What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Elden Ring Thread - Tips, Tricks, Builds... Calling it now - 2022's Game of the Year. (1 Viewer)

Oh and how the hell were you supposed to know how to start the half-wolf’s (Blair’s) quest line with a gosh darn gesture in off-line play?!?

That feels unfair to have to try and figure that out. 

Oh and how the hell were you supposed to know how to start the half-wolf’s (Blair’s) quest line with a gosh darn gesture in off-line play?!?

Welcome to Fromsoftware games....I googled everything to make sure I didn't #### anything up.

fasteddie_21 said:

Yeah it’s impossible. I just play through and let the chips fall where they may and then use the wikis for NG+. 

By that time people have the entire game down to a science and make some checklists which make it all simple. 

I feel better having seen y’all look stuff up:)

Debating refilling to a caster. But definitely having fun with this. Gotten to the point where either I laugh at myself when I get overconfident and die from that or running past nova and just skipping them. 

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
I feel better having seen y’all look stuff up:)

Debating refilling to a caster. But definitely having fun with this. Gotten to the point where either I laugh at myself when I get overconfident and die from that or running past nova and just skipping them. 

Looking things up is prettymuch part of the game design. The community is important to Souls games.

A few other things: do not feel the least bit bad about cheesing anything. It's all valid. 

Look up powerful weapons / items online, and go get them. Even if you need to do suicide runs. All fair.

Get a good summons. For early-ish / mid game, I suggest Luthal the Headless. Pretty easy to get, and will take you all the way to the Mimic and Tiche. 

Settle on a weapon / fighting style you like, and upgrade that weapon. With upgrades and ashes of war, almost every weapon could be viable. 

Synergy between Talismans and your build is more important than it first appears.

Use that special flask. I usually mixed two things that would help with boss fights and used it before going in.

You can spend a lot of time building/upgrading before plowing through the story. I got flasks as high as I could, opened up talisman and spell slots/etc well before I was "supposed" to be in the areas that yielded those upgrades. Again, in a souls game, this is totally valid (and fun). 

Most of the NPC quest lines are still complete-able very late in the game.  For example, I completely blew off the lady who hands out free hugs in Roundtable, and of course there's a quest attached to that NPC.  I think I was able to do that entire quest from start to finish after beating the final boss.  You probably don't need to stress too much about missing a particular NPC encounter.  

Thanks for the tips y’all. Been busy with kids, but will make use of this soon!

who all is still playing this?

Thanks for the tips y’all. Been busy with kids, but will make use of this soon!

who all is still playing this?

I'm still tooling around. Still on my second playthrough (first one was a mage / moonveil Katana. This one is a STR/Faith Blasphemous Blade). Will probably do one more to try out another build (dual wield / rivers of blood bleed?)

I'm still tooling around. Still on my second playthrough (first one was a mage / moonveil Katana. This one is a STR/Faith Blasphemous Blade). Will probably do one more to try out another build (dual wield / rivers of blood bleed?)
I got burned out before getting my second Rivers of Blood, but I dual-wielded the Godskin Peeler for a bit and honestly that was pretty fun.  It made the game slightly more Bloodborne-like since I was playing without a shield, but shields aren't all that great in this game to begin with so it wasn't that much of an adjustment.  

I got burned out before getting my second Rivers of Blood, but I dual-wielded the Godskin Peeler for a bit and honestly that was pretty fun.  It made the game slightly more Bloodborne-like since I was playing without a shield, but shields aren't all that great in this game to begin with so it wasn't that much of an adjustment.  

Agree about shields except for the fingerprint shield.  You can build your character around this shield to essentially never lose stamina while blocking.  Pair this with a spear or polearm that can attack without lowering the shield, and you pretty much become indestructible outside of a few situations. It's pretty powerful but knod of boring too.

Got the PS5 version and OMG the load times are SO much shorter than the Xbox X. 

Rerolled my Samurai and making my way to get the Nagachiba now. Still loving the game. 

35 hours in. Level 47. Got the Nagachiba and duel-wielding it with the Uchigatana, both at +12. 

Still in Liurnia of the Lakes and exploring all over. Going thru and taking care of the various Night’s Watch & DeadBirds. Then gonna tackle the Tree Sentinel & Dragon in the starting area. Then onto the Academy!

Just picked this up and it’s pretty overwhelming. Hard to even understand how to apply ashes, where to find anything etc. Got to Margit but keep getting beaten down. The play through I see on YouTube, they block with their shield. Mine seems to be useless. I’ll keep fiddling with it but I’m not sure I’m up for going much further.

Just picked this up and it’s pretty overwhelming. Hard to even understand how to apply ashes, where to find anything etc. Got to Margit but keep getting beaten down. The play through I see on YouTube, they block with their shield. Mine seems to be useless. I’ll keep fiddling with it but I’m not sure I’m up for going much further.
Go read a few build guides based on your play style, it helps tremendously. There will likely be a ton of grinding that you'll need to do as well. Using guides to get the best gear for your build/style are also highly recommended.

And to me, one of the most beautiful things about this game is that there are no absolute paths, run into someone that is too hard for you? Go somewhere else and level up some more and come back.

That's the way it's supposed to feel

Go read a few build guides based on your play style, it helps tremendously. There will likely be a ton of grinding that you'll need to do as well. Using guides to get the best gear for your build/style are also highly recommended.

And to me, one of the most beautiful things about this game is that there are no absolute paths, run into someone that is too hard for you? Go somewhere else and level up some more and come back.
Over leveling your character is a viable strategy for Elden Ring. Read some guilds and watch YouTube to find grinding areas and level up.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Over leveling your character is a viable strategy for Elden Ring. Read some guilds and watch YouTube to find grinding areas and level up.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks all for the advice all. I have vigor up to 30 but still can’t get through Margit. Get it to half health pretty easily but when the hammer comes out I basically can’t make a dent. I will keep trying I guess but yikes!

Over leveling your character is a viable strategy for Elden Ring. Read some guilds and watch YouTube to find grinding areas and level up.
Thanks all for the advice all. I have vigor up to 30 but still can’t get through Margit. Get it to half health pretty easily but when the hammer comes out I basically can’t make a dent. I will keep trying I guess but yikes!
[/QUOTE]

Use summons - either other players or your spirit ashes. Let the summons distract the boss while you wack it from behind.

What weapon are you using?

Good point. Have you found the spirit bell yet?

it’s very important to try and clear every cave and over world areas in limgrave before heading to Stormveil castle.

If you do that there won’t be a need to grind.

You can add/swap out ashes at bonfires. Don’t be scared to fool around with them.

I always have a mace/morning star or flail with a sacred ash as a backup. This will work better on enemies like skeletons so they don’t respawn.

try adding a different Ash to compliment your weapon. For example, I use a twinblad which naturally has bleed on it. By adding a frost ash I now do bleed AND frost damage. It’s devastating.

If using a shield, make sure it has 100 physical resist.

Don’t forget that you can also use weapon grease to temporary apply fire/magic/sacred damage. (Not all weapons allow this)

I always carry a bow to pull enemies one at a time, take health down and sometimes outright kill hard enemies without ever engaging them.

Are you using the jellyfish spirit? That particular spirit ash won't be viable for very long, but for Margit it does what it needs to do, which is drawing aggro from time to time and staying alive.

Are you using the jellyfish spirit? That particular spirit ash won't be viable for very long, but for Margit it does what it needs to do, which is drawing aggro from time to time and staying alive.
Spirit bell is such a huge part of the game for me. If it weren't for Black Knife Tiche I would never have been able to finish the game.

Use summons - either other players or your spirit ashes. Let the summons distract the boss while you wack it from behind.

[/QUOTE]

Some straight sword leveled to x3. I do have wolf and skeleton summons and Wolf helps some but I’m just not doing enough damage on part 2 of the boss. I see how you are supposed to roll through the jumping hammer strike but it’s still difficult to avoid

Some straight sword leveled to x3. I do have wolf and skeleton summons and Wolf helps some but I’m just not doing enough damage on part 2 of the boss. I see how you are supposed to roll through the jumping hammer strike but it’s still difficult to avoid
[/QUOTE]
Go get the Jellyfish

I do not have that one. It’s on my list to go find Rodericka

Some straight sword leveled to x3.

You’re going to want to swap that out for something else and level it higher than +3.

Do some suicide runs just running around and gathering shiny objects and opening up the map.

I do not have that one. It’s on my list to go find Rodericka
She's on what is supposed to be the main path to Margit, I think. You either walked right past her or you did what I did and completely ignored the main path.

I

You’re going to want to swap that out for something else and level it higher than +3.

Do some suicide runs just running around and gathering shiny objects and opening up the map.
This is what I did. I still stink at this game, but I am very hard-headed and I am not one to walk away from a challenge. True story, my wife actually MADE me go buy a couple more PS5 games because she was concerned about how stressed and angry Elden makes me.She was hoping I would sprinkle in some golf games to keep me sane. I have actually invented cuss words as I play this game. I sort of feel like the dad in A Christmas Story.

I am level 90, but I feel like my Confessor is still not a good build. I can't find amazing armor anywhere. I do have a Greatsword +6, but it is cumbersome as heck to use in combat and I am always at max load on my equipment, so rolling away is a verrryyy slowwww process. I really wish the game explained more about which Ashes/Spells are the best. The Wolves are still my go to helpers.

I think the only reason I have the levels I do is I have had to restart so many battles after dying that I have to go back in and kill enemy after enemy that I already killed to get where I need to be. I got to the Academy last night, but I am not sure I am ready for that. I think I am just going to continue to wander around and look for things that may help my guy and monsters that will kill me.

I

This is what I did. I still stink at this game, but I am very hard-headed and I am not one to walk away from a challenge. True story, my wife actually MADE me go buy a couple more PS5 games because she was concerned about how stressed and angry Elden makes me.She was hoping I would sprinkle in some golf games to keep me sane. I have actually invented cuss words as I play this game. I sort of feel like the dad in A Christmas Story.

I am level 90, but I feel like my Confessor is still not a good build. I can't find amazing armor anywhere. I do have a Greatsword +6, but it is cumbersome as heck to use in combat and I am always at max load on my equipment, so rolling away is a verrryyy slowwww process. I really wish the game explained more about which Ashes/Spells are the best. The Wolves are still my go to helpers.

I think the only reason I have the levels I do is I have had to restart so many battles after dying that I have to go back in and kill enemy after enemy that I already killed to get where I need to be. I got to the Academy last night, but I am not sure I am ready for that. I think I am just going to continue to wander around and look for things that may help my guy and monsters that will kill me.

Oh man, I feel for you. That was how my first run felt trying a mage build. I restarted and went with a dex build using twinblades and it’s been fantastic.

This game wants you to use all its bells and whistles and if you don’t, it’s a lot harder.

Magic is more meant to be more of a complimentary skill rather than your main attack. You can go straight mage but it’s going to be very hard and since you’ll be spamming the same spell over and over- pretty boring.

Weapons:

You need to decide how you’re going to play.

Dex - typically you can get in a lot of hits for bleed/frost/fire/magic buildup. (Like how you sometimes get “poisoned” or :madness: and you lose a lot of health or die immediately - you can do that to your enemies too.

Some weapons naturally cause bleed damage so it’s smart to issue a different ash like frost so now your weapon does both!

STR- typically these weapons will “stagger” or “break poise” on your enemies. Most of these weapons take longer to swing but often leave your enemy stunned or flat like a pancake after just a hit or two.

Quality-( High Dex and high STR) Best of both worlds.

The reason you would NOT go quality is - weapon scaling. Each weapon you have scales to your attributes. So sometimes if you have a weapon you really like, it might be better to focus on raising that stat really high to get incredible damage.

Ashes-

I really like the skeleton remains because they respawn and don’t take a lot of FP to use.

They give you a lot of these ashes because they are meant to be swapped out and used against particular enemies.

I

Oh man, I feel for you. That was how my first run felt trying a mage build. I restarted and went with a dex build using twinblades and it’s been fantastic.

This game wants you to use all its bells and whistles and if you don’t, it’s a lot harder.

Magic is more meant to be more of a complimentary skill rather than your main attack. You can go straight mage but it’s going to be very hard and since you’ll be spamming the same spell over and over- pretty boring.
I went straight INT and FAI, sword of night and flame, erdtree seal and carian staff. The game wasn't bad once I did all the grinding to level up. Used a ton of different spells and breaths so not sure why you say it's boring.

It's key to do the chicken farm, it's the easiest way to grind out levels.

I can not stress this enough, if you can't find armor or weapons, use the myriad of different guides out there for the best X for your build. Then focus on getting the gear and grinding for upgrading it. This game will not and it seems the FromSoftware actually relishes giving you zero help or any guidance.

I

I went straight INT and FAI, sword of night and flame, erdtree seal and carian staff. The game wasn't bad once I did all the grinding to level up. Used a ton of different spells and breaths so not sure why you say it's boring.

I found magic to be boring because I was casting the same spells over and over. I know it’s the same for swinging your sword or axe but that seems different.

I can not stress this enough, if you can't find armor or weapons, use the myriad of different guides out there for the best X for your build. Then focus on getting the gear and grinding for upgrading it. This game will not and it seems the FromSoftware actually relishes giving you zero help or any guidance.

Odd that out of all the souls games this is the biggest, yet I feel like there are so few armor sets.

I

I found magic to be boring because I was casting the same spells over and over. I know it’s the same for swinging your sword or axe but that seems different.
Man I don't know about that, you can unlock a ton of slots and can use a ton of different ones. Casting a giant moon, Loretta's Great bow that fires one huge arrow or later on 4 arrows. Retaliation Carian swords, lighting, sooo many things you can cast.

Odd that out of all the souls games this is the biggest, yet I feel like there are so few armor sets.
I must have had at least twenty different sets at one point, here's the list. It's pretty long.

I would look online for other ash locations and go get Luthal the Headless or someone else who can actually tank and help you. Then go get ghost gloveworts (or whatever they are called) and level them up.

Ashes-

I really like the skeleton remains because they respawn and don’t take a lot of FP to use.

They give you a lot of these ashes because they are meant to be swapped out and used against particular enemies.
Interesting, I used them once and didn’t notice that. Will try again. You can only do one summon per boss, right?

I would look online for other ash locations and go get Luthal the Headless or someone else who can actually tank and help you. Then go get ghost gloveworts (or whatever they are called) and level them up.
I just got him. I would need to raise my Mind a few levels (and use a medallion) to even have enough FP to summon him.

He’s significantly better than the two Skelton ashes?

I just got him. I would need to raise my Mind a few levels (and use a medallion) to even have enough FP to summon him.

I think so. The ashes that are "named" are pretty strong.

I used him (her?) for a long time. I ended up replacing him with the two girls with whips, then went to mimic/tiche. So to me, Luthal is #4 on the list. Very tanky, does good damage, and can quick teleport to another part of the battlefield (that can sometimes cause the boss to aggro you because Luthal vanished for a second, but the tankiness makes up for it)

Ashes-

Interesting, I used them once and didn’t notice that. Will try again. You can only do one summon per boss, right?

Yes. The better ashes can trivialize many bosses too. On NG+, Tiche can nearly kill most pre-fire-giant bosses herself - I sit back and lob boulders.

It's a bit of a shock to go back to older games and not have ashes. I'm playing the Demon's Souls remake now, and I'm all alone...

Before I go any further into the "harder" areas, I spent the afternoon just knocking out the remaining optional bosses in Limgrave and Weeping Peninsula. I have completed Stormville and beat Godrick previously. Through my travels, I have somehow now arrived at Mt. Gelmer just now. The recommended Level is 80 and a +25 weapon. My sword is now only +7 and I have been using the Axe of Goodrick also. I walked in the first battle area and these rolling guys swinging blades were battling other guys.. Yeah, that went well. I got swallowed up and spit out in a bloody mess. I think I will go somewhere else.

I got the Royal Remains full set, but I still like my Cuckoo armor with the Imp Head even though it weighs a ton.

I think so. The ashes that are "named" are pretty strong.

I used him (her?) for a long time. I ended up replacing him with the two girls with whips, then went to mimic/tiche. So to me, Luthal is #4 on the list. Very tanky, does good damage, and can quick teleport to another part of the battlefield (that can sometimes cause the boss to aggro you because Luthal vanished for a second, but the tankiness makes up for it)
I also used Banished Knight Oleg, tanky and great to pull aggro.

Okay, I cheated and used a rune farm to get about 7 levels. :bag:

There are just some bosses I can't beat. I think I spent 3 hours yesterday dying to the Godskin Apostle in the Windmill town. Man, that was frustrating. Even using my wolves, this guy just wastes me every time. I tried using bleed weapons because that is what he is supposedly weak to, but he has such a variety of attacks, it is hard to get in and get out without being crushed. I even tried the back stab and then run methods to no avail. I am 103 hours in and I am 14% complete---uggghhh.

I have resolved I will never finish this game and this is just a time filler until Diablo comes out.

There are just some bosses I can't beat. I think I spent 3 hours yesterday dying to the Godskin Apostle in the Windmill town. Man, that was frustrating. Even using my wolves, this guy just wastes me every time. I tried using bleed weapons because that is what he is supposedly weak to, but he has such a variety of attacks, it is hard to get in and get out without being crushed. I even tried the back stab and then run methods to no avail. I am 103 hours in and I am 14% complete---uggghhh.

I have resolved I will never finish this game and this is just a time filler until Diablo comes out.
This is absolutely not cheating, if FromSoftware didn't want them in their game they could patch them out like Destiny has done so many times.

I initially thought the same thing, until I figured out how to get the better weapons for my play style and getting these three ashes that absolutely carried me. Black Knife Tiche, Mimic Tear, and Banished Knight Oleg.

The great thing about this game is you can grab a ton of upgrades by just running through areas, you don't have to beat everyone, get on Torrent, run through and find it, jump off and grab it, get back on Torrent, and take off.

Also, do not be afraid to summon people to help you with bosses, it's a huge part of the game as well.

Get a better summons. Level it up. The wolves are not going to help much when it comes to anything beyond simple bosses.

Go get Luthal or Oleg. Look online for where they are, and go get one.

Note: there is no such thing as cheating or exploits in this game. If the game allows you to do it, it's perfectly valid. Looking online at wikis and doing suicide runs to get better gear is perfectly acceptable. They clearly meant it to be played that way. Same thing with farming.

Case in point - there's a chest you can find very early that teleports you to a place you have no prayer of beating anyone if you are low level. Your only option is to run. But if you feel like exploring a bit, also in that area are some nice goodies, including a very powerful mage staff. Taking it then dying is 100% within the game's structure.

Users who are viewing this thread