What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Offseason FBG IDP Content Thread (see first post for links) (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
And we're off...

We're going to make this a catch-all call-out thread for all the stuff we're doing this summer. Strategy and review articles, face-offs and spotlights, all in one place. Nearly all content posted after July 15th will be subscriber only.

Strategy and Review Articles

Stadium Impact on Defensive Statistics -- August 24 (Aaron Rudnicki)

A ridiculously extensive look into how each team's stadium statisticians record unofficial defensive statistics, including solo/assisted tackles and passes defensed. A must read if you're looking for a little extra edge when making drafting/lineup decisions.

The Evolution of the Strong Safety -- August 24 (Larry Thomas aka Rozelle)

A deeper look into how the role of the safety is changing in the NFL and how you can stay ahead of the curve.

Bloom 100 -- Training Camp Edition -- August 22 (Sigmund Bloom)

The top 100 rookies, offensive and defense, broken down with Sig's discerning eye for fantasy talent.

IDP Top 200 Overall Updated (w/comments) -- August 22 (Aaron Rudnicki)

This Top 200 list was compiled using the consensus FBG staff rankings. ADP data is included for reference along with commentary on the top-100. This list will be updated periodically throughout the rest of the offseason.

Mission Impossible -- August 21 (Anthony Borbely)

Keeping with our "What's vexing you?" theme this week, Tony takes a look at some of the most difficult to rank IDPs this season. Specifically, what are you going to do about Julius Peppers, D.J. Williams, Keith Bulluck and Bernard Pollard.

Training Camp Report #4 -- August 20 (FBG Staff)

IDP Value Plays -- August 19 (IDP Staff)

IDP Overvalued Plays -- August 19 (IDP Staff)

IDP Deep Sleepers -- August 19 (IDP Staff)

The entire FBG IDP staff take a stand on the most undervalued and overvalued IDPs compared to their current ADP and call out some likely sleepers who might well outperform their current ADP.

Preseason Ear To The Ground -- August 18 (Bob Magaw)

A look at whether there are trends to be found in the age, draft position and defensive position of IDPs among the DL, LB and DB positions.

Understanding Dynasty Rankings -- August 17 (Anthony Borbely)

A in-depth look at the process of ranking IDPs in dynasty leagues, including a top 24+ by position.

A Look at the Ryan Effect Part 1 // Part 2 -- August 17 (Jene Bramel and Jeff Tefertiller)

A closer look at the defensive ideas and production of Rex and Rob Ryan. Some crossover appeal for both IDP and those other leagues.

Big Play IDP Strategy -- August 12 (Jene Bramel)

A little love for the under-appreciated big play IDPers. Some basic strategy thoughts and a few interesting targets to consider.

A Review of the NFL's Guideline to Defensive Statistics -- August 6 (Jene Bramel)

We were privileged to be granted access to a 30 minute video the NFL produced for its team statisticians in 2007. This article examines how the changes we saw in the unofficial tackle and passes defensed stats last year came about and why.

From the Gut (IDP) -- August 6 (Jene Bramel)

Adapted from the popular series written by David Dodds for the offensive side of the ball, this article is one IDP man's out-on-a-limb, take-a-stand, gut feelings on some big name and under-the-radar defensive players.

The Ultimate Guide to NFL Defense -- August 2 (Jene Bramel)

In-depth historical review and playbook discussion of all the relevant schemes in the NFL today. Plenty of stories and diagrams throughout. IDP asides liberally sprinkled in. Covers the most common variations of the 4-3 and 3-4, hybrids, the Tampa-2, the zone blitz, 46 and some nickel variations.

Eyes of the Guru -- NFC -- August 2 (John Norton)

Part 2 of Norton's comprehensive IDP review and preview.

Training Camp Report #1 -- July 30 (FBG Staff)

First of five camp reports to be published during the NFL preseason. Each report will include a review of the previous week's IDP news.

Eyes of the Guru -- AFC -- July 16 (John Norton)

The long-running, industry standard, comprehensive review and preview of all things IDP. Not enough room to summarize this magnum opus. Just read it.

Average Magazine Rankings -- LB (Clayton Gray) -- July 14

Average Magazine Rankings -- DB (Clayton Gray) -- July 14

Average Magazine Rankings -- DL (Clayton Gray) -- July 14

We'll have better ADP data for IDP leagues in upcoming versions of the DD, but this may help those of you with early redrafts. Clayton compiled an average rank list of four fantasy football magazines to use as another drafting tool. The rankings probably went to press (as ours did) in late April, but they may still be helpful if you're drafting against a bunch of magazine readers.

Breaking Down NFL Defenses -- June 26 (John Norton)

There was some discussion about Norton's EOTG summer opus yesterday, but this one has been revised and published nearly as often over the years and is a must read for all IDP newbies (and vets). Many, many IDP owners have benefited from this one over the years and it was the article that spawned my severe and unrelenting case of scheme :nerd:ery. It's a must read, especially since it's outside the subscriber curtain this year.

Reading the Defense Offseason Report -- June 26 (Jene Bramel)

Those of you who have been around since February may not find much new in this article, but it reviews the offseason coaching changes and major player movement, adds a few player tidbits outside of those changes and ends with an extended section about the DB collapse of 2007.

IDP Dynasty Case Study and accompanying Forum thread -- June 5 (Anthony Borbely)

Blow-by-blow recap of an all-out rebuilding project.

Spotlights

DE Trent Cole (Sigmund Bloom) -- August 8

DE Jason Taylor (Jene Bramel) -- August 8

ILB Will Witherspoon (Dave Baker) -- August 8

OLB Freddy Keiaho (Bob Magaw) -- August 8

S Michael Lewis (Jeff Pasquino) -- August 8

S Bob Sanders (Aaron Rudnicki) -- August 8

DT Darnell Dockett (Dave Baker) -- July 16

DT Tommy Kelly (Sigmund Bloom) -- August 4

DE Andre Carter (Jeff Pasquino) -- July 16

DE Elvis Dumervil (Aaron Rudnicki) -- July 12

DE Charles Grant (Aaron Rudnicki) -- July 21

DE Tamba Hali (Anthony Borbely) -- July 12

DE Leonard Little (Jene Bramel) -- July 21

DE Aaron Schobel (John Norton) -- July 12

DE Terrell Suggs (Aaron Rudnicki) -- August 4

DE Justin Tuck (Jeff Pasquino) -- July 12

ILB Jon Beason (Jeff Pasquino)-- July 21

OLB Michael Boley (Aaron Rudnicki) -- July 12

OLB Keith Bulluck (Bob Magaw) -- July 16

OLB Karlos Dansby (Jene Bramel) -- July 12

OLB Omar Gaither (Dave Baker) -- August 4

ILB Gary Brackett (Jeff Pasquino) -- August 4

ILB D'Qwell Jackson (Jene Bramel) -- July 16

ILB Kirk Morrison (Bob Magaw) -- July 12

ILB Mike Peterson (John Norton) -- July 12

OLB D.J. Williams (Anthony Borbely) -- July 21

S Atari Bigby (Jene Bramel) -- August 4

S Chris Harris (Aaron Rudnicki) -- July 12

S LaRon Landry (Sigmund Bloom) -- July 12

S Troy Polamalu (Anthony Borbely) -- July 16

CB Leigh Bodden (Jene Bramel) -- July 12

CB Brandon Flowers (Bob Magaw) -- August 4

CB Marlin Jackson (Aaron Rudnicki) -- July 16

CB Darrelle Revis (Bob Magaw) -- July 21

CB Antrel Rolle (Jene Bramel) -- July 21

CB Charles Tillman (Jene Bramel) -- July 12

Face-Offs

ILB Zach Thomas (Bramel and Magaw) -- August 6

CB Richard Marshall (Bloom and Rudnicki) -- August 4

S Bernard Pollard (Magaw and Borbely) -- August 6

S Kerry Rhodes (Baker and Magaw) -- August 6

S Madieu Williams (Rudnicki and Bramel) -- August 4

DE Gaines Adams (Bramel and Norton) -- August 1

DE Derrick Burgess (Norton and Pasquino) -- August 1

DE Patrick Kerney (Rudnicki and Bloom) -- June 27

DE Chris Long (Magaw and Borbely) -- July 7

DE Adewale Ogunleye (Pasquino and Bramel) -- July 25

DE Julius Peppers (Norton and Pasquino) -- June 27

ILB Stewart Bradley (Bramel and Rudnicki) -- July 25

ILB Channing Crowder (Bramel and Bloom) -- July 25

ILB Jordan Dizon (Borbely and Rudnicki) -- July 22

ILB David Harris (Rudnicki and Borbely) -- July 16

ILB E.J. Henderson (Magaw and Rudnicki) -- June 20

ILB Curtis Lofton (Magaw and Bramel) -- July 22

ILB Jerod Mayo (Bramel and Baker) -- July 16

ILB Antonio Pierce (Bloom and Magaw) -- July 16

ILB Paul Posluszny (Bramel and Bloom) -- July 22

ILB Jonathan Vilma (Norton and Bloom) -- June 20

CB Antonio Cromartie (Bloom and Bramel) -- August 1

S O.J. Atogwe (Magaw and Bramel) -- June 27

S Roman Harper (Bramel and Bloom) -- July 7

S Chris Hope (Baker and Pasquino) -- June 20

S Chinedum Ndukwe (Pasquino and Bloom) -- July 16

S Kenny Phillips (Norton and Rudnicki) -- July 7

Last edited by a moderator:
Face-offs on Chris Long, Roman Harper and Kenny Phillips posted today.
Jene, links don't work on home page.
Yep. There's an extra hyphen in the URL, I think. There don't let us minions anywhere near the front page, so the bosses are on it. The links in the first post of this thread should always be good.ETA: Links on the front page are now good.

Added links to the first full batch of IDP Spotlights (released earlier this week if you missed them) and to Clayton Gray's series compiling the average rankings of some of the more popular fantasy football magazines (not including FBG).

Also, rumor has it that the first edition of the Eyes of the Guru summer opus is on its way shortly, as well as another grouping of face-offs and spotlights.

All content released prior to July 15th will remain free all summer long. The vast majority of new content released after today will be subscriber only, though we'll continue to link the articles in the first page of this thread.

And while we're teasing the hotness of FBG, we were able to get access to the NFL's guidelines to scoring unofficial defensive statistics. Look for an article summarizing those in the very near future.

IDP Top 200 Overall (w/comments) - July 20 (Rudnicki)

This Top 200 list was compiled using the consensus FBG staff rankings. I also included ADP data for reference and some commentary on the top-50. This list will be updated periodically throughout the rest of the offseason.

IDP Top 200 Overall (w/comments) - July 20 (Rudnicki)

This Top 200 list was compiled using the consensus FBG staff rankings. I also included ADP data for reference and some commentary on the top-50. This list will be updated periodically throughout the rest of the offseason.
:lol: The column showing the difference between the FBG consensus and ADP rankings highlights some pretty interesting under- and over-valued players.Six new IDP spotlights added this afternoon.

CHRISTMAS IN JULY AGAIN!!!!!!

The AFC installment of Norton's EOTG linked here and in the first post.
Love EOTG, but no mention of Anthony Waters in SD at all? :kicksrock:
Yeah, this was the biggest oversight I saw as well. I also saw where Nate Webster was splitting MLB reps in OTAs with Niko.

I also read some good pre-draft info on the Broncos SS draftee Josh Barrett and no mention there, but not all late rounders deserve a mention. I'm just saying they need an upgrade.

Three new face-offs (Gaines Adams, Derrick Burgess and Antonio Cromartie) linked on the front page and first post of this thread.

Awesome work guys. If there is a better IDP source out there, I sure as hell would like to know about it.

:coffee:

Thats RIGHT!! There ISN'T a better source for IDP information. You guys ROCK!! :bs: :headbang:

Those of you who hang around the Forum in January and February will recognize much of The Ultimate Guide to NFL Defense from the series I wrote earlier this year, but I've adapted the Discussing Defensive Schemes series to a stand alone article with some in-depth IDP asides. For those of you who missed it, it's an indepth look at all the relevant schemes (4-3 and 3-4 variations, zone blitz, 46, nickel, etc, etc) in the NFL right now with a lot of historical stories and playbook diagrams.

Jene Bramel said:
Those of you who hang around the Forum in January and February will recognize much of The Ultimate Guide to NFL Defense from the series I wrote earlier this year, but I've adapted the Discussing Defensive Schemes series to a stand alone article with some in-depth IDP asides. For those of you who missed it, it's an indepth look at all the relevant schemes (4-3 and 3-4 variations, zone blitz, 46, nickel, etc, etc) in the NFL right now with a lot of historical stories and playbook diagrams.
This article is :confused:

First of five monster training camp reports released tonight.

Each report will include IDP reviews. First report is free, the following four reports will be subscriber only.
Purchase the Full Subscription

Purchase a Camp Update subscription for $8.95 which will give you access to the next 4 camp update reports when they are available each Thursday.
Is this in addition to the regular subscription?
No, the full subscription gets you access to the camp reports and everything else behind the curtain -- all Drinen's tools, the $35,000 contest, the Draft Dominator and all the weekly content.

We're at it again folks.

Three new faceoffs, Training Camp Report #2, a review of the NFL's Guidelines for Defensive Statistics, and a From the Gut for IDPs released today. All are linked in the first post.

And that's not all. A sleeper/undervalued opus is on the way, along with our final six spotlights, an extensive look at team statistics by Aaron Rudnicki, and some cool data crunching by Bob Magaw, along with some other stuff I don't even know about I'm sure.

Hey Jene and IDP crew, thanks for the info provided in here. I just read the NFL Guidelines for Defensive Stats. That is some great stuff for newbie IDP players like myself.

If you'll excuse the extra pinned thread for a few weeks, I think this one deserves top billing during August. There's some seriously good stuff to be found here throughout July and it'll continue through August.

A little love for our big play IDPers out there -- some basic big play strategy thoughts with a couple of interesting targets for upcoming drafts.

IDP Big Play Strategy

Still to come over the next ten days (titles are my own):

IDP Value Plays (Staff)

Ear to the Ground: Preseason Edition (Magaw)

A Deeper Look at IDP Dynasty Rankings (Borbely)

Mission Impossible: Toughest IDP Ranks (Borbely)

Rookie Update (Bloom)

Correlating Pedigree/Age Data and IDP Rankings (Magaw)

Examining Differences in Unofficial Defensive Statistics (Rudnicki)

:thumbup:

Tony takes an in-depth look at the process of ranking IDPs in dynasty leagues and then walks through his late summer rankings step-by-step.

Understanding Dynasty Rankings

--------

Also, Jeff Tefertiller and I took a closer look at the defenses and production of the Ryan brothers. Two part article with some crossover appeal for IDPers -- Part 1 // Part 2.

Users who are viewing this thread