What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official METAVERSE Thread*** Latest: A real life wedding at Taco Bell in the Metaverse (1 Viewer)

Nathan R. Jessep

Footballguy
Rather than posting general metaverse news and links of interest in the NFT or crypto threads, I thought I'd just start an all-things-metaverse thread, so if you've got news, recommendations, etc. let's hear them! I, for one, haven't experienced the metaverse yet, but I'm very intrigued by the concept and the more I read, the more I'm convinced this is going to become something huge. Almost every one of the largest corporations you know of (products and services, as well as investment organizations) have invested pretty large amounts of money to be in on the metaverse. It's going to be interesting to watch how it plays out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zuckerberg says Meta and Apple are in ‘very deep, philosophical competition’ to build the metaverse

The Meta CEO told employees earlier this month that they were competing with Apple to determine “what direction the internet should go in,” according to a recording of his comments during an internal all-hands meeting obtained by The Verge. He said that Meta would position itself as the more open, cheaper alternative to Apple, which is expected to announce its first AR headset as soon as later this year.

“This is a competition of philosophies and ideas, where they believe that by doing everything themselves and tightly integrating that they build a better consumer experience,” Zuckerberg said of the brooding rivalry. “And we believe that there is a lot to be done in specialization across different companies, and [that] will allow a much larger ecosystem to exist.”

Since rebranding Facebook’s company name to Meta, Zuckerberg has been pushing for the concept of interoperability for the metaverse, or what he sees as the next major chapter of computing after mobile phones. Meta recently helped stand up the Metaverse Open Standards Group with Microsoft, Epic Games, and others. The idea is to spur the creation of open protocols that will let people easily move through future immersive, 3D worlds with their virtual goods.

Apple is absent from the group, which Zuckerberg called out as not surprising in his comments to employees. He explained how Apple’s approach of building hardware and software it tightly controls had worked well with the iPhone, but that for the metaverse, “it’s not really clear upfront whether an open or closed ecosystem is going to be better.”

Last edited:
Apple Shows AR/VR Headset to Board in Sign of Progress on Key Project

• AR/VR device will be its first major new product since watch
  • The headset combines virtual and augmented reality features
The headset features advanced processors -- on par with those in Apple’s latest Macs -- as well as ultra-high-resolution screens. Though the first model will offer both VR and AR, the company is also working on stand-alone AR glasses, codenamed N421, for release later this decade. Unlike VR, augmented reality overlays digital information and images on top of the real world.

The current device, codenamed N301, has been in development since around 2015. Mike Rockwell, a company vice president, has spearheaded the project, which is also overseen by Dan Riccio, Apple’s former head of hardware engineering. The company has about 2,000 employees working on the device as part of a team known as the Technology Development Group, or TDG. 

I saw this movie on the guide last night and put it on for a few minutes. 

You can be who you’ve always wanted to be. #WeMetInVR, the first feature-length documentary filmed entirely in virtual reality, tells stories of love, loss, and unexpected connection within the world of VR. The @HBO original documentary premieres July 27 on HBO Max.

When I turned it on it was some sort of metaverse strip club scene.  Then some dude with horns and a tail was playing pool with janky video (the "cue" was all over the place and herky-jerky) while talking to a "girl".  I was confused.  I turned it off.

I have serious doubts about Meta's ability to pull this off.  Facebook wasn't much of an innovator since very early on; their biggest successes have come through acquisition (and selling advertising).  UI has never been one of the strengths to put it mildly.

Their reputation and top-down corporate culture hurts them when it comes to attracting the best and the brightest to work there, especially when their plummeting share price devalues employee stock options.

Maybe Zuck can leverage Oculus' dominant headset market share and have Meta become the gatekeeper to the metaverse.  But it's still early days and maintaining the lead on hardware is going to be a challenge for a company without a lot of manufacturing experience.

Web 3.0 and Metaverse are both crap marketing terms that will not amount to anything.

When you hear either of those terms you can immedietly tune out.

Web 3.0 and Metaverse are both crap marketing terms that will not amount to anything.

so you contend Google, Microsoft and many other huge and successful corporations who have already sunk billions into this technology are....wrong? That's not even mentioning tech companies like NVidia, etc.

I think many see this as another .com bubble like the early ages of the internet. IMHO, this ain't that. I do agree it's in its infancy, and the course of where it's going will weave as new technologies evolve, but it's coming, like it or not.

so you contend Google, Microsoft and many other huge and successful corporations who have already sunk billions into this technology are....wrong? That's not even mentioning tech companies like NVidia, etc.

I think many see this as another .com bubble like the early ages of the internet. IMHO, this ain't that. I do agree it's in its infancy, and the course of where it's going will weave as new technologies evolve, but it's coming, like it or not.

Yes, that is my argument. Google in particular is known for throwing tons of money at projects that go nowhere, but Microsoft has their fair share of them as well.

I know the corporations want to sell us something, but there is no benefit to us, the consumer.

Last edited:
Here is my favorite metaverse project, the vatican's NFT gallery.

The director of Humanity 2.0 (an NGO focused on identifying and removing impediments to human flourishing through the use of technology and human ingenuity) is Father Philip Larrey , author of several books on artificial intelligence, who has helped the Vatican prepare for Web 3.0 . In a press release , the priest explained the goal of the exhibition: “We look forward to working with Sensorium to explore ways to democratize art, making it more available to people around the world, regardless of their socioeconomic and geographic limitations. Partnering with Sensorium takes this goal one step further and equips us with the latest technology solutions.”

The Vatican City is visited by more than 6 million people each year. With a collection of more than 800 pieces by 250 artists, the Vatican Museums are among the most important in the world. In its collection there are works by Pablo Picasso, Marc Chagall, Salvador Dalí, Michelangelo, Leonardo Da Vinci Raphael and Vincent Van Gogh, among many others. Do not forget that there is also the Basilica of San Pedro and the Sistine Chapel.

The exhibition will be part of the Sensorium Galaxy metaverse (for now in beta version) and will allow users to visit the museum's various collections through immersive augmented reality devices, a computer screen or a mobile phone application that will allow to see live broadcasts and create NPC's (non-player characters) to communicate with them.

The virtual Vatican exhibition will incorporate the use of NFT's, although it is not clear if these will be available for sale. The opening date of the exhibition has not yet been announced.

Yes, that is my argument. Google in particular is known for throwing tons of money at projects that go nowhere, but Microsoft has their fair share of them as well.

I know the corporations want to sell us something, but there is no benefit to us, the consumer.
I get that too, but this is more than just Google and MS. It's a large, and growing, list of huge corporations from all industries. Nike, etc. This is not just about JPG monkey NFTs.

I can think of plenty of benefits to consumers. Events jump to the top of the list for me. Private concerts, where your tickets are NFTs, so only the NFT owners can attend the concerts. Some big name artists are already releasing albums as NFTs. That is all going to end up being in the metaverse. Metaverse music streaming services. "Real estate" in metaverse worlds. As mentioned, big companies are investing in this stuff. Not for today, but for where they think it's going. Not to say that the traditional methods are going away (they may eventually), but this technology is available now and usage is already on the increase.

I get that too, but this is more than just Google and MS. It's a large, and growing, list of huge corporations from all industries. Nike, etc. This is not just about JPG monkey NFTs.

I work for big oil as an application manager/software engineer. I had to do a feasiblity study on the blockchain because management wanted to know if we should use blockchain to communicate with our customers.

There were other divisions in our company that made it further than me, because I shot that crap down immediately.

Management is morons and they do not want to miss out on the next big thing so they throw money at useless projects. The metaverse is one of them.

I can think of plenty of benefits to consumers. Events jump to the top of the list for me. Private concerts, where your tickets are NFTs, so only the NFT owners can attend the concerts. Some big name artists are already releasing albums as NFTs. That is all going to end up being in the metaverse. Metaverse music streaming services. "Real estate" in metaverse worlds. As mentioned, big companies are investing in this stuff. Not for today, but for where they think it's going. Not to say that the traditional methods are going away (they may eventually), but this technology is available now and usage is already on the increase.

Or they could sell tickets and get the name of the person and not allow reselling. This bipasses NFT and achieves the same goal.

None of the below provides any benefit to the consumers, i know people are selling it, but only the suckers are buying it.

Some big name artists are already releasing albums as NFTs. That is all going to end up being in the metaverse. Metaverse music streaming services. "Real estate" in metaverse worlds

Or they could sell tickets and get the name of the person and not allow reselling. This bipasses NFT and achieves the same goal.

None of the below provides any benefit to the consumers, i know people are selling it, but only the suckers are buying it.

Some big name artists are already releasing albums as NFTs. That is all going to end up being in the metaverse. Metaverse music streaming services. "Real estate" in metaverse worlds
Of course they could. They could set up telephone call centers to take down the names and write it all down on a legal pad with a #2 pencil. :lol: OR they could adapt a technology that makes everything traceable and verifiable. That was just one example I thought of, but the larger point being.... this is about the metaverse. Not replacing traditional medium. You said there was no benefit. There are most definitely benefits. We could bounce scenarios off each other all day long, but I just personally think it's a tad naïve to think "this will never work" as early as this is in the space, especially when there are already some real world applications in place. You could be absolutely right, all these companies may be jumping on to a ship destined to sink. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that :wink:

The real reason the metaverse will fail is because of how people want to use the internet. Right now I am waiting for a meeting to start in 15 minutes, but I should be doing UI work for my application, but I am procrastinating because I hate UI work. Instead I am browsing the internet.

Lets say the metaverse is the "main" internet. Would I have to put on my headset or navigate around the metaverse to find what i wanted to find on the internet? Or if i am walking down the street wanting some quick information, or if i am on my lunch break. Why would I want to use the metaverse at any of these locations.

The Metaverse would then be limited to niche activities in the nighttime when i am at home, like a video game.

Yes companies are dumping money into it now, but software maintenance is just as big of factor as initial development and in 5-10 years when Nike realizes that its niche metaverse development and maintenance costs only reach a tiny fraction of the users as a more traditional website then management will kill the project.

The real reason the metaverse will fail is because of how people want to use the internet. Right now I am waiting for a meeting to start in 15 minutes, but I should be doing UI work for my application, but I am procrastinating because I hate UI work. Instead I am browsing the internet.
You are actually giving a reason why it will succeed here.

You are entitled to your opinion but highly doubt that web3 and the metaverse will fail. I'm not going to try and change your mind because you seem pretty steadfast in your opinion

For the metaverse to be truly transformative, there will need to be big advances in the human-computer interface. VR goggles can provide immersive visuals today but controllers, motion sensors and keyboards are limiting factors for recreating large and fine motor skills. It's the same issue videogames have been trying to overcome for decades. Graphics have improved to become almost lifelike but the way avatars act in motion still disturbs the illusion.

Gamers will be able to tolerate some awkwardness but actions will have to become almost frictionless for the general population to adapt in a big way. Avatars getting stuck against walls or conversing while face the wrong direction will be frustrating for many.

You are entitled to your opinion but highly doubt that web3 and the metaverse will fail. I'm not going to try and change your mind because you seem pretty steadfast in your opinion

I think the metaverse will succeed to an extent but I'm much more skeptical of web3. I realize the current use case of schlepping tokens and payments around is still early days but I don't see how web3 can overcome the fact that massively decentralized software is inherently inefficient. Even if it's possible that web3 can scale to infinity, there will always be an issue with optimizatoin. Most web3 applications I've heard of can be done just as well and cheaper in a more centralized manner.

I think the metaverse will succeed to an extent but I'm much more skeptical of web3. I realize the current use case of schlepping tokens and payments around is still early days but I don't see how web3 can overcome the fact that massively decentralized software is inherently inefficient. Even if it's possible that web3 can scale to infinity, there will always be an issue with optimizatoin. Most web3 applications I've heard of can be done just as well and cheaper in a more centralized manner.
This is one reason when looking at my investments to dink around with, I've been looking mostly at the scaling solution projects that solve or greatly help the inefficiency problem. There are some really good ones that I think will be game changers in this whole thing.

All I know is our church started a "Metaverse campus" (we have 4 physical locations and an "Online campus" as well).

It is the first time I've seen something new in a common everyday setting where I was completely lost/clueless and felt the world has finally passed me by. 90%+ of the congregation was saying "what's the metaverse"? Haven't heard much about it since it launched in March.

Sometimes I feel sad that I likely won’t be around to see certain technological leaps, like quantum computing, a cure for cancer or whatever form of propulsion those UFOs have in the videos. But I think the metaverse is so dumb. It’s probably going to be even worse for young men than video games & porn too. But that’s probably the marijuana talking.

Facebook published a screenshot of their metaverse......

Perhaps the master plan here is to set expectations so low with dead-eyed virtual selfies that when Meta does actually show something substantial from that $10 billion investment, mediocrity looks like a massive improvement. I am not convinced this is a good plan.

over TEN MILLION followers on TikTok
:jawdrop:
link to Vid: https://youtu.be/LTCl1Ge8yEo?t=86 (Meka's verse starts at 1:28)
Probably a bad decision to have “him” throwing around the n word.
I agree, but then again, that is the culture of 99% of Hip Hop music in the past and still today, so just catering to the consumers there, IMO.

Joe Rogan has a podcast with Mark Zuckerberg today. I’m 15 minutes in and and it’s quite apparent to me that Mark Zuckerberg doesn’t know jack **** about technology other than what others have told him.

welp, that didn't last long, FN Meka is now a free agent :lol:

breaking: Capitol Records “has severed ties” with the A.I. rapper FN Meka, “effective immediately,” following days of backlash over the caricature the activist group @industryblkout called for a formal public apology about two hours ago

welp, that didn't last long, FN Meka is now a free agent :lol:

breaking: Capitol Records “has severed ties” with the A.I. rapper FN Meka, “effective immediately,” following days of backlash over the caricature the activist group @industryblkout called for a formal public apology about two hours ago

Sometimes a story is so weird, scary and hilarious all at once that words fail when you’re trying to formulate a take.

A computer generated rapper is on his way to superstardom until he gets canceled by the woke mob. Cool cool.

Give him a reality show. :shrug:

I mean, all of this technology to get us to the point where we are back watching cartoons.
:lol: That was my first take as well when I first started reading about all this. Check that link I just posted though. Look at the graphic following the first few paragraphs. There's MUCH bigger plans for the metaverse.

I mean, all of this technology to get us to the point where we are back watching cartoons.
:lol: That was my first take as well when I first started reading about all this. Check that link I just posted though. Look at the graphic following the first few paragraphs. There's MUCH bigger plans for the metaverse.
Yeah, that's a good article. It's just hard for me to wrap my brain around all of it. And I think I've come to the conclusion it's one of those things I just need to not try and understand. I'm more comfortable in the world of:

Sports
Yard work
Running
Beer
Fishing

Boston Consulting Group advises industry giants on how they see the landscape shifting. They're telling them it's shifting towards the metaverse. Pretty thorough explanation here:

Most of that isn’t what people think of when you say Metaverse though.

I am officially old now. This stuff is so dumb.

It is not just old people, I am young, i work in tech and think the metaverse is going to crash and burn spectacularly and I am not the only one.

Many people in the tech industry are very anti-metaverse.

Users who are viewing this thread