What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Official Who Gets Benched To Rest Thread ** (1 Viewer)

RalphMouth

Footballguy
Ok-I know I'm not the only one out there who has a championship to win this weekend. I thought it would be great to have a thread with links to articles showing proof of those teams that will be holding out their star players for the playoffs :angry: The potential is certainly there as we already saw Philly do it on Monday Night Football. Will Philly do it again ? How about New England ? Indy ? San Diego ?Atlanta?I'm concerned about Drew Brees and Warrick Dunn .... :wall: Come on sharks !! Lets hear about the team nearest to you and what you've heard.There's lots of $$$ :thumbup: up for grabs .

I'm concerned about Drew Brees and Warrick Dunn .... :wall:
Me too. My other options are Brooks and Pittman. Really got hosed by playing Pittman over Dunn this week. :thumbdown: Also have Harrison, but it's a TD only league and I still like his chances in one half over a full game from my other option, DJax.I think I'll go with Vinatieri over Stover regardless as the Pats should be able to move the ball against SF even without their starters.

This is more of a who *doesn't* get benched, but it looks like Peyton, Edge, & co. will at least see significant time, if not the whole game.

Dungy to play starters

Seems they want "momentum" and to keep their winning streak alive. (Hmmm....in denver. Maybe they want to practice on their cold-weather game management as well)

There are conflicting reports about what the steelers will do.

AP is implying that Cowher will play some of his starters because he want's to be playing well going into the playoffs, however, the Post Gazette says Roethlisberger is not playing (not a surprise) and also has Burress and Bettis basically lobbying for rest. Bettis even saying he'd pass up the chance to get 1000 yards (needs 59) if it meant more rest.

This is more of a who *doesn't* get benched, but it looks like Peyton, Edge, & co. will at least see significant time, if not the whole game.Dungy to play startersSeems they want "momentum" and to keep their winning streak alive. (Hmmm....in denver. Maybe they want to practice on their cold-weather game management as well)There are conflicting reports about what the steelers will do.AP is implying that Cowher will play some of his starters because he want's to be playing well going into the playoffs, however, the Post Gazette says Roethlisberger is not playing (not a surprise) and also has Burress and Bettis basically lobbying for rest. Bettis even saying he'd pass up the chance to get 1000 yards (needs 59) if it meant more rest.
Excellent post :yes: :thumbup: this is the kind of information many of us are looking for. More posts in this thread like this one will certainly help alot of us..keep it coming :popcorn:

My starters with question marks are Favre - doubt he will play the whole game, might make a McNabb type appearance to keep his streak alive.Tomlinson - probably same as above, nothing to play for except maybe his consecutive td streak, probably play a qtr/half at most.Jamal Lewis - don't think they have anything to play for and has a gimpy ankleHolt - not sure if the Rams have anything to play for at this pointHeap - don't think they have anything to play for and has a gimpy ankle

My starters with question marks are Favre - doubt he will play the whole game, might make a McNabb type appearance to keep his streak alive.Tomlinson - probably same as above, nothing to play for except maybe his consecutive td streak, probably play a qtr/half at most.Jamal Lewis - don't think they have anything to play for and has a gimpy ankleHolt - not sure if the Rams have anything to play for at this pointHeap - don't think they have anything to play for and has a gimpy ankle
Week 17 Playoff ScenariosRavens & Rams still need a win to get into the playoffs, so Holt should be a solid play and Lewis & Heap should play if healthy.

for me the big one is Brady. Seeing as how Belichick is about as forthcoming and helpful with information as the IRS, my guess is we will go down to the wire on this one. I'm also concerned about Tomlinson and Harrison, but I think they each have a better chanve of playing than Brady.

for me the big one is Brady. Seeing as how Belichick is about as forthcoming and helpful with information as the IRS, my guess is we will go down to the wire on this one. I'm also concerned about Tomlinson and Harrison, but I think they each have a better chanve of playing than Brady.
I also have Harrison and right now I have him on my bench. I just can't see the Colts playing their top guys more than one half and if Harrison is matched up against Bailey, I don't know how much he can get done in one half of work. I'm not 100 percent sold on sitting him, but as we sit here today that's what I'm planning on doing. It's tough to sit my WR1, but the good news there is I think it's much easier to find WR help than it is RB or QB help in these types of situations -- even when you're replacing a stud like Harrison. Look at last week when so many secondary WRs like Fitzgerald, Parker, Galloway and Stallworth all stepped up with either TDs, yardage or both.

Arizona, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, Miami, NY Giants, Oakland, San Francisco, Tampa Bay, Tennessee and Washington have been eliminated from playoff contention.Should be safe with all the teams above right...???tough call on the other games.....Got...Favre, James, Wayne, Heap.....not sure what to do with these guysgood post lets keep it bumped this week.......

Yeah, I have Favre, Dillon, and Wayne on my roster. I understand Dillon needs around 80 yards to get a 500,000 dollar bonus -- will Belichek let him try for it?? Will Favre just play long enough to keep the streak alive?? Will Indy really keep the starters in for a long time?? Arghhhh, I hate week 17 Super Bowls!! I guess the alternative is to not be good enough to get this far!

Shaun AlexanderHolmgren says he ain't playing the game any differently...sure hope he's right my championship depends on him or else i bench him for Betts...heck I might just start Betts over Rudi anyway.

Shaun AlexanderHolmgren says he ain't playing the game any differently...sure hope he's right my championship depends on him or else i bench him for Betts...heck I might just start Betts over Rudi anyway.
Did you see how bad the Eagles' run defense was last night? I think Betts is a nice option this week, but no way would I start him over Rudi.

from KFFL:Steelers to be Limited During Week 17Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Bill Cowher isn't saying QB Ben Roethlisberger (ribs) is out for Week 17, but he will not play during the team's Week 17 game due to bruised rib cartilage. He will not play until the team returns from their first-round Bye Week during the playoffs. Cowher said Roethlisberger will try to throw the football Wednesday, Dec. 29. "We'll see where he is at the end of the week," Cowher said. QB Tommy Maddox is expected to start during Week 17, replacing injured Roethlisberger during the game. RB Jerome Bettis (ankle) is doubtful for Week 17, but he will be available for the team's first playoff game. He is dealing with a sprained ankle. RB Duce Staley (hamstring) is questionable for Week 17, but he may return to the starting lineup during the game while sharing some action with RBs Verron Haynes and Willie Parker.

Alexander is a concern for me as well. I have Droughns and Kevin Jones so I have decent options but I would rather have Alexander going. If the Rams lose at 1 then the Seahawks don’t have anything to play for at 4.Right now I am leaning toward benching Alexander :loco:

Alexander is a concern for me as well. I have Droughns and Kevin Jones so I have decent options but I would rather have Alexander going. If the Rams lose at 1 then the Seahawks don’t have anything to play for at 4.Right now I am leaning toward benching Alexander :loco:
Why are you guys worried about Seattle? They haven't clinched their division yet as their loss coupled with a Ram's win makes them a road team in the first round. I guess they could see STL lose in the morning and make the decision to rest him but it doesn't seem as likely as some of the others.

Shaun AlexanderHolmgren says he ain't playing the game any differently...sure hope he's right my championship depends on him  or else i bench him for Betts...heck I might just start Betts over Rudi anyway.
Why are you guys worried about Seattle? They haven't clinched their division yet as their loss coupled with a Ram's win makes them a road team in the first round. I guess they could see STL lose in the morning and make the decision to rest him but it doesn't seem as likely as some of the others.
The Rams only scored 20 points off the Philly's 3rd string defense. If the Jets win. Which I think they will they Seattle has nothing to play for. Am I correct?

I think Seattle wants the home game and will play to win it.I think there are 3 categories of info useful here:1) Who's getting benched or yanked early2) Who will get better matchups because the opposition is benching it's stud defensive players (for example will Chad Johnson play better since Philly is presumably resting their top defenders).3) What non-playoff teams might be benching regulars in order to give a good look to younger players as they head into the offseason and think about next year.For me, the biggest question mark is Reggie Wayne. In a practical sense, though, as #2 WR is he going to have to play in obvious passing downs later in the game (how many WRs does Indy carry?)-QG

Shaun AlexanderHolmgren says he ain't playing the game any differently...sure hope he's right my championship depends on him  or else i bench him for Betts...heck I might just start Betts over Rudi anyway.
The Rams only scored 20 points off the Philly's 3rd string defense. If the Jets win. Which I think they will they Seattle has nothing to play for. Am I correct?
Correct. Which is why I am thinking about benching Alexander.I can't make lineup changes after the 1st kickoff on Sunday.I think the Jets are going to beat the Rams

rams play the early game...if they lose to NYJ (likely IMO) then seattle has nothing to play for when their late game starts...

So looking at the RB situations of the teams that have clinched, which of the following look like good potential starts this week?J. ChatmanC. CobbsV. HaynesW. ParkerN. DavenportT. FisherD. LevensJ. WrightD. RhodesAnyone else figure in the mix with those teams?We all have seen Chatman, Davenport, Levens, and Rhodes enough to see what they are capable of. I'm particularly interested in any feedback on the other guys that haven't seen much if any time this year.signed, Owner of Dillon, Westbrook, Edge.

my opponent has the chargers brees/tomlinson and chatman. so i'm interested in them from a resting pov. I have heap/kinney which is more from an injury point of view.

Vick is starting..Falcons | Vick to Start Week 17 - from www.KFFL.comTue, 28 Dec 2004 12:36:59 -0800ESPNews reports Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick (shoulder) will start during Week 17.Philip Rivers may play..Chargers | Rivers Could Play in Week 17 - from www.KFFL.comMon, 27 Dec 2004 17:09:01 -0800San Diego Chargers QB Philip Rivers could possibly play in Week 17.

LaDainian Tomlinson: Expected to Play Sunday RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.comTuesday, December 28, 2004Update: Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer has indicated that he will play his starters in Week 17 versus the Chiefs despite the fact that the outcome of the game has no bearing on his team's standings, the San Diego Union Tribune reports. Recommendation: "I don't think you can go into a game and say, 'We're not going to play these guys because they might get hurt,' " Schottenheimer said. "You have to make sure you're getting yourself ready to play and win." It sounds like the coach is serious about playing LT and the other starters, but it remains to be seen how long they will play, and it would not be a major shock to see the coach reverse his stance on Sunday.

Some more...Chargers: Marty ambiguous about playing time by Fanball Staff - Fanball.comTuesday, December 28, 2004NewsOn Monday, Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer offered little insight into his plans on how to handle Sunday's meaningless battle with the Chiefs. "I don't think you can go into a game like this and say you're not going to play these guys because they might get hurt." Marty told the North County Times. "You know, they might get hurt any other number of ways. So I think you have to make sure you are getting yourself ready to play and win. Now if we have players that may not be 100 percent healthy and if there is any concern they will be put at risk by playing, I don't think you would play them.''ViewsThe Times did report that Schottenheimer suggested that rookie quarterback Philip Rivers might see action, which leads us to believe that there's a very real possibility that Drew Brees, LaDainian Tomlinson, and Antonio Gates do not play the entire game. Throughout the season, the Chargers have played it very safe with injuries, opting to keep their starters out of practice all week to be cautious. Of course, the Bolts may not need an entire game to produce against the Chiefs. The recommendation here, without further information, is to use L.T. and Gates, but to reserve Brees and all other Charger weapons.

Colts: Starters will play against Broncos by Fanball Staff - Fanball.comTuesday, December 28, 2004NewsColts coach Tony Dungy will use his starters in Sunday's season finale against the Broncos. "We're going out there to win," Dungy told the Indianapolis Star. "We'd like to go [into the playoffs] with a nine-game winning streak. There are a lot of things that we want to do in terms of keeping that momentum and continuing to be sharp."ViewsDungy did not commit to playing his starters the entire game, but you should feel pretty comfortable about using them if your fantasy bowl is this weekend, as it's unlikely their appearances on Sunday will be token in nature. Dungy has a pair of events in his past that are likely driving him to keep his foot on the pedal. In 1999, the Colts wrapped up a first-round bye prior to week 17, then had an 11-game winning streak snapped by the Bills, 31-6. They were eliminated by Tennessee in their first playoff game two weeks later. In 1997, when Dungy was coaching in Tampa Bay, the Buccaneers hosted the Eagles in week 17, in which Dungy rested key personnel. The teams met again the following week in Philadelphia, and the Bucs were demolished 31-9, after which Dungy was fired.

Falcons: Duckett thinks he'll play by Fanball Staff - Fanball.comTuesday, December 28, 2004NewsFalcons' running back T.J. Duckett believes he'll be ready to play in Sunday's game against the Seahawks despite undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery less than two weeks ago, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "Yeah, I think so," Duckett said when asked if he will play Sunday.ViewsFalcons' head coach Jim Mora said his team will be playing to win when they face the Hawks on Sunday. However, we're still not convinced that injured starters such as Duckett, Michael Vick, and Alge Crumpler will play a full 60 minutes. All of those players are risky fantasy plays in week 17.

Eagles | McNabb to be Used Sparingly - from www.KFFL.comTue, 28 Dec 2004 18:48:03 -0800Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan McNabb, who was limited to just one offensive series in Week 16, will likely be used in the same role for Week 17's game against the Cincinnati Bengals, in order to prevent any type of injury from occurring, reports Dave Spadaro of PhiladelphiaEagles.com.

Oh my! This is putting my GM skills to the test. I have Favre, LT, Westbrook, Harrison... and Chatman, Levens, M Bennett, Driver ,Porter, and Bulger. Betts and Rhodes are available on the ww. Sure is funny that the team I built will probably have to see the bench while I run out some second stringers to try for the title and the cash. I wonder if Onterrio will be deactivated again this week. Levens against Cin. may be a good start- depending on if they decide to rest him for Mahe!!! Thats too much!Bennett v. Wash. could be tough along with Tice's unpredictability. Yet there is big play potential to be sure.Chatman is intriguing- but SD and IND are the two teams that seem to be talking about using the starters. It will have to be monitored.Betts could see alot of carries v Minn.- InterestingFavre and Harrison sitting???? Can it be true?Hopefully things will become clearer. Keep up the posts and good luck.

If the Jets beat the Rams at 1, does Seattle bench Alex??Cause I could start Betts at 1 to play it safe, but do you play it safe for the championship.No Alex or Portis would leave me starting:PepperBettsGoingsRudiHoltHeapGrahamTBYIKES!!

There seems to be some confusion on the Seattle situation. Here's the deal.

The Jets play in St. Louis at 1:00.

The Seahawks play at home at 4:00.

If Seattle is warming up before the game, and Holmgren knows that the Rams are going to lose to the Jets, SEATTLE HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO PLAY FOR at 4:00. If that happens, you can expect Dilfer and Mo Morris to see extensive playing time, if not start the game. This is especially true for Dilfer, given Hasselbeck's health concerns. The bottom line is, if you are an owner of Hasselbeck and Alexander, I would definitely make contingency plans if you have other options. Holmgren has been talking for the past few days about not doing anything differently this week, but if he knows that he has the NFC West locked up before they even take the field, his tune will change. He just witnessed how his buddy Andy Reid handled a similar situation on Monday night, so a precedent has already been set this season. Hass & Alexander are Holmgren's meal ticket... he's too smart to take any chances.

By the way, this scenario is entirely likely. The Rams could barely pull away from the Eagles 3rd stringers. I seriously doubt they are going to beat a fired up Jets team.

If the Jets beat the Rams at 1, does Seattle bench Alex??Cause I could start Betts at 1 to play it safe, but do you play it safe for the championship.
I would have no worries about Betts this week at home against the Vikings.100+ and a TD is entirely possible.

to those writing off the rams already, i agree that i think the jets are more likely to win, based on how the two respective teams have fared recently.i don't know if the line is a good proxy for how the game will go, but the line is currently -3 for the jets... not as high as i would have thought... even given that it is in st. louis.if others are thinking the same thing, than the line might go up... but still close enough that a pivotal turnover could be the difference... alas, for rams homers... they would be the team more likely to shoot themselves in the foot. it is good to be having the discussion, though... i also have alexander in one league, and need to dial in the starting lineup prior to the early game kickoffs.edit/add - a couple mitigating factors that COULD suggest an improved accounting of themselves by the rams... triggerman bulger was rusty after two missed games and might be a little sharper this week... b4 game it said he was 17-2 at home... make that 18-2 now, albeit unimpressively against the depleted eagles in the eerily pre-season like MNF game... he is just under .500 on the road, i think, but this is at home.also jackson may have looked good enough mon to wake even martz up & help him come to his senses, and feature the first rounder with more playing time that his talent & skills would seem to warrant & dictate.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah...this Alexander thing really has me worried..after that my other two RB's are W Dunn and C Cobbs...I have really good WR's so I'll probably only play 1 RB with a 4 WR set.I REALLY hope that St Louis can win the early game forcing Alexander toshred Atlanta.

Bro, relax. Pittman will be fine this week against his old team. I would not hesitate to play him over Dunn. Good luck.
Thanks :thumbup: I really needed to hear that, I stuck Pittman back into my starting line-up.My main concern, though, is that while Arizona gives up more rushing yards, Seattle's given up more rushing TDs, 17-12. It'd be nice if I oculd count on Gruden to throw to Pittman in the redzone, too, like they were doing moreso before... :football:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes! This one is killing me - My usual starting lineup may not play at all:ManningAlexanderGreenHarrisonWayneBurlesonThe only one I feel safe on is Burleson. Droughns over Green is easy, but then I gotta start digging the dregs - TGonz, DJax, Houshmandzadeh should all start and play, I just gotta figure matchups. If Alexander doesn't play, I'm in a world of hurt, I'm out of depth at RB. Anybody hear anything on Carson Palmer? I may have to go with him or Harrington over Manning.Val

FWIW, (and it may not be much), I heard Chris Mortenson say on Mike and Mike this morning that he expects Dungy to play Manning as he normally would this weekend and only pull him if the Denver defense is successful at pressuring his young guards and knocking him down. Because of the past history of the Colts in the playoffs after pulling players and Dungy's own experience of pulling players when seeding is clinched, he's apparently reluctant to pull anyone he doesn't have to according to Mort. He also stressed that the rhythm aspect of the Colts offense was a big part of it, and that Manning's not a guy who gets sacked often as is.I'm sweating this decision too b/c of a week 17 super bowl.

FWIW, (and it may not be much), I heard Chris Mortenson say on Mike and Mike this morning that he expects Dungy to play Manning as he normally would this weekend and only pull him if the Denver defense is successful at pressuring his young guards and knocking him down. Because of the past history of the Colts in the playoffs after pulling players and Dungy's own experience of pulling players when seeding is clinched, he's apparently reluctant to pull anyone he doesn't have to according to Mort. He also stressed that the rhythm aspect of the Colts offense was a big part of it, and that Manning's not a guy who gets sacked often as is.I'm sweating this decision too b/c of a week 17 super bowl.
Interesting. If true, this would make James, Harrison and Wayne more attractive this week as well obviously. As a Harrison owner I'd love to be able to start him this week and not worry about it - even if he's matched up against Bailey. Right now he's on my bench but this info has me starting to think otherwise.

With all the talk about seattle seems to center on Alexander and Hasselbeck. Any thoughts/rumors on whether they would also sit DJax to let Koren practice dropping the ball after his mid-season vacation?

With all the talk about seattle seems to center on Alexander and Hasselbeck. Any thoughts/rumors on whether they would also sit DJax to let Koren practice dropping the ball after his mid-season vacation?
Just a guess, but I'd have to think Robinson will play a lot even if the Seahawks have nothing to play for. They'll obviously need him in the playoffs and he needs the work. It'd be pretty stupid on Holmgren's part to rest him in my opinion.

Just a guess, but I'd have to think Robinson will play a lot even if the Seahawks have nothing to play for. They'll obviously need him in the playoffs and he needs the work. It'd be pretty stupid on Holmgren's part to rest him in my opinion.
My concern is about Darrell Jackson, not Koren Dropinson.

With all the talk about seattle seems to center on Alexander and Hasselbeck.  Any thoughts/rumors on whether they would also sit DJax to let Koren practice dropping the ball after his mid-season vacation?
I would think if the Seahawks start sitting people Jackson is one of the top guys who will sit.

With all the talk about seattle seems to center on Alexander and Hasselbeck.  Any thoughts/rumors on whether they would also sit DJax to let Koren practice dropping the ball after his mid-season vacation?
I would think if the Seahawks start sitting people Jackson is one of the top guys who will sit.
my guess would be hass too...he'll play enough to test his elbow and get back in sync, then sit ONLY if the rams lost to NYJ (which is likely and will result in SEA winning the west and earning a first round home game as the #4 seed)...dilfer looked bad last week but thanks to SA the seahawks pulled out a victory...on a plus side for dilfer; he seemed to be looking to only djax (but missed him terribly on a TD pass)...

my guess would be hass too...he'll play enough to test his elbow and get back in sync, then sit ONLY if the rams lost to NYJ (which is likely and will result in SEA winning the west and earning a first round home game as the #4 seed)...dilfer looked bad last week but thanks to SA the seahawks pulled out a victory...on a plus side for dilfer; he seemed to be looking to only djax (but missed him terribly on a TD pass)...
Just guessing, but I would think the following happens if the Seahawks have nothing to play for:Hasselbeck sitsAlexander sits or plays very sparinglyJackson sits or plays very sparinglyRobinson plays a lotRice plays sparinglyWith Jackson likely to sit and Rice probably sitting as well, that could make Bobby Engram a nice sleeper pick if you were hurting at WR.

Users who are viewing this thread