What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ok, which team's are drafting a QB this year? (1 Viewer)

The Dolphins have to take a long hard look at Tua, the #3 pick and Watson. That's just due diligence. Their roster is strong enough that if they make the wrong choice here, they're staring down the barrel of perennial 6-10 to 9-7 QB purgatory. 
No argument there. Even if they aren't concerned about Tua, you look at what it takes to get Watson once he's available.

jtd13 said:
No argument there. Even if they aren't concerned about Tua, you look at what it takes to get Watson once he's available.
Definitely. I agree with whoever said trading up from Tua to Watson is a nice "face saving" technique for Greir. Whether we agree with it or not, saving face matters for job security in the NFL. Turning Tua into Watson is the perfect out for a pick that's looking dubious. Yeah, it's still a debate if Tua is the right guy. He could turn out fine, but you don't want to find out you ended up with the wrong guy and you're now sitting at pick #14 overall perennially until you're fired for not having a QB. Plus, the 1.03 feels like found money at this point. The Tunsil trade became, what, picks 25 last year, 3 & 36 this year? What a landslide lopsided once-in-a-lifetime victory! The hard part is getting the Texans to give you Watson, because then the Texans lose face by essentially trading Watson for Tunsil. Yes it was a former regime who traded for Tunsil, but the optics are still bad and optics matter. There are 32 NFL teams and maximum twenty have a realistic shot to win in a given year. The Texans are nowhere near the top 20. Trade Watson for Tua, 1.03, 1.18, a conditional 2022 pick and get it done. Maybe in 2022 or 2023 they have a realistic shot to be in the top 20 to win. Watson won't help them now, or then, because the well is spoiled. Take your four firsts and be happy.

jtd13 said:
People way overstate how Fitz looked IMO. He looked better than Tua at times, but Fitz also plays with an insane amount of DGAF. That helps a lot when your top WRs are an injured DVP (who has always been a guy who plays terribly through injuries, if he plays), Isaiah Ford, and Jakeem Grant. Those guys don't get separation. Fitz would sling it to them anyway. It works well in the short term, but we've seen enough of the beautiful fitzmagic show to know that eventually it blows up in the teams face. I'm pretty confident Herbert would also have struggled compared to Fitz in that situation. 
Great characterization of Fitzpatrick. He'll be a nice 1 to 2 year consolation prize for a team that doesn't draft a QB, or drafts a QB that needs more time. Fitzpatrick has 2 of the most memorable wins in recent history. The comeback miracle win over Chucky in 2020 and the defeat of Brady and Belichick in the last game of 2019, which made the KC path to the super bowl easier.

Oh my God. Gatorman, hide that cheeky apostrophe. It's simply catastrophic in the title there. Teams is plural, not possessive in this case. Please...

please...

jtd13 said:
Minority opinion, but this isn't even close to settled. Tua was throwing to 4th stringers in competitive games while Herbert was throwing to Allen, Ekeler, Williams, and Henry in comeback mode. The situations for passing stats couldn't have been more different. 
Hebert only threw well in comeback mode? I’m thinking you didn’t watch him play much.

Hebert only threw well in comeback mode? I’m thinking you didn’t watch him play much.
I didn't say that he only threw well in comeback mode, Just that he was in comeback mode a lot more than Tua. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't say that he only threw well in comeback mode, Just that he was in comeback mode a lot more than Tua. 
I'm not sure how true even that is - but even so, it's not just that Hebert's final stats were better it's just that he looks like and NFL QB out there while Tua really did not.

I'm not sure how true even that is - but even so, it's not just that Hebert's final stats were better it's just that he looks like and NFL QB out there while Tua really did not.
I don't disagree, just pointing out they were in pretty different situations. It's easier to look like an NFL QB when throwing to Keenan Allen and Mike Williams instead of injured DVP and Isaiah Ford against less aggressive defenses. 

I was responding to someone saying Miami obviously screwed up taking Tua. I think the Miami situation on offense (bad OL and bad WRs, but a good defense that keeps them in games) was terrible and I think Herbert probably would have struggled too. But we'll never know for sure. 

Plus, it's not like it was all roses for Herbert or all bad for Tua. Tua looked a heckuva lot more like an NFL QB when he played NE than Herbert did. And he looked more like an NFL QB than Herbert did when they faced off, but I know that's as much to do with the quality of the Chargers defense when Bosa is out as anything else. Tua's season ended on a really bad note against Buffalo in week 17, but I think that's driving the perception of his season more than it should. 

My guess is QBs go:
2 in the top 2
3 in the top 5
4 in the top 10
5 in rd1

First two to JAC & NYJ, most of the others to trade-ups. About a third of the league looking at QBs so lots of ways it could go.
4th didn't go until pick 11.

Users who are viewing this thread