What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA SOONERS FOOTBALL - SEC 12 - 0 *** (2 Viewers)

FSu hasn't beat a top ten opponent since 1996? Really?

FSU fans down here are very polite, I like it. Gonna be an epic game but I think it comes down to the OU secondary playing aggressive once OU gets the lead. I don't think this is gonna be a real high scoring game, I think both defenses are able to hold this game in the 20s and OU pulls away late. :banned:

BOOMER!!!!

Game thoughts:

What I liked:

[*]The play of the secondary. Harris had a career game, Fleming and Nelson did a good job of keeping things in front of them except for the long pass and Jefferson made a few key plays working as the SLB. I like what is essentially a nickle with Jefferson in the Big 12, but in a physical game like this I'm not sure this works best.

[*]Play calling on first and last two possessions

[*]Whaley is :moneybag: This guy wants it so bad, and he is a football player. Who doesn't love players like this? Clay also looked good, can't wait to get Williams into this mix.

[*]King, Alexander, Ronnell and McGee played a very physical game and showed this team isn't too small up front. Both lines were tremendous as FSU is big and strong like an SEC team but the Sooners matched them blow for blow

[*]Kenny Stills with a couple of big catches, he adjusts so well to the ball in the air.

[*]The defense in general was superb. Take out the 56 yard TD on a 3rd and 28 :wall: and they almost played perfectly. They kept Manuel in front of them and controlled the pace IMO. Wort is so hit or miss, he makes some glaring mistakes then makes the play on the interception and so many others that makes you forget his errors. I like that they let him gamble though, he's the right guy to roll the dice with.

[*]I liked they won, on the road...against what is a very good football team.

What I didn't like:

[*]The playcalling in general was poor. Those two possessions at the end of the half inside the FSU ten reminded me of the Florida game. Spread them out and throw it, that is what you do best. I loved them coming out and running right at FSU but after that they really needed to get back to Sooner offense and running it into the line three times stinks. I can no longer blame Kevin Wilson so I'm blaming Stoops for that, terrible.

[*]Landry Jones: Ok, so he was great on the go ahead drive but the combination of weird playcalling and him not adjusting very well to the FSU shifts makes me nervous. I know we have a lot of fans who said that Landry proved he could do it, but let's face it...he stunk a lot in this game.

Some work needs to be done and they have Mizzou and Texas the next two weeks so there is no rest for the weary. Overall though you have to love going into Tallahassee and playing pretty well. :banned:

Game thoughts:

What I liked:

[*]The play of the secondary. Harris had a career game, Fleming and Nelson did a good job of keeping things in front of them except for the long pass and Jefferson made a few key plays working as the SLB. I like what is essentially a nickle with Jefferson in the Big 12, but in a physical game like this I'm not sure this works best.

Some work needs to be done and they have Mizzou and Texas the next two weeks so there is no rest for the weary. Overall though you have to love going into Tallahassee and playing pretty well. :banned:
+1 on the secondary, they were awesome. Shark week every day. Wort was awesome as well, his best game as a Sooner in my opinion. It was nice to win a big game on defense. Glad to see the FSU wideout who got knocked out was okay, that was scary for a second there. Easy to forget but I think Ball St. is sandwiched between the two big conference games, so that is nice. Texas looked awesome on Saturday, they are a top ten team in my opinion. Gilbert really was just that bad I think.

Game thoughts:

What I liked:

+1 on the secondary, they were awesome. Shark week every day. Wort was awesome as well, his best game as a Sooner in my opinion. It was nice to win a big game on defense. Glad to see the FSU wideout who got knocked out was okay, that was scary for a second there. Easy to forget but I think Ball St. is sandwiched between the two big conference games, so that is nice. Texas looked awesome on Saturday, they are a top ten team in my opinion. Gilbert really was just that bad I think.
Yeah Ball State is in-between. I like that, they need a week to work on things before Texas.

OU: WR Franks indefinitely suspended

Posted by Travis Haney

on September 20, 2011M at 7:43 pm

CAMPUS CORNER — Just back from practice, where we learned sophomore receiver Trey Franks has been indefinitely suspended for violating team rules.

When will he return? Don’t know.

“That’ll be determined by Coach Stoops,” receivers coach Jay Norvell said.

What did he do? Don’t know.

However, these tweets are kind of telling …

TreyFranks2 trey franks

Been put into a very sticky situation …but with the lord on my side how could I fail

2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

»

trey franks

TreyFranks2 trey franks

Stupid mad right now

9 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

»

trey franks

TreyFranks2 trey franks

“@JBasey: @TreyFranks2 I feel like the offense is always that much more successful when the ball gets in your hands!” I like the way u think

18 Sep Favorite Retweet Reply

»

trey franks

TreyFranks2 trey franks

I could be selfish and talk about me ..but who cares wen u get a W and u know u did everything to help your team …#OUchasefor8 112%

With Ryan Broyles and Kenny Stills, it’s not as if OU is left with a void at receiver. But Franks did some nice things in the opener against Tulsa and he is the team’s best kick returner. Norvell said Franks’ suspension does open a door for players such as Dejuan Miller, Jaz Reynolds and Kameel Jackson. Norvell mentioned them in that order, too.
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bbjAx :rolleyes:

There isn't anything particularly fantastic about Whaley until he hits that hole, wow does he have acceleration at that point. But he catches well, he runs really hard and he pass blocks. Any word on this guy getting a scholarship? I think they have a few spares, they need to make it right when they can.

Landry doesn't look too great again tonight, I'm starting to get a bit worried. Very indecisive instead of the guy toward the end of last year that looked like he finally got it. I also would like them to use Millard and the TEs more in the redzone offense.

They need a turnover.

I was fully expecting to get blown out - and yardage wise we were, but at least it looked close in the final boxscore. Tough year for Mizzou. A few too many injuries and a qb still learning to be a leader. Oh well, at least I got the Border War tickets so I will get to see them reign hell on Kansas on Nov 26th.

Just got back from the game:

1. Landry had one pick that was able to be seen coming. You could tell where he was looking, you could see he didn't go through any progressions, and then he forced it. Broyles was WIDE open on a crossing route on that same play for a 15 yard gain plus YAC. That's really about the only gripe I had with him tonight.

2. Whaley is WAY better than Clay. Clay ran into the lineman blocking for him on a given play right around 40% of the time I think. Every time he ran the ball it seemed like he would lose yards, gain nothing, or get 3 yards max. I am not a Clay fan at all.

The flipside of that coin is that Whaley is a freakin beast. Everything he does looks good to me. Vision, determination, BALANCE. His balance is incredible. 3 times or so he got hammered near the sideline and manage to somehow spin and high step and not go out of bounds. He has awesome balance. I really can't say that enough.

3. Alexander had a great game I felt. He's very good. Very. Very. Good.

4. The video at the start of the game gives me goosebumps every time, especially when they put Box on there.

'Instinctive said:
2. Whaley is WAY better than Clay. Clay ran into the lineman blocking for him on a given play right around 40% of the time I think. Every time he ran the ball it seemed like he would lose yards, gain nothing, or get 3 yards max. I am not a Clay fan at all.The flipside of that coin is that Whaley is a freakin beast. Everything he does looks good to me. Vision, determination, BALANCE. His balance is incredible. 3 times or so he got hammered near the sideline and manage to somehow spin and high step and not go out of bounds. He has awesome balance. I really can't say that enough.
I know it's still early and maybe people might think I'm crazy, but I like Whaley better than Demarco. I think you have him broken down well, incredible balance and acceleration and he runs point to point instead of half stepping or any fancy cutbacks which most players can't execute. He's easily better than Clay, and I liked Calhoun better than Clay also. Finch apparently can't get the playbook down and his pass blocking is still porous. He's a perfect change of pace back though, his pace is different than just about anything you'll see. I think it's time for Brandon Williams, maybe they'll get him in vs Ball State next week. I think by the end of the year he is sharing carries with Whaley as a 1/2 punch and this offense is gonna be a lot more balanced and tougher to stop than it has been in the past. I also think they really missed Stills tonight. Without he or Franks, they have a tough time stretching the field. Broyles is always accounted for in these situations, Jackson is still learning and Miller is a possession guy. I would think Stills will be out next week as well, no reason to have him out there to be honest. With Franks and Stills both being idiots as student/athletes, that tends to worry me. They could have huge weeks and then be suspended by Monday for being #######s. Sounds like Franks is only worried about his numbers and he put the team in a bad spot this week with no Stills. They were not good in the first ten minutes and they kind of played soft in the fourth when they were up 31-14. I don't think that game was that close, OU dominated the middle quarters and probably should have won by 30. But they looked like this last year early on as well and really besides two tough road losses, they were really good last year after the Texas game. This year there are no real tough road games until Bedlam. TAMU is gonna be a tough game, you never know with the RRSO and Baylor might give them some trouble in Waco (but i thought that last year too and it was a blowout). Things are setting up well, but they need to put it all together vs Texas in two weeks and prove a point.

i should add that on that sideline play to Millard, when he smashed whoever it was that tried to tackle him the whole stadium went "OOOOOOO" at the same time. You could hear the breath go in before too. It was awesome. Better hit than anybody on either defense the entire game.

So when exactly did it become the Red River Shootout instead of the Red River Riot? That's what it was called when I was there (92-96).

Huh - I first heard it called something else after I graduated, and figured it was a case of people being PC about it. Honestly, it was always called OU/Texas while I was there, but if someone put an ESPN name on it, it was always Riot.

I just did a Google search and found virtually nothing about Riot being used for the games... maybe I was drunk for four years.

Huh - I first heard it called something else after I graduated, and figured it was a case of people being PC about it. Honestly, it was always called OU/Texas while I was there, but if someone put an ESPN name on it, it was always Riot.

I just did a Google search and found virtually nothing about Riot being used for the games... maybe I was drunk for four years.
I'd be disappointed if you weren't.More bad news:

Sooners' Ben Habern undergoes surgery

By Jake Trotter

Oklahoma Sooners junior center Ben Habern had surgery on his right forearm Sunday and is expected to be out at least a month.

Habern, who's made 27 career starts as OU's center, broke his radius bone in the third quarter of a 38-28 win over Missouri on Saturday. After being taken to the locker room, he came out with his arm in a sling.

The Sooners are hoping Habern can return in a month as a guard. But it could be at least two months before he'll be able to snap a ball.

With Habern out, left guard Gabe Ikard will slide over to center. Ikard played center after Habern exited Saturday's game.

Jake Trotter covers University of Oklahoma football for SoonerNation.
http://espn.go.com/dallas/story/_/id/7019226/ben-habern-oklahoma-sooners-miss-month-surgery?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=referral

Top 25

LSU

Oklahoma

Alabama

Boise State

Oklahoma State

Stanford

Wisconsin

Nebraska

Oregon

South Carolina

Virginia Tech

Florida

Clemson

Texas A&M

Baylor

South Florida

Texas

Arkansas

Michigan

TCU

Georgia Tech

West Virginia

Florida State

Illinois

Arizona State

A lot of love for Big 12 teams. Also, kinda glad OU has the bulls eye off their backs. GL LSU

'Doctor Detroit said:
'[icon] said:
'SHIZNITTTT said:
Also, kinda glad OU has the bulls eye off their backs. GL LSU
:lmao: This is quality shtick
So is a Tennessee fan posting SEC posts in an OU thread. No one cares about Tennessee guy and throwing up conference gang signs is very Lhucksian of you. :bye:
Link to me throwing up "Conference Gang Signs"? :lmao: 1) I posted what I felt to be an amusing GM Tweet about OU being overrated (which I happen to agree with). 2) Then had a chuckle at the expense of a guy who is acting like falling out of first place was the desirable outcome of this weeks games. Prior to this post I had yet to type the name of ANY conference in here.... Let's toughen up that hide a bit and stop looking for the boogieman in ever dark corner, mkay?

Last edited by a moderator:
'Doctor Detroit said:
'[icon] said:
'SHIZNITTTT said:
So is a Tennessee fan posting SEC posts in an OU thread. No one cares about Tennessee guy and throwing up conference gang signs is very Lhucksian of you. :bye:
Link to me throwing up "Conference Gang Signs"? :lmao: 1) I posted what I felt to be an amusing GM Tweet about OU being overrated (which I happen to agree with).

2) Then had a chuckle at the expense of a guy who is acting like falling out of first place was the desirable outcome of this weeks games.

Prior to this post I had yet to type the name of ANY conference in here.... Let's toughen up that hide a bit and stop looking for the boogieman in ever dark corner, mkay?
In totality, I think it is. There is no value in being #1 at this point in the season.

WGAF about the AP poll either way? If OU wins out I guarantee they will be in the BCS title game. Nothing else really matters.

'Doctor Detroit said:
'[icon] said:
'SHIZNITTTT said:
Link to me throwing up "Conference Gang Signs"? :lmao: 1) I posted what I felt to be an amusing GM Tweet about OU being overrated (which I happen to agree with).

2) Then had a chuckle at the expense of a guy who is acting like falling out of first place was the desirable outcome of this weeks games.

Prior to this post I had yet to type the name of ANY conference in here.... Let's toughen up that hide a bit and stop looking for the boogieman in ever dark corner, mkay?
In totality, I think it is. There is no value in being #1 at this point in the season.
It may not have been desirable, but it's not like it was undesirable. If OU goes undefeated, we go to the National Championship Game. Period. We'll probably play LSU, Alabama, or Florida. Boise St plays a joke of a schedule, so as long as two teams from non-#### conferences go undefeated, Boise doesn't make it into the title game.So who cares if we're number one this early? All that matters is that if we don't lose, we go to the title game. Until then, our rank really doesn't mean squat.

Boogieman... :rolleyes: . As if one of the 5 greatest programs in college football history is afraid of anything. :lmao:

Bottom line is that the National Title game is probably the winner of Bedlam (assuming both teams remain undefeated until then) vs whichever of Florida, Alabama, or LSU can beat both of the other two (I assume they all play each other)

So for the OU fans how many losses will OU get this season (before bowl game)?
They can win every game on their schedule. That's all that matters.
ETA: Baylor could win every game, doesn't mean it'll happen. Don't dodge the question.You honestly think they'll win every game on their schedule? Come on now you wouldn't be saying this if it wasn't OU.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread