What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL**** FBG METAL THREAD (1 Viewer)

jdoggydogg

Footballguy
Ahhite boys. Let's get this circle put moving. Post your favorite new metal stuff, your top 10s, show news, show reviews here. I've been to some great shows recently, so I'll post some reviews shortly. Plus, I've got some new bands that'll shatter your bones. 

:headbang:

/openthread 

@NYRAGE

Label entrepreneur, friend of metal, God of Thunder (forget Gene Simmons), stalwart Jets fan. 

What's your top ten of all time? 

Last edited by a moderator:
matuski said:
First concert was Suicidal Tendencies opening for Queensryche in El Paso April 1991.   :headbang:

Not relevant, and aside from 90s metal I am completely out of the loop, so I will lurk!

eta - had never heard of ST and they brought the house down with this live.
My friend went to a later day Suicidal concert. A little known band named Pantera opened. Pantera destroyed, of course. My fried called it The Tour That Killed Suicidal Tendencies, because they broke up soon after the tour concluded. 

rockaction said:
Tough question. What's your list?

I'll answer it with two columns - one for classic metal and one for more modern stuff:

My Top 10 classic old school metal bands:
1. Black Sabbath
2. Iron Maiden
3. Metallica
4. Slayer 
5. Napalm Death
6. Pantera
7. Exodus
8. Deathangel
9. Morbid Angel
10. Cannibal Corpse

My Top 10 Metal bands from the last 20 years:
1. Gojira
2. Behemoth
3. Lamb of God
4. Asphyx
5. Hideous Divinity
6. Vader
7. Misery Index
8. Power Trip
9. Killswitch Engage
10. Soulfy

/openthread 

@NYRAGE

Label entrepreneur, friend of metal, God of Thunder (forget Gene Simmons), stalwart Jets fan. 

I went to the Hell's Heroes fest last week. I saw Dark Angel, Candlemass, Midnight, Whiplash, Exciter, Hellstar and others.

Top 10 concerts of all time:

1. Slayer/Cro-Mags 1987

2. Possessed/Dark Angel CBGBs - 1987

3-10 Every other Slayer show 1985-1988

Top 10 bands ()

1. Bolt Thrower

2. Possessed

3 Slayer

4 Immolation

5 Sacrifice

6 Terrorizer

7 Sadus

8 Ripping Corpse

9  Dark Angel

10 Entombed

Honorable Mention: CroMags (favorite hardcore band)

Tough question. What's your list?

I'll answer it with two columns - one for classic metal and one for more modern stuff:

My Top 10 classic old school metal bands:
1. Black Sabbath - the masters
2. Iron Maiden - those early 80s concerts were the best
3. Metallica - I bought Kill Em All the day the record came out just because of the album cover. Amazing.
4. Slayer - best live band of all time
5. Napalm Death - I saw their first US shows in 1989. Holy hell. Like nothing I had ever seen.
6. Pantera - Never got into them.
7. Exodus - Bonded by Blood is definitely a top 10 album
8. Deathangel - Those first 2-3 records were great
9. Morbid Angel - Chuck from Death was jealous of MA.  He called me Joe Generico because I loved MA so much. I sat next to Pete Sandoval on stage at show in Buffalo. I was in a trance by his drumming.
10. Cannibal Corpse - Never got into them, but saw them in Buffalo before they got big and went to a party at Alex Webster's apt.

My Top 10 Metal bands from the last 20 years:
1. Gojira
2. Behemoth
3. Lamb of God
4. Asphyx - Freaking amazing live. I flew to California to see them in LA and SD the last time they were in the US. Got to hang out with them before the show.
5. Hideous Divinity
6. Vader - good live
7. Misery Index
8. Power Trip
9. Killswitch Engage
10. Soulfy - I was one of the first people from the US to interview Max when he was in Sepultura. They stayed at my friend's house for 3 weeks before they started their first US tour. I have lots of Sepultura stories.
Adding some comments above

I went to the Hell's Heroes fest last week. I saw Dark Angel, Candlemass, Midnight, Whiplash, Exciter, Hellstar and others.

Top 10 concerts of all time:

1. Slayer/Cro-Mags 1987

2. Possessed/Dark Angel CBGBs - 1987

3-10 Every other Slayer show 1985-1988

Top 10 bands ()

1. Bolt Thrower

2. Possessed

3 Slayer

4 Immolation

5 Sacrifice

6 Terrorizer

7 Sadus

8 Ripping Corpse

9  Dark Angel

10 Entombed

Honorable Mention: CroMags (favorite hardcore band)
That's a solid list! My favorite metal / hardcore shows:

Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules (doesn't get better than Ronnie James Dio)
Gojira - Oni and Pallbearer opened (Gojira are my current favorite live band)
Rush w/ Primus (best opening band ever?)
Jello Biafra (tiny club, epic pit)
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance (Great White opened and sucked. Who cares?)
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil (Crue are a joke now, but this album is great and the show was amazing)
Circle Jerks w/ The Adolescents and Negative Approach

2. Iron Maiden - those early 80s concerts were the best
Hell yes. I know I've told this story before, but I can't resist: in 1983, I saw Scorpions and Iron Maiden open for Loverboy and Foreigner. IM and Scorps killed it,m of course. But even Loverboy were suprisingly good. Foreigner didn't stand a chance. We didn't even stay for the entire set. 

3. Metallica - I bought Kill Em All the day the record came out just because of the album cover. Amazing.
Yeah, I got Kill 'Em All and Slayer's Show no Mercy around the same time. I had never heard punk rock, so I had no idea people could play guitar that fast. 

8. Deathangel - Those first 2-3 records were great
I don't know if you've heard their last few albums, but they are pretty damn good. 
You and I need to grab a beer and talk metal some day. 

That's a solid list! My favorite metal / hardcore shows:

Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules (doesn't get better than Ronnie James Dio)
Gojira - Oni and Pallbearer opened (Gojira are my current favorite live band)
Rush w/ Primus (best opening band ever?)
Jello Biafra (tiny club, epic pit)
Judas Priest - Screaming For Vengeance (Great White opened and sucked. Who cares?)
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil (Crue are a joke now, but this album is great and the show was amazing)
Circle Jerks w/ The Adolescents and Negative Approach

I saw Dio on his own a few times, but not with Sabbath. That must have been great.

I remember telling Jeff Becerra from Possessed my Primus story. I was wearing a Possessed shirt at a Primus show in Florida (maybe 1996 or so). Les sees it from onstage and says, "hey Larry, look, that guy is wearing a shirt of that ####ty death metal band you were in".  Larry just laughed as Les continued to make fun of Possessed. I was fuming. I was so hardcore at the time. How dare Larry just laugh it off? Possessed were legendary and so important to the scene. Jeff told me, Larry is a good guy. Probably just laughing at Les goofing on him. I was like, ok.

I saw Priest lots of times in the 80s. I wish I had seen them in the 70s.  I was just listening to Sad Wings of Destiny a couple of days ago.

Motley Crue blew away Ozzy on that SATD tour.

Being up front in the standing pit for the "Heaven and Hell" reunion was a top 3 or 4 concert experience for me, just to hang there and soak in all that sweet sweet RJD... didn't even notice those other guys up there whoever they were

I saw Dio on his own a few times, but not with Sabbath. That must have been great.

I remember telling Jeff Becerra from Possessed my Primus story. I was wearing a Possessed shirt at a Primus show in Florida (maybe 1996 or so). Les sees it from onstage and says, "hey Larry, look, that guy is wearing a shirt of that ####ty death metal band you were in".  Larry just laughed as Les continued to make fun of Possessed. I was fuming. I was so hardcore at the time. How dare Larry just laugh it off? Possessed were legendary and so important to the scene. Jeff told me, Larry is a good guy. Probably just laughing at Les goofing on him. I was like, ok.

I saw Priest lots of times in the 80s. I wish I had seen them in the 70s.  I was just listening to Sad Wings of Destiny a couple of days ago.

Motley Crue blew away Ozzy on that SATD tour.
Sweet. When I saw Primus open for Rush, I liked Primus, but had never seen them live. So when the Primus fans started the PRIMUS SUCKS chant, I thought, "That ain't cool!" not knowing that was an inside joke. 

Being up front in the standing pit for the "Heaven and Hell" reunion was a top 3 or 4 concert experience for me, just to hang there and soak in all that sweet sweet RJD... didn't even notice those other guys up there whoever they were
That would have been awesome. Dio is the king. 

More of an old school guy, but looking forward to checking out some of the recommendations for newer stuff.  My personal top 10 (across all sub-genres):
1. Slayer
2. Metallica
3. Iron Maiden
4. Sabbath/Ozzy
5. Overkill
6. Exodus
7. Obituary
8. Sepultura
9. Death
10. Gwar

More of an old school guy, but looking forward to checking out some of the recommendations for newer stuff.  My personal top 10 (across all sub-genres):
1. Slayer - Early Slayer was the best live band I've ever seen. Show No Mercy was great, but the first time I heard Hell Awaits, it was on a metal radio show before the album was released. The hair on my arm stood up when I heard the opening (title) track.  Just amazing.  Luckily I got to see them many times in the 80s. Every show at L'Amours in NY was sold out and the energy from the crowd was something that I never experienced again. Not even the time I saw them at the Felt Forum when everyone ripped up the chairs and flung the seat cushions on stage in the infamous "seat cushion riot".

2. Metallica - I started out in the contracts dept for Atlantic/Elektra as a temp for a year. I have the last page of their contract signed by all the original members (RIP Cliff). The A&R guy had a crush on me and asked for me to hand deliver their checks every quarter. Nothing like bringing up million dollar checks. The one advantage for the guy having a crush on me was getting lots of Metallica stuff. I remember one time when I worked in the warehouse, my boss wouldn't let me go meet Metallica upstairs. I was so mad that I broke a window in the mailroom. I ended up going upstairs anyway to meet them. This was around the And Justice album.

3. Iron Maiden -  The Number of the Beast tour was my first time seeing them. I would have loved to have seen them with Paul D.

4. Sabbath/Ozzy - What's there to say that hasn't been said already.

5. Overkill - My first underground show was Overkill in 85.  Saw them many, many times. I guess I was an immature kid at the time because I would always drop stink bombs when they played "Rotten to the Core". I cracked myself up watching Bobby Blitz complain about the stink and it being "really rotten to the core up here".  "Feel the Fire" album still sounds great today.

6. Exodus - Bonded by Blood is one of the best, if not the best, thrash album of all time. The first couple of albums after Paul were still decent, but I hit the eject button afterwards.

7. Obituary - oh my god. There was nothing like "Slowly We Rot" when it first came out. I flew down to Florida immediately to see them with Malevolent Creation and Cynic. Probably my funniest Obituary story was when I smoked on the tour bus with Sadus (the guys from Demolition Hammer spiked the pot with pcp without us knowing at the time) and I went on a crazy trip. After running around the parking lot, I ran through a side door that led to the stage. I stood on stage for like ten minutes completely tripping while Obituary played.  They left me alone the whole time until a couple of friends recognized me and got me down.  A few years ago I was on the 70,000 tons of metal cruise and I ran into the Sadus roadie that told me what Demolition Hammer had done to the pot.  Obituary played on the cruise. On the last day of the cruise, I woke up and saw Trevor of Obituary sleeping in my female bunkmate's bed. Small world.

8. Sepultura  - I was a fan of Morbid Visions and Schizophrenia. I remember interviewing them by phone before they released Beneath the Remains. They stayed with my friend for 3 weeks before they kicked off that tour.  Lots of good stories from hanging out with them. The only English that Paulo knew at the time was "show me your teets" and he basically said that to almost every girl he ran into. We took them to Slipped Disc on Long Island for a record signing. We also took them to see bands rehearse. Lots of things during those 3 weeks before they would become huge and famous. The worst story was moving into my friend's house after Sepultura left and finding Max's diarrhea-stained Batman underoos under the bed. These guys weren't the cleanest to be honest. Hard to believe that these are the same guys that now charge $100 for a picture in meet and greets.

9. Death - I became friends with Chuck after I interviewed him. It was always great talking to him, but he was a complex character. I really loved those first few albums. A lot of fans got turned off by Death's more accessible sound starting with Spiritual Healing, but I think most appreciated it later as they/we got out of our heavier/more extreme metal period.

10. Gwar - Never got into their music, but I could appreciate their stage show. Definitely entertaining.
Excellent list. Some comments above.

For me Pantera's Vulgar Display of Tower will always be #1, I owned 2 cassettes before making the big switch to CD's and this album would be the pre surf pump up sound track on the way to the beach. Albeit only for 2 years before switching over to pennywise's unknown road, damn I want to go back to the early 90's :cry:

For me Pantera's Vulgar Display of Tower will always be #1, I owned 2 cassettes before making the big switch to CD's and this album would be the pre surf pump up sound track on the way to the beach. Albeit only for 2 years before switching over to pennywise's unknown road, damn I want to go back to the early 90's :cry:

Definitely in my all time top 10, although I'm not excited about Phil's Nazism.

My new favorite band is Avatar. Weird, funny, and super heavy Swedish band. Kind of a hybrid of Marilyn Manson and Slipknot.

Check out these two vids:

Hail The Apocalypse - great looking video and a banger of a song
Let it Burn - Sick live song
These guys are great. They had a really good run of albums with Avatar, Black Waltz and HTA. I didn't like much after those until this new record, which is awesome.

Valley of Disease
Chimp Mosh Pit

My new favorite band is Avatar. Weird, funny, and super heavy Swedish band. Kind of a hybrid of Marilyn Manson and Slipknot.

These guys are great. They had a really good run of albums with Avatar, Black Waltz and HTA. I didn't like much after those until this new record, which is awesome.

Valley of Disease
Chimp Mosh Pit

Yeah, I love these guys.

I hear Deftones, Korn, and a little Pantera in them. This scratches an itch I didn't know I had: they're simultaneously funny and heavy - which is kind of a magic trick.

Valley of Disease
Chimp Mosh Pit

Yeah, I love these guys.

I hear Deftones, Korn, and a little Pantera in them. This scratches an itch I didn't know I had: they're simultaneously funny and heavy - which is kind of a magic trick.
I agree. They're a strange band, but they write hooks like nobody's business.

Valley of Disease
Chimp Mosh Pit

Yeah, I love these guys.

I agree. They're a strange band, but they write hooks like nobody's business.

Yeah. I was listening to the bands that are opening for Avatar, and while they are very heavy, I miss the hooks.

Users who are viewing this thread