What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Officiating has ruined the NFL. (1 Viewer)

Are you guys arguing for the same thing and don't realize it? I could be wrong there.

Also, disregard my last post. I was reading the rule and basically not being able to tackle from behind. Makes sense now.

Are you guys arguing for the same thing and don't realize it? I could be wrong there.

Also, disregard my last post. I was reading the rule and basically not being able to tackle from behind. Makes sense now.

Not at all. He called my take idiotic.
I also played football.
Ya have, and you say that the hip drop is EXACT SAME THING as the horse collar with the purpose of intentionally trying to hurt the ball carrier.

YEAH, that’s what I SAID!!!!!! Played SAFETY and LINEBACKER!!!!! Rode the BENCH as a RB in COLLEGE and PLAYED two years of SEMI- pro!!!!!!!!!

WHY ARE WE YELLING and CALLING people IDIOTS today?

I know what the hip drop is, and it's putting your full body weight on the guys legs while riding him down to the ground. If you can outlaw the horse collar, you can outlaw this tackle. You pretty much put your full weight down upon and sit on another person's legs while grabbing them from the hips.

Of course, the new rule will require officiating judgment and people will howl about the erroneous application of the judgments offered. There will inevitably be "you can't tackle a guy anymore" sentiments offered by ex-jocks in broadcast booths everywhere. And they might be right given the Grady Jarrett/Tom Brady fiasco this year and what constituted driving a QB into the turf.

There will inevitably be "you can't tackle a guy anymore."
Next rule change.
Ask for consent before planning to tackle.
Every NFL player who has responded are balking at this proposed rule change.
Are they all defensive players?

Before we go any further, did you play ball?
Before we go any further, my question can be answered.

I was kidding.

I'm all for officials and the NFL wanting to get the call right on the field. But stopping play for 3-4 minutes at a time so the ref can jog over to a screen, put on a headset, watch the replays, then jog back and make an announcement is asinine in the year 2023. Have an extra official or two in a booth watching replays at the same speed as us at-home viewers, and give him a microphone and an earpiece to be able to talk to the ref. Have him hooked into the production crews camera feeds with an Xbox controller so he can pause, replay, rewind, flip between cameras and angles. If the sky judge sees something, he radios down to the ref to hold up a sec (if more review is needed) while he and partner rewind and replay, change angles, etc. and then he calls down with a simple "nope that's incomplete, 3rd down" and the ref calls it out and away we go. 15 seconds for review is all that's needed in a majority of cases.

There's a friggin microchip in every football. Have the sky judge sitting with the technology and seeing where the ball made it to. He radios to the ref to spot the ball at the X yard line. Started at the 27, now the chip says the ball is at the 37, first down lets keep it moving. So many plays are then spotted by a 50 year old man running in from a sideline and spotting the ball where he thinks it got to, but of course he couldn't see through 5 bodies to see where the ball actually got stopped. No reason in the world we need to sticks with a chain on them anymore.

USE THE TECHNOLOGY.

I'm all for officials and the NFL wanting to get the call right on the field. But stopping play for 3-4 minutes at a time so the ref can jog over to a screen, put on a headset, watch the replays, then jog back and make an announcement is asinine in the year 2023. Have an extra official or two in a booth watching replays at the same speed as us at-home viewers, and give him a microphone and an earpiece to be able to talk to the ref. Have him hooked into the production crews camera feeds with an Xbox controller so he can pause, replay, rewind, flip between cameras and angles. If the sky judge sees something, he radios down to the ref to hold up a sec (if more review is needed) while he and partner rewind and replay, change angles, etc. and then he calls down with a simple "nope that's incomplete, 3rd down" and the ref calls it out and away we go. 15 seconds for review is all that's needed in a majority of cases.

There's a friggin microchip in every football. Have the sky judge sitting with the technology and seeing where the ball made it to. He radios to the ref to spot the ball at the X yard line. Started at the 27, now the chip says the ball is at the 37, first down lets keep it moving. So many plays are then spotted by a 50 year old man running in from a sideline and spotting the ball where he thinks it got to, but of course he couldn't see through 5 bodies to see where the ball actually got stopped. No reason in the world we need to sticks with a chain on them anymore.

USE THE TECHNOLOGY.

They did pretty much all that with one of the recent alternative leagues.

I agree with you. The NFL makes ~20 BILLION dollars a year and their replay system is a 12” tablet. It’s comically amateur.

(Same with the NBA)

USE THE TECHNOLOGY.

Is there a chip in every body part except the feet and hands to know when the ball carrier is down? Otherwise we know where the ball is, but not when the player was down.

Users who are viewing this thread