What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****OFFICIAL**** TOP CHEF THREAD (3 Viewers)

DCThunder

Footballguy
Top four chefs from season 1 battle it out with the top 4 from season 2 tonight and then the regular Season 3 (set in Miami) starts next week.

The all stars battle should be good as some of the F4 from S2 really didn't like each other and now have to work together.

Of more import, how hot will Padme be tonight? Rowwwwr!

Last edited by a moderator:
First episode of Season 3 on Bravo last night. Some decent cooks this time around and hopefully less "drama" between cheftestants. Padma looked hot, and Anthony Bourdain was amusing as one of the judges.

Since it will be on Bravo all the time, check it out. While it doesn't have Gordon Ramsey, it is a very good show.

Love this show and glad that it's back so soon.

Looks like a pretty strong group of chefs so far. That guy Hung might be tough to beat unless he gets overconfident, although he certainly seems more talented than Marcel from Season 2.

Thoughts?

love this show

its obvious the talent level has been raised

both shows so far colicio (sp?) has pointed out that there have been no bad dishes

saw the first episode and will watch but irregularly. Just don't have time for it. I tend to end up watching one of those marathons they put on over the weekend.

The black dude from Dallas takes this easily. He works in a legit continental restaurant and should have the range to clown this thing.

TC is the only reality show I watch religiously, so I don't know if this is a generic complaint. But the early shows aren't the best because the large number of contestants makes it hard to focus on either the food or personalities. Everything seems rushed over in order to get to the next Glad product placement.

If I were smart, I'd sit this season out until the cutdown to eight or so, and catch the recaps during one of Bravo's frequent marathons. But I'm about as smart as Joey is :goodposting:

for some reason, i love this show. Usually hate anything that sniffs of reality tv, but this one has me.

anyway, they are going to have a real tough time once they're down to 7 or 8 chefs left. Where are the train wrecks like season 2 had? I wish they would've kept the Bayou boy around a few more weeks. I wanted to see how many different fried fish dishes he could serve up.

I just caught this show for the first time last night and loved it. I'm also a fan of the Next Food Network Star. I haven't seen Hell's Kitchen yet.

First episode of Season 3 on Bravo last night. Some decent cooks this time around and hopefully less "drama" between cheftestants. Padma looked hot, and Anthony Bourdain was amusing as one of the judges.

Since it will be on Bravo all the time, check it out. While it doesn't have Gordon Ramsey, it is a very good show.
Gordon Ramsey news..

Top Chef>>>>>>>Hell's Kitchen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Next Food Network Star.

I watch them all and that's my approximate ranking. As far as cooking skillz go, the Top Chef cheftestants are the winner by a landslide.

yeah the food network show is boooooring.

It sort of reminds me of the espn thing that they did and let those guys get a total of 2hrs of airtime and pulled the plug. As if they'd let any of those spares get a show for any length of time.

for some reason, i love this show. Usually hate anything that sniffs of reality tv, but this one has me.anyway, they are going to have a real tough time once they're down to 7 or 8 chefs left. Where are the train wrecks like season 2 had? I wish they would've kept the Bayou boy around a few more weeks. I wanted to see how many different fried fish dishes he could serve up.
So far, none of the season 3 participants look capable of bringing the unctuousness of Marcel or Stephen. Hopefully somebody will step up because arrogance and food go well together.I was sad to see the Mississippi guy go out so early. He had potential of being a Tennessee Williams character like Dewberry from the first season of Hell's Kitchen.

The black dude from Dallas takes this easily. He works in a legit continental restaurant and should have the range to clown this thing.
I was at Shen Sei last night which is where the other (lady) chef from Dallas works. They were watching the show upstairs and she was there. I am friends with some of the people who work there and although they told me that she hasn't and can't tell anyone who won, blah , blah, blah - rumor has it from that she made it to the top 3 but the gent from Abacus did not. Like I said it was an unconfirmed rumor...take what you want from it. Both are good places to eat though - I have never been disappointed by either. Love the lobster shooters from Abacus.

If I were smart, I'd sit this season out until the cutdown to eight or so, and catch the recaps during one of Bravo's frequent marathons. But I'm about as smart as Joey is :tinfoilhat:
That guy's classic. His head's going to explode before the season's over. I'm surprised there aren't more Top Chef fans here. Great show.

Love the show. Best reality show out there imo. Why it has to be on the same night as Rescue Me while on mondays Im left watching crap I dont know.

TC is the only reality show I watch religiously, so I don't know if this is a generic complaint. But the early shows aren't the best because the large number of contestants makes it hard to focus on either the food or personalities. Everything seems rushed over in order to get to the next Glad product placement.If I were smart, I'd sit this season out until the cutdown to eight or so, and catch the recaps during one of Bravo's frequent marathons. But I'm about as smart as Joey is :ph34r:
I'm watching, and I feel the same way. I can't bring myself to wait on it though, so I watch all the episodes. You do get to catch gems like Hung making fun of Micah for crying, that was great.

I just realized I'm watching three food related reality shows, with this one, Hell's Kitchen and The Next Food Network Star.

I just realized I'm watching three food related reality shows, with this one, Hell's Kitchen and The Next Food Network Star.
The other two don't touch Top Chef.
Hells Kitchen has comedic value only, but Food Network Star is good stuff. Guy Fieri has a pretty good show now because of it.
Really, you like it? I think he's sort of a one trick pony. Get him away from buffalo wings and crispy won tons and he's lost.

Anybody watching this?

OK show tonight.

Hung got even more arrogant. It's not surprising that he's friends with Marcel.

