that uses the "You kill him with this special weapon found in the boss arena that's super-strong against this boss and this boss only" gimmick.  We've seen that mechanic before in Demon's Souls (4-3) and Dark Souls 3 (that giant guy whose name I forget).  Well, obviously I want the Mimic to use just that sword, so I deliberately unequipped all other weapons and my staff before summoning the Mimic.  It had literally nothing else to do but use the super-strong weapon that we were provided with.  Obviously we annihilated the boss in question.

I can definitely see doing something like this in tough fights.  Like, just force the Mimic to use a sword so I can sit back and spam Rock Sling or whatever.  Or we could both use weapons that proc frostbite and focus on that.  The main thing is that your Mimic's AI can be exploited.

On a side note, I also got one of those "simultaneous kills" on a boss earlier.  In my case, I had the boss nearly dead, but I got popped just before my spell connected.  I thought I got the runes but I don't really remember.  Those are fun.

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
I don't need to do this very often, at least not yet, but occasionally you can "program" the Mimic Tear by intentionally unequipping weapons that you don't want it using.  You can also un-memorize some spells that figure to be worthless.  (Do you really need Glintstone Arc for that boss fight?  No?  Then why give it the Mimic as an option?)  

Yea, I've been experimenting with this. For boss fights where you can prepare a little, you can mold the mimic to be exactly what you need for that fight. That works really well. But for bosses where you can't summon until the fight starts, I'll usually just use the girls to keep it simple. 

Anybody have any tips on dealing with the Leyndell Knights in the Capital?  Im running a lvl 102 sorcerer build and these guys are just wrecking me in one shot any time i get near them

Do you have a seal and Rott Breath or other high damage spells like Loretta's Greatbow? If not I'd seek those out, the greatbow especially since you can target them from way out. I'd also upgrade your staff as much as possible.

The other option is to rune farm the chicken and level up.

Do you have a seal and Rott Breath or other high damage spells like Loretta's Greatbow? If not I'd seek those out, the greatbow especially since you can target them from way out. I'd also upgrade your staff as much as possible.

The other option is to rune farm the chicken and level up.

Speaking of farming the chicken, most of the time it gives ~13k runes but once in awhile, I get ~62k.  Any idea why?

Speaking of farming the chicken, most of the time it gives ~13k runes but once in awhile, I get ~62k.  Any idea why?
Not a clue, have that happen to me as well. Super odd and I can't seem to find any reason why.

I found either Loretta's Greatbow or the Rocks will stagger them a little, usually setting them up for a second higher-damage shot. I also have my dodge and sword game (moonveil +9) honed pretty well for things where spells aren't as effective.

Not a clue, have that happen to me as well. Super odd and I can't seem to find any reason why.

some enemies will occasionally have glowing eyes - this means they give more runes.  It seems to be fairly random, and on the rare side, but it does happen. Usually I don't notice unless I'm farming (especially the chicken).

some enemies will occasionally have glowing eyes - this means they give more runes.  It seems to be fairly random, and on the rare side, but it does happen. Usually I don't notice unless I'm farming (especially the chicken).

Before I knew about the chicken, I was farming that boulder and sometimes it gave ~7k runes.  No eyes on that.

Before I knew about the chicken, I was farming that boulder and sometimes it gave ~7k runes.  No eyes on that.

Yea, but the boulder is definitely killing "something" down there  :)

I hated that boulder - once in awhile, I'd mess up and get insta-killed twice in a row, losing my hard earned runes.  Chicken is a much better farm, although it takes jumping through some hoops to get there. 

I am now at the point of the game where my attention drifted to my ghetto starting torch and the harsh, unattractive light that it gives off.  I knew there was a blue torch in the game, so I looked up how to find it -- I had been there before but didn't go down that particular path, so I figured this would be easy.  NOPE.  I think I died 12 times at least to one stupid jump I needed to make to get where I needed to go, and I absolutely could not make it for the life of me.  If it wasn't for the shiny item and messages on the other side, I probably would have thought it was impossible.

Finally I learned that you jump further if you hold down the sprint button and press jump while you're still holding down "sprint."  I don't know how the hell they could have possibly expected you to figure that out.  It's an incredibly unnatural finger configuration -- maybe that's an inside joke or something.  But sheesh.  What a drag.

At least I got my cool new torch.  It was worth it honestly. 

I am now at the point of the game where my attention drifted to my ghetto starting torch and the harsh, unattractive light that it gives off.  I knew there was a blue torch in the game, so I looked up how to find it -- I had been there before but didn't go down that particular path, so I figured this would be easy.  NOPE.  I think I died 12 times at least to one stupid jump I needed to make to get where I needed to go, and I absolutely could not make it for the life of me.  If it wasn't for the shiny item and messages on the other side, I probably would have thought it was impossible.

Finally I learned that you jump further if you hold down the sprint button and press jump while you're still holding down "sprint."  I don't know how the hell they could have possibly expected you to figure that out.  It's an incredibly unnatural finger configuration -- maybe that's an inside joke or something.  But sheesh.  What a drag.

At least I got my cool new torch.  It was worth it honestly. 
Wtf is a blue torch

Wtf is a blue torch
It's called the ghostflame torch.  If you use it as a weapon (why would anybody do that?) it inflicts frostbite damage, but mainly it just looks cool.  It puts off a blue-hued light instead of regular torchlight.  You get it by dropping down through the meteor strike and bearing off to the right once you get down to the first roof.  

I'm the same level and just started the same area, also as a mage.  My main melee weapon is a magic claymore +20.  I'm running Giant Hunt on it, and that ash of war works really well against these guys.  That move does pretty good damage, but more importantly it lifts the enemy unto the air and hurls him back down, so his guard is temporarily broken.  That's all the opening I need to finish one of those guys off.

I know there are other ashes that assist with guard-breaking, so you might experiment with some if you don't happen to have this one. I don't remember where I got it or what weapons it's restricted to.

I'm the same level and just started the same area, also as a mage.  My main melee weapon is a magic claymore +20.  I'm running Giant Hunt on it, and that ash of war works really well against these guys.  That move does pretty good damage, but more importantly it lifts the enemy unto the air and hurls him back down, so his guard is temporarily broken.  That's all the opening I need to finish one of those guys off.

I know there are other ashes that assist with guard-breaking, so you might experiment with some if you don't happen to have this one. I don't remember where I got it or what weapons it's restricted to.

Will give that a try, thx

What is your strength at?

BTW - in typical fashion I havent used any consumable or any of my ashes of war yet. 

Its time to start. 
I hardly ever use consumables either.  The one that gets rid of scarlet rot is pretty much required for a certain area, but otherwise they mostly seem underpowered.  Maybe I should play around with them more though.

The ashes of war are extremely useful though.  You're kind of gimping yourself by not experimenting with these and finding a few that you like.  Even if you don't like melee, there are several that do various types of short-range ranged damage, as well as some that are sort of situational.  For me, my guy has no problem melting people at range, and I'm not trying to get in a bunch of quick hits to apply any status effects or anything.  I just need a semi-reliable way of dealing with enemies with shields and/or high poise.  Several ashes provide good solutions there.  

I hardly ever use consumables either.  The one that gets rid of scarlet rot is pretty much required for a certain area, but otherwise they mostly seem underpowered.  Maybe I should play around with them more though.

The ashes of war are extremely useful though.  You're kind of gimping yourself by not experimenting with these and finding a few that you like.  Even if you don't like melee, there are several that do various types of short-range ranged damage, as well as some that are sort of situational.  For me, my guy has no problem melting people at range, and I'm not trying to get in a bunch of quick hits to apply any status effects or anything.  I just need a semi-reliable way of dealing with enemies with shields and/or high poise.  Several ashes provide good solutions there.  

Oh I know but its such a bad habit of mine. I read somewhere that some of the ashes can only be used once so Ive been waiting to have the ability to duplicate them before using them.

Its dumb and totally self inflicted. Ill go watch some youtube videos on them. 

Oh I know but its such a bad habit of mine. I read somewhere that some of the ashes can only be used once so Ive been waiting to have the ability to duplicate them before using them.

Its dumb and totally self inflicted. Ill go watch some youtube videos on them. 
Each ash can only be used on one weapon at a time, but you can swap them out and re-apply them to other weapons.  So if you put a cool ash on a weapon that you no longer want to use, you can remove it and put it on some other weapon instead.  No reason to "hold onto them."

I won’t link it because it’s not confirmed and if it’s true would contain spoilers - folks think they have figured out the DLC. 

Unspoilerific version is that we have the overworld, underworld and the DLC could open up a new sky world. 

Game is HUGE already. 

Ive done so much exploring and hoping around I have no idea where/what I’m supposed to do next. 

Now rocking the great stars+15 with flame ash. Not sure if I’m going to stick with it. 

Well, there's definitely a step up in difficulty after Leyndell, but my goodness do they throw runes at you.  I just barely started the Mountaintops of the Giants, and I've already gained like 3-4 levels in maybe -- very generously -- two hours of gameplay.  I'm currently at level 110, and I feel fairly confident that I'll get to ~150 by the end of the game.  That's with almost no farming whatsoever.  I did farm a bit to be able to buy smithing stones and things like that, but all my levels just came from playing the game normally.

On one hand, that's great.  The fact that this game gives you so much to do and is so well-balanced means that you can just sit down and play the game without worrying a lot about over- or under-levelling.  On the other hand, I wonder what it would be like to start a new game from scratch.  Do I really want to do all those catacombs, caverns, forts, and little encampments again just for the XP?  Because you'll need those XP for the late game regions it seems.  It might be better to respec and just do a new character in NG+. 

Users who are viewing this thread