What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Texas Rangers Thread - Langford vs. Carter for ROY *** (1 Viewer)

If you have a sub to The Athletic, I highly recommend this article about Yohel Pozo and his family. Pozo and his family were literally homeless in December, and now he is getting playing time in the big leagues.

(And yes, there is the hazing incident in 2016, but it seems that things have moved past that and no charges brought against him.) I think the article speaks a lot about how the health care system in this country is broken and along side that, the minor league compensation system also seems broken.

Article

Would rather lose instead of win at this point, but when you can put double digits on the Astros, you feel all warm inside.

The old Globe Life Park, Ballpark at Arlington, Temple is now known as Choctaw Stadium. Which ties in great with the mainly high school football demographic.

I guess there is value in trying not to lose 100 games for the second time in team history. Nice little win streak going on. Need to play one game better than 0.500 from here on out.

When I get stuck working late I listen to the late games on the MLB app. Tonight, I listened to the Rangers radio feed on the Louisiana Hot Sauce network. 

I didn't catch the names of the two announcers but they were entertaining. The game was out of hand, so they started talking about other things. First, they talked about the TNF game and how that would affect the Cowboys. Then they wondered if a tele-strator would work on a baseball telecast, and one of them did a not-so accurate impression of John Madden, dropping in a couple of bams.

When Texas reliever Josh Sborz entered the game, one asked a trivia question of the other: Josh Sborz is the second player in major league history whose last name begins with the first two letters of and B, who was the first. It was kind of a trick question because the answer was Josh's older brother Jay. It turns out that Jay's entire major league career comprised of 2/3 of an inning in a game in 2010 where he plunked the first two batters he ever faced and then proceeded to give up five earned runs, and ended with a career line of 67.50 ERA. The two announcers found that humorous.

But what I recall most about the broadcast was during every half inning the singing commercial for Blue Bell Ice Cream. Every. Half. Inning. The song resembles the soft parts of Alanis Morrisette's "Ironic" where they list everything that Blue Bell represents. 

I can't get the song out of my head. 

Last roadtrip series of the season, then six at home to drag this ####storm of a season to the end. Can at least be in person to see the last "Indians" game next weekend.

This team deserves 100 losses.

Not sure any team "deserves" 100 losses, but this team is really bad. Worst part is, outside of a 6 game run to finish the season, they will have at least 100 losses, but not the number one draft pick. You suck, but you don't suck hard enough. (last words to my ex-wife)

The Mavericks, Stars and Rangers can never seem to land the elusive free agent anymore, call it The Curse of A-Rod. But, there is some hope for our little baseball team. Some interesting nuggets out of the Interwebs today:

"The Rangers have less than $51 million committed in 2022, including projections for all four of their arbitration-eligible players. Their commitments drop to $3.75 million in ’23 and zero in ’24, not including arb eligibles."

Not sure I have seen this team with that clean of a payroll, like ever. The hard part isn't spending money, it's spending the right money.

"The team, with Globe Life Field open to fans in the regular season for the first time, led the American League in average home attendance last season (26,053 average)"

The elephant in the room has always been that this area is a top 5 media market (might be 4th now passing Philadelphia) with 3 cities in the Top 50 population sizes in the US (Dallas - 9th, Fort Worth - 12th, Arlington 49th), but the owners, regardless of who they are, pretend they need to compete with the Oakland/Tampa Bay/Minnesota markets. 

The farm system is a couple years away still, so hopefully they spend on veterans smartly this season. But then, that's about as wishful thinking as wishing that Nelson Cruz had caught that ball.

Nice little weekend for the Rangers front office.

Marcus Semien - 7 years, $175 million

Jon Gray - 4 years, $56 million

Kole Calhoun - 1 year, $5.2 million

Of the 4 shortstops available, Semien was the one who seem to be more productive but held back because he was 3 years older. Biased against Correa and the fact that Seager and Story might still be in play, this infield could look drastically different come opening day.

Gray isn't the ace that you hope to get, but this rotation needed some kind of anchor, a guy who can eat innings and teach the young guys and maybe the move away from Colorado (yes, his road numbers are worse) might be beneficial.

Calhoun, you hope that he has a healthy bounce-back season filling in while the Rangers figure out a weird outfield situation.

When you were as bad as this team was, you get super excited about anything, but I am extra excited how this off-season has started.

Of the 4 shortstops available, Semien was the one who seem to be more productive but held back because he was 3 years older. Biased against Correa and the fact that Seager and Story might still be in play, this infield could look drastically different come opening day.

Gray isn't the ace that you hope to get, but this rotation needed some kind of anchor, a guy who can eat innings and teach the young guys and maybe the move away from Colorado (yes, his road numbers are worse) might be beneficial.

Calhoun, you hope that he has a healthy bounce-back season filling in while the Rangers figure out a weird outfield situation.

When you were as bad as this team was, you get super excited about anything, but I am extra excited how this off-season has started.

Well Correa wants a 10 year deal so it works out pretty much the same age wise.

Simien has matured into one of the best hitting SS in MLB.  Like this deal better than a Correa deal.  Was hoping the Tigers landed Simien.

And now..................I think my beers and parking might have gotten a bit more expensive today, but I'd pay more to watch a parade some day (damn you Nellie.........still love you, but that ball had to be caught).

Potential lineup as of today:

1. Willie Calhoun (L) - DH
  2. Marcus Semien (R) - 2B
  3. Corey Seager (L) - SS
  4. Adolis Garcia (R) - CF
  5. Nate Lowe (L) - 1B
  6. Kole Calhoun (L) - RF
  7. Jonah Heim (S)/Jose Trevino (R) - C
  8. Billy McKinney (L) - LF
  9. Josh Jung (R) - 3B
Bench - Kiner-Falefa, Solak, Peters, Ibanez

Rotation - Gray, Dunning, Hearn, Alexy, Howard

Bullpen - Barlow, Hernandez, Leclerc and a bunch of guys

LFG!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to Texas, Mr. Corey Seager!!!

10 years - $325 million is funny money, but ownership can do that. Build from the middle of the field, out. Check and check.
As a Dodgers fan, losing Seager stings a bit.   He doesn't have the range or the glove to be a shortstop long term, but he'll make a heck of a third baseman for the first 5 years of that contract.

Let's do a Kershaw deal - 3 years for $55 million and call it a day. He gets to be this generation's Nolan Ryan for the city. 

Let's do a Kershaw deal - 3 years for $55 million and call it a day. He gets to be this generation's Nolan Ryan for the city. 
I think most Dodgers fans expect Kershaw to go to the Rangers.

He doesn't have 3 years left, though.   

I think most Dodgers fans expect Kershaw to go to the Rangers.

He doesn't have 3 years left, though.   
I've seen most predictions say somewhere around 2 for $40. I figure the third year spreads out the money a bit and if he's doing a Roger Clemens and only pitching home games by that third year, so be it. This city loves him and I can only imagine what starts would be like in that park.

I've seen most predictions say somewhere around 2 for $40. I figure the third year spreads out the money a bit and if he's doing a Roger Clemens and only pitching home games by that third year, so be it. This city loves him and I can only imagine what starts would be like in that park.
Seems like a good deal for both sides.   Only real problem is that he can't really eat innings anymore and has chronic back problems.   They claim he didn't damage his UCL, but it just came out that they lied about the same injury with Muncy, so who knows.   He was a generational pitcher, though.   

Whether or not you agree with the contract lengths or amounts, you gotta at least give them credit for following through with finally spending some money.

I think the Gray, Semien, and Seager were all solid signings. Probably could have waited on an outfielder though, Calhoun looks done.

I am very bullish on Josh Jung, think he is going to be a really good hitter for them. Not a 40 homer guy but a .280-.300 hitter with 20-25 honers and a high OBP

Whether or not you agree with the contract lengths or amounts, you gotta at least give them credit for following through with finally spending some money.

Agree 100%. This was a really unique opportunity with a blank slate to not just be the drunk guy in the first hour of a fantasy draft, but really build something that can compete. And even with all the spending, they are still under league average for payroll at $99 million, fall 16th out of 30 teams and are spending less than half of the Mets and Yankees payroll.

I think the Gray, Semien, and Seager were all solid signings. Probably could have waited on an outfielder though, Calhoun looks done.

I am very bullish on Josh Jung, think he is going to be a really good hitter for them. Not a 40 homer guy but a .280-.300 hitter with 20-25 honers and a high OBP

Also completely agree with all of this. Calhoun almost feels like a favor to an agent or something. I am huge on Jung and going to be disappointed if he's not playing third base on Opening Day to be honest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Birthday to Charlie Hough, 74 years young today.

The first player I think that I ever was a fan of. Mainly because it seemed like he was starting every Ranger game I would attend and my Dad and Grandpa loved talking about Hough and his knuckleball. "Hitters can't hit it because they don't know where it's going. How can they? Hough doesn't know where it's going." And my Dad always though that you should make Hough not a starter or a closer, but a middle. Have him pitch the 4th, 5th and 6th innings of the game. Let Nolan start the game and throw 100 through the lineup once, then have Hough come out and knuckle them the second time through. Pretty genius move if you ask me.

Stay Hard Charlie!!! Hope you are smoking a cigarette in the tunnel to the dugout somewhere tonight.

Josh Jung, number 2 prospect, to have surgery immediately on a torn labrum. He can DH in 6 months.

Homer Team Predictions:

Rangers win 82 or more games this season.

The Calhoun Brothers combine for over 50 HRs

Mitch Garver stays healthy all year and is the cleanup hitter we are hoping for.

Gray and Perez pitch well, but its Hearn or Howard that are considered the ace by the end of the season.

GAME ONE TONIGHT!! LFG!!!

What is the local take on Marcus Semien? This has been brutal to watch.

The local take so far is that Luka is really good at basketball.

But seriously, when they do talk Rangers, it's a concern, but not a huge one yet. I think if they thought they were going to contend this year, there would be more pearls clutched, but he gets a slight pass as "he'll figure it out".

Why they still bat him so high is stupid.

I think I watched 2 of the 500 games in whatever we are calling the Woodward era.

Not at all sure how this thing gets turned around.

I think I watched 2 of the 500 games in whatever we are calling the Woodward era.

Not at all sure how this thing gets turned around.

Rangers' fan since '81. It gets turned around when the team figures out how to develop and retain elite starting pitchers. I've waited 41 years for this and, well......still waiting. Never had a Cy Young winner. I bet I die before it happens.

But sure, go out and over pay for middle infielders. Again.

Users who are viewing this thread