What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL Trump vs. DeSantis Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Please please no Trump. He cost conservatives the House, Senate and the white house. Please don't make that error again. DeSantis, Haley, Scott and Scott are all fine choices. I'd actually move DeSantis to the end of this list. He's to Trumpish for me, but better then Trump.

Best case scenario is Donald/DeSantis ticket and we have 12 years of MAGA to fix the country . Second best is the tender hearts get Donald banned from running and you have Donald as the attack dog and DeSantis doing his thing on the campaign trail . Jackpot
No soft spot for traitors ....

Desantis hasn’t proven to be traitorous yet so he should be the preference. 

Don't be so sure. He was in on the fake electoral steal:

Trump attorney links FL to efforts to use alternate electors to undermine Biden victory

Two days after Election Day, while ballots were still being counted, Gov. Ron DeSantis said on a nationally broadcast Fox talk show that legislators in those contested states were authorized by the U.S. Constitution to cast their electoral ballots for Trump regardless of what state election officials were saying about the votes.

“Under Article 2 of the Constitution, presidential electors are done by legislatures and the schemes they create, and the framework,” DeSantis said when asked by the host for his advice to fellow Republicans.

“I would also tell them, if you’re in those states that have Republican legislatures, like Pennsylvania and Michigan, all these places, call your state representatives and your state senators. And if there’s a departure from that, if they’re not following law, if they’re ignoring law, then they [legislatures] can provide remedies as well, so I would exhaust every option to make sure we have a fair count.”

DeSantis added, “I would just urge everyone, donate to the president’s legal relief.”

Best case scenario is Trump puts his ego aside (if that is possible) and does what he did in Virginia for Youngkin...rally support, get his loyalists to vote for a candidate but don't become the story and keep somewhat of a low profile...basically bring energy to the ticket without bringing any energy to the dems...if he could do this for DeSantis the 2024 election would have a chance to be a big time win for the GOP. 

Don't be so sure. He was in on the fake electoral steal:

Trump attorney links FL to efforts to use alternate electors to undermine Biden victory

Two days after Election Day, while ballots were still being counted, Gov. Ron DeSantis said on a nationally broadcast Fox talk show that legislators in those contested states were authorized by the U.S. Constitution to cast their electoral ballots for Trump regardless of what state election officials were saying about the votes.

“Under Article 2 of the Constitution, presidential electors are done by legislatures and the schemes they create, and the framework,” DeSantis said when asked by the host for his advice to fellow Republicans.

“I would also tell them, if you’re in those states that have Republican legislatures, like Pennsylvania and Michigan, all these places, call your state representatives and your state senators. And if there’s a departure from that, if they’re not following law, if they’re ignoring law, then they [legislatures] can provide remedies as well, so I would exhaust every option to make sure we have a fair count.”

DeSantis added, “I would just urge everyone, donate to the president’s legal relief.”
Now that Don is becoming damaged goods this dude will sing a new song I bet. Ron seems to be pretty savvy.

Beats the alternative. And you need to look a little broader, like how's the world going?

The alternative?  You mean like the alterntative of a booming economy, reasonable gas prices, no food/baby formula shortages and a President not in early onset Dementia?  You think it's better than THAT alternative?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why Ron DeSantis Can Beat Trump in 2024

One of the points I made in my feature story on DeSantis in March is that he is the beneficiary of a concerted effort by Republican elites to promote his candidacy. The coordination behind DeSantis is reminiscent of how the party coalesced behind George W. Bush in 1999. What had begun as a wide-open race with multiple contestants winnowed very quickly as the word got out that Bush was the pick.

Something very much like that is occurring with DeSantis. DeSantis is hoovering up cash from the party’s donor class, including the support of at least 42 billionaires. The most telling fact about the New Hampshire poll is that while DeSantis leads Trump by just two points overall, he leads among Fox News watchers by 14 points and among conservative radio listeners by 16 points. Republicans who consume conservative media are getting the message. The voters who are not yet tuned in to conservative media may still name Trump in polls, but they are likely to follow.

Crucially, the support for DeSantis spans the current internal divide within the party between anti-anti-Trump conservatives — who disdain Trump as a liability and wish he was gone but support him against the Democrats — and enthusiastically pro-Trump conservatives.

If you do not follow conservative media, the full force of this effort may not be visible. But if you do, the drumbeat for DeSantis is being sounded literally every single day. At National Review, a stronghold of anti-anti-Trumpism, recent DeSantis coverage includes headlines like “Ron DeSantis Can Save America’s Universities,” “Defiant DeSantis Touts Home State During NYC Visit,” “DeSantis Is on Democratic Minds,” and two items touting the New Hampshire poll. There are three columns responding to The New Yorker’s feature on DeSantis (“Progressives’ Grunts Are Growing Desperate,” “Republican Consultants: Dumb and Evil,” and “The New Yorker Accidentally Makes Ron DeSantis Look Awesome.”

Best case scenario is Trump puts his ego aside (if that is possible) and does what he did in Virginia for Youngkin...rally support, get his loyalists to vote for a candidate but don't become the story and keep somewhat of a low profile...basically bring energy to the ticket without bringing any energy to the dems...if he could do this for DeSantis the 2024 election would have a chance to be a big time win for the GOP. 
Do you think he could be 2nd fiddle?  For POTUS?

The alternative?  You mean like the alterntative of a booming economy, reasonable gas prices, no food/baby formula shortages and a President not in early onset Dementia?  You think it's better than THAT alternative?
i mean like a similar economy and gas prices as we have today…baby formula shortages and all the same problems and then add in someone who tried to subvert the constitution and our laws to remain in power.

To claim the alternative would have the economy booming right now, low gas prices and no shortages…doesn’t seed based in anything factual.

So what you're saying is that all this scenario would require would be Trump putting aside his own desire for self-aggrandizement for the benefit of others. I suppose he's due for that to happen once every 78 years ...

For the record, Jonathan Chait -- who wrote the piece I quoted above -- says that DeSantis could buy Trump off:

Trump would see his position to threaten tanking a DeSantis nomination as leverage, and enter into a negotiation. In my opinion, DeSantis could offer Trump much more (legal impunity, income streams via conservative politics) than Biden or any other Democrat could.
I just don't know if I buy this. With Trump, so much of it leads back to ego. He thinks he won and the presidency was stolen from him. I think he needs to win it back to avenge that humiliation. For him to admit that he couldn't even win a primary?

The New Hampshire poll is interesting, but it’s contradicted by the most recent national poll of Republicans that has Trump leading by 30 points. 
One thing is pretty clear at this point: it’s one of these two. Other potential candidates- Pence, Haley, etc.- don’t have a shot. Since 2015, Republicans have become defiant, angry and nativist, and DeSantis like Trump captures that attitude. 

The New Hampshire poll is interesting, but it’s contradicted by the most recent national poll of Republicans that has Trump leading by 30 points. 
One thing is pretty clear at this point: it’s one of these two. Other potential candidates- Pence, Haley, etc.- don’t have a shot. Since 2015, Republicans have become defiant, angry and nativist, and DeSantis like Trump captures that attitude. 
We’ve been angry before that.  You can go back to Obamacare for starters.

Tea party?

It's just a response to the internationalism democrats.   You really don't have your finger on the pulse Tim.    Enjoy europe.

It really is puzzling how the Dems can't figure out it's in their best interests to get DeSantis out there as the "front runner".  Trump would absolutely lose his #### and the onslaught would begin.
it is not about party to me. I want that traitorous loser to face charges for election fraud and conspiracy to circumvent the will of the American people.  

I don’t care if it helps or hurts either party.

it is not about party to me. I want that traitorous loser to face charges for election fraud and conspiracy to circumvent the will of the American people.  

I don’t care if it helps or hurts either party.
You mean in regards to 1/6?  Yeah, I agree 100%.  I was commenting on this alleged "competition" between Trump and DeSantis.  

It really is puzzling how the Dems can't figure out it's in their best interests to get DeSantis out there as the "front runner".  Trump would absolutely lose his #### and the onslaught would begin.
DeSantis is riding high right now, but he has some real weaknesses, particularly on the personality front, and Trump could do real damage there.

The problem for Dems in terms of controlling the narrative is that, more than ever before, the '24 GOP primary will take place in a bubble. It won't matter what NBC and CNN and the NYT are saying about DeSantis. Only thing that will matter is how he's being covered on Fox, Newsmax, Dan Bongino's podcast, etc. And as Chait shows in that article I linked to, right now that message is relentlessly positive, to the point of hagiography.

Desantis can also leverage that trump can’t win the general.  61% of independents think he’s committed a crime for 1.6

Any chance if Trump loses the primary that he decides to run “third party”? This is my greatest fear that he does and splits the conservative vote. 

I prefer Desantis over Trump but will vote for either if they are the nominee. 

DeSantis is riding high right now, but he has some real weaknesses, particularly on the personality front, and Trump could do real damage there.

The problem for Dems in terms of controlling the narrative is that, more than ever before, the '24 GOP primary will take place in a bubble. It won't matter what NBC and CNN and the NYT are saying about DeSantis. Only thing that will matter is how he's being covered on Fox, Newsmax, Dan Bongino's podcast, etc. And as Chait shows in that article I linked to, right now that message is relentlessly positive, to the point of hagiography.
It doesn't need to be on those channels...just having it out on social media..stirring up the usuals on Truth Social, Facebook, Twitter etc....ALL those are more powerful than the Newsmaxes and Fox's of the world....they get their narratives from social media and will pick up whatever is popular.  We see this time and time and time again.  With this group you plant the seed and watch where it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much what the committee hearings are doing.  

Trump has something that DeSantis does not: A personality.  Love him or hate him, but he controls the news cycle. Now, there are a lot of reasons for Trump to run again: 1) more money to steal from his supporters. 2) Possibly making all the legal troubles go away, 3) Ego. Desantis may be able to help him with the second part of the that list, but 1 and 3 are the reasons that I'm sure Desantis is concerned, as is the republican party.

The truth is that the right really doesn't need trump anymore.  They got their guns, they got Roe overturned, they have their SC locked and loaded. They don't need this silly clown other than for the LOLs to the liberals. Pretty much anyone running against Biden has an advantage.  This is true whenever a democrat has to clean up a mess left by a republican. The Republican says "everything was great when we were here" forgetting their tax cut or policies created the mess that then needs to be fixed.  Trump allows Biden to say "you started all of this mess in the first place" while DeSantis doesn't have any of that stink on him.

Users who are viewing this thread