What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OK, pick the new coaches (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Wood

Zoo York
Let's talk about which coaches are going to land where...in one central thread. As of today, who do you see taking over the following HC and OC/DC jobs?

Head Coaches

Washington -- Snyder wants a marquee name, he settles for Kirk Ferentz (which turns out to be a better hire than most thought)

Chicago -- Nick Saban, a personal Angelo friend, takes the money and runs after LSU wins the BCS Championship
New York Giants -- Tom Coughlin, after interviewing a few more candidates, they bring Coughlin back to the family, the anti-Fassel
Arizona -- Charlie Weis, he's ready for a job and will happily take the opportunity even for one of the less appealling jobs on the market
Oakland -- Denny Green, Al Davis makes a splash AND gets props for hiring another black coach (he was the first to do so remember)
Atlanta -- Lovie Smith, pretty much a no brainer with McKay taking over IMHO
Buffalo -- Jim Fassel, has handled veteran teams before, will manage the QB situation well, and is a high character guyCoordinator Positions

Jets Defensive Coordinator -- Rod Marinelli, TB assistant, friend and former colleague of Edwards, can implement the Cover 2 the way Edwards wants
Cleveland Offensive Coordinator -- Norm Chow, not because I think it'll happen, but because I think it SHOULD happen :)
Minnesota Defensive Coordinator -- Dave McGinnis, wanted to hire Tice as his OC if he got the Chicago job, admitted a week or two ago that he could work for Tice if given the chanceAlso feel free to rattle off your thoughts on the OC/DCs that will be needed for the new HC staffes as well...

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Woodsy, where's Chow now? That name sounds familar, very familar to me.I'd think Gregg Williams gets a DC job somewhere. Also expect McGinnis to land in Minny as their new DC. I'd think that if Arizona passes on Green and Bidwill probably would because he's another cheap SOB, then Green returning to the bay area only makes sense.

Woodsy, where's Chow now? That name sounds familar, very familar to me.I'd think Gregg Williams gets a DC job somewhere. Also expect McGinnis to land in Minny as their new DC. I'd think that if Arizona passes on Green and Bidwill probably would because he's another cheap SOB, then Green returning to the bay area only makes sense.
Norm Chow and Jeff Tedford are the two guys, along with Ferentz and Saban, who need to get into the NFL somehow. Tedford is Cal's head coach and Chow is USC's offensive coordinator. Both are bona fide QB gurus, great choices for teams looking to groom a young offense. No one is going to convince me they aren't worth a look in a league that employs (or employed ;) ) the likes of John Shoop, Paul Hackett, Matt Cavanaugh, Marc Trestman and Bill Musgrave.Cheers

how much truth to the rumor that herman edwards leaves nyj and heads south to hotlanta to hook up with mckay?

how much truth to the rumor that herman edwards leaves nyj and heads south to hotlanta to hook up with mckay?
I don't think that happens, Edwards just fired Cottrell and is signed to a contract. The Jets would absolutely want compensation for him, and the Falcons have other viable options. Let's not confuse Edwards with Andy Reid or Bill Belichick.Cheers

As a Giants homer, I have a feeling we end up with Weis or Crennel. I beleive both are from within the family and personally would rather see Weis, just bc of good things I've heard about him. What interests me is the Lovie Smith interview today. I personally, don't see him as such defensive genius that he warrants a promotion, but we'll see. I also think Coughlin is a bad fit here. The guys the Giants have (ie Strahan, Barber, Toomer) don't seem like they're the type of guys to repond positively to an in your face coach who motivates by being a #####.

Chicago -- Nick Saban, a personal Angelo friend, takes the money and runs after LSU wins the BCS Championship
I don't think Saban leaves, BCS victory or not. He's got his little kingdom down there that would be really tough to give up. Plus, he's making more than most NFL coaches, so money won't be a factor. I hate the man, as he left my Spartans in a lerch, so doing the same to LSU wouldn't be a suprise, but my money says he stays.

I hear Mike Mularky is having a meeting with Atlanta. I'd like to see him get a shot somewhere even with a sub par season with the Steelers.Edit to add: Is Callahan going to get fired?

