What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Matt Jones Thread (1 Viewer)

Righetti

Footballguy
I just drafted him in our dynasty rookie draft and I am excited about him.My one concern is obvious, this guy played just a little WR in college and probably did not play much in HS l(et alone pee-wee's).. What I do like is that he has a very good football mind, is a physical speciment and has a lot of football experiencehis blurb bio on NFL.com

One of the most gifted athletes to ever come out of the college ranks, Jones is going to be a "pleasant problem" for an NFL team, as his stellar performance during Senior Bowl week has teams wondering what is his true pro position. Arkansas was faced with the same dilemma when Jones enrolled at the school. In addition to his outstanding size, strength and quickness, he has the ability to play equally well in any task he is given. While Jones thrilled Razorback football fans the last four years with his impressive play, he also played basketball for Arkansas. Continuing to impress at every turn, Jones also excelled in the classroom, earning Academic Honor Roll accolades during his time at Arkansas. Jones was an All-Arkansas and all-state quarterback at Northside (Fort Smith, Ark.) High School. He completed 62 of 137 passes for 830 yards and seven touchdowns as a senior and earned 939 yards and 13 touchdowns on 105 rushing attempts. He was ranked in the top five in the state in punt returns. Jones spent the first three years of his prep career at Van Buren (Ark.) High School. He split time as a junior between quarterback and wide receiver, earning 520 yards and five touchdowns on 22 catches. He was a finalist for McDonald's All-America honors in basketball. As a junior in basketball, he broke former Arkansas All-America basketball player Corliss Williamson's conference record for season scoring average (24.5 points per game). Despite sitting out the first three games of his freshman campaign, he turned in one of the most prolific first-year campaigns in Arkansas history in 2001. He split time with Zak Clark at quarterback, gaining 592 yards with five touchdowns on 74 carries (8.0 average) in eight regular-season games. He completed 12 of 27 passes (44.4 percent) for 275 yards and four touchdowns and also caught two passes for 21 yards. In 2002, he started every game, lining up at quarterback for 13 contests and vs. Auburn at wide receiver. Jones completed 122 of 234 passes for 1,592 yards (52.1 percent) and 16 touchdowns. He also carried 129 times for 614 yards (4.8 average) and five scores and also had a 25-yard reception. The following season, Jones set school season and career rushing records for quarterback, totaling 633 yards with eight touchdowns on 89 carries (7.1 average). He hit on 132 of 230 passes (57.4 percent) for 1,917 yards, 18 touchdowns and only seven interceptions while also catching a 12-yard pass. An All-America selection as an all-purpose back by The NFL Draft Report, Jones was also afforded All-Southeastern Conference second-team honors as a quarterback by the league's coaches. Despite the team's struggles, he completed 151 of 264 passes (57.2 percent) for a career-high 2,073 yards and 15 touchdowns. Jones rushed 83 times for 622 yards (7.5 average) and six scores. For his career, Jones completed 417 of 755 passes (55.2 percent) for 5,857 yards, 53 touchdowns and 30 interceptions. Only Clint Stoerner (57 scores, 7,422 yards, 1996-99) had more touchdown passes and more yards throwing in school history. His 55.2 pass completion percentage was good for fifth on the school's career-record list while his 417 completions of 755 attempts both rank third in Arkansas annals. Jones gained 8,392 yards in total offense and was responsible for 77 touchdowns, shattering the previous Razorbacks all-time records of 7,049 yards and 62 scores by Stoerner. His total offense yards per play average of 7.38 yards rank second in Southeastern Conference history, surpassed only by Florida's Danny Wuerffel (7.75, 1993-96). Jones carried the ball 382 times for 2,535 yards (6.6 average) and 24 touchdowns, topping the old SEC career record of 2,280 yards on the ground by John Bond of Mississippi State (1980-83). His 2,535 yards rank sixth among all players on Arkansas' all-time list and his 24 scores rank seventh.
he has looked good in the pre-season games including outleaping James Patrick for 34 yards against the Bucs and the 48 yard one-handed grab against the Falcons..so far so good.He was worth selecting in the first round by the Jaguars, although he may be somewhat of a project, I am excited about the tangible physcial attributes he brings to the table and there are examples of past QB's turned WR's who have had good success in the NFL (Anquan Boldin, Hines Ward, Drew Bennett)if ReShard Lee can get an official thread, Matt Jones most certainly should.

Last edited by a moderator:
THE OFFICIAL BANDWAGON IS:1-Righetti2-The Law-093-Avoiding Injuries4-Sup Yo5-Mr. Pink6--oz-7-cheda8-Mighty Mice9-Koya10-EBF11-Cannon Fodder12-Gordon Keith13-Winning is Everything14-KTM15-Wharf Rat16-Keys Myaths17-El-gato-grande18-Xtreme COmmish19-MBH_1420-The Man Who Met Andy Griffith21-JOE BRYANT22-WisWolvrns23-Mr. Brownstone24-madsklz25-Jerry Jones26-RustyFA27-OldMilwauke28-Kiddnets29-jeremyx1330-Perry Van Hook31-Patlesben32-gebz30633-supa mann34-Pooch35-jbg9536-Tockett2237-Ditkaless Wonder38-Ray39-Mnesvig40-Heckmanm41-rolyaTy42-cojobs43-jinerator44-El Gato Grande45-Realamerican8546-prymetyme2547-Guru48- JIMMY JOHNSON (ticket paid for by Guru)49- The Undercover Brotha (the train barber)50- Igbomb51- Laxiepoo52- Houndirish53- PGreenFan54- Groovs55- jwdcvw56- supa mann57-Chaos Commish58- Jpeeters59- WildEyedOne60- frostbite faulk fan (not sure if his ticket is valid)on a tricycle riding alongside: OtisRiding in a pink cadillac alongside: Gravity

when are you people going to learn?!?!?!

1) ***official*** threads always have 3 ***'s before and after the word "official" (exp: too numerous to name)

2) any threads pimping a player of somewhat debateable abilities must always have a heart in the title (exp: reshard lee thread)

thank you for your time

edit to add - i'm with you righetti!

***offical*** member of the matt jones bandwagon

Last edited:

1) ***official*** threads always have 3 ***'s before and after the word "official" (exp: too numerous to name)

2) any threads pimping a player of somewhat debateable abilities must always have a heart in the title (exp: reshard lee thread)

thank you for your time

edited title for accuracy

Drafted him in the inagural dynastitty and looking forward to watching him develop as a player.

I think it may take a year to get acquaintedwith the receiver position, haven't seen any highlights from his pre-season game..but this could be a fun year to sit on him.. I take one of these guys every year in my dynasty league, a fun receiver to follow because when he makes plays it can be very entertaining (Brandon "the Matrix" Lloyd) was my guy last year, i kept Lloyd and actually expect nice things out of him.

I actually think Jones' best years are at the LEAST one, and probably 3+ years away. WRs often blossem in their 3rd, 4th or even 5th year and a delay in production is expected with his lack of experience at the position. However, if he can simply dominate the game physically, who knows what can happen.

thank you for your time

:no: While I like the way you stole my :heart: ™ for a player-love thread, you still did not correctly update the thread title with the correct number of asterisks...

thank you for your time

:no: While I like the way you stole my :heart: ™ for a player-love thread, you still did not correctly update the thread title with the correct number of asterisks...
:confused: ***the official matt jones thread***

three in front, three behind

thank you for your time

I was about to argue with your use of "ability", but then I realized this is exactly right. It's his ability to play WR in the NFL that is debateable, his innate talent isn't.BTW: I'm riding this train in first class.

thank you for your time

I was about to argue with your use of "ability", but then I realized this is exactly right. It's his ability to play WR in the NFL that is debateable, his innate talent isn't.BTW: I'm riding this train in first class.
hit it on the head oz. most agree on his athletic ability, but can he play wide receiver in the NFL? i happen to believe he can and will even be a decent goal-line WR THIS season

echoing a couple of points:1) will be at least a year, probably 2 before he makes a big impact2) the athletic raw materials that are there to work with are mind-boggling. 2)'s why a guy who hadnt even lined up at WR until the senior bowl went in the first. If the risk that a transition to a new position wouldn't take wasn't there, jones might have been a top 5 pick, that's how athletically superior he is.i'm excited to see what his development brings, i'm even more excited to see what happens when a guy who could be even MORE dominant, Vince Young, the UTexas QB, gets considered for this switch.

I'm only in two leagues, drafting this Friday and Sunday. I'll be eyeing him late, but I won't take him so early that I put myself in a position to rely on production from him (sort of the way Jacksonville did...) For pure redraft or short term keeper leagues, I think he's a great WR5. He's not just athletically gifted, he's also a very fiery competitor. I'd be very excited about him for dynasty purposes.

thank you for your time

:confused: ***the official matt jones thread***

three in front, three behind
My bad, I was at working doing two things at once.It is not the number of asterisks, but the placement, that is incorrect.

GL GB

I'm not going to go back and edit my rookie rankings, but I consider Jones a serious option as the second WR on the board. I'd even have to consider him over Braylon Edwards. Note: this isn't based off of one catch. I said the same thing a week or two ago.

Alright we gotRighettiThe Law-09Avoiding InjuriesSup YoMr. Pink-oz-chedaMighty MiceKoyaEBFCannon Fodderplenty of room

Alright we got

Righetti

The Law-09

Avoiding Injuries

Sup Yo

Mr. Pink

-oz-

cheda

Mighty Mice

Koya

EBF

Cannon Fodder

plenty of room
Don't forget Joe Theisman, until he makes a bad play, then he's not worth a spot on the roster

Been on since my April dyntasy draft where I moved up to snag him.One of the reasons being the WR coach is the guy from Tenn. who coached Bennent from QB to WR... so if he can do the same with Jones, he should rock.Even this year I see him having some FF worth, figuring aka Randy Moss rookie season type games, with the go long and catch the jump ball. Not to mention great size for the goalline. Heck, I'm so far along, I figure he will be throwing for a TD at some point this season! :-)

Normally whenever anyone gets excited about the preseason, I like to casually remind them that it's the preseason (you know, the time of the year where Ron Dayne averages 8 yards a carry?)In Jones' case, it's a different matter, since we're just interested in seeing if he can actually play the position. From what I've seen so far, he can. I'm still not getting on the bandwagon until he has at least one regular season catch, though.

Normally whenever anyone gets excited about the preseason, I like to casually remind them that it's the preseason (you know, the time of the year where Ron Dayne averages 8 yards a carry?)

In Jones' case, it's a different matter, since we're just interested in seeing if he can actually play the position. From what I've seen so far, he can. I'm still not getting on the bandwagon until he has at least one regular season catch, though.
tickets will be more expensive in a few weeks.. buy now if you want on

I drafted him in the 2nd round of a keeper league this year. It might seem high but I also have TO, Chad Johnson, Eric Moulds, and Muhammed. I look forward to watching him become a stud in the years to come.I want in the club!!!!!

Normally whenever anyone gets excited about the preseason, I like to casually remind them that it's the preseason (you know, the time of the year where Ron Dayne averages 8 yards a carry?)

In Jones' case, it's a different matter, since we're just interested in seeing if he can actually play the position. From what I've seen so far, he can. I'm still not getting on the bandwagon until he has at least one regular season catch, though.
I live an hour and a half from Jacksonville, and I have to tell you...Tickets for anything relating to the Jacksonville Jaguars will always be neither scarce nor expensive.

Come on. It's the freaking preseason. Remember how good Darrius Watts was last preseason? And Kelvin Kight before him? And now Watts is the 5th stringer in Denver and Kight, when last I heard, was like the 5th stringer in Arizona (and is now in all likelihood out of football). And Ron Dayne. Don't get me started on Ron Dayne. routinely gets 8+ yards per carry in the preseason. What about Brian Griese, the king of the preseason set up, regular season letdown. What about Matt Schaub? Remember how everyone was talking about how the Falcons would be just fine with him at the helm? Or Rohan Davey tearing up NFL Europe? Now he's about to get a ticket out of town in New England. Last preseason, Denver's offense couldn't even move the ball. It was a constant string of 3-and-outs, and Denver columnists were predicting they'd be in the bottom half of the league on offense, and then they go out and finish as the 5th ranked offense in the NFL, yardage-wise, with a QB passing for 4000 yards, two different 1000 yard receivers, and a 1000 yard rusher. Do you know who frequently had one of the best preseason records in the league in the 90s? The Cincinatti Bengals. THE CINCINATTI BENGALS.

Compare this to legitimate WR breakouts Boldin and Clayton. How much noise did THEY make in the preseason? If they made any, I certainly don't remember hearing it.

I'm not saying that valuable information can't be gleaned. In Jones' case, we can learn that he is capable of performing at an NFL level. We still have no idea if he will or not. It's the freaking preseason. I'm going to wait until he catches at least one pass that counts.

I live an hour and a half from Jacksonville, and I have to tell you...

Tickets for anything relating to the Jacksonville Jaguars will always be neither scarce nor expensive.
the tickets in question would be for the

***OFFICIAL MATT JONES BANDWAGON***

who wants to go see the Jags play...

Users who are viewing this thread