Micah offended the judges with her ketchup on meatloaf comment.

CJ's dish looked disgusting. :yes: ;)

I thought it was a good challenge with lots of opportunities but I was pretty unimpressed with what most of them turned out. In their defense, I thought the guest judge seemed like a jerk. Even though Brian had immunity, I wondered if they'd toss him anyway, for sort of thumbing his nose at the challenge like that. Dumb move on his part.

I thought it was a good challenge with lots of opportunities but I was pretty unimpressed with what most of them turned out. In their defense, I thought the guest judge seemed like a jerk. Even though Brian had immunity, I wondered if they'd toss him anyway, for sort of thumbing his nose at the challenge like that. Dumb move on his part.
Here's what threw them IMO. They said they'd be presenting to the elk lodge and this would factor into their judging. If it was just randoms that might like fine dining then they would have opened up a little bit. And as a little side note the two Dallas competitors are really from the same ownership group here in town. This is somewhat interesting that they allowed two chefs in like that. They act like they don't know eachother, and I guess they don't. I've never had a desire to go to Dean's wife's place where the girl cooks at. Abacus is solid and I'm gonna try to make it back there soon. Maybe I'll get Tre to get a pic taken with me and the mrs. I think Dean was a guest judge in season 2 IIRC.

I think these contestants pale in comparison to last year's group. There seems to be very little creativity and the quality just doesn't seem to be on par. It's still early and there's time for them to show us more. Either way I'll keep watching. I love this show.

Here's what threw them IMO. They said they'd be presenting to the elk lodge and this would factor into their judging. If it was just randoms that might like fine dining then they would have opened up a little bit. And as a little side note the two Dallas competitors are really from the same ownership group here in town. This is somewhat interesting that they allowed two chefs in like that. They act like they don't know eachother, and I guess they don't. I've never had a desire to go to Dean's wife's place where the girl cooks at. Abacus is solid and I'm gonna try to make it back there soon. Maybe I'll get Tre to get a pic taken with me and the mrs.

I think Dean was a guest judge in season 2 IIRC.
The 1 hour prep time also was a big factor. As much as the were railing on the girl who just bought the sausages, I really find it hard to believe she could have made sausages for 20 in an hour. Heck they still almost had a conniption over the guy who used powdered potatoes and he came in second. If they want high dining with comfort foods they really should have given them a little more time.

I think these contestants pale in comparison to last year's group. There seems to be very little creativity and the quality just doesn't seem to be on par. It's still early and there's time for them to show us more. Either way I'll keep watching. I love this show.
I'm beginning to really agree with this in regards to the caliber of this season's chefs. Maybe someone will step up, but no one's been consistently amazing so far, the way Sam (who should've won the whole thing) was all through last season and Harold was in the first season. Hung and Tre started strong, but they seem a bit erratic and Hung's arrogance is going to get the better of him soon. Still a great show, but I wish the chefs were better.

Another point: I know there are always some weak chefs at the beginning who need to be weeded out, but this season seems even worse. Take the Jamaican chick, for example. Has she made anything that's been even half-way decent? She'd be gone, except for the fact that some of the others have been even worse.

I didn't even know who the girl that got eliminated last night was. I hope the next one to go is the Jamaican girl, her accent annoys me.

Staffers April Powell and Teresa Gubbins play "Ebert and Roper" on Episode 5 of Wednesday night's Top Chef series, starring Dallas chefs Tre Wilcox of Abacus and Casey Thompson of Shinsei.

- - - -

TG: And one more of the anonymous girls goes away. Who knew she & Casey were such bestest friends?

AP: Casey, Joey, and Howie were a regular love-fest this week, too.

TG: The judges obviously "see something" in Casey. If they went by her dishes alone, she would be out of there. As Tom Colicchio said, there was nothing Latin about her chicken-and-rice dish.

AP: I think she just manages to not be the "most bad." I loved her talking about how she's from Texas and has some sort of special knowledge of Latin flavor.

TG: Also not on my hot list was Tre. He said the tarte tatin was on HIS menu at HIS restaurant. Well, Abacus has a very good pastry chef, Rick Griggs. I thought it in pretty bad taste for Tre to take credit for that pastry. At least Joey gave credit for his bean stew to the Mexican guys he works with.

AP: That was nice. Even if he did sandbag on his pastry experience in the quick fire challenge.

TG: OH I forgot about that! He totally sleazed.

AP: But hey, if he delivers the goods, a little false modesty is OK, I say.

TG: Didn't all of the dishes sound really good tonight? Aside from the losing one. Smoked trout with polenta, bleh.

AP: I'm not a big polenta fan. Seems like the kind of thing you have to have a knack for -- you know, it needs flavor added to make it special.

TG: Goat cheese. It's good with goat cheese. The pastry crust challenge was the first one where I thought I could do better than what the chefs did. Score one for the home viewer!

AP: I probably would have just baked a quiche. Goat cheese would be good in a quiche... Hmmmm. I'm getting Sunday brunch ideas.

-----------

I spend most of the show just blasting padme with the mrs.

padme seems to have no business discussing the food

her inedible comment that colichio corrected is a good example

I like her as host but she needs to #### when they evaluate the food

padme seems to have no business discussing the foodher inedible comment that colichio corrected is a good exampleI like her as host but she needs to #### when they evaluate the food
Yeah, she pretty much never goes out on a limb and when she does she gets smacked. The rest of the time she's talking through her clenched horse teeth. It's tough to pick out a favorite. There's still some dead weight here.

Users who are viewing this thread