I hear Mike Mularky is having a meeting with Atlanta. I'd like to see him get a shot somewhere even with a sub par season with the Steelers.
Oh man... as a Vick dynasty owner, I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see Mularkey running the offense!I was hoping for Denny Green, but it doesn't appear that's going to happen. But M.M. would be just as good for Vick's fantasy development, as far as I'm concerned.

If Lovie Smith got the Atlanta gig, any idea who his likely OC would be?

As a Cardinal's fan I would like to see us hire a no nonsense guy that turns good talent into great talent, and teamwork, ala Parcells. Problem is there are not many out there and Bidwill will not pay top dollar for players much less a coach (except for the $25 million for Plummer, to try and buy the stadium). We even screwed up getting Eli by winning a game we had no reason winning. Fassel's name is surfacing here, so we will see, but I am not convinced he is the guy to turn this team around. He has better talent with Giants, and won the same number of games.

# Chicago -- Nick Saban, a personal Angelo friend, takes the money and runs after LSU wins the BCS Championship
I don't think Saban leaves, BCS victory or not. He's got his little kingdom down there that would be really tough to give up. Plus, he's making more than most NFL coaches, so money won't be a factor. I hate the man, as he left my Spartans in a lerch, so doing the same to LSU wouldn't be a suprise, but my money says he stays.
I don't think Saban is going anywhere. If LSU wins the BCS Championship Saban becomes the highest paid college coach, making $1 more than the current highest paid coach. I think that would be somewhere between $2.5 and $3 million.

Oakland -- Denny Green, Al Davis makes a splash AND gets props for hiring another black coach (he was the first to do so remember)

Coordinator Positions

Cleveland Offensive Coordinator -- Norm Chow, not because I think it'll happen, but because I think it SHOULD happen :)
There is no way Denny Green would work for Al Davis and there is no way Al Davis would hire Denny Green. It's not overly likely, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see Art Shell back there. I HATE the Raiders, but I thought he did a respectable job his first go around.Also sorry, but Norm Chow will be a head coach in college somewhere. I do agree with you, he would be a great coordinator.

For the Redskins, I think most name coaches will turn Snyder down. I doubt Snyder will go to the college ranks. There are many qualified assistant coaches who would put up with whatever Snyder wants in order to be a head coach if they are not getting other offers. So I think that is where the next Redskins head coach will come from.

Great stuff as always Woody! :thumbup: See it's posts like this that allow me to sound so in-tuned with everything when one of my friends asks me the same question. Credit in advance goes to you J-Wood. I have to be honest, I can't tell you nearly as much info about up and coming O/D coordinators as this post did. I don't know many people who can.

I was listening to NY sports radio last night and they do an hour with Jets GM Terry Bradway. He was talking about how difficult it was to let Teddy Cottrell go, for Bradway personally because Cottrell was a finalist for the head coaching vacancy when the ended up hiring Edwards. Bradway went on to say that Teddy was very concerned about what his firing will do to his chances of being a head coach, and Bradway said that while he thought Teddy would be a head coach some day, he probably would have to land somewhere as a DC and prove himself a bit first.He also talked about the decision to NOT fire OC Paul Hackett and while he didn't come out and say it directly, it seemed as though he disagreed with Herm's decision to retain Hackett. Bradway went on a mini tirade about how the offensive production was completely unacceptable, and mentioned that the Jets were the first team in the 16 game era to have a 1,000 yard rusher and 1,000 receiver yet fail to score 300 points. Kind of an meaningless stat to pull out but he mentioned it three times and said that was proof positive that the offense has to be more productive with the players they've got.As to when they would hire a new DC, he mentioned that they were denied permission to talk to quite a few candidates because they're still in the playoffs. He figures Herm won't make a decision until after the playoffs, depending on how far the candidates get in the playoff hunt obviously.Cheers

That's just not Al's style. For the msot part he goes after young assistant coaches. With the exception of Joe Bugel (what a mistake that was) Al tends to hire people with no NFL Head coaching experience. (Probably has something to do with the way Al got his head coaching job with the Raiders.)

I heard on the radio around here that the list for coach in DC is a very short list that consists of Dennis Green, Jim Fassel and Ray Rhodes...

That's just not Al's style. For the msot part he goes after young assistant coaches. With the exception of Joe Bugel (what a mistake that was) Al tends to hire people with no NFL Head coaching experience. (Probably has something to do with the way Al got his head coaching job with the Raiders.)
You could be right, although I noticed that ESPN the Mag mentioned Denny Green in an article in the NEXT issue last week (just got around to reading it on my bus ride into the city).If Green doesn't land in Oaktown, I'd bet on Jeff Tedford...West Coast guy, GB Guru, etc...

Cheers

Green in DC sounds good, but how much power will he have with Snyder? I don't think enough for him to take the job...

A little background on Norm Chow please?Today the locals are reporting Ted Tollner as the lead for OC in Cleveland. If you remember, that is who Butch wanted three years ago. Of course it depends on who gets head coaching spots, but rumors are afloat that Browns WR coach Terry Robiskie, formarly with Washington, will be offered OC somewhere. So he is a strong candidate to get hired within. He is well liked and respected in the game.

A little background on Norm Chow please?Today the locals are reporting Ted Tollner as the lead for OC in Cleveland. If you remember, that is who Butch wanted three years ago. Of course it depends on who gets head coaching spots, but rumors are afloat that Browns WR coach Terry Robiskie, formarly with Washington, will be offered OC somewhere. So he is a strong candidate to get hired within. He is well liked and respected in the game.
Chow is USC's OC and was credited with turning around Carson Palmer's career. Prior to that he held the same role at NC State (can anyone say Phil Rivers, Freshmen All American?)...and spent almost three decades prior to that in various offensive coaching roles with BYU. He was the guy who taught Steve Young, Ty Detmer, Jim McMahon, etc... how to play their position.Cheers

A little background on Norm Chow please?Today the locals are reporting Ted Tollner as the lead for OC in Cleveland.  If you remember, that is who Butch wanted three years ago.  Of course it depends on who gets head coaching spots, but rumors are afloat that Browns WR coach Terry Robiskie, formarly with Washington, will be offered OC somewhere.  So he is a strong candidate to get hired within.  He is well liked and respected in the game.
Chow is USC's OC and was credited with turning around Carson Palmer's career. Prior to that he held the same role at NC State (can anyone say Phil Rivers, Freshmen All American?)...and spent almost three decades prior to that in various offensive coaching roles with BYU. He was the guy who taught Steve Young, Ty Detmer, Jim McMahon, etc... how to play their position.Cheers
Do you think he'd take a coaching job in College before a coordinator job in the NFL?Nebraska should be checking this guy out.

Head Coaches

Washington -- Snyder wants a marquee name, he settles for Kirk Ferentz (which turns out to be a better hire than most thought)

New York Giants -- Tom Coughlin, after interviewing a few more candidates, they bring Coughlin back to the family, the anti-Fassel
Arizona -- Charlie Weis, he's ready for a job and will happily take the opportunity even for one of the less appealling jobs on the market
Buffalo -- Jim Fassel, has handled veteran teams before, will manage the QB situation well, and is a high character guy
Seems everyone thinks its a forgone conclusion that L. Smith ends up in Atlanta. I know there is a McKay connection, but I don't see it as a sure thing. L. Smith does seem like a big enough name that Snyder will consider him in Washington as well. But, I haven't seen Jim Mora Jr.'s name thrown around yet. I know that Atlanta has requested permission of the 49ers to bring him in ... Here ...So for kicks and speculation's sake ...

Atlanta -- Jim Mora Jr.

Washington -- L. Smith

A little background on Norm Chow please?Today the locals are reporting Ted Tollner as the lead for OC in Cleveland.  If you remember, that is who Butch wanted three years ago.  Of course it depends on who gets head coaching spots, but rumors are afloat that Browns WR coach Terry Robiskie, formarly with Washington, will be offered OC somewhere.  So he is a strong candidate to get hired within.  He is well liked and respected in the game.
Do you think he'd take a coaching job in College before a coordinator job in the NFL?Nebraska should be checking this guy out.
There's a history to Chow, many thought he was the rightful successor at BYU when Lavell Edwards retired, but for reasons that are left to debate, he was looked over and left after 27 years at the school. I think he would kill (actually as a Mormon, he probably wouldn't :) ) for a shot at the BYU gig. Not sure he's the kind of guy who dreams of NFL riches or fame, he seems to be genuinely interested in the teaching aspect of coaching. It would probably take a lot to lure him from USC where he not only has a great program and great salary, but the USC recruiting machine means he'll have some of the best, if not the best, QB prospects to work with every year.Cheers

Len Pasquarelli has made his own thoughts known in this article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1697489

It's a darn good read, it talks about each team's cap situation, talent level, whom he thinks they should hire, and whom they WILL hire. I won't reprint the entire article, but here are his thoughts on what each team SHOULD and WILL do...

Arizona Cardinals -- Should (Denny Green), Will (Denny Green)

Atlanta Falcons -- Should (Nick Saban), Will (Lovie Smith)
Buffalo Bills -- Should (Fassel or Coughlin), Will (Tom Coughlin)
Chicago Bears -- Should (Saban or Ferentz), Will (Jim Fassel)
New York -- Should (Crennel or Coughlin), Will (Crennel)
Oakland -- Should (Denny Green), Will (Neuheisel or Carthon)
Washington -- Should (Fassel), Will (Ray Rhodes :eek: )Cheers!

My take at the moment:Oakland---- Denny Green would be the logical choice, since he lives in the Bay Area, but Al won't hire someone who will demand as much personnel control like Green does. My guess is he hires a young up-and-comer, Cal Coach Jeff Tedford. A rising superstar out of the Jon Gruden mold, who developed Kyle Boller into a first round pick. Makes sense if they take Eli Manning at 1.02. Chicago---Charlie Weis, NE Offenxive Coordinator. The McCaskeys are notoriously tight-fisted, and will not pay huge dollars to a big-name coach, period. They will want an offensive-minded guy to develop Grossman, which eliminates Romeo Crennel for this job. Arizona---Romeo Crennel. Working for tightwad Bill Bidwill is not the most desirable of jobs, but finally Romeo gets his much-deserved shot at being the main man for an NFL franchise. Lots of luck with this chicken-#### organization. NY Giants-- Tom Coughlin is the front-runner for the job. Tom the Tyrant is going to make the players hate him, but they'll play for him. He's proven that he can turn an underperforming team around quickly before. Washington-- Denny Green. Synder loves big names, and offensive-minded coaches. Denny knows offense. Atlanta-- Rich McKay has worked with Ram DC Lovie Smith in Tampa Bay, and likes him a great deal. Smith has demonstrated an innate ability to revamp defenses, and that talent is sorely needed here. Buffalo- Jim Fassel. I think Bills GM Tom Donahoe will bring Fassel here to right the ship for the Buffalo franchise. Fassel's skill as an offensive coordiniator are needed to help Drew Bledsoe and company revive this offense.

Some reports in NY have said that Coughlin's interview with NYG did not go well. It was said that his answers regarding questions involving coach/player relationships in Jax did not sit well with Giants execs. Then again, other reports say the inty went fine. God I hope they don't hire him....wrong fit for this team IMO.

Some reports in NY have said that Coughlin's interview with NYG did not go well. It was said that his answers regarding questions involving coach/player relationships in Jax did not sit well with Giants execs. Then again, other reports say the inty went fine. God I hope they don't hire him....wrong fit for this team IMO.
I think the fact that they brought him in during the regular season while Fassel was still finishing out his string indicates that he was their first choice. Whether or not they were unimpressed remains to be seen. They could very well have already decided to hire him but, under current NFL rules, they need to interview a few other candidates including a few minority options.Cheers

I like that Atlanta is trying to build a winner but going with a defensive coach might be a mistake. Vick is still developing and if they added another reciever and finally chose either Duckett or Dunn they could put a pretty special unit on the field. Like I said before I heard Mularkey is interviewing in Atl I'm really hoping he get's a shot somewhere and I think he may fit well there.

Let's talk about which coaches are going to land where...in one central thread. As of today, who do you see taking over the following HC and OC/DC jobs?

Head Coaches

Buffalo -- Jim Fassel, has handled veteran teams before, will manage the QB situation well, and is a high character guyCoordinator Positions

Jets Defensive Coordinator -- Rod Marinelli, TB assistant, friend and former colleague of Edwards, can implement the Cover 2 the way Edwards wants
Minnesota Defensive Coordinator -- Dave McGinnis, wanted to hire Tice as his OC if he got the Chicago job, admitted a week or two ago that he could work for Tice if given the chanceAlso feel free to rattle off your thoughts on the OC/DCs that will be needed for the new HC staffes as well...

Cheers
Ahh, I love speculation!Wash: Hard to say, I'm thinking Green goes here, if not, Ferentz would be a good fit, and you're right Wood, He's better than many think.

Chicago: I have my doubts about Saban, He's got it too good at LSU. I think Fassel gets this gig. And I think he'll do well in Chitown.

Giants: I hadn't thought about Coughlin, that would be a GREAT fit IMHO. I agree, he's the man in NY.

Zona: Jim Johnson, Eagles. I have a sneaky suspicion he goes there. I haven't heard anyone on this board bring up his name.

Oakland: I have NO clue. I seriously think most smart coaches would run away from the Raiders. Too many egos and holes to fill.

Atlanta: Agreed, Lovie will coach the Falcons in '04.

Buffalo: Ferentz, if he doesn't go to Wash for more money than the Bills are willing to pay. I think Fassel, Weis and Green are in the mix for this one as well. If I'm wrong about Chicago, then Fassel goes to Buff.

As a Jets fan, I hope you're right about Marinelli. I think he'd be a good fit. I felt all season that the Jets D was better than they were playing, I was happy to see Cotrell go.

As for the Herm Edwards speculation, don't bother with it. He's a Jet for a while after they turn things around significantly in 2004.

I'll give this a shot. I don't know a great deal about each team but what the heck. Giants: Crennel gets hired here. Just don't think Coughlin is going to be here although I do think he could turn this team around.Redskins: Fassel goes here. It's certinly not the ideal situation but neither was NYG. Plus he's used to always having his job on the line. This place would probably have the best talent for him to work with plus some other big name FA's will probably be brought in. Begins with a C ends in an O and in the middle is hicag (little SNL humor :D ): Charie Weis gets his shot here. He's got some ok offensive weapons to work with and wouldn't be has costly to bring in Saben. I don't know a lot about the Bears inner workings so this is just a guess. Hotlanta: Lovie Smith is the obvious. I'm rooting for an offensive mind to go here but it seems like they really want a defensive guy.Oakland: Probably take on a college guy like Ferentz. I can't see Denny Green here but he would fit in better then most think. Arizona: Dennis Green. I think he could develop a real good combo of with Roethlisberger/Boldin or Manning/Boldin. Maybe Arizona will spend a little money too because of that new stadium. Buffalo: I honestly have no clue. Saben at a guess. :lol: I really don't know. How bout Mike Mularky. :D Edit to add: Coughlin goes here. Forgot about him.Also ESPN is mentioning Ray Rhodes for the Redskins job. LOL at that.

There's a history to Chow, many thought he was the rightful successor at BYU when Lavell Edwards retired, but for reasons that are left to debate, he was looked over and left after 27 years at the school. I think he would kill (actually as a Mormon, he probably wouldn't :) ) for a shot at the BYU gig. Not sure he's the kind of guy who dreams of NFL riches or fame, he seems to be genuinely interested in the teaching aspect of coaching. It would probably take a lot to lure him from USC where he not only has a great program and great salary, but the USC recruiting machine means he'll have some of the best, if not the best, QB prospects to work with every year.Cheers
Thanks guys, thats good stuff. Sounds like Chow would be a very nice fit here in Ctown. I'd still put my money on Robiskie, I just hope Ariens didn't rub off on him too much.

I think little Danny brings Fossil to DC.

NY Daily News

Jim Fassel is suddenly one of the hottest commodities on the NFL coaching market. And Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder is making sure he gets to the ex-Giants coach first.

Knowing Fassel was scheduled to interview with the Arizona Cardinals on Saturday, Snyder has decided to fly his private plane out to California to meet with Fassel either today or tomorrow. Fassel is in San Francisco, where he watched his son Mike play for Boston College in the San Francisco Bowl last night, and he had told Snyder he wouldn't be able to come to Washington until some time next week.

That wasn't good enough for the impetuous Redskins owner who lost his coach Tuesday when Steve Spurrier resigned. Perhaps fearing the Cards would make an offer to Fassel when they interview him over the weekend in Tempe, Snyder insisted on taking the first shot.

"Obviously they feel a little bit of urgency," Fassel's agent, Steve Rosner, said last night.

Rosner said Fassel is "intrigued" by the idea of coaching the Redskins, and coaching against the Giants twice every year. Washington may be the only place Fassel could come close to getting near the $2.7 million he's due from the Giants next season. After all, Spurrier's five-year, $25 million contract was the richest deal an NFL coach had ever received.

Fassel's name sits atop a very short list for the Redskins, who were attempting yesterday to set up an interview with former Vikings coach Dennis Green. They also got permission from Seattle to interview defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes.

When i saw Rick Neuheisels name thrown around for NFL jobs my initial reaction was, "he will be a steal for somebody..." then i came to and realized he has zero commitment to the run, and defense. I thinkit would be a mistake for Oakland to hire him, but there are not many hot coaches up for these six or seven jobs. Ray Rhodes being thrown around as a viable candidate is a sad thought.

I think little Danny brings Fossil to DC.

NY Daily News

Jim Fassel is suddenly one of the hottest commodities on the NFL coaching market. And Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder is making sure he gets to the ex-Giants coach first.

Knowing Fassel was scheduled to interview with the Arizona Cardinals on Saturday, Snyder has decided to fly his private plane out to California to meet with Fassel either today or tomorrow. Fassel is in San Francisco, where he watched his son Mike play for Boston College in the San Francisco Bowl last night, and he had told Snyder he wouldn't be able to come to Washington until some time next week.

That wasn't good enough for the impetuous Redskins owner who lost his coach Tuesday when Steve Spurrier resigned. Perhaps fearing the Cards would make an offer to Fassel when they interview him over the weekend in Tempe, Snyder insisted on taking the first shot.

"Obviously they feel a little bit of urgency," Fassel's agent, Steve Rosner, said last night.

Rosner said Fassel is "intrigued" by the idea of coaching the Redskins, and coaching against the Giants twice every year. Washington may be the only place Fassel could come close to getting near the $2.7 million he's due from the Giants next season. After all, Spurrier's five-year, $25 million contract was the richest deal an NFL coach had ever received.

Fassel's name sits atop a very short list for the Redskins, who were attempting yesterday to set up an interview with former Vikings coach Dennis Green. They also got permission from Seattle to interview defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes.
Honestly I think WAS is the second best job out there. Sure you'd have to deal with Snyder but what if Fassel is somebody that can. The team does have good talent and Snyder probably would bring in more. Not to mention they have a really good draft spot. They could finally get a good DT or take Kellen Winslow.

Cleveland Offensive Coordinator -- Norm Chow, not because I think it'll happen, but because I think it SHOULD happen
College Gameday is commenting on Norm Chow now. As a Browns fan, I'd like to see this guy here as OC. What I like best is Chow's comments about forming an offensive system around the talent of the players. Word here in Cleveland is that it will come to Tollner and Robiskie. I don't know too much about Tollner. Can anyone provide a little background info on this guy? Specifically the type of offense he would bring to a team?

Head Coaches

Cheers
Here is my take:Chicago - I don't think Saban leaves LSU, but I have no clue who they would look to after that. Maybe Fassel because his personality fits the city..LOL.

NYG - Coughlin is their choice.

Arizona - Denny Green. I posted this comment on another thread, but I think its a win-win. The Cards get a head coach who is a proven winner who will kick the tails of players who underperform and Green gets a chance to get back into the NFL as a head coach. Few other teams will take a chance on him. The only thing that will derail this deal is the Bidwell's tight wallet.

Oakland - They have a history of hiring up and coming coordinators so maybe Jim Johnson of the Eagles.

Atlanta - Almost certainly Lovie Smith.

Buffalo - I say Crennel because of his experience in that division although I'm unsure if he'd want to go head-to-head with Bellichek that often out of loyalty.

Washington - Jimmy Johnson (semi-retired). How can he resist coaching the Cowboy's arch-nemesis and sticking it to his old boss in the NFC East?!# OK, it probably won't happen because of Synder, but it would be great theater!! :yes:

espn.com

This link was off the blogger.

Len Pasquarelli picks'

Arizona -- Dennis Green

Atlanta -- Lovie Smith

Buffalo -- Ton Coughlin

Chicago-- Jim Fassel

Giants -- Romero Crennel

Oakland--Maurice Carthon ? or Rick Neuheisel

Washington-- Ray Rhodes

I question the Maurice Carthon- Oakland should not hire a rookie head coach. And poor Dennis Green in Arizona, I think Green would love to end up in Oakland.

espn.com

This link was off the blogger.

Len Pasquarelli picks'

Arizona -- Dennis Green

Atlanta -- Lovie Smith

Buffalo -- Ton Coughlin

Chicago-- Jim Fassel

Giants -- Romero Crennel

Oakland--Maurice Carthon ? or Rick Neuheisel

Washington-- Ray Rhodes

I question the Maurice Carthon- Oakland should not hire a rookie head coach. And poor Dennis Green in Arizona, I think Green would love to end up in Oakland.
Hey Warlord, look back a page... :)
Len Pasquarelli has made his own thoughts known in this article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1697489

It's a darn good read, it talks about each team's cap situation, talent level, whom he thinks they should hire, and whom they WILL hire. I won't reprint the entire article, but here are his thoughts on what each team SHOULD and WILL do...

Arizona Cardinals -- Should (Denny Green), Will (Denny Green)

Atlanta Falcons -- Should (Nick Saban), Will (Lovie Smith)
Buffalo Bills -- Should (Fassel or Coughlin), Will (Tom Coughlin)
Chicago Bears -- Should (Saban or Ferentz), Will (Jim Fassel)
New York -- Should (Crennel or Coughlin), Will (Crennel)
Oakland -- Should (Denny Green), Will (Neuheisel or Carthon)
Washington -- Should (Fassel), Will (Ray Rhodes :eek: )Cheers!

Oakland - They have a history of hiring up and coming coordinators so maybe Jim Johnson of the Eagles.
Up and coming? Isn't he like 90 years old? :D I'll take a stab at it:Arizona -- Dennis GreenAtlanta -- Lovie SmithBuffalo -- Tom CoughlinChicago-- Mike Mularkey (just took a shot in the dark...don't think Saban leaves LSU)Giants -- Romero Crennel Oakland--Rick NeuheiselWashington-- Jim Fassel

I think Rick Neuhiesel (sp?) is a perfect choice for Oakland. Hiring him will allow me to hate the Raiders in even more ways then I do now. :lol:

I don't think Saban is going anywhere. If LSU wins the BCS Championship Saban becomes the highest paid college coach, making $1 more than the current highest paid coach. I think that would be somewhere between $2.5 and $3 million.
I think the contract also has a claus that says he REMAINS the highest paid coach in college, so if somebody else in college coaching gets a fat raise, so does Saban.HERD

Why would anybody want one of the college coaches?This year's post season coachesBehlichekVermeilDungyFisherBillickShanahanReidMartzShermanFoxParcellsHomgrenNow, I have no idea if any of these have even been HC at the college level but the clear common thread is that all of these have come from the coaching staffs of successful (winning teams/post-season) NFL programs.So somebody else can have Saban and Ferentz, here in Chi-town, I'll take my chances with Fassell.

Denny Green had a positive interview with Ariz just a couple days back. Personally, I don't think he is a good fit. Ariz needs to bring in a no-nonsense type of guy to establish order in a “weak” franchise (Lions fan here so I know what I am talking about :ph34r: ) Someone of the Gruden/MLewis type. Denny is not the type of guy to turn that franchise around.Anyone know what Art Shell is up to these days? Last I heard he was the Oline coach somewhere. He deserves another shot at coaching in the NFL.

Head Coaches

Cheers
Hey guys,Just chiming in with an update. John "The Professor" Clayton was on the Mike & Mike Show this a.m. (ESPN Radio) and gave an update on all the coaching vacancies and how he sees them playing out.

New York Giants -- Coughlin is all but a done deal. The wires are picking up on this story too and JC said it should be official by tomorrow at the latest. He noted that Coughlin didn't interview elsewhere and the Giants were crossing their ts and dotting their is (i.e., covering their butts on the minority hiring rule) before making this official.
Buffalo -- Fassel is most likely the guy. The Bills have made it clear they want an established head coach and Fassel is the best of the bunch. Clayton said Fassel could be announced as early as tomorrow but should be a Bill by the end of the week. Fassel was a leading candidate for several other jobs (Washington, Arizona) but Jim eyed Bufflo because he sees a team that is ready to win now; moreso than the other spots. If for some reason Fassel falls through unexpectedly, Clayton said **** Jauron would be their second choice.
Oakland -- Denny Green is most likely the guy. With both Bruce Allen (Arizona, TB) and Lombardi (TB) probably leaving, Al will want to bring in a guy with personnel experience. Oakland will also pay Denny Green what he's perceived to be worth and it's a high profile enough job on the West Coast.
Atlanta -- The job is really down to two candidates according to the Professor, Lovie Smith and Jim Mora Jr. Smith holds a slight edge given his relationship with McKay but either could land the job depending on how the next round of interviews go. Clayton noted that Atlanta would be willing to pay Nick Saban $4 million per year if he wanted into the mix, but with that looking unlikely, it was going to be one of the two DCs.
Washington -- LOL, this one cracked me up. Ray Rhodes :eek: is the probibitive favorite. Fassel is believed to be Snyder's number one choice but Snyder is already resigned to not getting him. Rhodes is his choice because he was a DC in Washington, already knows Snyder, and has head coaching experience. You really have to wonder if Ray Rhodes was the best Synder could come up with???
Chicago -- The most wide open of the battles. Clayton said it's been a puzzling progression because Jerry Angelo said he wanted an offensive coach but yet he's interviewed nothing but defensive coaches. Clayton is hearing that it could be anyone of the current mix of assistants who've interviewed, too early to tell but that Chicago better be careful not to end up taking someone else's leftovers.
Arizona -- A mess of a situation b/c Arizona claims to be done interviewing, yet of the four guys they interviewed, the only one left at the dance is Philly's Jim Johnson. Clayton said that JJ actually would be considered the front runner with Fassel and Denny Green likely going elsewhere. Oh how I hope the Cards interview a few more folks.On a side note, if these hirings go down the way JC sees them, it would mean another year where Weis and Crennel were left out in the cold. You have to wonder why Ray Rhodes would be a better hire than either of those guys, don't you?

Cheers!

I'm very surprised more teams aren't interested in Al Saunders, Off. Coor. for KC. I know the Raiders brought him for an interview, and the only reason why I think Davis wouldn't give him a good shot at the job is because of personnel experience. You'd think that an OC that's helped put together one of the more explosive offense in the league would gather more attention.

Head Coaches

Cheers
Washington-Ray Rhodes get this job, a good fit.Chicago-Charlie Weis

Arizona- Denny Greene will get all the power he wants here

Giants-Tom Coughlin, they want discipline

Atlanta-Lovie Smith as McKay is the head of that coaching minority thing

Buffalo-Jim Fassal

Oakland- Could be Greene, but I'm really unsure on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread