What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Knowshon Moreno Injury thread (1 Viewer)

Almost wish he was sitting. I'd rather see him rest up for the playoffs, especially since I have Vereen on my bench. But it's such an important game for Denver. Guess it's the reverse of the usual situation, where we'd rather see the guy trotted out for garbage time even if it makes no sense from a football perspective.

Now that he's probable, I'll probably start him, although that 4:25 start is a little troubling.

Would rather he rested up this week but hey ho. I'll probably start Bernard over him this week

Last edited by a moderator:
What will Montee Balls impact be, is the Knowshown being probable a smoke screen for KC to worry about the run a little more?

Question for Moreno owners: Regardless of whether you're starting him, or have better options, how much are you lowering your expectations for him? I could imagine a number of scenarios where his production suffers (limited usage, re-injury, focus on the passing game, etc), and I have a great option waiting in reserve (Vereen), but I keep coming back to the fact that he's the No. 3 RB for a reason, and that I shouldn't outsmart myself.

Question for Moreno owners: Regardless of whether you're starting him, or have better options, how much are you lowering your expectations for him? I could imagine a number of scenarios where his production suffers (limited usage, re-injury, focus on the passing game, etc), and I have a great option waiting in reserve (Vereen), but I keep coming back to the fact that he's the No. 3 RB for a reason, and that I shouldn't outsmart myself.
I'd temper my expectations. At best I would think he is a little sluggish this week, at worst he could aggravate the ankle. He didn't exactly light KC up last time they met, either.

That said, I'm starting him.

I think if he plays then he plays well. He appears to me to be a mentally tough guy who is trying to be a leader on the team with his play.

The fact he is out there tells me all I need to know.

I think Denver will lean heavily on him at first; they don't want a Ball fumble to derail them. But if they get a healthy lead, it will be Ball, Ball, Ball.

How Could You Aggravate A Bruise? larger Bruise? Seems Like Just A Pain Tolerance Thing
Not a doctor, but my understanding is that it's not just the kind of bruise you get banging your shin on the coffee table, and there is damage to the outer layer of bone. So there is an increased risk of stress fracture.

2 cents... If I were you I'd start Vereen. KC's defense is good and they're at home. If PM can light it up in the air where they build a lead, Moreno will get pulled. Ball will get the goal-line carries, so I see a less than average week for Moreno. I have to pick between Moreno, Vereen and Riley Cooper in one league, and I think I'll go with Cooper. With Ridley in the doghouse along with Blount, I think Vereen will have a better than average day.

Actually considering Mendenhall over him. Just don't feel good about him. Maybe they limit his touches. Maybe KC d comes out very inspired after being embarrassed last week.

2 cents... If I were you I'd start Vereen. KC's defense is good and they're at home. If PM can light it up in the air where they build a lead, Moreno will get pulled. Ball will get the goal-line carries, so I see a less than average week for Moreno. I have to pick between Moreno, Vereen and Riley Cooper in one league, and I think I'll go with Cooper. With Ridley in the doghouse along with Blount, I think Vereen will have a better than average day.
Yeah, just swapped him in. I think his ceiling is a little lower than a healthy Moreno, but his floor is much higher (especially in my 0.5 PPR league). If my other option had been someone with their own risk issues (Mendy, PThomas, Spiller) I probably would have just rolled with Moreno, who I think will most likely be fine. But after Lacy already crapped the bed for me, I don't want to risk another single-digit performance from a RB.

Playoffs for me. I've got Chris Johnson In ppr over Moreno and Pierre Thomas. Never thought I'd think cj was the safer play. At this point I'd just like double digit points.

Well, I benched Moreno today for Gio and luckily it didn't harm me at all thanks to other players putting in performances.

I gotta say, I just love the way this guy runs with such intensity and commitment. His attitude is simply top notch.

Warrior. Shady McCoy may be more talented, but I'd take Moreno's heart and attitude any day of the week.

Sat him for Vereen. Moreno outscored him by 1 in my 0.5 PPR.

Not worried going forward. Didn't watch much of the game, but from what I saw he seemed healthy. Ball may steal a few touches, but Moreno is still the clear RB1.

I don't know if the bone bruise was affecting him, if he was worn out from his two huge weeks, or if it just wasn't his day, but Montee Ball was clearly the better runner all day against Kansas City. Those two huge gains on screen passes to convert long yardage were fantastic, but otherwise, Moreno struggled mightily to get anything going. Not saying I think Ball substantially infringes on Moreno's workload down the stretch (even with Moreno off and Ball on fire, Moreno still dominated the snaps), but I do think Ball might be making it a little easier for Denver to imagine a life without Moreno in 2014. I also think that Denver should have given Moreno more rest against KC when it was clear that Ball was having the better day. Moreno's worked hard in recent weeks, Denver needs to spell him when they can with the playoffs approaching.

I didn't count a single snap for Hillman, and Anderson was a game-day inactive. I've been saying for a while, but neither guy is worth rostering in redraft. They just aren't. Any hope for chaos was ultimately just wishful thinking. Going into next season, both will be back in play, but after two years of seeing Ronnie Hillman make a run for the job and come up short, I'm starting to feel like he is who he is. I've dropped him on any dynasty squads where I owned him, and am not really interested in adding him back. I do have Anderson stashed on the end of my bench in places, though. Even if Denver isn't using him this year, the fact that they kept him around shows that they like what he offers in the long term. Still, Ball has actually been looking pretty good in recent weeks, and I think he's got to be the front-runner for the job in 2014 (under the assumption that Moreno leaves in free agency).

Also, the idea that one back or another is going to be the "goal-line back" in Denver seems to be misplaced at this point. 12 games in, and Denver has never once demonstrated a propensity to give one back a disproportionate workload in specific situations. Sometimes Ball gets snaps at the goal line. Sometimes Moreno does. Denver rotates both to keep them both fresher, and will gladly keep either on the field for long stretches if they want to push the tempo and keep the defense from substituting. Moreno's TD was a perfect example. Moreno was in to start the drive, Ball rotated in shortly thereafter and stayed in while Denver drove down to the 3, Ball got the first two snaps from the 3 yard line, Moreno rotated in and got the 3rd snap (and the score). Both guys get used in short yardage, both guys get used in the red zone, both guys get used on 3rd downs. Neither seems to have a specific situation where they're seeing the field more often. Moreno is more likely to get more goal-line snaps than Ball in any given game, simply because Moreno sees more snaps than Ball in any given game, so the laws of probability work in his favor most of the time.

Adam Harstad said:
I don't know if the bone bruise was affecting him, if he was worn out from his two huge weeks, or if it just wasn't his day, but Montee Ball was clearly the better runner all day against Kansas City. Those two huge gains on screen passes to convert long yardage were fantastic, but otherwise, Moreno struggled mightily to get anything going. Not saying I think Ball substantially infringes on Moreno's workload down the stretch (even with Moreno off and Ball on fire, Moreno still dominated the snaps), but I do think Ball might be making it a little easier for Denver to imagine a life without Moreno in 2014. I also think that Denver should have given Moreno more rest against KC when it was clear that Ball was having the better day. Moreno's worked hard in recent weeks, Denver needs to spell him when they can with the playoffs approaching.

I didn't count a single snap for Hillman, and Anderson was a game-day inactive. I've been saying for a while, but neither guy is worth rostering in redraft. They just aren't. Any hope for chaos was ultimately just wishful thinking. Going into next season, both will be back in play, but after two years of seeing Ronnie Hillman make a run for the job and come up short, I'm starting to feel like he is who he is. I've dropped him on any dynasty squads where I owned him, and am not really interested in adding him back. I do have Anderson stashed on the end of my bench in places, though. Even if Denver isn't using him this year, the fact that they kept him around shows that they like what he offers in the long term. Still, Ball has actually been looking pretty good in recent weeks, and I think he's got to be the front-runner for the job in 2014 (under the assumption that Moreno leaves in free agency).

Also, the idea that one back or another is going to be the "goal-line back" in Denver seems to be misplaced at this point. 12 games in, and Denver has never once demonstrated a propensity to give one back a disproportionate workload in specific situations. Sometimes Ball gets snaps at the goal line. Sometimes Moreno does. Denver rotates both to keep them both fresher, and will gladly keep either on the field for long stretches if they want to push the tempo and keep the defense from substituting. Moreno's TD was a perfect example. Moreno was in to start the drive, Ball rotated in shortly thereafter and stayed in while Denver drove down to the 3, Ball got the first two snaps from the 3 yard line, Moreno rotated in and got the 3rd snap (and the score). Both guys get used in short yardage, both guys get used in the red zone, both guys get used on 3rd downs. Neither seems to have a specific situation where they're seeing the field more often. Moreno is more likely to get more goal-line snaps than Ball in any given game, simply because Moreno sees more snaps than Ball in any given game, so the laws of probability work in his favor most of the time.
I'd agree with this except the bolded. I feel like Moreno tends to drive them down the field and then get pulled for a breather just in time for Ball to be in down near the goal line. Just from watching the games it seems like it has played out that way a lot. Again, I agree they aren't putting Ball in as a goal line back, but that Moreno tends to take breathers down inside the 20 and that Ball seems to be a little more involved down there than other areas of the field. I would be interested to see the snap counts down inside the 20, 10, and 5 though in comparison to other areas of the field, cause I'm just going off my impression while watching the game and not actual data.

Adam Harstad said:

Disagree with some of this ... Ball is certainly capable but I don't think he looked better than Moreno.

Sure Moreno's Rushing numbers don't look great but he was hit in the backfield immediately on a few plays and lost big yards.

Ball had a couple of huge runs with huge holes and bad tackling but I thought he looked slow as hell once he got in the open field.

Moreno was again awesome in the receiving game ... the play that ended in the army crawl was fantastic.

Also big time heads up play when he missed a block in pass protection but had the sense to come back to Peyton for the dump off pass.

Moreno seems to be getting better all around and more confident every week ... actually becoming real fun watch.

I could have done without the river of tears pouring from his eyes.

I never saw anything like that ...It looked more like a medical condition then emotions

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread