What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Official** Gruden's QB Camp - 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...ing-monday-morning-quarterback/?sct=uk_t11_a3

Excerpt from Peter King's MMQB:

What makes Gruden Gruden is happening now on TV.

You'll see Jon Gruden at his cocky, snarling, football-smarts best this week, when he continues his must-see-TV series breaking down the top quarterbacks in the draft. Now, this is not to shred Jon Gruden the Monday Night Football color man. At all. This is to praise him for a series I love every year, Gruden's QB Camp on ESPN. This is what he does best -- coach and carouse with and stick the needle in the players we'll see on NFL fields in the future. And this week's the week to watch: half-hour shows on ESPN2 breaking down tape and on-field drills with West Virginia's Geno Smith (Tuesday, 7 p.m. Eastern), USC's Matt Barkley (Tuesday, 7:30 p.m.), Florida State's E.J. Manuel (Thursday, 7 p.m.) and Syracuse's Ryan Nassib (Thursday, 7:30 p.m.) The full schedule, which includes some position players such as tacke Luke Joeckel, can be found here.

What I find interesting about these segments, mostly, is they show quarterbacks in their natural habitat, or what will be their natural habitat in the NFL: the tape room, with the whiteboard for a coach, or player, to draw up plays. And they show which quarterbacks can keep up with one of the best quarterback minds alive, Gruden.

The other day, I saw the Smith show, and it showed one of Gruden's favorite running plays, "96 Wanda," as he called it. When he told Smith about it, Smith recognized it and told Gruden at West Virginia, the play was called "Y Quick 16."

As Gruden explained it to me, a quarterback calling 96 Wanda could have three options on the play, and his choice would depend on what the defense shows. Smith understood, and he explained how, as with Wanda, Y Quick 16 tried to get the ball to his lightning-fast receiver, Tavon Austin, who comes sprinting in from the right to possibly get a handoff from Smith. The options, with Smith in the Pistol or the Shotgun: hand to Austin, turn and hand to the back on a counter play, or, as Smith says to Gruden: "I've got the option to throw my 'Z' a quick screen because the corner's so far off him. So much intricacy."

So much of what quarterbacks are asked to do these days in college football comes prescribed from the sidelines. All the pre-snap reads in so many programs are done by signal, and you wonder if quarterbacks, when they get to the NFL, can adjust to checks at the line and what the defense is throwing at the young passer. As Gruden said to me: "This guy knows a huge volume of plays, and he showed me he can execute the plays by reading what the defense is doing.''

That's what's great about these shows. The players can't hide. Gruden throws friendly fire at them, but it's fire. They have to respond intelligently, or he'll eat them up. Affectionately, but you'll be able to tell they've got some recognition weaknesses. I didn't see that in Smith.

I asked Gruden Saturday what he thought of the 2013 class of passers.

"Last year was a ridiculous year for quarterbacks,'' he said. "I mean, five starters right away. This year, it's like every one of these guys comes from broken quarterback families. Tyler Bray at Tennessee: recruited by Lane Kiffin, family moves to Knoxville, everybody's excited, and Kiffin goes to USC. Bray ends up playing for another coach, coach [Derek] Dooley, who didn't even recruit him.

"Tyler Wilson at Arkansas: Bobby Petrino has his situation, he leaves, and Wilson -- now, he was the all-SEC quarterback under Petrino two years ago -- has to play in a disastrous situation at Arkansas, and he's wildly inconsistent last year. Matt Barkley at USC: Held that team together through all kinds of turmoil. Geno Smith at West Virginia: They go from one conference to a totally different one, and now he's playing at Baylor and Texas instead of the Big East -- and that's a huge difference -- and you're having to learn about new teams with new defenses while you have this 20-hour rule, all you can spend is 20 hours a week practicing and studying football, and how do you do that? So it's like nobody had the smooth sailing of some of the guys last year did.''

I can't wait to see the Nassib and Manuel shows. When I talk to teams leading up to the April 25 first round, I keep hearing both Nassib and Manuel as late-first-round prospects. Nassib in particular, and certainly more than Manuel. Gruden seems fascinated by both. The other day, one personnel man for a team not interested in drafting a quarterback this year told me, "No way if you want Nassib you think there's a realistic chance he gets past 41.'' That's the overall slot of the Bills' second-round pick. The Bills are coached by Nassib's four-year college coach, Doug Marrone. NFL types think Marrone loves him some Nassib.

"If the Bills really like him, and they think he's the best guy on the board, why not take him at eight?'' Gruden said. Eight is where the Bills pick in round one. "Why take even the slightest risk he wouldn't be there later?"

Nassib met Smith, the presumptive top quarterback in the draft, three times. When they met for the first time, in Morgantown in 2010, West Virginia had won seven straight meetings in the series between the two schools. In the three meetings -- at Morgantown, Syracuse and Yankee Stadium (for the Pinstripe Bowl last December) -- Nassib won every one, by scores of 19-14, 49-23 and 38-14. Average margin of victory: Syracuse by 18.3.

In the three games, Smith out-statted Nassib, throwing for 295 more yards, but made more mistakes. Nassib's touchdown-to-interception differential was 7-1, Smith's 5-5.

I could tell by listening to Gruden he likes Nassib. A lot.

"Here's a guy who went 3-0 against Geno Smith,'' Gruden said. "Imagine this pressure: Syracuse is expected to be pretty good last year, and they start 0-2, and they've losing to Stony Brook at home at halftime the next week. He brings them back there to win. They beat Louisville. They win at Missouri. They really handle West Virginia in the bowl game. Those are some good wins, now. And they do it after changing their offense two weeks before the start of the regular season. I like the way he plays. I like the way he handled his own people booing him.''

As for Manuel: "He'd be a fun guy to coach. Very fun. Can call any play. He can run any play. Upbeat. Powerful vibe around him. People just like him. They want to be around him. Loves the game. I really, really like this kid.''

Regarding Nassib and Manuel: "You want Nassib and Manuel on your team. You want to be around Nassib and Manuel. If you like those guys, you're on the right track."

Smith, Barkley, Nassib and Manuel, in a total of two Grudenized hours Tuesday and Thursday. I know I'm making that investment.

Just got done watching the Manti Te'o QB LB camp episode. I think he still goes in the first round. I do think he'll slide to the end of it. I'm hoping Green Bay snags him.

Thanks for the heads up on this. An entertaining show that gives you a good sense of who these players are. I will never forget a cocky Brandon Weeden leaning back in his chair last year and saying he should be drafted because "I'm the kinda guy who's gonna win you some football games."

Oh, and Spider 2 Y Banana . . .

Weeden came off as an overconfident goof to me. Reminded me of a guy who has been told he's really really great and goes into a job interview with false bravado. I really enjoyed the Luck one. I watched the kid from Arkansas last night. He seemed kind of out of his depth a bit. Not sure where he'll get picked but I doubt it's before Saturday.

Couple of thoughts on the Geno Smith show:

1. Last year's QB class has completely effed anyone in this class' chance of being evaluated fairly. Who could possibly compete with RGIII's insane charisma, Luck's insane football IQ or Russell Wilson's semi-insanely inspiring "too short" underdog story? And how can you not think about those day-one starters while looking at this year's crop?

2. Wondering if Geno's been coached to sell himself as a QB who plays "above the neck" or "between the ears" in order to avoid all the stereotypes and expectations of the "athletic" QB. Or does he really see himself that way?

3. Gruden's general approach to Geno Smith seemed to be one of "I like you and respect you, but you has some learning and growing to do." Which under normal circumstances would be great. But following the 2012 class I hope he's not drafted by some team that tries to rush him onto the field. I don't know if Geno Smith is destined to be a stud, but with some patience it seems he has the chance to be a good NFL quarterback.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got about half way through the EJ Manuel. Seems like he's got a shot to really do something if he takes care of the ball a bit better.

Couple of thoughts on the Geno Smith show: 1. Last year's QB class has completely effed anyone in this class' chance of being evaluated fairly. Who could possibly compete with RGIII's insane charisma, Luck's insane football IQ or Russell Wilson's semi-insanely inspiring "too short" underdog story? And how can you not think about those day-one starters while looking at this year's crop? 2. Wondering if Geno's been coached to sell himself as a QB who plays "above the neck" or "between the ears" in order to avoid all the stereotypes and expectations of the "athletic" QB. Or does he really see himself that way? 3. Gruden's general approach to Geno Smith seemed to be one of "I like you and respect you, but you has some learning and growing to do." Which under normal circumstances would be great. But following the 2012 class I hope he's not drafted by some team that tries to rush him onto the field. I don't know if Geno Smith is destined to be a stud, but with some patience it seems he has the chance to be a good NFL quarterback.
I don't see a Luck or RG3, nobody does. But I think some of these guys could step in like Weeden did and be serviceable.

I got about half way through the EJ Manuel. Seems like he's got a shot to really do something if he takes care of the ball a bit better.
Yeah, although he does have some issues with reads at times and Gruden didn't really go after him for that at all. But he has some serious ability and I think showed that he understood coverages and playcalls well.

I don't see a Luck or RG3, nobody does. But I think some of these guys could step in like Weeden did and be serviceable.
My point was not that people see an RG3 or a Luck but that their expectations are higher because of last year's class. Gruden himself keeps reminding these prospects of Luck and RG3 and is generally treating them as if they could potentially be day-one starters as opposed to serving a three-year apprenticehip as a back-up.

Also, agreed on EJ Manuel. Compared to Barkley and Smith he seems like more of a natural leader and also has that "student of the game" air about him.

Finally, excited after reading Waldman's RSP I'm excited to see the Tyler Wilson episode. Not sure if it's aired or not but the DVR is primed and ready.

My point was not that people see an RG3 or a Luck but that their expectations are higher because of last year's class. Gruden himself keeps reminding these prospects of Luck and RG3 and is generally treating them as if they could potentially be day-one starters as opposed to serving a three-year apprenticehip as a back-up. Also, agreed on EJ Manuel. Compared to Barkley and Smith he seems like more of a natural leader and also has that "student of the game" air about him. Finally, excited after reading Waldman's RSP I'm excited to see the Tyler Wilson episode. Not sure if it's aired or not but the DVR is primed and ready.
Tyler Wilson = Rex Grossman - Cannon arm

Rex Grossman does not have a cannon arm. He has the mentality of a guy with a cannon arm, trusting himself to make throws he's not really capable of.

Rex Grossman does not have a cannon arm. He has the mentality of a guy with a cannon arm, trusting himself to make throws he's not really capable of.
Hmm from what I remember of him at Florida and in Chicago he did. *scratches head*
Maybe he lost some arm strength before coming to the Skins. But I'm pretty sure the book on him has always been that he had that "#### it I'm going deep" mentality without the arm strength to really pull it off. It's why he's a turnover-prone QB--not because he can't read a defense, but because he trusts himself to make throws into tight coverage that he's not capable of.

Users who are viewing this thread