What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Nick Vannett Thread (1 Viewer)

Mister CIA

Footballguy
Tea Leaves:

• Drafted top 100  = talent
  • Roster vacancy = opportunity
  • Looks proto-typish
  • 3rd year on roster (with The Russell)
  • Ed Dickson body of work = who?
  • Preseason game 1 TD count = 1
Current dynasty value is dirt cheap, unless you're in my league.

I've heard this guy's name, and that's about it  With Baldwin's injury status, and the overall depth of their WR corps, he is worth researching for sure.  I'll get right on that!

TE Nick Vannett is pain-free after battling a herniated disk in his low back during his first two seasons. He said Monday, Aug. 13, that this is the best he has felt in years, and that's good news since he is listed as the No. 1 tight end on the team's depth chart. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is using the tight end in its traditional role, so he'll do plenty of run blocking and pass catching. 'In the pass game, you know, there are a lot of plays where we are the No. 1 read. They are really trusting us to make big play, in the pass game, in the run game, pass protection,' Vannett said.

Very small sample size, but near 80% catch rate.  His competition is currently an injured Ed Dickson (Pete Carroll said on August 14 'it's still a bit' before Dickson will be back on the practice field).  His other main competition is rookie Will Dissly, a 4th round pick.  We all know there is a steep learning curve to the TE position in the NFL.

Conclusion - this dude meets every criteria for a great sleeper pick.  SEA must like him too, as he has remained with them for 2 yrs as an injured youngster.  I will certainly be keeping an eye out for him.

I drafted him in a deep league as a rookie and since dropped him, but he’s a versatile guy. Good size, can block, can catch, not a matchup monster but a guy who can go out and get 6 yards on a 3rd and 5. Glad to see him get a chance but I don’t see him commanding a large target share. 

I drafted him in a deep league as a rookie and since dropped him, but he’s a versatile guy. Good size, can block, can catch, not a matchup monster but a guy who can go out and get 6 yards on a 3rd and 5. Glad to see him get a chance but I don’t see him commanding a large target share
That's the thing - he doesn't have to command it - with their options in SEA, he just may be the beneficiary of the system in place.  Jimmy Graham and Luke Wilson combined for 118 targets in 2017, and 116 targets in 2016, but they are both gone.  Jimmy had 96 targets in 2017, and 95 targets in 2016.  There are TE targets to be had in SEA; the question is who will get them?  Ed Dickson is currently ailing, and the next guy is a rookie, drafted at 4.20.  Vannett himself was a 3rd round pick in 2016, and SEA has chosen to keep him rostered for 2 yrs, in less than optimum health.  They could've cut him as they had both Graham and Wilson the last 2 yrs, but they didn't.  It's now 2018, and he claims to be 100% for the first time.  If he is truly healthy for the first time, it will show in the next few preseason games, and during practices.  He's only 25 yrs old, and his nickname is Baby Gronk!  That's gotta count for something, doesn't it?

Dirt cheap.

I own him in a league where I need to clear a few roster spots, and may have to end up cutting him.  I offered him and the 3.2 for the 3.1, and him and the 3.6 for the 3.3 and was rejected on both.  One of those teams had Marcedes Lewis as the only TE on their roster, the other has Jesse James, Dickson, and Hunter Henry.

Granted this was before he scored in the preseason game, but I still dont think either of those guys woudl make the deal based on one TD in a preseason game.

Got him off the waiver wire in several leagues.  If he does well, great.  If he doesn't, wash, rinse and repeat. 

In Schottenheimer's 9 years as a playcaller a TE has either lead the team or finished a close 2nd in target share 5 times. In 2009 Dustin Keller was 2nd behind Cotchery with a 21.3% target share. In 2010 Keller was the 1B with a 19.5% share (Braylon Edwards had 19.7%). In 2011 Keller lead the team with a 21.4% share. In 2013 Jared Cook lead his team with 17% and again in 2014 with 19.2%.

Baldwin is not going to be 100% on game day and behind him there's no established pass catcher on the roster. Wilson and Vannett have shown some chemistry during the preseason. A perfect storm is forming. 

In Schottenheimer's 9 years as a playcaller a TE has either lead the team or finished a close 2nd in target share 5 times. In 2009 Dustin Keller was 2nd behind Cotchery with a 21.3% target share. In 2010 Keller was the 1B with a 19.5% share (Braylon Edwards had 19.7%). In 2011 Keller lead the team with a 21.4% share. In 2013 Jared Cook lead his team with 17% and again in 2014 with 19.2%.

Baldwin is not going to be 100% on game day and behind him there's no established pass catcher on the roster. Wilson and Vannett have shown some chemistry during the preseason. A perfect storm is forming. 
Do you like him in redraft? I waited way to long for TE and got stuck with the ASJ/Howard tier. Looking for a wild card and your stats are very interesting.

Do you like him in redraft? I waited way to long for TE and got stuck with the ASJ/Howard tier. Looking for a wild card and your stats are very interesting.
If you're stuck with ASJ/Howard then yes. The truth is that the disparity between back-end TE1s and the full spectrum of TE2s is usually pretty marginal. Either you have one of the guys that is giving you a pretty clear positional advantage or it's meh. And Vannett has a clear path to opportunity which neither ASJ (Cole, Westbrook, Moncrief, Chark) or Howard (Evans, Godwin, Humphries, DJax, Brate) have. I'd argue that having a very clear path to opportunity is more important for TEs in fantasy then RBs and WRs since it's such a rare occurrence. If Vannett hypothetically sniffed the type of share that Keller and Cook averaged (19.7%), it would have been good for 4th best behind Doyle, Kelce and Walker last year. If it were to happen it would be very difficult for him to not be a TE1.

I'm not specifically targeting him in normal redraft leagues although I can see him becoming a ww pick-up at some point but in leagues where there's a premium on TEs I'm all over him. 

If you're stuck with ASJ/Howard then yes. The truth is that the disparity between back-end TE1s and the full spectrum of TE2s is usually pretty marginal. Either you have one of the guys that is giving you a pretty clear positional advantage or it's meh. And Vannett has a clear path to opportunity which neither ASJ (Cole, Westbrook, Moncrief, Chark) or Howard (Evans, Godwin, Humphries, DJax, Brate) have. I'd argue that having a very clear path to opportunity is more important for TEs in fantasy then RBs and WRs since it's such a rare occurrence. If Vannett hypothetically sniffed the type of share that Keller and Cook averaged (19.7%), it would have been good for 4th best behind Doyle, Kelce and Walker last year. If it were to happen it would be very difficult for him to not be a TE1.

I'm not specifically targeting him in normal redraft leagues although I can see him becoming a ww pick-up at some point but in leagues where there's a premium on TEs I'm all over him. 
love this info.   Besides he has a cool name, & if he does well we have to come up with a nickname.

The Vannometor is pretty lame, but that's all I got right now.

OK, Seattle homers, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel on TEs for a bye-week fill-in, so give me the 411 on this guy. Does he have the TE1 job with Dissly's injury, or is Dickson still lurking? Is he any good? Can he even produce in that offense (Dissly had basically done nothing since that one big play in Week 1)?

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Seahawks are trading TE Nick Vannett to the Steelers in exchange for a 2020 fifth-round pick.

This trade signals two things. Will Dissly's emergence in Seattle is somewhat real, and Vance McDonald's shoulder injury is potentially serious. Vannett will be a complementary piece in Pittsburgh and very likely won't be on the fantasy radar.

RELATED: 

Vance McDonald

, Will Dissly

, Seattle Seahawks

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 24, 2019, 8:50 PM ET

NFL Media's Ian Rapoport reports Vance McDonald has a shoulder sprain and "won’t have an extended absence."

McDonald is currently in a sling and the Steelers just traded for a tight end in Nick Vannett, so the Steelers' actions contradict Rapoport's report. The Steelers haven't announced a timetable for McDonald's return, but we'd bet on McDonald missing games. More details should emerge within the week. When fully healthy, McDonald is on the TE1/2 borderline.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 24, 2019, 9:10 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread